This Day in Wrestling History - July 24

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The Lana thing is fine to me good, whereas the Hassan thing crossed the line and just entered poor taste, its a shame because to me he looked a decent talent.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
The Lana thing is fine to me good, whereas the Hassan thing crossed the line and just entered poor taste, its a shame because to me he looked a decent talent.
London bombings right?

Guessing Lana not eluding to the Malaysian flight being shot down isn't the same?

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
The London Bombings fiasco was just a poor coincidence too. It happened after that Smackdown was already taped, just before it aired.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Lana's remarks at Battleground were awful and just cheap, unnecessary heat. They should have been more professional. Either cut the entire promo or just relate about something, fuckin' c'mon it's not that difficult.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Than again, a group of masked men in fatigues garroting Undertaker would seem a bit overboard in all fairness.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Lana's remarks at Battleground were awful and just cheap, unnecessary heat. They should have been more professional. Either cut the entire promo or just relate about something, fuckin' c'mon it's not that difficult.
Why? We all complain about how heels can't be heels anymore.

If I was WWE, I would've totally went for it after the little backlash.....Have Lana read tweets on air in a mocking tone.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Why? We all complain about how heels can't be heels anymore.

If I was WWE, I would've totally went for it after the little backlash.....Have Lana read tweets on air in a mocking tone.

Didn't say they shouldn't be heels, there are other ways to get heat.

I will admit it would have been hilarious if they went further with it but I don't wanna give communists a damn thing.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
To be honest I have yet to catch up with Battleground so cannot comment until I see that. I was just commenting on what I had seen so far. Generally the tone here has been more playful, and working off an old historical rivery. I just think the whole thing with Hassan just rised some stuff which is depressing and very real, and which should be left out of wrestling which is supposed to be a way to escape the troubles of every day life after all.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Pro wrestling has been using nationalism, racism, and jingoism since World War 2. They had Nazi characters damn near until the 50s, it's just a stage show, this shit is Vaudeville, and they are going to do shit that not everyone likes.....That's the whole point.

What is different from pro wrestling than say.............Homeland? Or Book of Mormon?

I thought the Hassan character had legs, but I didn't like the performer who was playing it. Wasn't any good, wasn't a great talker and had a worse Flatliner than Scott Steiner.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Pro wrestling has been using nationalism, racism, and jingoism since World War 2. They had Nazi characters damn near until the 50s, it's just a stage show, this shit is Vaudeville, and they are going to do shit that not everyone likes.....That's the whole point.

What is different from pro wrestling than say.............Homeland? Or Book of Mormon?

I thought the Hassan character had legs, but I didn't like the performer who was playing it. Wasn't any good, wasn't a great talker and had a worse Flatliner than Scott Steiner.

The difference IMO is that drama on television or whereever (can't comment on BOM really), is meant to explore dark and interesting areas of the real world, but the point is when you see someone playing a rapist, its not like that actor or the people making the drama is justifying rape or getting off on it, but they are just tackling a real life issue. But when you introduce it into something which is understood to be more entertainment then it feels more explictive and tends to leave a bad taste in peoples mouths, but not in a good way. Also, very rarely do this storylines actually produce money anyway, putting aside the moral issure over the whole Slaughter-Hogan feud from 91, the reality is Wrestlemania 7 was one of the worse drawing in history, it did not sell out the origainal arena it was going to staged at and WWF recieved a lot of bad press too.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
The difference IMO is that drama on television or whereever (can't comment on BOM really), is meant to explore dark and interesting areas of the real world, but the point is when you see someone playing a rapist, its not like that actor or the people making the drama is justifying rape or getting off on it, but they are just tackling a real life issue. But when you introduce it into something which is understood to be more entertainment then it feels more explictive and tends to leave a bad taste in peoples mouths, but not in a good way. Also, very rarely do this storylines actually produce money anyway, putting aside the moral issure over the whole Slaughter-Hogan feud from 91, the reality is Wrestlemania 7 was one of the worse drawing in history, it did not sell out the origainal arena it was going to staged at and WWF recieved a lot of bad press too.
How exactly are characters in a staged setting justifying anything in professional wrestling? Was the Muhamed Hassas character justifying the London bombings by simply existing?

That is just a crazy notion and it just paints such a broad stroke on wrestling fans.....so we have to expect that all wrestling fans are idiots, so they can't possibly distinguish between stage show and reality?