The Wrestler and its affect on wrestling

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Airfixx

They had a big article in Sports Illustrated last week, saying that it's the "Best Sports Movie of the Year". So yeah, this looks like it'll be pretty good.

And you honestly buy into such a rediculous statement from such a source?

How many other sports movies are being released in the first 16 days of 2009?

PE-dontbelieve.jpg

Montana

I just saw the film, and i thought it was a good movie. In some crazy way it reminded me a 8 mile, perhaps by the setting, and filiming tactics they used. Its worth checking out if your a wrestling fan.

As far as, will it help Ring of Honor....well it can't hurt. I wouldn't expect big noticable change, but ROH has been growing every year, so this should help in some way.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
And you honestly buy into such a rediculous statement from such a source?

How many other sports movies are being released in the first 16 days of 2009?

PE-dontbelieve.jpg

I was using that as an example, because there's been other sources that said it was amazing, not just people involved in wrestling. all of the reviews I've seen were positive, so I don't see anything wrong in saying that the movie should be pretty good.

Don't Believe the Hype - Good Song btw.

Hometown Kid

I just saw it. It's hardly even a wrestling movie, There were more deli scenes than wrestling scenes. But yeah I got an "8-Mile" impression from it too. It was shot in a weird way I guess.

It won't do anything for wrestling.

As far as ROH goes it probably won't hurt but I think most non-wrestling fans who see the movie will just think it's a fake promotion for the movie only.

chavoheat

Reaction score
I don't think there's going to be a lot of people who will start watching wrestling simply because of this movie.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Just saw the film. It was good. I enjoyed it.

Is this going to have any effect on wrestling. After now having seen the flick, no it won't. The movie is more about Mickey Rourke than anything else. That is all anyone is going to care about.

J

Doubt it will have an affect on the wrestling community, but it was a really good movie, is that for the fact it was a wrestling movie, well yea that is kinda of mostly the reason I enjoyed it but it also did have a really good storyline. The ending would have been sad had it not been so predictable.

taikimoto

Reaction score
Other then the fact this is one of the best Mickey Rourke movies. It won't do a thing for professional wrestling. This movie even though up for academy awards
has grossed only 9million to date so obviously people aren't flocking to the shows to see it. Rourke's plug on Raw this past monday will do more for wrestling then the movie but it will now kill any chance of him winning an award.

NewHBK

Reaction score
First I thought, it might hurt the already bad general perception of wrestling. But i think it will give wrestling a short-term boost now. And if WWE does things right, maybe they can benefit long-term from that new interest.