The WP Rap Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Kendrick gets old for me. I like him and all, but some of his songs seem phoned in or something..

The Viper

Reaction score
Kendrick is incredibly, incredibly overrated. To me, he doesn't know how to "ride a beat". Like, his flow isn't all that. Doesn't captivate me like it should.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Drake went pretty hard on Fuckin' Problem. I still remember the verse beginning to end and I haven't listened to that track in like 3 months. His verse is just that catchy.

Speaking of people getting killed on tracks though, Wiz made Drake look like a punk in his Started From The Bottom remix (one of my fav remixes this year)

[video=youtube;AVV4KK8q090]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVV4KK8q090[/video]

Took a song with a great beat and below average lyrics from Drake and made that shit pop. His 30 seconds beat Drake's entire time on the track. My only complaint is that his verse wasn't longer.

The Viper

Reaction score
Wiz is aight, I guess. Hated his last album and wasn't a fan of Rolling Papers.

For some reason, I can't watch that video on mobile but I think I've heard the verse before. I'll check it out "ASAP".

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Wiz also killed UOENO. And he did a verse to Karate Chop but it wasn't anything special tbh.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Drake is the king currently.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Kendrick.

Please elaborate and don't just post one word answers.

Kendrick is far from the king you have to have a history of more then just a few years. The king of mainstream will be Jay Z until he stops putting out dope albums. The king of the underground is R.A. The Rugged Man but for some reason people listen to whack ass phony MCs and not real ones so hardly anyone knows about RA and of course the king of the nerdcore rap will always be mc chris.

Joey

Reaction score
Please elaborate and don't just post one word answers.

My bad, i forgot that one word answers count as spam. Allow me to elaborate.

I'd say he's the kind of the newer culture/wave of artists that hit the scene. Theres always gonna be guys that cam before him, but I'd say he takes the crown as of now.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
My bad, i forgot that one word answers count as spam. Allow me to elaborate.

I'd say he's the kind of the newer culture/wave of artists that hit the scene. Theres always gonna be guys that cam before him, but I'd say he takes the crown as of now.

Actually if you want to look at the rap game and what newer acts have had the biggest impact on the way music is made, then Odd Future are actually leading the way more than Kendrick and his Black Hippie crew. No one is calling Tyler the king though even though he's unleashed a new style of production on the world and has influenced the music of Kanye West (the highest digitally sold rap artist in history and influencer of the likes of Drake, Kid Cudi and Childish Gambino) and Jay-Z and released Frank Ocean (who is on everybody's album in some capacity) on us on top of having his own TV show and one of the largest hip hop conglomerates in the history of the game. Kendrick isn't really groundbreaking because his style is heavily influenced by Tupac and other west coast rap acts from his childhood. He just has a distinct voice and that's his major selling point. If you look at the landscape of rap, there are lots of rappers going platinum. For me, each sub-genre of rap has it's own king. If there is a true king of rap at the moment, it's between Jay, Ye and Drake with lots of really popular guys like Wiz, Rick Ross, Kendrick, Tyler, ASAP, Wayne, 2 Chainz and even T.I. who have their own claims but the guys who are head and shoulders above the rest are Drake, Yeezy and Jay.

Joey

Reaction score
Yeah I mean, I'm a huge OF Fan. I think the whole idea appeals to me, and weather you like it or not, they are doing something unique. None of their albums have disappointed me so far, and I'm excited for whats next. the problem is, the media will never consider OF as a prospect of the hip hop culture. The hip hop scene wants to deny OF exists. Its too edgy for Radio, and to risqué for MTV. Tyler the Creator will always be there, but he and OF will never be the face of the rap/hip-hop scene. Radio Stations need to pump out whatever the mainstream audience agrees with. And unfortunately, the mainstream audience doesn't usually agree with Odd Future.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I find Tyler to be incredibly overrated but then again it's so hard for me to get into an new mainstream hip hop. I don't hate it all by any means but when I can listen to a new dope underground album every few weeks making time for the watered down garbage that's on the radio is not a priority to me.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Yeah I mean, I'm a huge OF Fan. I think the whole idea appeals to me, and weather you like it or not, they are doing something unique. None of their albums have disappointed me so far, and I'm excited for whats next. the problem is, the media will never consider OF as a prospect of the hip hop culture. The hip hop scene wants to deny OF exists. Its too edgy for Radio, and to risqué for MTV. Tyler the Creator will always be there, but he and OF will never be the face of the rap/hip-hop scene. Radio Stations need to pump out whatever the mainstream audience agrees with. And unfortunately, the mainstream audience doesn't usually agree with Odd Future.

I'm not saying he'll ever be the king of rap. However he has made a bigger impact on the rap from a musical and stylistic standpoint than Kendrick probably ever will.