The Wing Kong Exchange (feat. Inferno)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Re: The Wing Kong Exchange

I remember as a kid, my mom used to get so mad at me, I would rewatch this movie, over and over, she even told me I used to recite every line from the movie. I was four watching this, but Jaws gave me nightmares, and this didn't. XD Amazing review of a true classic.
Thanks. I don't recall ever getting nightmares from this one either, nor did I get them from Jaws. However, I had plenty of them about the movie Eye of the Needle and I honestly don't know why because its not scary at all. It's odd that different things make different people afraid. For example, my nephew is 3 years old and loves skulls, to the point that we had a horror-themed birthday party and watched The Goonies, but he's deathly afraid of peacock's and cries when he sees them at the zoo. Does that make any sense at all? :lol:

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE

Thanks. I don't recall ever getting nightmares from this one either, nor did I get them from Jaws. However, I had plenty of them about the movie Eye of the Needle and I honestly don't know why because its not scary at all. It's odd that different things make different people afraid. For example, my nephew is 3 years old and loves skulls, to the point that we had a horror-themed birthday party and watched The Goonies, but he's deathly afraid of peacock's and cries when he sees them at the zoo. Does that make any sense at all? :lol:

XD No it doesn't make sense. It's hard to say why it is that. Maybe as a since our minds are so active it's something within the brain itself that controls that. I mean, I got a fear of sharks. I was in Miami and I went into the ocean, I went to about my waist, I'm super cool. I guess another topic in some other thread we can debate what creates fears in kids. Interesting subject.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Great flick. I believe Remero shot this in PA here not to far away from me during the summer where the leaves from the trees made the road dark as night during the day. The place now has a stigma of being haunted thanks to his films and I believe he shot some other scenes to the sequels there as well. Great review.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Great flick. I believe Remero shot this in PA here not to far away from me during the summer where the leaves from the trees made the road dark as night during the day. The place now has a stigma of being haunted thanks to his films and I believe he shot some other scenes to the sequels there as well. Great review.

Thanks. I think he shot most of Dawn of the Dead in Monroeville or at least he used the mall there. I can imagine most people are creeped out when they drive the road in the beginning of the movie.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Yeah and there is a pond around here too. The Monroeville mall is like 40 miles from me. That road is a little further north though.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Yeah and there is a pond around here too. The Monroeville mall is like 40 miles from me. That road is a little further north though.
How far is the road from Pittsburgh? At the very beginning of the film Johnny is complaining that they need to get closer to Pittsburgh because the drive is too far for him. I was kind of wondering whether that was accurate or whether they just made it up for the movie.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

I believe that road is like 30 miles from Pittsburgh or a little further.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

I believe that road is like 30 miles from Pittsburgh or a little further.

Haha, he makes it seem like they have to drive for hours to get to the cemetery!

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Haha, he makes it seem like they have to drive for hours to get to the cemetery!

I know but hey its a movie and they like to embellish a little so I have no issues with it, plus back then it probably did take longer to get there with slower driving speeds too. I mean it does take me an 1 and 30minutes to get there and its only 55 miles to Pittsburgh because of traffic and dumb ass tunnels which ruin traffic.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Dawn of the Dead

l_77402_b2cab027-1.jpg

The country has been overrun by zombies, prompting chaos, panic and mass hysteria everywhere. Two TV station employees, Stephen and Fran, along with two S.W.A.T. team members, Peter and Roger, commandeer a helicopter and escape. They eventually occupy a local shopping mall, forming a kind of coexistence with the zombies, until the mall is invaded by a biker gang threatening to destroy the foursome's safe haven and forcing a final confrontation.

DOTD1.jpg

After spending nearly a decade working on other projects, George A. Romero felt the time was right to return to the genre that made him famous, and so in 1978 he unleashed Dawn of the Dead on the world. A decade of experience served him well, as the film surpasses its predecessor in nearly every facet, creating a taught and tense horror/thriller that also has a sharp and biting wit. While his first film, Night of the Living Dead, can be considered the film that kick started the entire zombie genre, Dawn of the Dead is clearly the one that popularized it. From the moment it begins until the final seconds before the credits roll, there is nothing about Dawn of the Dead that doesn't work. Every single moment counts for something, every character has a purpose and every bit of dialogue holds some meaning. That Romero was capable of crafting such a stellar film within the confines of the horror genre is shocking, that he was able to do this while also surpassing the original is nothing short of miraculous. There are few horror films that have as lasting an impact as Dawn of the Dead and even fewer that make bold social commentaries as well. Perhaps its just Romero's cup of tea, since many of his non-zombie efforts fall short of the mark, but whatever it is we should all be thankful it exists.

DOTD6.jpg

"They're not just coming for Barbara this time."

Romero once again wrote and directed (and edited the film as well) and once again it proved to be a smart move, since his total control allowed the film to be fully realized the way he wanted it to be. The first and most noticeable change here is definitely the use of colour, something that instantly distanced it from its predecessor. Romero chose to use a stark set of colour tones and constantly saturates the lens with them, almost as if he's making up for not using them in the original film. Along with this he chose to shoot blood in a slightly brighter shade than it would normally be, creating a sense of both the surreal and the comical. This helps to balance out some of the more vile events that occur in the film, and while they are certainly grotesque there is a sense of ease when watching them that cannot be properly defined. Meanwhile, the script he churned out for this one is nothing short of brilliant, giving all the main characters enough dialogue and back story to make us fully invested in them while still writing an excellent scenario for them to inhabit. It seems like a simple thing to do, yet thousands of filmmakers cannot grasp these concepts and so their films suffer. Romero's Dawn of the Dead plays as a textbook example of how to make the perfect horror/zombie film and its not a surprise to me that it has never been fully duplicated; even by Romero himself.

DOTD5.jpg

"Just remember, aim for the head or you'll be having a pretty bad day."

The cast here is once again peppered with relative unknowns, though these actors are certainly up to the task of telling this unique story. While its mostly an ensemble piece featuring four lead actors, the main "hero" of the group is certainly Peter, played by Ken Foree. He's joined by his fellow officer Roger, played by Scott H. Reininger and the helicopter couple Fran (Gaylen Ross) and Stephen (David Emge). These actors are all quite good in their roles and bring a lot to the table, particularly in their interactions with each other. They all have diverse personalities; Peter is the level headed one, Roger the arrogant, Stephen the weak and Fran the conscience. All of these separate personalities come into play more than once and each actor manages to portray both them and the emotions that they entail properly. Reininger is especially excellent here, particularly once he's bitten by a zombie and starts slowly becoming one himself. His dialogue with Peter just before he turns is among the best in the film and his eventual fate doesn't make us sad so much as realize that he's finally been released from the nightmare he's recently been living. Foree is also very good, and gets a lot of the juicy dialogue like the classic "when there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth", a line that features on the films poster. I'd also like to point out how awesome Emge's work is once he finally becomes a zombie; his walk is among the best I've seen any actor pull off when playing one. Outside of the main four there's many supporting roles including Tom Savini as a biker, but most of them are just used as plot devices, much like the myriad of zombies that populate the film.

DOTD4.jpg

"Even zombies miss the NHL."

As with Night of the Living Dead, Romero chose to use Dawn of the Dead as a soapbox for some hefty social commentary, this time focusing on consumerism as his main target. The mall setting is an obvious reference to this and one can't help but chuckle at the zombies attempting to get inside the mall even though they have no need to shop. As one character puts it, they don't know why, but they want to be there all the same. Romero's point here appears to be that zombies, mindless consumers of flesh, are no different than the large amount of people who seek refuge in malls, buying things they don't really need just because they can. As the years go by, this message becomes even more and more poignant and its amazing to see just how bang on Romero was with it even back then. There's also a sharp focus on the predictability of human nature here and the idea of holding on to societal values even though they no longer exist. One example of this is Peter and Roger going to the bank and choosing to walk through the rope passage even though they could simply jump the counter. Hell, the fact that they're even taking money is kind of bizarre given the events occurring around them, but as Peter points out, you never know right? At the same time, even zombies are still functioning according to the conventions of humanity. There's one that sits in a fountain picking out coins even though it has no use for them, simply proving the point that, human or not, we're all creatures of habit. It's these lofty concepts that easily set Dawn of the Dead apart from both its predecessor and every other zombie film to follow; its high brow but it works beautifully.

DOTD2.jpg

"No amount of Tylenol is fixing this."

Aside from the higher concept stuff there's also a lot of the wild and crazy as well. Romero enlisted the help of Tom Savini, the makeup and effects master responsible for pretty much all the most despicable kills in the history of horror cinema. Here he outdoes himself with exploding heads, limbs being severed (including a hilarious scene with a blood pressure machine) and some good old decapitations for good measure. The effects do come across as pretty primitive, but that just enhances their quality and the raw impact they bring to the table. Even the zombie makeup is simple, nothing like the over the top stuff that is seen today, and that in turn makes the zombies seem more real than they otherwise would have. However, for all the gross out moments, its still the basics that scare the most in this picture. In the second act, the main characters have killed off all the zombies and claimed the mall for themselves. What do they do? Well they basically burn themselves out and get bored, wandering around aimlessly looking for things to do. Peter spends some time hitting tennis balls on the roof and for a moment we forget about all the horror that has come before, until one falls off and lands next to a bunch of zombies. We're suddenly snapped back into the reality of the situation and that is a lot more scary than simply seeing a zombie munch on some hapless victims neck, though that's pretty cool too! At the end of the day, Dawn of the Dead is nothing short of a flawless horror film, operating just as easily when making reflective observations on humanity as it does when its showing a machete sticking out of some poor zombie's head. It's hard to imagine what was going on in Romero's mind when he was putting this together, but one thing's for sure; its a definite winner.

DOTD3.jpg

"Being a zombie would be a real pain in the neck."

Dawn of the Dead was shot on a budget of $500,000 and grossed over $55 million at the box office, another stellar result for Romero and his little zombie films that could. Romero had proven that you could make an intelligent and meaningful horror film and still draw huge money and so began to envision the next chapter, though he'd take a little time off to do a couple of other films as well. We'll be checking out that third chapter tomorrow but today the praise has to keep coming for Dawn of the Dead because its simply that good. Even though there's been a remake (don't worry, we'll be looking at that one too), nothing holds a candle to the original or its high concept execution. In a world full of zombies, its the human element that makes Romero's films, particularly this one, hold such deep and wonderful meaning. Grotesque, bizarre, surreal and satirical, it will undoubtedly stand the test of time and I can safely say there will never be another film quite like it. That's enough for me to give it the vaunted 10/10 and my absolute highest recommendation, so get to watching right away and be here tomorrow when we finish off this little trilogy with my good pal Bub.

DOTD7.jpg

"Tomorrow....choke on 'em."

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Day of the Dead

l_88993_f86f4606.jpg

Zombies have overrun the United States, leaving a trail of death and destruction in their path. All major cities have long since been evacuated, creating virtual ghost towns throughout the country. A small group of survivors, scientists and soldiers, occupy an underground bunker on the outskirts of one of these towns. The scientists are attempting to tame the zombies while the soldiers want nothing more than to see them dead. When the soldiers discover some of their own men are being used in the scientists experiments, the two groups will turn on each other and potentially prove more dangerous than their common foe.

DAY1.jpg

After the success of both Night of the Living Dead and its sequel, Dawn of the Dead, George A. Romero once again went on a brief hiatus from his zombie friends, shooting Knightriders and Creepshow in the early 1980's. However, you can't keep a good zombie down for long so in 1985 Romero unleashed the third and final film in his original Dead trilogy, Day of the Dead on the public. In many ways both a satisfying and fitting end to the story started way back in 1968 and continued 10 years later, it offers a glimpse into the future of his world and a somewhat optimistic ending. At the same time, it suffers from a few issues, most notably a lack of the strong social commentary that made the first two films so thought provoking. That's not to say that the commentary doesn't exist, just that too often its abandoned in favour of shock value, foul language and predictable characters. However, even with its minor flaws, Day of the Dead stands as yet another shining example of why George A. Romero is the quintessential zombie filmmaker and the rightful father of the genre itself. It doesn't have the benefit of being as ground breaking as the first or as perfectly symmetrical as the second, but it's got something intangible that forces us to pay attention and remember just why these films are so great.

DAY2.jpg

"So I guess this whole zombie thing isn't just a fad eh?"

For the third time, Romero both wrote and directed and as with the first two, it was the best possible choice. Romero's unique style is fully on display here and though he spends a great deal of time in a confined space he certainly gets the most out of it. I'd describe his style here as minimal in both the script and the way that he chose to film it. He doesn't try to fill the script with as much intelligent dialogue as he did in Dawn of the Dead, preferring here to focus on the utter futility that his main characters are suffering through. This is a world where there is no hope, no escape and no positive prospects on the horizon, and the characters are written as such, becoming human versions of the zombies they're trying to avoid. At the same time, he imbues each of them with just enough differences that they still stand out even though they have all essentially become hopeless automatons. In shooting the film, he tends to focus on drab and dull colours, going against the rich palette he used in Dawn and harkening back to Night's stark black and white imagery. This serves to make the film feel as different to Dawn as that one did to Night and really makes it stand out as its own little piece of the puzzle. It appears as though shooting a couple of films in between served him well, as his technique here is perhaps even stronger than it was in Dawn, no small feat indeed. Finally, as he did with the first two films, Romero chose a cast of mostly unknown actors to fill the roles he wrote, and while some are passable at best, one gives a standout performance on par with any of the others in the series.

DAY3.jpg

"For those about to rock, Bub salutes you."

For those who haven't yet seen the film, a main plot point centers around the work of the brilliant yet clearly mad scientist, Dr. Logan, and his attempt to "humanize" the zombies to the point of taming them. Richard Liberty tackles this role with gusto, easily portraying the fine line between genius and insanity and is a real treat to watch. However, he pales in comparison to the true star of the film, his best subject, a zombie he nicknames Bub. This role is played by Howard Sherman, and it is an absolutely must see performance given the character he's portraying. Most zombie actors just sort of shuffle around aimlessly and don't seem to add anything in the way of nuance to their performances. Sherman totally goes against this archetype and gives Bub as much life as possible, particularly when interacting with common household objects like a telephone or a razor. Granted he has way more screen time than any other zombie in these films, but the fact remains that Sherman nails his role right out of the park, becoming on of the more beloved characters in Romero's trilogy. His breakdown after seeing his "father" dead is quite touching and a really emotional moment that comes just at the right time. Outside of Bub, the rest of the cast ranges from good to mediocre and each character does have a part to play even though many are predictable. I enjoyed Lori Cardille's Sarah as she plays the first really strong female character in the series. It's also hard not to love the over the top, jerk of the year performance by Joseph Pilato in the role of Rhodes, the colonel who is clearly cracking under the pressure of being responsible for the survival of the rest. His little dialogue about running the monkey farm and the masturbation habits of the scientists is among my favourite in the film and Pilato seems quite at ease playing this total douchebag of a character.

DAY4.jpg

"You can't blame him for being mad, look at that haircut."

Romero's original Dead films, much like his zombies, are creatures of habit and this one is no different. As with the first two, it begins in a relatively open space before moving into confined quarters for its duration. Where the first film was set in a farmhouse and the second a mall, this one takes place in an underground military bunker, a deceptively "safe" haven. Of course just like the farm and the mall, its the farthest thing from safe, particularly once the soldiers find out about Logan's little transgressions with their fallen brothers. That then leads to the same old man vs. man dynamic that we've seen twice before, though its cunningly turned into a brain vs. brawn theme in an attempt to freshen things up a little. Most of the time this works, though there are more than a few moments where it appears we're simply watching another version of the first two films. That's not even really a bad thing because the first two are so great, but I think it would have been nice to see a little originality here from time to time. That being said, the Bub storyline and the moral implications it brings up are one of the films strong points, along with its overly upbeat ending, though that may be more of a dream than actual reality. The bottom line here is that, along with all the above, you get to see a bunch of military ass clown's get royally owned by some zombies and that's always a good thing right?

DAY5.jpg

"Praying won't help you dude...just saying."

Once again convergent personalities are on display here, though this time its a female that takes center stage as the hero. Her bickering with the character of Rhodes is fairly similar to that of Ben and Harry's in the original, but its somewhat refreshing to see it occur between opposite sexes. As I said earlier, I love the character of Sarah and think she's got some real spunk, but her arguments with Rhodes, that basically just descend into shouting matches, tend to kill all the drama that the film was attempting to build up. At the same time, there's just not a lot to love about any of the other human characters since most are caricatures who use annoying accents to cover up their lack of personality. Say what you will about some of the characters in the first two, but at the very least it was easy to identify with them and their plight. Here I couldn't care less about any of them except Sarah and part of that is because I want to see her boobs. I guess I could say I care about Bub but he's a zombie and you're not supposed to care about him. There's just nothing really positive about any of the characters here and the survivors are the safest bet since Ripley was listed as a +450 vs. the Xenomorphs. I think if these characters had been just a little more likeable (or at the very least didn't all shout so much), this film would have been close to as good as Dawn of the Dead. Sadly they're not, and while it does end the trilogy on a somewhat positive note, it remains the weakest of the three, which still puts it head and shoulders above 95% of the rest of the zombie genre!

DAY6.jpg

"Wasn't that guy in The Goonies too?"

Day of the Dead was shot on a budget of $3.5 million (more than three times the combined budget of the first two) and grossed over $34 million at the box office. These numbers are still quite good, though I'm sure the studio (and Romero) most likely expected more. Romero decided to once again abandon the zombie genre and focus on making bizarre films like Monkey Shines (previously reviewed by yours truly) and the dreadful Stephen King adaptation, The Dark Half. However, even with these duds on his resume, his legacy remains firmly entrenched in film culture due to these zombie films. While Day of the Dead isn't as strong as its older brothers, it still has a lot more to offer than many of the imitators that have come since and does cap off the trilogy well, which is more than enough reason to check it out. Just don't expect another Dawn of the Dead, because with the characters that populate this film, you'll probably just find yourself rooting for the zombies instead! 7.5/10.

DAY7.jpg

"Tomorrow....he's hunting what?"

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

I always root for the Zombies in most films. Great reviews Fuji.

The COD franchise now has Zombie modes in their games where you have to survive waves of Zombies coming in from everywhere. They decided to become smart asses and threw in George Romero along with Sara M. Gellar, Michael Rooker, Danny Trejo, and Robert England. Romero gets turned into an Angry Zombie that won't die ever.

[video=youtube;fZmoY3JfU1g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmoY3JfU1g[/video]

Here is what introduced when you started this its fucking funny:

[video=youtube;xW4fnF6Dyvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW4fnF6Dyvw&feature=fvwp&NR=1[/video]

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE

Yeah Call Of Duty jumped in. But I love Day Of The Dead, if I remember correctly that mostly ends up taking place in a mall correct?

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Yeah Call Of Duty jumped in. But I love Day Of The Dead, if I remember correctly that mostly ends up taking place in a mall correct?

That was Dawn of the dead along with the remake too.

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE

Ahh, stupid me. I've seen so many movies in my life it's hard to remember them all. AHAHAH