The Wing Kong Exchange (feat. Inferno)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
Re: The Wing Kong Exchange

I had similar thoughts about who he really was, and Patrick Bateman was real, but everything else was all in his head. As you said he is a faceless, nameless person in the crowd. One thing that really made me think (at the end mind you) that it was all fake was when he dropped the chainsaw down the stairwell to kill someone.

Still a great mind fuck of a movie though. I do love all the Huey Lewis and the News references and songs. The way he broke the songs down a couple of times was awesome.

I did like Reese Witherspoon's character for one reason. She was the same nameless, faceless person that Patrick was. She only cared about herself and material possessions.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

I had similar thoughts about who he really was, and Patrick Bateman was real, but everything else was all in his head. As you said he is a faceless, nameless person in the crowd. One thing that really made me think (at the end mind you) that it was all fake was when he dropped the chainsaw down the stairwell to kill someone.
Another is when Dafoe comes to question him the second time and pulls out the Huey Lewis CD that he just bought. There's no way things could be that coincidental. I'm pretty sure Dafoe's character is supposed to represent Bateman's desire to confess and be guilt free, but at the same time it also exists to feed his ego. Given Dafoe's suspicious nature, it stands to reason that Bateman has fashioned himself as the prime suspect in Allen's disappearance, which is a pretty egotistical thing to do.

Still a great mind fuck of a movie though. I do love all the Huey Lewis and the News references and songs. The way he broke the songs down a couple of times was awesome.
I always thought that he had just memorized that stuff from someone else's work, much like he memorized the Zagat guide before he went to dinner with Evelyn's friend. He perfectly repeated what that guide would have said, right down to the pretentious adjectives that its so famous for. In this sense, Bateman is even less of a person. He literally has no mind at all and just copies other things, trying desperately to pretend that they're his own original thoughts. Then, when he finally does have original thoughts, they're of killing people by dropping chainsaws on them and stuffing cats into ATM's. What a fucking weirdo! :lol:

I did like Reese Witherspoon's character for one reason. She was the same nameless, faceless person that Patrick was. She only cared about herself and material possessions.
Yes, she was meant to be a female version of Bateman, which is why he "broke up" with her towards the end. He was trying to cut that last bit of Bateman out of his persona and, coincidentally, went totally batshit crazy that same night.

One things for sure, not only is it a great movie, it has phenomenal re-watch value, because you'll always pick up on a couple more examples of why the whole thing (or at least a large portion of it) is imaginary.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

Yeah, I really need to watch it again. It has been a few years. But it is one of those movies that does have great replay value. Maybe I will watch it again tonight when Zoey goes to bed. She is starting to cry at horror movies. I don't know if she is crying because they scare her, or if she feels that they are stupid and beneath her, like Scream 4.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Yeah, I really need to watch it again. It has been a few years. But it is one of those movies that does have great replay value. Maybe I will watch it again tonight when Zoey goes to bed. She is starting to cry at horror movies. I don't know if she is crying because they scare her, or if she feels that they are stupid and beneath her, like Scream 4.

I think kids get scared by weird shit. I mean obviously a Jack in the Box is going to scare any kid but what is it about certain movies? I remember being scared by the Donald Sutherland movie Eye of the Needle when I was a kid. That movie isn't even scary, so I've decided it was either the soundtrack or Donald Sutherland's face.

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Love this movie hate Reese with all my fiber

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
u6DnU5I

It's in my top 5 of all-time movies. My friend also had a theory that Patrick actually is Marcus Halberstram and that everybody else was mistaking him not Paul Allen. There's two things in the book and movie. I love the name Paul Allen from the film, hate the name Paul Owen from the book. Allen just rolls off the tongue more. I also love the name Timothy Price from the book and hate the name Timothy Bryce from the film. Besides that it truly is one of the more accurate adaptations from book to screen. Even though:

In the book Patrick never actually killed that blonde from the club she was one of the only ones who got away because Patrick was actually having human feelings about her.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Love this movie hate Reese with all my fiber

She's very hateable in the movie, so either she's like that in real life or she's a really good actress. I'm going with a bit of both.

TheAlmightyMitch said:
My friend also had a theory that Patrick actually is Marcus Halberstram and that everybody else was mistaking him not Paul Allen.
That's a theory I was discussing with someone as well. It's certainly plausible, though I tend to believe that he really doesn't even have a name at all. I love the Patrick is really Paul Allen theory, but its really hard to get around.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Don't Look Now

l_69995_ed1c4f48.jpg

After the tragic drowning death of their young daughter, John and Laura Baxter head to Venice to try and rebuild. John has take a job restoring old cathedrals while Laura whiles the days away taking pills. A chance meeting with two old women, one who claims to have "second sight", gives Laura a new perspective on life as she believes their daughter is still with them. John has reservations about this, though he also has visions of his own, including a child dressed much like his daughter wandering the streets.

DLN1.jpg

Don't Look Now, released in 1973, can be considered a true horror film in the strictest sense. It always takes itself seriously, plays heavily on the fears of its viewers and establishes a prominent sense of dread. That it does this in an artistic way, devoid of cheap gags or thrills, is simply staggering. While its contemporaries, films like The Exorcist or The Omen, chose to go straight for the jugular with great success, Don't Look Now prefers to weave an intricate spider's web, slowly pulling you in until its ready to devour your senses. Building from an agonizing beginning to an absolutely chilling climax, it may be the first example of the slow burn film done properly. At the same time, it also provides a twist ending which leaves the viewer with many unanswered questions and an unsettling feeling that cannot be explained through words alone. Truly not a film to watch alone in the dark in the middle of the night, Don't Look Now is not for everyone, but those that dare take a peek will find their preconceived notions about cinema irrevocably changed.

DLN2.jpg

"Wait, she can't even look now, she's freaking blind!"

The film is directed by Nicolas Roeg, a modern master responsible for films like Performance, Walkabout and The Man Who Fell To Earth. Roeg is one of the true visionaries when it comes to the way the medium of film is used, creating beautiful works of art that literally come to life in front of our eyes. Here he uses a strong visual style contrasted with dreary backgrounds to tell this subtly complex tale or grief, despair and premonition. He works from a screenplay by Alan Scott and Chris Bryant (who wrote Sword of Gideon, an excellent television film technically remade as Steven Spielberg's Munich). This screenplay was based on a short story by Daphne Du Maurier (Hitchcock's The Birds) and certainly bears her unique touch. While the script itself is merely meant to provide a series of plot devices to move the story forward, its still serviceable and features some great dialogue. However, it is Roeg's work with cinematographer Anthony Richmond and editor Graeme Clifford that deserves special attention. Their collaboration here results in nothing short of an astounding visual experience, particularly in the opening scene and the final twenty minutes. Add to that an eerie score by Pino Donaggio and you have the makings for a technical masterpiece even before you add in the excellent performances and the psychological effect the film has on its viewers.

DLN4.jpg

"Whatever Sutherland's looking at, he's looking at it like a creeper."

Donald Sutherland stars as Paul Baxter, a man who wears his despair and grief over the death of his daughter on his sleeve. He chooses to drink his sorrows away most of the time, though occasionally he'll come up for air to lash out at his wife. She's played by Julie Christie and while she initially has a more subdued role, her true personality comes to the forefront as the film progresses. They have excellent chemistry (I believe they were dating at the time) and it certainly shows in the intensely erotic sex scene between the two early on in the film. Meanwhile, support comes from Clelia Matania and Hilary Mason as the two sisters who encounter Christie and set things in motion. Mason in particular is completely chilling in her performance and more than once had me cringing with how effective she was. Massimo Serato stars as the priest who has commissioned Sutherland's work and does a good job in limited time while Renato Scarpa steals a scene he's in with Sutherland (not an easy task) at a police station. The idea of choosing mostly local actors was certainly a good one, as it makes things seem a lot more realistic, which makes everything all the creepier throughout.

DLN3.jpg

"The horror, the horror...."

As I mentioned earlier, this film is perhaps one of the most flawless in establishing a sense of dread from the very beginning. The opening shots of the daughter playing near the water and Sutherland working on his slides are inter-cut perfectly and by the time the tragedy takes place the viewer is fully invested in the story while also having early questions to ask. Later there's a scene where Sutherland is unraveling a shrouded statue and I became very concerned at what exactly was going to be underneath. It's not often that I find myself worrying what's going to be around the next metaphorical corner in a horror film, in this one I couldn't stop myself from doing so. The ending is unbelievably atmospheric and while there is a serious sense of the bizarre to the first twist, the second and more poignant one just holds that much more merit. I found myself immediately wanting to discuss this film with those who have seen it, simply because I wanted to make sure that my feelings weren't mine alone. At the same time, I was deeply unsettled by the entire thing and was most likely searching for some sort of support group to share my experiences with. Such is the power this film contains and while it may seem like an exaggeration I defer to my 30+ years of film watching experience as proof that I'm not singing false praises.

DLN5.jpg

"You're a woman, I'm a man, we're different and that's that."

Don't Look Now can certainly be a exasperating film at times, much like its main character, who frustrates the viewer by not listening to the warnings given to him throughout. At the same time, the male viewer of the film completely understands his (and the other male characters) analytical and linear way of thinking. We try to solve a riddle rather than simply accepting the warnings of others and staying away. This is contrasted by the female characters, who have more of a seemingly irrational mindset. Of course its eventually proven that they should have been listened to in the first place and not merely passed off as superstitious hags, but let's face it, most of us males wouldn't think to do that. Perhaps that's another reason that I found the film so unsettling, I could quickly identify the mistakes that Sutherland's character made because I knew I'd make them as well. It also makes extensive (and excellent) use of non-linear editing, which is not so much meant to confuse the viewer as it is meant to make us wonder what point in time each scene is occurring. By the end of the entire film, everything does indeed make sense, provided you've been watching closely, and it provides an adequate yet ultimately depressing pay off. Don't Look Now, on the surface at least, may not make a lot of sense from a literal standpoint, but those that understand symbolism will surely grasp the true nature of its meaning.

DLN6.jpg

"No, your God cannot save you from this."

Don't Look Now was released to a largely divided response from critics of the day. While most agreed that it was visually impressive, some were put off by the odd story or the slow pace. Over the last 40 years, it has gradually become widely regarded as a landmark horror film and has inspired many others. I cannot stress how much I meant my earlier statement that its not for everyone, because many will find the same issues with it that those critics did back in 1973. However, for those of you who are open minded and willing to embrace something that runs very much against the grain, it is a compelling and chilling portrait of despair and doom that has not been duplicated since and most likely never will be again. 8.5/10.

Rise.jpg

"Next time...we rise."

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

The Dark Knight Rises

l_1345836_09361feb.jpg

Eight years after the Batman mysteriously vanished after "killing" Harvey Dent, crime in Gotham is at an all time low thanks to an act created in Dent's name. That is until a terrorist named Bane and a cat burglar named Selina Kyle set forth a series of events that threaten to bring the city to its knees. Bruce Wayne, who has been living life as a hermit, is compelled to once again don the cowl of the Batman and fight for the fair people of Gotham, but how far will he have to go to save them?

TDKR1.jpg

The Dark Knight Rises is the final film in Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy and quite the fitting end for it. That statement is not necessarily meant to be complimentary either, as the film does more than enough to hammer home the egotistical delusions of grandeur that its director must experience on a daily basis. At the same time, it certainly caps off a trilogy that was always about that director's careless self-indulgences and stands as a shining example of why editing really is an art form unto itself. To be fair, with the massive amount of over-hype prior to this films release, it would have to have been the greatest motion picture of all time to even come close to living up to that. It doesn't even come close, and more often than not falls flat on its face while attempting to take the story told in the previous film to new heights and new ideals. Ridiculously expensive, erratically stirring and ideologically illogical, The Dark Knight Rises is sure as hell a summer home run, but it sure isn't a grand slam.

TDKR4.jpg

"Mmfhrtdsjghdf Gotham usgtyfdsjhgsdts"

Once again directed by Christopher Nolan and written by he, his brother Jonathan and David Goyer, the film does manage to outdo its predecessor on nearly every level. Unfortunately it mostly outdoes it in a negative light and at the end of the day it becomes a muddled mess, much like the voice of its main villain. Nolan's direction here is slipshod, and while he handles the grandiose action sequences well, there's very little coherency to the plot. There are also several uncharacteristic errors in terms of continuity, the most glaring of which is a scene that shifts from day to night in the blink of an eye. I don't always expect a lot out of comic book films, but Nolan has proven in the past to be a director who was capable of dealing with these challenges. Here it appears he has graduated from the Peter Jackson Academy of I Can't Edit A Film Down To Save My Life, because everything including the kitchen sink is thrown into this chaos. The script does have its moments, including a fully physical and emotional arc for Wayne/Batman, but too often it falls victim to tired plot devices and overly preachy dialogue. Luckily the actors are the real highlight here and most of them are more than capable of delivering that awful dialogue properly, allowing it to be a lot better than it has any right to be.

TDKR3.jpg

"So I only get to wear this suit for 20 minutes? Cool, I'm claustrophobic anyway."

Christian Bale returns for one last kick at the can as the titular hero and he's his usual solid self, particularly in the emotional journey that I mentioned before. Other series regulars Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine (in his best work in the series) turn up for the final paycheck but do their usual excellent work with their respective characters. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is cast as honest cop John Blake, and also does great work with a character written solely for the film. In fact, Levitt's performance is my favourite and he continually proves to be one of those actors who is simply destined to win an Oscar sooner rather than later. His Inception co-star, Marion Cotillard, shows up as a steamy ally of Bruce Wayne's, though its fairly obvious that she's going to make an obligatory heel turn before things are through. Tom Hardy does fine work as Bane from an acting standpoint, but unfortunately his dialogue is just absolutely appalling a great deal of the time. To me he came across as a poor man's Blofeld wearing a mask that Darth Vader didn't want. To his credit, Hardy does his level best to rise above this and turn in a strong showing, particularly when he's besting Batman in physical combat, the only villain in the series to be able to stake that claim. Finally, Anne Hathaway is dynamite as Selina Kyle and really does make the character her own. In fact, she would have had my favourite performance in the entire film if not for her Han Solo moment towards the end, which basically had me cringing in my seat.

TDKR2.jpg

"She's hot and she can act...double bonus."

Now, before all of you that loved the film start jumping down my throat, I'd like to take a moment to examine the positive elements that I found in it. For starters, I really enjoyed the kangaroo court scene with Jonathan Crane serving as judge, since it basically plays like a film version of exactly what would happen if the 99% got their way and were put in charge. This scathing satire was not lost on me and was an excellent element, though it wasn't touched on quite enough for my liking. I also have to give credit to Nolan, and more importantly composer Hans Zimmer, for being able to distract the viewer multiple times during the film, through either expansive set pieces or pulse pounding soundtracks. This distraction serves as a useful tool, since it prevents the audience from sitting back and saying "what the hell just happened there?" or "why is it suddenly night when they went into that tunnel during the day?" Nolan has proven in the past to be quite adept at this form of theatrical trickery (just watch Inception) and here he shows his mastery of it. Above all else, The Dark Knight Rises is a spectacle to be sure, and certainly worthy of a viewing on the big screen even if its got a myriad of issues keeping it from being a truly great film.

TDKR6.jpg

"Step into my parlour little bat..."

Speaking of those issues, yeah, there's a lot of them alright. I've already covered the continuity problems and the dialogue, so let's look at a few other things that really didn't work. One is Bane, and while I didn't have the drastic issues understanding him that some did, I can see where it would become a problem. However, its not so much the actual speaking as it is what he's saying. To me, the film itself was much like Bane, trying to make interesting observations about class in a commanding yet ultimately incoherent voice. I understand that the filmmakers were trying to make this their "Occupy" film, much like the last had been their "War on Terror" film, but to me they failed at showing anything other than how flimsy and pointless the entire Occupy movement was in the first place. Another issue I had was the need to have everything be bigger than the last one. The Joker wants two boats full of people to blow each other up? Fuck that, Bane's got a nuclear device bitches! This one-upmanship seemed unnecessary to me, since the previous two films were already quite over the top as well. I would have preferred a more grounded finale, but then again that's down to a matter of opinion. Regardless, while its entertaining to be sure, The Dark Knight Rises misses the mark on many occasions and the final 25 minutes don't redeem the first two hours as far as I'm concerned.

TDKR5.jpg

"So I actually get paid to be this close to Hathaway? SCORE!!!"

The Dark Knight Rises has already made back its $250 million budget and I'm sure it will continue to do well at the box office despite the tragic events that marred its opening. At the end of the day, I guess that's all that matters, since critical opinion of the film is not going to sway both fanboys or the general populace from going to see it. This review is not meant to chastise the film nor is it my intention to provoke those who loved it, I simply didn't and I felt that it was only fair to voice the concerns I had with it. From my standpoint, this trilogy started out with a bang, continued to burn well in the middle and then fizzled out at the end. That's kind of unfortunate, because I believe The Dark Knight Rises could have been so much more. Perhaps if someone at Warner Brothers had the balls to tell Nolan that he's not the greatest filmmaker ever and that editing is sometimes a good idea, it may very well have been. 6.5/10.

TDKR7.jpg

"Next up...what the hell is this?"

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

IT'S A FUCKING MOVIE!!!!!

this trilogy started out with a bang, continued to burn well in the middle and then fizzled out at the end.

I have to agree with this. To me, the movie is a giant letdown compared to the first two. Although I didn't hate it, I found myself very disappointed while leaving the theater. I enjoyed Anne Hathaway and even Bane to an extent. JGL stole it though as we all know he can do with a movie. I would have to disagree with your score though, I wouldn't rate it higher than a 6. I do know you have your own scoring system and that's cool, but in mine, it isn't over a six and it barely gets that.

Eddie North

Reaction score

I agree with the review entirely. I didn't hate it, but thought it was definitely the worst film in the trilogy and it really shouldn't have been. It could of been so much better.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles

IT'S A FUCKING MOVIE!!!!!

This needs to become the board's fad.

As far as the review goes, I mostly agree with it. But I'd rate it 7.5, or 8.0

Postman Dave

Reaction score

good review, all fair points. I'll go against the grain and stand by The Dark Knight being better than Begins though.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles

good review, all fair points. I'll go against the grain and stand by The Dark Knight being better than Begins though.

I totally agree with this.

Eddie North

Reaction score

well Dark Knight was best of all... or were you talking about Dark Knight Rises lol