The Wing Kong Exchange (feat. Inferno)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Re: The Wing Kong Exchange

The names of the characters is the best part of the movie.

I was reading that one is named The Complication and another is Nookie. That's too funny.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

The whole rip off of the Jersey Shore cast is awesome.

I had to defend myself last night when the girlfriend came home and I was watching it. She was making fun of me.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

The whole rip off of the Jersey Shore cast is awesome.

I had to defend myself last night when the girlfriend came home and I was watching it. She was making fun of me.
Well you know, women are stupid.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

She hates all of the shark movies that I love. lol

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

She hates all of the shark movies that I love. lol

I tell you, chicks just don't get it.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

She asked me, "why do you watch them? They're horrible and badly acted."

I told her that is why I watch them. I'm not expecting to see the greatest movie ever made. I know it is going to be terribly acted with terrible effects. That is what makes them great, because the actors are trying so hard and still suck.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

She asked me, "why do you watch them? They're horrible and badly acted."

I told her that is why I watch them. I'm not expecting to see the greatest movie ever made. I know it is going to be terribly acted with terrible effects. That is what makes them great, because the actors are trying so hard and still suck.

The fact that the films are so bad when its clear people were trying is the best part for sure, and why I'll always give these sorts of things a chance.

So I just watched it and I have to say its one of my favourite ScyFy horror films. It's total crap on every level yet for some reason I couldn't turn away. The cast was great, Tony Sirico basically played Paulie Walnuts running a bar, Paul Sorvino as the mayor and William Atherton as a douchebag were all perfect. The rest of the actors were unbelievably bad, and I honestly can't pick out the worst performance. I think its probably a tie between the second preppie guy (not Atherton's step-son) and the chick who was supposed to be J-Wow.

I loved the effect when the sharks were underwater and they gave the lens a fish-eye look, mainly because it was so corny I couldn't stop laughing. My only real complaint about the whole thing...no tits. I realize its made for tv, but still, they should release an unrated-DVD version with some skin.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Psycho

l_54215_89ef9bcb.jpg

Marion Crane simply wants a better life than the one she currently has. She wishes to marry her boyfriend Sam, but he is unable to as he is nearly broke due to alimony payments. By chance, her boss entrusts her to deposit $40,000 in cash at a local bank, and Marion sees this as the opportunity she's been waiting for. She steals the money and heads off to meet Sam but gets caught in a storm and stops at the Bates Motel. There she meets the manager, Norman Bates, a shy and quiet young man who seems to be living under the dominion of his mother.

Psycho1.jpg

There isn't much to say about Psycho that hasn't already been said. It is widely regarded as the original slasher film, one that took the horror genre to knew heights and also one of the great Alfred Hitchcock's finest efforts. Based on the 1959 novel of the same name by Robert Bloch and loosely based on the true story of Ed Gein, Hitchcock optioned the film rights for $9,500 and even went as far as instructing his associates to buy up as many copies of it as possible so less people would learn of the surprise ending. That's what I call a serious, almost fanatical devotion to one's craft, yet the end result would be something the likes of which had never been seen before in Hollywood. While the film was initially met with mixed responses, it performed admirably at the box office and was quickly re-examined by some of the top critics of the day, soon leading to it being declared a modern masterpiece. Though the film contains elements of both the grotesque and the perverse, it also manages to tell a sad and haunting story, one that resonates with many viewers to this day.

Psycho2.jpg

"Not the first thing you want to see when you wake up."

As was normally the case with Hitchcock, he captivates his audience immediately. From the very beginning of the film he gives us the impression that we are nothing more than voyeurs, slowly sneaking up to a window and encountering Crane and her lover, Sam. Hitchcock also uses lighting and shadow to maximum effect here, particularly in some of the earlier scenes where he chooses to juxtapose a metaphorical dark cloud over Marion while shooting her in brilliant sunlight. Along with that, he realizes that pacing is key here, and deliberately slows the film down at every given moment in order to emphasize exactly what's going on. Joseph Stefano's screenplay is well crafted and features some of the best dialogue I've ever heard. The scene between Norman and Marion in the office is so full of awkward tension that it truly unsettles the viewer without having to resort to shock tactics. While the story itself is obviously quite bizarre when all is said and done, its Stefano's talented writing that keeps it all grounded in reality, which makes everything all the more disturbing. Of course its important to remember that the written word is only there for the performers to speak, and in the case of Psycho, there is a slew of talented actors and actresses more than up to the task.

Psycho3.jpg

"Watch out...female driver on the loose!"

Janet Leigh's work as Marion Crane is superb, portraying a character that is not inherently a criminal but becomes one through both circumstance and opportunity. Her guilt is certainly easy to see, etched all over her face in a fantastic scene with a police officer (played well by Mort Mills) who confronts her on the road. Hitchcock also manages to create a lot of tension in what would otherwise be a normal conversation and really amps it up as she drives away with the police officer following her. There's also some excellent acting courtesy of Martin Balsam as a suspicious detective hired by Crane's sister to find out what happened to her. John Anderson's performance as California Charlie, a used car salesman who Crane purchases a vehicle from is also outstanding and really helps to craft an excellent scene that sometimes goes unnoticed. There is a lot of tension in the dialogue the two have as well as some great moments, particularly in the way he shouts "HEY" just before she drives away. John Gavin and Vera Miles have serviceable roles as Crane's lover and sister respectively, while John McIntire has a scene-stealing moment as Sheriff Al Chambers. In fact, the scene in question between he, his wife, Sam and Lila, remains one of my favourite in the film due to its excellent exposition and portrayal of people talking to each other with crossed purposes.

Psycho4.jpg

"I stuff and I stuff and they STILL KEEP SINGING!!!"

However, as good as they are, everyone in the film pales in comparison to the performance of Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates. He skilfully creates a truly unique portrait of a man who has gone completely insane, avoiding the typical raving lunatic character and instead focusing on its subtleties. He doesn't feel the need to go completely over the top either, preferring to be a somewhat tranquil yet undeniably creepy character, which gives the audience a great sense of uneasiness whenever he appears. His methodical attention to detail both in his hobby of taxidermy and in disposing of Crane's body adds an obsessive/compulsive disorder to this already clearly insane character, making him that much more frightening. His performance is so precise that it chills the viewer to their bones without the film itself having to resort to overly violent images or bloodletting to do so. While Perkins will be remembered for more than just the role of Bates, it is the one he has become most closely associated with and for good reason, it is simply his best acting work by far. The fact that he was not even nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor for this performance remains one of the greatest snubs ever given by that organization.

Psycho5.jpg

"You've got a little chocolate on your face dude."

There is a lot to distance Psycho from its contemporaries and much of that is why it has managed to survive for more than 50 years and still have the same impact. Even from the very beginning, its important to note that Crane is wearing only a bra here, something quite risque for the time the film was made. Killing off a major character at the end of the first act was not only shocking but also unheard of at the time. Leigh was a well known star of the day, and I can believe it must have blown away the audience when she met her demise in one of the most infamous scenes of all time. Speaking of that scene, it still stands as one of the landmark achievements in cinematic history. Featuring 77 different camera angles used over 50 cuts, it took 6 days to film and runs for only 3 minutes. That attention to detail alone is astounding, but the simple fact remains that it is quite possibly the most chillingly effective scene in any horror film ever. It is also made that much scarier by the music that accompanies it, scored by the great Bernard Herrmann. In fact, his music throughout the film just makes everything seem that much creepier, and gives the sense that something evil is lurking around every corner. That is Psycho's greatest strength, the subtle way it permeates the consciousness of its viewer and convinces them that they are witnessing something truly horrific.

Psycho6.jpg

"We all go a little mad sometimes."

Psycho was shot on an estimated budget of $800,000 and grossed over $50 million at the box office during its theatrical run. It also ushered in a new level of both acceptable violence and sexuality in film and did so in an era that was rife with censorship. It is often listed among the greatest films of all time and has been preserved in the National Film Registry. Along with those accolades, it spawned a pair of sequels, a prequel, a remake and even a television pilot, all of which we'll be looking at as we go Psycho for the rest of the week. However, we're still looking at this one, the original and still easily the best of the lot. They don't make films like this one very often and if you've never seen it you really haven't seen the best that the horror genre has to offer. Most know Hitchcock by name alone, but if you really want to understand the genius of the man, look no further than Psycho, certainly one of his greatest overall efforts and simply one of the best films you will ever see. 10/10.

Psycho7.jpg

"The end...but only until tomorrow...and hey, don't forget the 40 G's in the trunk!"

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Psycho II

l_87277_0086154_d8ef19ae.jpg

It's been 22 years since Norman Bates was captured and confined to an asylum. After being given a clean bill of health, he is released back into the public, much to the chagrin of Marion Crane's sister, Lila, who believes he's still insane. Norman soon returns to the Bates Motel and takes a job in town where he meets a beautiful girl who takes a shine to him. Unfortunately for Norman, his "mother" doesn't like her very much at all, or the other people who are hanging around the motel, and soon the bodies begin piling up...

P21-1.jpg

It had been more than 20 years since Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho first scared the wits out of theatre audiences around the world. In that time, the film had become well known as a horror masterpiece and the author of the original novel, Robert Bloch, had even written a sequel, published in 1982. Executives at Universal Studios also felt that the time was ripe to go back to the Psycho well and thus this sequel was born, though it had nothing to do with the novel Bloch wrote at all. Seeing that piece as a rather arrogant send up of slasher films, the producers wished to stray as far from it as possible. They instead turned to a young but talented writer and a director who was a student of Hitchcock himself to craft the film that they felt would live up to the legacy established by the original. While its obviously not as good as that one, Psycho II is an excellent sequel that chooses to become unique unto itself rather than attempting to carbon copy its predecessor. That tends to work in its favour more often than not, and while no one should expect a masterpiece this time around, fans of the original should be more than satisfied with what Psycho II brings to the table.

P25-1.jpg

"She's dead...but she's hot."

Psycho II was directed by Richard Franklin and written by Tom Holland. Aside from being a Hitchcock pupil, Franklin was a talented director in his own right, having previously helmed the cult-classics "Patrick" and "Roadgames". Instead of choosing to shoot the film as Hitchcock would have, he opted instead to put his own personal stamp on it. While there are obvious references to the original (such as in a scene where a character is murdered near the top of the stairs), they all have a different feel to them, which allows the audience to watch this as more of an original piece rather than simply a sequel. Franklin also used a lot of interesting shots, particularly in the high angle department, which gives the viewer the same sense of voyeurism from the first film yet in a totally different perspective. Holland's screenplay is excellent from beginning to end, not only creating some juicy dialogue but also some memorable moments, which further helps to distance this film from the original. It appears that the entire creative team was hell bent on making sure that this would not be seen as just a cheap Psycho rip off, and to their credit it certainly doesn't come across that way.

P22-1.jpg

"The smile of a perfectly sane man."

This was largely seen as Anthony Perkins "comeback film" though to be fair he had been keeping busy throughout the years since the original was released, starring in the classic "Catch-22" and Disney's "The Black Hole". Even so, the return to the role that made him famous was something of a big deal at the time, and rightfully so, as Perkins once again proves why he was such a dynamic performer. Here he plays a completely different Norman than he did in the original, one that is desperately trying to maintain the shreds of sanity that he feels he has. While he still has the odd personality quirk, this Norman is even more sympathetic than he was in the original film, and one actually begins to feel bad for him once he inevitably starts losing his mind again. Adding support is the incredibly attractive Meg Tilly (she's Canadian, of course she's hot), who plays Norman's "love interest", though her motivates certainly don't carry the best of intentions. Tilly does a good job playing a slightly fractured woman and works well with Perkins even though they apparently didn't get along at all on the set. Vera Miles reprises her role as Lila Crane and actually ends up being more of a villain than Norman, which is a fun little twist on the original story. Dennis Franz (who would later bare his ass multiple times on NYPD Blue) pops up as the manager of the Bates Motel while Robert Loggia (Fuji Favourite) plays Norman's psychiatrist. Though Perkins once again steals the show, the rest of the cast are all great in their roles and really work well as an ensemble.

P24-1.jpg

"Norman gets sad and gets some boob action...if only it was that easy."

Even more than the original film, Psycho II is one that allows us a full glimpse into the mind of Norman Bates. While we knew he was more than a little odd after the first one, here we see just how tortured and troubled his mind really is. As I mentioned above, its easy to not only feel sympathy for him, but also to support him and hope that he can remain sane and free of his mother. The best part about this is that even while we are doing so, we can't help but anticipate that he may return to his evil ways and become the Norman that we all know so well, the old friend that comes back to town after a lengthy absence. Along with this unique character study, we have the role reversal of the Lila Crane character, and the story about her desperately trying to do whatever it takes to prove Norman is still crazy, even going to lengths that most would never dream of. Her plot is diabolical to say the least, and I felt it was not only well done but also very refreshing. I also found it incredible that a villainous character such as Norman could so easily become likeable in such a short amount of time, and it really made me think about all those serial killers that come across as "such nice people" before they snap and murder people before feeding them to pigs. Norman does represent that "killer next door" character very well, which is most likely the reason why he has become such an entrenched part of film history.

P23-1.jpg

"NYPD Dead"

Unlike the original, Psycho II goes for the jugular in more ways than one. As it was released in the 1980's and also during the height of the slasher era, it is much more violent than the original, which isn't always a good thing. I don't mind the extra gore, as it is expected from a horror film released in 1983, but I also felt that it distracted from the more creepy elements on display. For instance, I really didn't see the need to off a random teenager who had snuck into the basement of the Bates home, but I guess it was just one of those "we need more blood because otherwise they'll go see a Jason film instead" things. Another thing I really felt was unnecessary was the inclusion of the shower scene from the original film at the beginning. While I understand that its important to establish continuity, I really didn't need to see it again. I do realize that many probably hadn't seen the original when they went to see this one, so I guess it makes sense. I just felt that it didn't really need to be there and added no substance whatsoever. However, those are simply minor complaints and they do not ruin what is an otherwise strong film that more than lives up to the original. Though he was well known as a hard man to please, I'm sure if Alfred Hitchcock had lived to see this film he would have been pleased, though still quick to point out that it wasn't as good as his own.

P26-1.jpg

"This is why you leave sword swallowing to the professionals."

Psycho II was shot on a budget of $5 million and grossed over $34 million at the box office, becoming a surprise summer hit. It actually had the ninth highest opening weekend for any film released in 1983, beating out big hits like Trading Places, WarGames and Scarface. That was obviously enough for the executives to greenlight another film, one that Perkins himself would return to star in and direct. Psycho II did a lot to establish a further continuity for the series and works very well even though it cannot live up to the original. Thankfully nobody tried to do that and instead crafted the film we got, a smart and sometimes comical thriller that defies standard horror conventions and becomes something totally different. If you don't try and compare it to Hitchcock's film, you'll be pleasantly surprised with what you get. 7.5/10.

P27.jpg

"Guess she won't be joining us tomorrow...or will she?"

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

It is so weird that you're doing the Psycho movies. I have recently watched the first 3. I can't seem to find the fourth. Spot on with the reviews.

I will be hated for this, and that is fine. But I didn't mind the remake as much as a lot of people. It wasn't great or even good, but for some reason I enjoyed it.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

It is so weird that you're doing the Psycho movies. I have recently watched the first 3. I can't seem to find the fourth. Spot on with the reviews.

I will be hated for this, and that is fine. But I didn't mind the remake as much as a lot of people. It wasn't great or even good, but for some reason I enjoyed it.
Thanks Troy, glad you just watched them so they're fresh in your mind. I'll be uploading IV when I review it, so you can grab it then, I liked it as well.

The thing I don't like about the remake is the horrible acting from everyone involved. I just couldn't take Vince Vaughn seriously as Norman Bates and the iconic "boy's best friend is his mother" scene is just so awful compared to the work done by Perkins and Leigh in the original.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

The acting was pretty bad and the fact that it was a movie that should not have been remade. At the same time though, what it did was refresh how great the original was. The one thing that I really liked about the remake though was they shot it almost scene for scene minus a couple. For what it was, I didn't mind it all that much. I won't take it over the original, but if it is on I will watch it and not get disgusted.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

The acting was pretty bad and the fact that it was a movie that should not have been remade. At the same time though, what it did was refresh how great the original was. The one thing that I really liked about the remake though was they shot it almost scene for scene minus a couple. For what it was, I didn't mind it all that much. I won't take it over the original, but if it is on I will watch it and not get disgusted.

See, I think the shot for shot aspect bothered me as well. What's the use in remaking a movie if you're going to do it the exact same way? Gus Van Sant is a talented director for sure, so I would have rather seen his take on the film than a near carbon copy with shitty actors.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Psycho III

l_91799_485a54e8.jpg

Norman Bates, under the watchful eye of "mother", continues to run the Bates Motel, but isn't having a lot of success. He soon hires a new manager, a drifter and wannabe musician named Duane. He also gets a new guest at the motel, a troubled ex-nun named Maureen, who bears a striking resemblance to Marion Crane. Norman finds himself slowly falling for this tortured soul, but "mother" isn't about to have any of it, and soon she'll make her presence felt again.

P31.jpg

After Psycho II proved to be a surprise hit, plans for another sequel went into motion almost immediately. Although there were some delays on the project, including numerous rewrites, the film finally came to fruition in 1986. To convince the star of the first two, Anthony Perkins, to come back, the executives at Universal promised him both a top notch script to work with as well as the chance to direct. Though he had never directed a film before, Perkins was eager to take on the additional responsibility and approached the project with great zeal. Working from a screenplay by one of the more underrated writers of the 1980's and infusing it with a great deal of black humour, Perkins managed to make an interesting if somewhat flawed film. Much like the characters on display within its confines, it is fractured and damaged, but at the same time that's part of its charm. Once again, comparing this film to the original or even its sequel is a moot point; nobody should expect it to match the calibre of those. However, as is the case with Psycho II, if you go into it with an open mind and lowered expectations, what you will find is a deliciously dark comedy with razor sharp teeth and a penchant for over the top violence. If you're a horror fan, that should be more than enough.

P32.jpg

"He has to be feeling better, he's talking to birds instead of just stuffing them."

Anthony Perkins directed from a script by Charles Edward Pogue, who was a very busy man in 1986. Along with writing this film, he also managed to bang out the script for David Cronenberg's remake of The Fly (previously reviewed in FujiFilm), and there is a great deal of similarity between the two. Both feature bizarre yet realistic love stories between two characters who are atypical of the normal Hollywood ones and both can be considered tragedies, to a certain extent. In fact, one reviewer was quick to point out that Psycho III and The Fly were the two great love stories of the summer that year, though they forgot to mention Pogue was the man who connected the two. His work on the screenplay for Psycho III is superb and his use of not so subtle religious imagery and black comedy is refreshing to see in a time when most horror films were straight forward hack and slash fare. Pogue's writing is so good that it would be virtually impossible for Perkins to have messed up in the directing department, and to his credit, he does not for the most part. Sure there's the usual amateur mistakes made by a first time director (most notably improper lighting techniques leading to some scenes being too dark) but they are relatively easy to overlook. Perkins also proved to be an "actor's director", eliciting strong performances from a cast of relative (outside of himself of course) unknowns.

P35.jpg

"Rock douche."

Perkins is once again at the top of his game playing Bates, and here we get an even deeper look into his more emotional side, particularly when he starts up his relationship with the fallen nun. There's just something completely real about Perkins portrayal of the character that he becomes almost comforting to watch, and through his performance we can see and feel everything he does, from remorse to guilt to anguish to hatred and everything else in between. Norman's love interest is played by Diana Scarwid and though she was not a well known actress she certainly does an admirable job with the role. Initially I felt she was cast simply for her resemblance to the Marion Crane character and it wasn't until partway through the film that I realized her true talents. She has a way of seeming both vulnerable and guarded at the same time, while also providing an excellent foil for Perkins to work with. Their chemistry is awkward yet undeniable, much like Leigh and Perkins was in the original, and its their scenes together that anchor the film. Jeff Fahey lends support as the sleazy Duane and gets to shine in the role, easily becoming a total jerk of a character that you just can't wait to see get killed. Roberta Maxwell also has a small but crucial role as a reporter trying to get to the bottom of the entire Bates story, and she shares a great scene with Perkins in the diner near the beginning.

P33.jpg

"Those are what you'd call great-granny panties."

As I've mentioned a couple of times already, there is a lot of black humour in this film and almost all of it works very well. I found myself laughing out loud at several moments, particularly in the scene where Maureen attempts to commit suicide. It's not the most pleasant subject matter, but there's something undeniably funny about the whole thing and the way it plays out. The subsequent conversation between Maureen and the priest just adds to the humour, as she feels Norman (who had originally been trying to kill her) was actually her saviour. This leads us into the next portion of the film, the developing romance between Maureen and Norman, because after all, if a guy saves a woman's life he's pretty much guaranteed a shot at getting laid. That's got to be about the easiest way to score...well that and saving a kid's life, but really, what are the odds that you're going to have the chance to do that? All kidding aside, the romance angle works as well as it should, mostly due to the work of Perkins and Scarwid, and though we realize its obviously not meant to be we still hold out the faint hope that Norman will somehow find true love and finally break free of "mother" once and for all. Perkins really was the best guy to give the directorial reins to here, as he knows the character intimately and really creates the perfect scenarios for him to be in.

P34.jpg

"This is NOT your guardian angel."

However, its not all rosy, as there are a few things I had trouble getting past in this film, much like the previous one. First of all, I felt there were too many times where it seemed to be too similar to Psycho II rather than attempting to break new ground. There are certainly enough moments to make it an original effort, but it still felt like more of the same from time to time. I was also a little put off by the ending of the film and would have preferred the original one as opposed to what we ended up with. Norman finally being free would have been a great pay off, but instead we were forced to endure a typical Hollywood cliche in the final moments. Finally, I didn't really like the way one character dies on the good old staircase, as I felt that the particular gag had run its course after the second film. Obviously this one attempted to be a little more original than the one before it (though that one was pretty cool too) but it seemed out of place to me. Outside of those issues, I didn't really find anything else that annoyed me about the film and certainly thought there was a lot more good than bad to go around. Plus, as I've mentioned before, its just so damn funny at times that its impossible to judge harshly. Psycho III didn't really break any new ground in the series, but its certainly a serviceable sequel that remembers the roots that it came from.

P36.jpg

"Norman's gonna' get some!"

Psycho III was shot on an estimated budget of $8 million and earned just over $14 million at the box office, not exactly stellar numbers when compared to the previous film. It did manage to receive a good deal of critical praise, particularly for Pogue's screenplay and Perkins direction, but it wasn't enough to convince the executives to rush into making another one. In fact, this could be considered the end of the Psycho story (or would have been if they'd stuck with the damn original ending) as it nicely bookends Hitchcock's original film. While it won't be remembered as anything more than just another Psycho film, I feel the humour and the odd yet touching love story is more than enough to recommend it. Psycho III proves that you can be funny while still doing your best to scare the pants off of your audience, and even though its not the best horror film out there its certainly better than a lot of its contemporaries. 6/10.

P37.jpg

"Touching...and tomorrow we go back to where it all began."

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

This was the first Psycho movie I had ever watched. I hadn't seen the first two until after this one. I watched this one for the first time in like '88 or '89. I remembered it being much scarier the first time I watched it, although I was only 13 or 14 at the time. When I watched it again years later I found more of the comedy in it after seeing the first two (finally). This is one of those movies that wasn't great, nor was it by any means bad. I think it lacked a lot of direction at some points, and you already pointed that out so I don't know why I am bringing it up.

Jeff Fahey ruled in this one. It is by far my favorite performance of his. I loved the fact that they brought you in to like him before turning him into a giant tool. And holy crap, the resemblance between Diana Scarwid and Janet Leigh was uncanny. It was quite awesome that they found someone who resembled the Marion Crane character though.