The Wing Kong Exchange (feat. Inferno)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Re: The Wing Kong Exchange

Berenger hands down.

What is my reasoning you may ask. Well it is simple. I don't think there is anyone that could have pulled off that role as well as he did. It is easy to write a good guy role and have anyone play the role believable. But Berenger as Sgt. Barnes, incredible. It was easy to buy into him being a bad ass and just an almost evil person. I think had I had someone like him as a drill instructor, I would have shit my pants. Or even being around someone like him. As much as Dafoe rocked as Elias, I think almost anyone could have played that role and been believable.

Not sure if anyone could have played it but yeah, I could imagine a lot of other actors at least doing a decent job with Elias where I just can't see anyone else doing Barnes. Mrs. Fuji once said Christopher Walken would have made a good Barnes and I said that he would have played it way too over the top. I could actually see Walken as Elias, though I'm really glad Dafoe played the character.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

Walken would have done terrible in both roles. He just doesn't have the delivery that is needed for either of those roles. And OK, maybe not anyone could have played Elias, but like you said, more people could have played that role than could have played Barnes.

Castiel

Reaction score

Excellent reviews on both Point Break and Platoon man! Mr. Cocaine Busey & John C. McGinley together in the same movie? Too awesome.

10/10 for Platoon? How have I not seen this movie? I expected to come out of the review thinking how badass Platoon sounds but instead you made me realize it's actually a deep movie! I'm very interested now. Charlie Sheen was the shit back then. It's funny that I come in here to read that review only a little while after seeing a commercial for some thing that talked about Platoon.... possibly one of your best reviews man, I really enjoyed reading that.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Excellent reviews on both Point Break and Platoon man! Mr. Cocaine Busey & John C. McGinley together in the same movie? Too awesome.

10/10 for Platoon? How have I not seen this movie? I expected to come out of the review thinking how badass Platoon sounds but instead you made me realize it's actually a deep movie! I'm very interested now. Charlie Sheen was the shit back then. It's funny that I come in here to read that review only a little while after seeing a commercial for some thing that talked about Platoon.... possibly one of your best reviews man, I really enjoyed reading that.

Thanks Cas, glad you enjoyed them. Definitely watch Platoon, its so worth it. I saw that same commercial for the first time today and laughed when I realized I did a Platoon review earlier. :lol:

Castiel

Reaction score

The funny part is I have no clue what the commercial was for! :lol:
I'm pretty sure a friend of mine owns Platoon so I'm going to ask him for a lend when I see him tomorrow and hopefully I'll be watching it over the weekend!

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

The funny part is I have no clue what the commercial was for! :lol:
I'm pretty sure a friend of mine owns Platoon so I'm going to ask him for a lend when I see him tomorrow and hopefully I'll be watching it over the weekend!
I think it was for some sort of cable company, but I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look the ad up right now. Either way, they kind of made a mockery of the movie and that's not what it's all about. If you watch it, don't forget to let us know what you think.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Hellraiser

l_93177_2e6ff8dd.jpg

Larry and Julia move into a new home in order to give their marriage a fresh start. While bringing in a mattress, Larry cuts his hand and spills blood on the floor. Shortly after this, a hideous creature reveals itself and it turns out to be Larry's brother, Frank. He enlists Julia's help, as they were formerly lovers, in order to bring him victims which he uses to completely remake his body. But Frank has angered some very powerful beings known as Cenobites, who plan to drag him back to the hell from which he came.

Hell1.jpg

Hellraiser, released in 1987, is British author Clive Barker's directorial debut and clear evidence that the man is disturbed. Thankfully its one of those good types of insanity, which leads to the film itself being all kinds of gruesome fun. If Barker wanted to trumpet his arrival into the horror film community as loudly as possible, I'd say he certainly succeeded with Hellraiser. While it still retains a very basic story, Barker infuses it with such grotesque charm that it manages to stand out among its contemporaries. Indeed, in 1987 there wasn't a lot of originality left in the horror genre, so its impressive to see just how unique Hellraise becomes. Though its not for the faint hearted or the squeamish (and even hardcore fans may be grossed out by some of it), the film is nevertheless an important entry into the horror genre. It also happens to be one that will stick with you long after you've seen it, simply for how bizarre and disturbing it manages to be.

Hell6.jpg

"Don't start this shit again!"

Written and directed by Clive Barker and based on his original novella, "The Hellbound Heart", it was clear that he was trying to show people exactly what he was all about. He definitely accomplishes that, as anyone who's read his books will know exactly what kind of a lunatic mind he has. Here his particular imprint is all over this film, from the opening scenes all the way through to the finish. I've got to hand it to Barker, this is an exceptionally well made piece for a debut. His pacing is superb and he really drives the film forward, never allowing it to dwindle on anything for too long. However even with Barker's well honed directorial skills, the true effectiveness of this film is in the writing. I mentioned earlier that its a very simple story, yet Barker does enough to make it rise above its normalcy and become something that really does resemble a nightmare at times. Obviously working from his original novella served him well, but Barker really does do an impressive job of capturing the mood of each of his characters and it shows in their dialogue. It also helps that he's got a pretty impressive cast to work with considering the budgetary limitations imposed on this film.

Hell3.jpg

"This is what happens when you give me BLUE BALLS!!!"

Andrew Robinson is cast as Larry and shows his diverse range as an actor, creating a multi-faceted character. Larry is at first sympathetic, then annoying, then evil, and Robinson plays each part very well. I shouldn't be surprised with Robinson's performance though, he was also excellent in Dirty Harry and in a long, recurring role on Star Trek: DS9 as well. Clare Higgins plays his wife and does a great job as the icy cold bitch. Well that's before she does an even better job as the stone cold, love struck killer who fancies a hammer as her weapon of choice. Higgins has some really evil facial expressions when she's clobbering her victims and that makes her character all the more frightening. Ashley Laurence, cast as Larry's daughter, is hot and not a bad little actress, which is a great combination. I can certainly see her as a strong heroine and she does make a good showing of herself in some tense scenes throughout the film. Finally, in his first appearance as the character that he would become synonymous with, Doug Bradley is pretty damn awesome as Pinhead. Bradley really creates a very memorable villain through his subtle performance and dialogue delivery. Lines like "we'll tear your soul apart" could easily have come across corny but not when uttered by an actor with a voice like Bradley's. He makes Pinhead a highlight of the film and its easy to see why he became such a popular character down the line.

Hell2.jpg

"Despite what I might say, this really does hurt like a son of a bitch."

One thing about Hellraiser that makes it work as well as it does are the excellent special effects. Puppets once again prove to be way better than CGI here, and the initial "birth" sequence of Frank in the attic is quite well done. Call me crazy, but I also find something hauntingly beautiful about the Frank-monster and could easily see myself rooting for him if he'd been a sympathetic character. Frank is ultimately the villain, even more so than the Cenobites, as they are simply trying to bring him back to the world he escaped from. Speaking of them, the Cenobites are all pretty creepy, particularly the one I like to call Chatterbox (for obvious reasons), which always scared the crap out of me as a child. Hell, it still managed to make my skin crawl when I watched the film for this review, so its nice to know that the film has some sort of staying power. There's some pretty nasty imagery here too, like pieces of human flesh strewn about the floor and rats nailed to the wall. Barker's definitely one sick puppy! However even with all that nastiness, Barker manages to top himself with the finale, which features on of the all time most disgusting scenes in the history of film. It also includes this classic moment....

[video=youtube;MoA63WunEJ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoA63WunEJ0[/video]​

Yeah, it doesn't matter who you are, that's got to hurt! One thing I had an issue with in the film was the way that all the male victims are just completely moronic. What would possibly make nerds like that think an attractive woman would just invite them back to her place? As a rule my fellow men, its important to try not to think with your penis all the time, as doing so could lead to you being brained with a hammer and eaten by a monster. I guess it had to be that way though, at the end of the day Hellraiser is an 80's horror film and in 80's horror films, sex is always punishable by death. These poor idiots don't even get to have the sex first though, which really sucks for them! Outside of that minor complaint, I really didn't have anything else to gripe about here. The performances are all strong, the story is great, the effects kick ass and there's just something really "different" about this film that makes it a must see. Perhaps Barker hasn't quite panned out as the visionary director that this film seemed to indicate he would become, but at least he'll always have this film to look back fondly on. So as I said before, it may not be for the squeamish, but if you can handle nastiness in all its forms you will probably find Hellraiser to be an above average 80's horror film.

Hell5.jpg

"I'll be with you in a moment, I'm tied up with my hands in this dude's neck right now."

Hellraiser was shot on a budget of $1 million and ended up earning over $14 million during its theatrical run. Aside from that, it quickly became a cult favourite and a "must rent" VHS for young boys sleepover parties. or at least it did in my town. I probably saw this film more than 20 times when I was growing up and I can safely say that it didn't affect me at all. Well outside of the odd time that I invite men back to my house, hit them with hammers and feed them to my monster in the attic, but hey, who doesn't do that right? All kidding aside, Hellraiser was actually a little better than I remembered it being and I would definitely recommend it to all horror fans that have yet to see it. Next time around we'll be looking at its sequel, Hellbound, a film that I have, at times, considered superior to this one. We'll see if I still feel that way but today its time to give Hellraiser a solid 7.5/10 and a final warning to STAY AWAY FROM THAT DAMN BOX!!!

Hell4.jpg

"The original title for this film was Face Off.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

I loved Hellraiser as a kid. When I was watching it a few weeks ago I realized how bad it really was. Maybe it was just a lot of not living up to what I had remembered it. Not to say I don't like it or even love it, but it is oen of those movies that didn't stand the test of time for me.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Teen Wolf

l_90142_dc84336f.jpg

Scott Howard just wants to stand out among the crowd in his small town and at his high school. He soon gets his wish, though not quite the way he wanted to, when he discovers that he is a werewolf. Initially he's hesitant to tell anyone, but when he discovers that he can use the powers of the wolf to be a better athlete, and to become popular, he's only too eager to transform. Soon he's the most popular kid in school, but will it cost him his friends and his soul?

TW1-1.jpg

1985's Teen Wolf is pretty fluffy fare, typical of the time in which it was released. It's nothing special, the story is fairly mundane and the logic goes right out the window most of the time. While it tries to come across as a more socially conscious film that examines the trials and tribulations of growing up and the social acceptance that comes along with that, more often than not it descends into simple comedy. In fact, it doesn't even really understand the type of film it wants to be and goes all over the place, bordering on the absurd at times. Hell, even the supposed teenagers are all played by people who are well into their adulthood, while the adult figures are all over the top caricatures. Why then is it such a fantastic movie that one can watch over and over again? Some may point to Michael J. Fox's performance in the lead role, as he is certainly charismatic, while others may simply look it as a nostalgic snapshot of a simpler time. Regardless of why it works, the fact remains that it does. For all the faults it has, Teen Wolf is one hell of an entertaining film that somehow sticks with you long after you've seen it.

TW3-1.jpg

"And you thought a couple of zits were a big problem!"

The film is directed by Rod Daniel (who is also known for doing other light-hearted pieces such as K-9 and Beethoven's 2nd) and written by Jeph Loeb (who also wrote Commando as well as several popular Batman comics like The Long Halloween) and Matthew Weisman (Loeb's frequent writing partner), the film isn't a horror, comedy or drama. Rather its sort of a bizarre amalgam of those genres that, for the most part, falls flat on its face. Daniel's direction is all over the place and its clear he's more comfortable in the television field (where he got his start) than in features. Meanwhile Loeb and Weisman's script is seriously flawed and lacks logic at nearly every turn. For instance, why is it that students from the same school play on different high school basketball teams? For that matter, why is everyone so cool with a freaking werewolf hanging around with them? I mean, if it was me, I'd probably be running the other way, but then again I'm a thinker. Suffice to say, the film has its fair share of issues, and we haven't even gotten to the acting yet.

TW4-1.jpg

"He may be a little weird, but his name is Stiles, so its cool."

Michael J. Fox is actually quite good in the lead role, and really does do a lot with the character considering its limitations. I mean you can only deliver dialogue like "it didn't pass me by, it landed on my face" with a certain level of dramatic flair, yet Fox manages it well. Thankfully he's featured in the film a lot, because most of the rest of the cast stinks. While I love the character of his friend Stiles, the actor, Jerry Levine, is horrendous. Luckily he married the president of CBS Entertainment so he didn't have to rely on his acting skills to get by! James Hampton (who generally pops up in pretty bad movies I end up loving, like Condorman and Hangar 18) plays Fox's father decently, but he's got all the charisma of your standard head of lettuce. It's not Hampton's fault most of the time though, again his dialogue is just brutal. The females pop in for some eye candy, which is good because they're also horrible actresses. Let's put it this way, one is named Boof (for real) and the other one can't even act as an actress (in an unbelievably awful scene where she's rehearsing for the school play). Luckily this film does have one other character going for it, that being the awesome movie douchebag, Mick McAllister. The actor who plays him, Mark Arnold, isn't amazing or anything, but the character is among the best 80's scumbags and Arnold gives him a certain flair. So hey, a few great characters and a couple of chicks? Sounds good to me, and more importantly, it allows us to forget how insane their dialogue is!

[video=youtube;xjhh5xqAc0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhh5xqAc0I&feature=related[/video]​

Hit play up there and be prepared to be blown away. If there is one thing, just one, that Teen Wolf has in the plus column, its that absolutely rocking 80's song by Mark Safan. I could honestly listen to that song all day and, true story, its on my workout playlist alongside other 80's classics like "You're the Best" and "Eye of the Tiger". Other than that, there are a couple of other crazy things to recommend in this film. One would be the completely insane "party" that the teenagers attend, that includes whipped cream bondage (unfortunately my own high school experience did not include parties like this) and the awesome basketball scene at the end, which sends us home happy. The thing with 80's movies, or many of them anyway, is that they're about losing before winning. This is a central theme in Teen Wolf as well, and for all its faults, it does handle that aspect pretty well. It also manages to be a little different than the standard "growing up sucks" films that were popular at the time, so it does have that going for it as well. I guess there's just no simple answer as to why it works given all its problems, but as I said earlier, it most certainly does. I can watch Teen Wolf anytime and always be entertained by it, and the film will always carry a certain amount of nostalgia for someone like me who grew up in the time of its release. It might represent every problem a film can have, but if the end result was Teen Wolf every time, it would be advisable for more young filmmakers to follow its example.

TW5-1.jpg

"And now, the moment of truth."

Teen Wolf ended up grossing over $33 million at the box office and also spawned a short-lived television cartoon and, eventually, a new spin-off television series. Oh, it also had a sequel, quaintly titled Teen Wolf Too, which starred Jason Bateman. If you can think of how bad Teen Wolf would be without Michael J. Fox, you've pretty much figured out how I feel about that particular sequel. At the end of the day, Teen Wolf is a movie that should totally fail, and actually even does, yet as I've said multiple times, its still a great piece of entertainment and a film everyone should give a chance to. Besides, its only 91 minutes of your life, which is more than enough time to enjoy watching Michael J; Fox do a handstand on top of a van while "Surfin' USA" plays in the background. 6.5/10.

TW2-1.jpg

"Ultra-douche says goodbye, see you soon folks."

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

I was never a huge fan of the movie, nor the sequel and cartoon. It was one of those movies that played on HBO monthly and almost daily it seemed so I was always flipping the channel after seeing it a couple of times. I know if I go back and watch it now, I will loathe it even more.

I agree with the score though. I know it is a popular film for a lot of people our age and older. Hell, my 13 year old nephew loves the movie so it does have its appeal.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

I agree with the score though. I know it is a popular film for a lot of people our age and older. Hell, my 13 year old nephew loves the movie so it does have its appeal.
There's "something" about Teen Wolf that makes it good, though I can't put it into words. It's just one of those things.

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
u6DnU5I

I agree with Troy, after seeing it on TV five million times it has lost it's appeal for me. Still a great movie though, but just one of those movies that if something more interesting is on I would definitely change the channel.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Crocodile Dundee

l_90555_36c90681.jpg

After hearing of a man named Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee, who apparently survived a Crocodile attack, a reporter named Sue Charlton heads to the Australian outback to interview him. Once there she discovers he's not quite as legendary as he was made out to be, though she does develop feelings for him after he saves her from a Crocodile. She invites him back to New York, where he quickly proves to be quite the fish out of water, with hilarious results.

CD1.jpg

Crocodile Dundee, released in 1986, is yet another of those 80's "vehicle" films that work really well because of the star. In this case, that star was writer/actor Paul Hogan, who captivates the audience with his undeniable charm and charisma. Before it even hit American soil the film had already shattered box office records in its native Australia, but not even the distributors or the producers could have imagined the impact it would have in the US. Indeed, upon its release, it rocketed straight to the top and made Hogan a bona fide sensation. For a time, there was nowhere one could go without seeing some sort of Crocodile Dundee merchandise, as the character became a pop culture phenomenon. That easily makes it perhaps the best example of what the "vehicle" film is intended to do. While its certainly not the funniest film ever made, or the most well put together, it has a certain inherent charm that allows it to rise above its limitations and become truly awesome entertainment.

CD4.jpg

"Now that's what I call a crappy boat."

Directed by Peter Faiman (in his feature film debut) and written by Paul Hogan, John Cornell and Ken Shadie, the film is clever, and also has a sense of irony while still being able to poke fun at itself. The screenplay is completely simple on every level, which is a good thing because there's no reason for this film to have been overly complicated in the first place. It's the age old story of an "innocent" put into a crazy and precarious situation, the country mouse gone to the city so to speak. It might be a little illogical at times, but its a romantic comedy, and as we all know, with movies like that, logic generally goes right out the window anyway. The direction from Faiman is tight and fast-paced, which helps to distract from the above-mentioned lack of logic. As well, cinematographer Russell Boyd does an incredible job shooting both the desolation of the Australian outback as well as the vibrant back drop of New York City. It's this juxtaposition that captures the viewers attention and forces them to keep watching. Well, that and Hogan's performance, which is quite simply flawless.

CD3.jpg

"Yeah, so its hard to get a date around here."

Make no mistake, Paul Hogan IS this film, and there is no way it would have been nearly as successful with any other actor in the role. He brings a fantastic deadpan style to the affair while also being extremely humorous. His work in the Australia portion is decent, and he plays the goofy character well, but its when he gets to New York that his talents really shine through. There's a couple of really funny moments, such as where he "checks" to make sure a girl is actually a girl and when he dumps a bunch of cocaine into steaming water to help a man with his "sinus" problem. Meanwhile, Linda Kozlowski does a great job with the character of Sue. She comes across as aggressive and liberated but is still capable of being wooed by the charms of a real man's man like Dundee. I realize this is a standard film cliche, but the two of them really make it work here and one almost forgets that this same story has been told 100 times before. I'd also like to give credit to Mark Blum, who plays Kozlowski's editor and boyfriend, Richard, as he is another shining example of an 80's movie douche done right.

CD2.jpg

"Now that's a knife."

As its a "fish out of water" film, there's obviously plenty of the elements that make those films so good here, and most of them work very well. I love the way Hogan sleeps on the floor even though there's a luxurious bed in his hotel. His method of figuring out where he is in the city, which involves scaling a lamppost, is also great. There's also the classic scene above where he explains to a would be mugger exactly what a knife is, and then proceeds to show him. I think one of the funniest things in the film is how he uses so many of the skills he's learned in the outback to survive in New York, such as when he hypnotizes some guard dogs like he earler did to a water buffalo. Outside of all the hilarity, there is some a little metaphor here as well, the idea of myths and why they're sometimes blown out of proportion. First off we have the initial myth of Dundee being the super heroic when he's actually more like a regular guy. Later we get the myth of New York being this great and wonderful city, which is instantly shattered when seen through the eyes of a foreigner. However, we're not here for symbolism, we're here for entertainment, and Hogan does a fantastic job of providing that throughout, which is why Crocodile Dundee ultimately succeeds where many other films like this fail. Oh, and it also has...this!

CD5.jpg

"Dat azz!"

Crocodile Dundee was shot on a budget of $8 million dollars and ended up grossing over $360 million worldwide in its theatrical release. That made it the number one film of the year worldwide, which can, for the most part, be attributed to Hogan's charm in the role. As I said before, there is just no way I can imagine anyone else playing the character and making it work the way he did. It's also interesting to me that he's never really gone on to do anything else of note in Hollywood (outside of a couple of awful Dundee sequels), though he did marry the ass up there so that, and the money he undoubtedly made on the points from this film, is probably enough. If you haven't seen Crocodile Dundee before, you should give it a shot. It's a light-hearted affair, and while it is a little illogical, you'll find yourself so enamoured of the title character that you'll barely notice. 7/10.

CD6.jpg

"It's an 80's movie, of course it has to end with a freeze frame."

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo

well done...it was a very lighthearted affair but serve it's purpose...saw it in the theatre and enjoyed it quite a bit...

Castiel

Reaction score

Oh man, I didn't know you reviewed Teen Wolf! Sorry, never meant to no sell it! Fox really does make the movie, he's an amazing actor, and while I love the wolf he could've easily have been awful, along with the whole movie if it weren't for Fox. Good stuff man! Also, I've never seen Crocodile Dundee. Just never appealed to me, but if you say it's decent maybe I'll give it a watch.