The Wing Kong Exchange (feat. Inferno)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Re: The Wing Kong Exchange

Really cool Glory review, never seen it but like so many other movies you review it's now on my list for sure! Jaws is just awesome, great stuff on them. Didn't you review one of the Jaws movies before?

I did 3 and 4 a few months back, so I figured I'd complete them and do the first two. Glad you liked them and I hope you watch Glory soon, its great.

Castiel

Reaction score

Why didn't you do them in order anyways? Lol

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Why didn't you do them in order anyways? Lol

Because back then I was only really reviewing bad movies, or "so bad they're good" movies.

Castiel

Reaction score

Ahhh, and I agree with you here, 1 & 2 are definitely just flat out great!

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Chronicle

l_1706593_f8c3e3db.jpg

Three high school seniors from varying social backgrounds discover a hole in the ground outside at a party and investigate. Inside the cave they come across something that they can't explain and once they leave they start to develop bizarre powers including telekinesis and the ability to fly. Unfortunately these powers soon begin to corrupt them and they quickly find their lives spiralling out of control.

C1.jpg

"Once more we go down into the rabbit hole"

Chronicle is another in the long line of "found footage" films that seem to be all the rage at the cinema these days. That being said, its certainly unique enough to distance itself from the rest of that pack. Unfortunately in doing so it also appears to forget what type of film it wants to be from time to time, which ultimately hurts it. While I'm not a fan of the concept of "found footage", I was nevertheless willing to give this film the benefit of the doubt because the trailer intrigued me. What I got at the end of the day was a film that is at times great and at other times boring. Chronicle is what its title promises, a chronicle of a series of events that take place during a specific place and time. The problem is that not all of those events are appealing to the viewer and so cause the film to become somewhat of a disinteresting piece where it could have been so much more.

C5.jpg

"Clearly super driving was NOT one of the powers these guys got."

Directed by Josh Trank (his first feature film after doing several episodes of the television show Kill Point) and written by Max Landis (son of American Werewolf in London director John Landis) from a story by he and Trank, the film does put an interesting spin on the standard "found footage" theme. It appears that Trank and Landis were also fans of the independent graphic novel "A God Somewhere", because the screenplay is certainly reminiscent of that story. The very idea of normal people suddenly developing powers that are capable of quickly corrupting them is not a new one in and of itself, though to their credit Landis and Trank don’t always go for the cliches of that premise. The direction is fairly solid, though the pacing is really out of sorts during the second act (more on that in a moment). I really liked the ingenious ways that they pulled off the footage concept, particularly the clever use of security cameras during a scene at a hospital and also the fact that one of the characters keeps a mini cam hovering around him at all times. These show a certain flair for the unique that serve the film well, though technical wizardry is only part of what’s positive about it.

C3.jpg

”Not exactly the Three Musketeers are they?”

The cast is solid for the most part, though the young actors do have a tendency to drift in and out of character from time to time. The “lead” character, Andrew, is played remarkably well though, and I expect good things from Dane DeHaan in the future. He has a certain emotional range about him that doesn’t require words to get across and he is very expressive in his use of mannerisms. This is not really something that most people will notice but I was very taken with his performance and found myself wanting the film to focus solely on him, which it does for the most part. Alex Russell plays his cousin Matt and does a decent job, though I could imagine pretty much any other young actor doing about the same. It’s not that he’s a bad actor, its just that the part isn’t as fleshed out as Andrew’s so its harder to become invested in the character. Michael B. Jordan portrays Steve, the third teen affected by the powers, and brings some levity to the film along with some more decent acting. In fact, the three are quite likeable together, which is definitely a positive. Support comes in the form of Michael Kelly as Andrew’s alcoholic and abusive father and he manages to do a great job convincing you that he’s a complete and total douche of the highest order. In fact, he has the absolute best dialogue in the film where he somehow uses backwards logic to blame his son for his mother’s death because he was out looking for him. Yes, he’s easy to hate, which becomes important as the film progresses, so kudos to Kelly for his excellent work.

C2.jpg

”I am the Apex Predator and if Orton has a problem with that I’ll rip his teeth out.”

As I mentioned earlier, there are certainly some good elements to this film, though unfortunately most of them come during the first act. I loved the concept of the unearthing, the dark and extremely claustrophobic camera work in the tunnel and the subsequent discovery of the presence that gives these young men their abilities. At the same time I was also a big fan of the fact that this presence was never fully explained, as to do so would have been detrimental to the idea that the film was taking place in a finite amount of time. The following scenes where they start to determine how to use the powers they’ve gained are also quite good, including some funny moments where they are trying to stop a ball from hitting them and a great scene in a market where they scare the crap out of a little girl by making a teddy bear dance. The climax of the film is also pretty well done though I had a little trouble discerning exactly what was happening at times, mostly due to the jerky camera movements. However these were appropriate as well, since they fit in with the motif of the film, so I have no real complaints there.

C4.jpg

”Showdown at the Seattle Space Needle...film at Eleven.”

What I do have a complaint about is the entire middle act of the film. From the moment one of the boys uses his powers for evil the entire thing seems to fall off the rails. After this I was treated to more melodramatic acting than I could shake a tube of Pringles at, a talent show scene that really didn’t do anything for me at all and a house party sequence that looked like it was thrown together at the last moment to add some more time to the film. I honestly think the first act and the last 10 minutes of the third act were written by one person and the second act by another. It totally feels like two different films and that is not a good thing. Once if went off those rails, it was very hard to recover and I honestly don’t think it ever really did. By the time the film was over I was left with an empty feeling, like I hadn’t gotten any kind of resolution or reward for my patience in sitting through it. If this had been a French art house film I would have accepted that as it simply being pretentious, but this was an American “found footage” film so unfortunately I cannot. Chronicle is likely to be a divisive and polarizing film, as fans of the genre will undoubtedly drool over its contribution while non-fans will point to its obvious flaws. I’m kind of in the middle, but I still wish that second act had been a little bit stronger because my entire opinion of the film would have changed drastically.

C7.jpg

”I’m willing to bet that’s going to leave a mark.”

Chronicle was shot on a budget of $12 million and has so far grossed over $45 million at the box office. Those are great numbers considering it doesn’t seem the type of film to entice a large amount of viewers to see it. I count the strong marketing campaign and people’s desire to see films that could potentially be unique as the reasons why its done so well. I’d also be quite happy to see another film from Trank and Landis, perhaps a more straight-forward one rather than another attempt to bleed a penny or two from the “found footage” genre. One thing’s for sure, if you’re looking for something a little bit different, Chronicle is for you, though that’s not necessarily a good thing. 6/10.

C6.jpg

”Abracadabra, presto change-o and I’ll see you tomorrow!”

Reactions: 1 person

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

I think that is the strongest rating I have seen from anyone online. Most people (I have not seen the film so I can't comment much from experience, just what I've read) have the same opinion as you about the direction of the film. The middle act basically ruins it. I will catch it on video and be able to have a more of an educated opinion on it. Just from everything that has been said though, I doubt I will come away liking it or even making it all the way through it.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

I think that is the strongest rating I have seen from anyone online. Most people (I have not seen the film so I can't comment much from experience, just what I've read) have the same opinion as you about the direction of the film. The middle act basically ruins it. I will catch it on video and be able to have a more of an educated opinion on it. Just from everything that has been said though, I doubt I will come away liking it or even making it all the way through it.

It averages a 7.5/10 on IMDB, which once again proves that its hard to take that site seriously. I'd say the first 25 minutes are pretty great, and then skip to the last 10 and you'll be fine. :lol:

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

The Woman in Black

l_1596365_ea2f0388.jpg

A young, widowed lawyer is sent to a remote village to handle the estate of Alice Drablow, who owned a manor known as Eel Marsh House. Once the lawyer gets to the village he soon notices that many of the locals are suspicious and tell him not to go near the house. He doesn't believe their superstitions and so ventures out to the house to see it for himself. What he discovers is a horror beyond his imagination and a spirit hungry for revenge.

WIB1.jpg

The Woman in Black is a film that seems to be getting a lot of praise, though I'm really not sure why. It doesn't break any new ground in the horror genre, has no real purpose and generally meanders about for an hour and a half with no payoff. It's basically a carbon copy of several other, better films that have come before it, including another version of this same story that was released in 1989. Along with that it basically insults the intelligence of its viewer time and time again before it mercifully closes out with a whimper rather than a bang. What's sad is that this seems to be the standard horror film released today, at least by the major studios, and that is something that really needs to change soon. At the end of the day, The Woman in Black is tired, tawdry and timid, nothing like what was promised in the trailer. I guess at this point I shouldn't really be surprised by that, only saddened.

WIB3.jpg

"There's only one way to go from here and its where the film goes too."

Directed by James Watkins and written by Jane Goldman, the film is based on a novel by Susan Hill. As I mentioned earlier, it also inspired a film released in 1989, which you would do well to seek out as its way better than this one. Hill's source material is faithfully adapted, so I can't blame Goldman for the mess that this film becomes. She does what she can to craft a suspenseful and morose tale, though in the long run it ultimately fails. The reason for this is that the film plays as if it were meant to be a slow burner but never really delivers the payoff. At the end you're basically left wondering what the point of that elaborate set up was when nothing materializes. I'd say Watkins was slightly unsure of himself but I've seen his other film, Eden Lake, and it was certainly better than this so I'm not entirely sure what causes this film to be so bad. Suffice to say, if I was the star, I would have picked a better vehicle to try and break out of my previously typecast character.

WIB2.jpg

"Don't call me Harry."

This is Daniel Radcliffe's first real foray into the acting world after several years of playing the character of Harry Potter in that franchise. To his credit, it didn't take me long to forget Radcliffe was Harry Potter, so that's a good sign for his future film work. I felt this was a good role for him to take as it still follows with the Potter theme a little in terms of its darkness, so he can properly segue out of that role and into other fare. The trouble is, he has very little to do here except walk around a house and act scared, which isn't going to be enough to gain him any new fans. Again, the blame can't lie with Radcliffe, he's not responsible for the script or the direction, but it should definitely serve as a wake up call to him that he can't just take any old film that comes along. Outside of his relatively good performance, the only other one of note is Janet McTeer as a woman suffering from some severe mental trauma. She basically steals the show in her few scenes and provides some welcome dialogue to a film that doesn't have a lot of it to begin with.

WIB5.jpg

"We ain't going to Hogwarts."

As is the norm around here, I will look at the positive aspects before I focus on the negatives, though unfortunately there aren't a lot of them. I really did like the set decoration and the house itself literally became another character in the story. That's a good thing too because it showed more personality than everyone else in the film save for Radcliffe and McTeer. To be fair, the other characters are meant to be uneasy in their portrayals, so they do a good job getting that point across even if they appear bland most of the time. Along with the house, I enjoyed a scene where a rocking chair rocks by itself (technically not as the woman is rocking in it but Radcliffe can't see that because she's a ghost and all) because let's face it, chairs rocking by themselves are always pretty cool...in a creepy way. It's just one of those sight gags that never gets old. There's also a neat little sequence where the body of a boy rises from a murky grave that is very well shot. The ambience and mood of the film isn't totally awful and at times I found myself slipping into its world. The trouble is those times were too few and far between for me to care enough to invest totally in it, which is a real problem.

WIB4.jpg

"Now that's what I call some good advice"

One thing I really disliked in this film was the constant shots of the woman in black. I felt repeatedly showing the ghost was a bad move and really took away from the mystery of the whole thing. In fact, at one point the ghost appears over Radcliffe's shoulder when he looks out a window and I said to myself, "it's not scary when it's just stupid", a line that applies many times to this film. There's another point in the film where it lists a character's cause of death as "self-murder" which I felt was very appropriate considering I thought of doing the same thing to myself several times while watching it. There were times where I honestly didn't know what was going on since the film seemed totally disjointed and poorly paced. There is an uneasiness to the film that I believe is meant to be part of the atmosphere, but it comes across as more of a detriment than anything else. So basically what he have here is a film with a creepy atmosphere and a relatively strong lead performance that ultimately goes nowhere. It also didn't help that I've seen this exact story done so many times before in better films. It really is a shame, because Hammer Films was once a great studio that churned out a myriad of excellent works. When I see a film like The Woman in Black, I long for those days while sadly realizing that they may never return. It just seems too easy for studios to churn out these pale imitations and the fact that most of them profit doesn't help in the slightest.

WIB7.jpg

"One thing's for sure, she's better looking than Radcliffe!"

The Woman in Black was shot on a budget of $17 million and has so far earned more than $46 million at the box office. Amazingly enough, its also received widespread critical acclaim and I have to ask what the hell these people are smoking? There isn't a lot about this film that I can recommend outside of a chance to see Radcliffe play a character other than Potter, and that's probably not enough for most people. Seriously, find the original film or better yet, just read the book on which they're based. It's a nice film to look at, but so are paintings in an art gallery, and you won't have to pay for popcorn there. 5/10.

WIB6.jpg

"Until we meet again my lovelies....."

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

This saddens me as I had high hopes for this. I guess one positive I can see that you mentioned is you were able to not see Radcliffe as Harry Potter.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

This saddens me as I had high hopes for this. I guess one positive I can see that you mentioned is you were able to not see Radcliffe as Harry Potter.

That's the only positive. I just felt that I'd seen this movie way too many times before, and this version wasn't up to the standards of some of the others.

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Can I get u to do a Red State review sir?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

Can I get u to do a Red State review sir?

I very much would love to read a review from you on this movie. So I echo those sentiments.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

What if you don't like what I have to say about it?

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

I would still like to read your review and what you have to say about it. Irregardless of how you feel about it.

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
To be honest I am not sure how you could hate on this movie...and especially the performance of Michael Parks