• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Video Game Debate Thread

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
This thread here's for a wide range of topics about video games that may lead to bountiful discussion and debate. It can be pretty common subjects, such as "Mario vs. Zelda", "Xbox vs. PlayStation", "When's Half-Life 3 Gonna Come Out", to some more specific topics as well. I think since we all mostly play games at some point or another, we have opinions on things we like to share. Well with this thread, it's a perfect chance to debate with friends.

So without further ado...

acastro_210113_1777_gamingstock_0002.0.jpg

The Video Game Debate Club

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
I can never get in on the Pokemon debates because I've never played any of them.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Moon Bird

In regards to Half Life 3 :

The time between Half Life and Half life 2 was 6 years. Which gives Half Life a half life of 3 years.

Half Life 3 can also be read as half life cubed. So if we take the half life of Half Life which is 3 years and cube it we get... 27

So expect Half Life 3 to drop in... 2031 (27 years after Half Life 2)

I'll be quoting this post in 10 years time telling everyone I told you so....

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
I always preferred RE4 Leon over his RE2 version. Huge sin I know. :slip:

leon-s-kennedy-leon.gif

I kinda dug the cocky action star vibe he had, with the cheesy one liners. Although I didn't like him in RE6.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Silent Hill or Resident Evil?

I know there are a few of you on here who love Resident Evil so I have a feeling on how this one is going to go.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Silent Hill or Resident Evil?

I know there are a few of you on here who love Resident Evil so I have a feeling on how this one is going to go.

I think Resident Evil arguably wins especially considering for all the shit that RE has in the franchise (Survivor, 6, Operation Raccoon City), it has far more masterpieces in the series (Remake, OG 2, OG 3, 4, 7) in comparison to Silent Hill, which nowadays is probably PT and Silent Hill 2.

As far as horror goes, both go for starkly different ideals, and comparing them is sort of a useless exercise. Resident Evil, for all intents and purposes, is about the horror in limiting the player against a setting and seeing how they overcome it. Silent Hill goes for the horror in the unseen and in warping the perceived reality of the player. Resident Evil and Silent Hill are proponents of claustrophobia, but Resident Evil's is generated through not knowing what's around the corner. Silent Hill's is moreso because the setting feels oppressive, bleak, and foggy.

The mansion in Resident Evil and REmake is a great set piece in of itself as a closed circle that must be progressed through repetition and extermination of enemies. The only areas that truly feel oppressive and bleak are the basement, labs, and underground. However the setting doesn't truly change significantly.

Silent Hill, the town, *is* a character, because it changes and warps as the games progress. Certain things significantly change in the town, and the player more or less, can't do much to reverse it.

With all that said, I think both stand on their own separate but not mutually exclusive merit as horror games. As video games in general, Resident Evil has more to offer with its varied games and interesting ideas that even if they don't stick the landing, they're creatively solid. Most Silent Hill games are inherently similar in the way they are designed, save for PT and other odd projects. Meanwhile, Resident Evil has gone from Static Camera Angles, Dynamic Camera Angles, Over the Shoulder 3rd Person, First Person, and has transitioned from a fairly spooky but campy game to an action-horror thriller, a genuine survival horror masterpiece, a popcorn action flick for a few games before finally wrapping around into a horror survival game in which you are actively stalked by a primary antagonist.

Silent Hill went from well, Silent Hill with static Camera angles, to Silent Hill with over the shoulder cameras (and PT to a first person pov).

Resident Evil went from Alone in the Dark to Aliens-esque, to Army of Darkness, before rooting itself, ironically, back into Clock Tower.

TL/DR: Resident Evil as a game series, but both are equal in terms of horror games.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Pikachu literally follows you about in yellow and is sassy AF plus you can get Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle without having to trade. No contest

Mox Girl

Resident Mox fangirl
To answer the Pokemon question, it's Black & White 2. Gen 4 is my fave gen (cos my fave Pokemon is from that gen and the soundtrack is GOAT), but I think BW2 is a better game gameplay wise. I think it's the Pokemon game I've put the most hours into, and I've replayed it numerous times. I hope if they remake gen 5 in the future, they do BW2 instead of BW lol, but they prob won't.

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Yeah, definitely Resident Evil for me compared to Silent Hill. Even if you factor in the weaker ones, it's still unmatched in terms of its atmosphere. Especially the original game, that Mansion setting and the music. Oh man. I will say that Silent Hill is very good too, but I only ever really think about Silent Hill 1-3. Resident Evil has a lot of good entries, and I'm not even that opposed to some of the more action orientated ones.

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Would you rather a game released in its native language and have English subs, kind of like Subbed Anime for an example, or would you rather them be dubbed? I only ask this mainly because after playing STALKER and Metro I realized I would rather them be in Russian/Ukrainian with English subs than English dub with Russian subs.