The Undertaker's Wrestlemania Opponent

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

jacksionreo

Reaction score
Wade Barrett is not stand any way against The great Undertaker. I would like to see him against undertaker in Wrestlemaina.

Airfixx

Reaction score
News, rumours and spoliers to the NEWS, RUMOURS & SPOILERS section please.

Taker v Wade @ WM27: The only way I wanna see this is if Cena is still Wade's bitch and Cena helps Wade break the streak as the catalyst for the birth of an uber-heel Cena.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
^^^and considering that will seem to blow up at Survivor Series, after the Rumble, I don't see Wade having much steam (see Sheamus now compared to a few months ago)

I really think that this should be it for Taker. He has beaten everyone we've thrown at him from The Rock to Mark Henry to HBK. Give the "WWE Universe" what they want and throw Cena his way. Break the streak. Send Taker home in the most respectful way possible and evolve Cena's career from being one of the biggest faces of the 21st Century, to potentially the biggest heel the company has seen in a very long time.

Airfixx

Reaction score
^^^Rock v Taker @ WM?

Nexus/Cena: Not saying that it WILL go beyond SSeries, but there's no reason why it can't. As I said elsewhere SSeries is all about what finish creative comes up with.... Certainly can't count out some kind of swerve.

Personally, I'll be sad to see the current chapter in the Nexus saga come to an end... I think it's playing out very well and Wade's been great and I certainly don't wanna see him crushed by a limping, out of shape Taker (a la CM Punk). Mind you, you gotta assume the deadman will want revenge for Nexus's part in the buried alive match.

As for heel Cena, I think Cena would get a tonne more heat for helping Wade break the streak than if he did it himself... Tonnes of the kids will still cheer him unless he does something absolutely dispicable whereas, any time anyone heard Wade brag about ending the streak (see the mileage that Y2J gets out of beating Rock & Austin on the same night) they'll KNOW they have Cena to thank for it.

A-l-l-l-l that said, I too wanna see Taker/Cena.

Doomsday

Reaction score
I really think that this should be it for Taker. He has beaten everyone we've thrown at him from The Rock to Mark Henry to HBK. Give the "WWE Universe" what they want and throw Cena his way. Break the streak. Send Taker home in the most respectful way possible and evolve Cena's career from being one of the biggest faces of the 21st Century, to potentially the biggest heel the company has seen in a very long time.
Please realize that the most heel you'll ever see from John Cena is him being a member of the Nexus right now. Admit the horrible truth to yourself.

Airfixx

Reaction score
^^^...And you know this HOW?

Pavitar

Reaction score
It's now beginning to seem that WWE management is leaning more and more towards a match between Wade Barrett and The Undertaker. I think it'll be a good bout if WWE continues to properly build Barrett's credibility up before the big showdown.

Airfixx

Reaction score
It's now beginning to seem that WWE management is leaning more and more towards a match between Wade Barrett and The Undertaker.

Only due to the rumours circulating (such as that provoked this thread).... Personal insight this isn't.

CMS

Reaction score
To be honest, we do nothing especulating about Taker's opponent at Mania. You could make an entire argument of how it makes sense for Taker to face Barret or Cena at Mania in revenge for what Nexus did, Barret because of the actual attack and Cena because Taker might say he did nothing to stop it......

...but then again, they could just have Taker destroy Nexus at Elimination Chamber freeing him for somebody else at Mania. It's not like WWE is not known for ending potential Mania feud early in favor of others (see the JBL-HBK-Taker scenario)

Airfixx

Reaction score
To be honest, we do nothing especulating about Taker's opponent at Mania. You could make an entire argument of how it makes sense for Taker to face Barret or Cena at Mania in revenge for what Nexus did, Barret because of the actual attack and Cena because Taker might say he did nothing to stop it......

The point I was trying to make was that no-one here had previously openly speculated about Wade/Taker until this report surfaced, so they've no right to claim insight like Pavitar appears to be.

...but then again, they could just have Taker destroy Nexus at Elimination Chamber freeing him for somebody else at Mania. It's not like WWE is not known for ending potential Mania feud early in favor of others (see the JBL-HBK-Taker scenario)

Yeah, that was blatantly originally intended to be JBLs final program. Still pissed that was cut short.

CMS

Reaction score
I agree with you. Barret wasn't even a posibility before this report, and I am almost sure whoever reported this (don't know who exactly the original reporter was as I have seen this in many different sites) didn't even consider Barret as a name worthy of especulating for until Bragging Rights.

However, isn't this more or less what happens every year concerning Taker? Last year, nobody dared to predict HBK vs Taker II. When WWE started teasing it, all reports kept saying it was a red hearring for HBK vs HHH. Now, for Mania 27, we have heard about WWE pondering on having Taker face HHH, Cena, Sheamus, Goldberg and now Barret. Is ridiculous. Entertaining. But ridiculous.

Anyways, if WWE keeps their booking, and because I don't think, even if they have pushed Barret so hard, that they will give him such a big profile match this early on and considering Taker will not be here long enough, I am saying they either give us Cena vs Taker or Taker vs HHH, and Barret will be facing a face David Otunga. That, or some midcard match against HHH a la Sheamus. That if he's lucky. If not, he'll be in some sort of All Out Nexus implodes Battle Royal

Veritas

Reaction score
My guess would be the original source for this rumor came from the Observer where it was reported WWE is CONSIDERING Barrett for Taker's opponent, as well as a Barrett/Sheamus program for next year.

My personal opinion on the streak is if it is ended by someone who doesn't need the rub I'll be ever so pissed but if it's ended by someone who could use the momentum to actually move towards becoming a real draw then awesome, great job WWE. I mean, the Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels retirement programs were some really good, compelling TV with exciting matches and great endings but, once they were over what was the company left with? One more old, part time top guy gone and the heat from his departure on another old, part time top guy. It's basically one of the biggest things wrong with the business today - there are so few new top guys because so few guys of the old top guys are willing to put them over.

If the company is really going to get behind Barrett and push him as a real star then I wouldn't have a problem with him being the guy to end the streak but my personal pick would be Sheamus. The guy is a main eventer and gets good reactions in the arenas but he hasn't proven to be anything special as far as drawing goes and, again in my opinion, the reason for that is because he hasn't really been put over anyone. When he beat Cena for the WWE title he won it basically on a fluke and that's what it was put over as. He lost to Triple H at Mania and, when he did beat him on a B-show PPV later, it was only because he attacked Hunter with a pipe at the beginning of the show. The second time he won the title it was in a 4-way with help from Nexus. A real program with Taker that ends with a decisive victory in Sheamus's favor could really do wonders into truly putting the Irishman over.

CMS

Reaction score
Then again, after HBK, I will have a hard time seeing someone like Sheamus ending the streak.

Airfixx

Reaction score
CM Punk would have been a great choice because he has what it takes to run with that particular proverbial ball and also needs something to put him over for good, but Taker made him look a joke whilst 'warming himself' back up his next short run.

Said it already, but protecting the Taker gimmick is doing more harm than good these days (especially as he seems to have shorter and shorter stints of activty each time he returns)... It's just too disruptive to the progression/build of the rest of the SD roster. ...And I know we're not meant to think like this, but WDF are we meant to make of the perenial upper-midcard jobber Kane beating Taker 3 or 4 matches in a row whilst guys that have beaten Kane week in week out over the years can't even get close.

IMO Taker should just do a few high profile jobs and then retire.