• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Shield as individuals

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
As a babyface the rapper gimmick didnt work but as a heel it was fun, his delivery was perfect for the role.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
As a babyface the rapper gimmick didnt work but as a heel it was fun, his delivery was perfect for the role.
Probably the fact that I didn't watch when he did it and I've only looked back on it in hindsight, but I just find it cringeworthy. Ooooooo he wore a Celtics jersey in MSG ooooooooooo

f37x42.gif

I guess if you mean his delivery was perfect for the role you meant he was a shitty rapper and it made people hate his harsh words even more, I guess there could be something to that.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
You're kind of right with the last part it was so easy to hate, plus the gimmick was so ridiculous it provided comedy such as the rap battle with Angle. Don't judge it as an actual musician, judge it as a comedic character.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
You're kind of right with the last part it was so easy to hate, plus the gimmick was so ridiculous it provided comedy such as the rap battle with Angle. Don't judge it as an actual musician, judge it as a comedic character.
I guess, but it wasn't a comedy gimmick and most people who like it don't view it that way.

I didn't find it "so bad its good" just "so bad"

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
I liked Cena's rap gimmick. I mean, the Wigger thing was sort of annoying, but as far as cutting promos on his opponents, it was literally the only time his character had any real edge at all on a consistent basis and it's what helped get him so mega popular in the first place (this was before the John Cena we know today that gets booed mercilessly by most of the audience as soon as his music hits.). Of course his raps got cheesy around mid/late 2004 or so (although that didn't halt his rise in popularity), but that's a different issue.

Anyway, as for The Shield;

Dean Ambrose will play the role of an arrogant and unstable sort of psychotic individual who is unpredictable and could snap on his opponents at any moment. I imagine a cross between Jake "The Snake" Roberts and Brian Pillman and maybe a little bit of "Psycho" Sid as well.

Seth Rollins will be the Shawn Michaels of his generation, maybe. (Ok, technically, Daniel Bryan has that spot sort of locked down, but Rollins' size, agility, quickness and selling makes for a strong comparison with HBK as well.)

Roman Reigns will be the next Batista. Large guy with a certain aura around him that will get over huge due to good booking despite his decent-at-best mic skills.

Crayo

The Boss
I actually agree with Lockard's comparison. You'll probably retort saying I'm a known Reigns hater, even though I'm really not, but he has a point. It's obviously not a like-for-like comparison but the foundation is there. Reigns isn't going to use mic skills to get over or grow a fan base. It will completely depend on the natural aura he has - the IT factor - and good booking that will get him to stardom. However, I do not think he is the next big face of WWE, but he will be a major player.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
lockard is slipping. Reigns compared to Batista? jump off a cliff dick wad

I'm talking about 2005 Batista, not 2014 Batista. The comparison couldn't be more exact - neither guy are that great or exhilarating on the mic but don't have to be since both have the whole "Big Man Aura" going for them, both men have a move set consisting of big power moves, etc. The only thing Reigns has over Batista is a couple of extra signature moves that are pretty cool (the Superman Punch, the Running Drop Kick) but otherwise, aside from being drawn to one guy more than the other (which is a personal taste sort of thing), I see little difference.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
I'm talking about 2005 Batista, not 2014 Batista. The comparison couldn't be more exact - neither guy are that great or exhilarating on the mic but don't have to be since both have the whole "Big Man Aura" going for them, both men have a move set consisting of big power moves, etc. The only thing Reigns has over Batista is a couple of extra signature moves that are pretty cool (the Superman Punch, the Running Drop Kick) but otherwise, aside from being drawn to one guy more than the other (which is a personal taste sort of thing), I see little difference.
Reigns has a much better range if motion and is quicker and more athletic.

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
I agree with both Lockard and Crayo. Reigns will be big, but he won't be the FACE a la Cena/Hogan.

Last edited:

Crayo

The Boss
Reigns has a much better range if motion and is quicker and more athletic.
What does this have to do with comparing Reigns with Batista because both rely on look and booking? I'm not going against what you're saying, although it's hard to compare ring work when we haven't seen hardly any Reigns, but it's pretty irrelevant in this comparison imo.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
What does this have to do with comparing Reigns with Batista because both rely on look and booking? I'm not going against what you're saying, although it's hard to compare ring work when we haven't seen hardly any Reigns, but it's pretty irrelevant in this comparison imo.
Reigns has potential to be great in the ring, the aspects I mention attest to that. So perhaps in the future he won't just have to rely on look when being a top face. Whereas Batista was only a moderately successful face due to his look.