The Rock the biggest draw of 1999

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLStern

Refuter of Revisionist History
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
15 million dollars a year doesn't mean he has made 15 million dollars a year for multiple years.

Yes it does, if you say “I made $10 a year” that doesn’t mean one year, that means multiple, at least two.

Also, you are making a thread about The Rock in 1999, then post an article about him in 2001.

Which brings up what he made in the last two years(at least, hence a year) which includes 1999.

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
Anyone else looking to get refuted?

tenor.gif

Necro

Hi, I'm Chucky. Wanna play?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Anyone else looking to get refuted?

tenor.gif

Stone Cold Steve Austin is the biggest draw in the history of the business. That goes for live events, merchandise, TV ratings and PPV buys. That is indisputable.

That's our argument, and you can't dispute that.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Again for the millionth time, What financials? Which Forbes article? what are the credibility of who’s being interviewed.

I provide a source that interviewed Rock first hand, the facts are from him the very person who had the revenue and made the revenue and you said it wasn’t credible, you lose any shred of credibility in this debate.

No sources, no proof, nothing.

You are the one who not only don’t understand the burden of proof, you don’t even comprehend the very concept of proof.
I didn't make the claim. You did. The burden of proof is never on the person disagreeing with you so no you don't understand it.

Why would I bother? I can find them, but you'll still post your magazine scan that has zero proof on it and still say you refuted it.

And no, I'm not gonna post anyone interviewing the Rock. You clearly don't understand The Rock isn't a credible source.

He has no idea much merch Austin sold nor is he gonna say how much merch he sold.

Be honest with me, if I find the quotes you know exist as this thread wouldn't exist if you didn't, are you gonna back down even a little?

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Stone Cold Steve Austin is the biggest draw in the history of the business. That goes for live events, merchandise, TV ratings and PPV buys. That is indisputable.

That's our argument, and you can't dispute that.
I don't even care to prove this as it's so subjective, but the fact is Austin sold half the merch in the entire company in 1999. It's a fact.

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2

Nope, Refuted:

1999 The Rock is named the biggest box office star of 1999, breaking Austin’s record in 1998. In 2000 the Rock would then break his own record from 1999.

The Rock was drawing the biggest PPV’s whenever he main evented that year(First 3, KOTR) while breaking the record and drawing the biggest wrestling ppv of all time at the time with Wrestlemania 15, he would then break this record with Wrestlemania 2000.

Rock outdraws Austin on August 24, 1998 Raw during road to Summerslam 1998:

The Rock drew the biggest ratings the entire year, start to finish, outdrawing Stone Cold since the end of 1998:

Rock out pops Austin even as WWF champion May 3rd 1999:

Compilation of Rock’s media coverage:

-7:50 “he’s the hottest thing in the world wrestling federation”
Appearances on:

The View - 2:59

That 70’s show - 1:13

Much music - 25:56

Promoting Georgia dome debut(Where they booed Austin)- 11:13

People magazine names Rock one of the sexist men of 1999 - 22:30

On TSN’s Off The Record with Michael Landsberg, February 1999

4:50 - “In 1996 if anyone could’ve told you that you would become one of the most personalities in North America and around the world that wouldn’t have surprised you?”

15:40 - “You took that guys place, Stone Cold”

Crowds cheers Rock over Austin on road to Wrestlemania 15 despite being a heel: https://wrestlingsmarks.com/threads...ld-during-the-road-to-wrestlemania-15.118706/

Rock drew the highest rated cable segment in professional wrestling history on the September 27, 1999 Raw Is War with an 8.4:

1999 was Austin’s peak year of his own career, despite that The Rock was a bigger draw and more popular than Stone Cold.

I don't even care to prove this as it's so subjective, but the fact is Austin sold half the merch in the entire company in 1999. It's a fact.

Again, prove it. You provide zero proof, zero verified facts.

Rock was the top merchandise seller of 1999, your incoherent and denial of proof doesn’t change that:
CndkPzW.jpg

You clearly don't understand The Rock isn't a credible source.

By what objective standard?

You’re saying the most reliable source... THE actual source isn’t reliable, you’re killing your credibility here.

It’s analogous to saying the victim of a crime isn’t a credible.

You claim you don’t care yet you’re jumping through all these gymnastics and claiming that the VERY generator of that revenue isn’t credible.

That’s like not taking Elon Musk as credible when he reports Tesla earnings... it’s his revenue of course he’s credible.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
The source is WWE and you're stating they are lying. Rock has no way of knowing what Austin sold in merch.

Necro

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Where did you prove The Rock was the top merch seller of 1999?

Necro

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
This list depicts merchandise sales in a single year.
1>Steve Austin-13 million(1998)

2>Dwayne Johnson-11 million(2000)

3>Hulk Hogan-8 million(1985)

4>John Cena-5 million(2009)

5>CM Punk-3 million(2011)

These numbers are according to Dave Meltzer. Bruce Prichard also said Steve Austin's 1998 merch sales were the most in history of the WWE.

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
The source is WWE and you're stating they are lying. Rock has no way of knowing what Austin sold in merch.

Rock is giving us his earnings, which includes merchandise, which shows higher revenue and higher merchandise percentage. You’re refuted.

Unless you’re saying Rock’s a liar you’re dismissed.

Where did you prove The Rock was the top merch seller of 1999?

Rock drew the most merchandise, in Austin's best year he made $6,000,000, while The Rock made $15,000,000 Yearly/Multiple Years. Rock earned more than double than Austin's Best 1 Year.(Meaning he drew lower every other year)

CndkPzW.jpg

Austin sold $13,000,000 in merchandise, a percentage of that is given to him, where his earnings were $6,000,000 in his best year. Going by that percentage, by Rock's Yearly $15,000,000 salary, Rock sold Approximately(Underestimating here, should be more) $23,000,000+ Yearly in merchandise with Competition(Austin's best selling year didn't have heavy competition in merchandise, whereas with Rock, by 1999 almost everyone had merchandise.)

$23,000,000+ Yearly Merchandise sold with Competition > $13,000,000 Best Year Merchandise sold with almost no competition & multiple shirts throughout the year.

$15,000,000 Yearly Earnings > $6,000,000 Best Year Earning.

Rock was a bigger draw in merchandise than Austin.

These numbers are according to Dave Meltzer. Bruce Prichard also said Steve Austin's 1998 merch sales were the most in history of the WWE.

Meltzer isn’t credible, especially when we have contradicting numbers from a reputable source(Ebony) in a Direct interview from The Rock(100x credible than Meltzer)

1999 & 2000 merch sales outdid 1998 merch sales, so Prichard is dismissed.

You guys can bitch all you want, Meltzer is not more credible than The Rock, that’s a first hand source.

Necro

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Austin sold $13,000,000 in merchandise, a percentage of that is given to him, where his earnings were $6,000,000 in his best year. Going by that percentage, by Rock's Yearly $15,000,000 salary, Rock sold Approximately(Underestimating here, should be more) $23,000,000+ Yearly in merchandise with Competition(Austin's best selling year didn't have heavy competition in merchandise, whereas with Rock, by 1999 almost everyone had merchandise.)

$23,000,000+ Yearly Merchandise sold with Competition > $13,000,000 Best Year Merchandise sold with almost no competition & multiple shirts throughout the year.

What's the source on these numbers?

Necro

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
The Rock... lol

CndkPzW.jpg

I'm asking you where you got the merch numbers from. Please don't tell me that those numbers is literally math you just made up.

Last edited:

Adapting

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Sports Team
pxAmCgn
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
Or we can view all legends as big draws and not compare but enjoy what they did in the past.

Reactions: Brad Boyd and Chris

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
I'm asking you where you got the merch numbers from. Please tell me those numbers is literally math you just made up.

Those are the merchandise numbers lol your revenue contains a percentage of merchandise, Rock had higher revenue, therefore higher merchandise and consistently outsold Austin from 1999-2002, we have top sellers list from Shopzone archives.

While I post those factual numbers, all I get is unverified claims with zero credibility or refuted by the factual numbers.

My source is The Rock, the best source available lol

Status
Not open for further replies.