The Rise and Fall of Wrestling in Puerto Rico

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
Crowd in Puerto Rico nearly kills Konnan, skip to 5:20

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
That had to be one of the stiffest headshots I have ever seen before, good lord.
Not sure if this is true, but I heard the guitar got switched. I kinda believe it, because Konnan gently taps Carlos after hitting Stacy. I kinda miss living in Puerto Rico. First I saw Stacy I think she was in Raw one time and Carlito freaked out lol

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Not sure if this is true, but I heard the guitar got switched. I kinda believe it, because Konnan gently taps Carlos after hitting Stacy. I kinda miss living in Puerto Rico. First I saw Stacy I think she was in Raw one time and Carlito freaked out lol
I mean either way it was still stiff as hell. Lol.

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
I have caught a few episodes here and there and absolutely love how Carlito and Ray Gonzalez have been feuding since I was in 3rd grade in 2000 a year before I moved from Puerto Rico to Florida. Well minus the time Ray went to IWA and Carlito to WWE

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
I wasn't a wrestling fan but I thought this was the coolest thing when I was a kid heck me and my cousin talked about it on a plane ride from Puerto Rico to Florida with another kid. Sunshine is like Dave Chappelle he is considered one of if not the greatest comedians in Puerto Rico. Also check out pre Cool Carlito

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I recall hearing that a major issue with Puerto Rico was an extreme oversaturation, it's also what killed the Georgia territory in the late-80s, for a period of time and JCP/NWA/WCW had to branch out. Essentially, Puerto Rico was churning out money, so to capitalize on it, the promoters started producing more and largely discarded the time-tested, and proper booking strategy of building heat for a return to a town. It was all or nothing in every show, it squeezed the market dry and killed off the interest.

Another aspect was probably an aging superstar roster. Abdullah the Butcher, Bruiser Brody, Tony Atlas, Carlos Colon and others were the major stars and stayed the major stars (not really Atlas but he was a big name), and with them on-top and not getting any younger, the market was pegged to them. It's a very similar scenario with a lot of the territories, especially the smaller ones like St. Louis, Los Angeles, Florida and even the AWA. Most of these territories were pegged to their old guard, Dusty Rhodes, Eddie Graham, Freddie Blassie, Verne Gagne & Nick Bockwinkel and all were the stars. They were booking themselves as the heroes, and it worked, but they never effectively transitioned away from that formula, so when they went, so did a lot of the audience.

Also, as is the case with most regional markets, the WWE and globalized/national promotions took hold. If you wanted watch 'stars', you had to watch the dudes wrestling in the biggest stadiums, in-front of the biggest crowds. It became hip to follow the bigger brands, which is why Puerto Rican promotions draw empty houses and WWE is packing thousands whenever they come by.

Btw, just a nitpick, but Puerto Rican wrestling is not like lucha, at all. Puerto Rican wrestling, along with Memphis-style wrestling, really were the trailblazers for 'sports-entertainment'. Puerto Rican wrestling was known for being incredibly outlandish, and violent. Lucha libre is a totally different style, and booking philosophy.

Last edited by a moderator: