The Raw GM position

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MikeRaw

I know there's a very good reason for Vickie being the GM of Raw right now... It helps out the feud between Cena, Show, and Edge, and it also plays off of the storyline with the McMahons not being able to show up, after the whole Orton punt-storyline.
But after WM, when the Cena/Show/Edge thing is ending, and Vickie as GM of Raw isn't a major part of their storyline, I realllyyyyyyyy think raw needs a proper GM.
The last legit GM Raw had was Coach. And he did that job well IMO. Speaking of which, I miss him. But anyways, I think it makes a cooler atmosphere with a GM who is there every week, like Bischoff used to be, and gives the brand an identity to separate each brand from the other.
So, does anyone agree Raw should get a proper GM, someone who can be in there long term, after WM? And if so, who would you choose (realistically)?

LKP

I think that Vickie and edge will to raw after the draft. And smackdown will have a new gm. I'm guessing either Shane or Stephanie will have the gm role there on smackdown. Id also like to see jbl as smackdown Gm if he retires soon.

Reaction score
No more McMahons plz. No one has cared for Steph or Shane for the last five years, and Vince's pop dwindles everytime he steps out. I'd use JBL. He's about to retire, he has better mic skills than any non-wrestler in the company, and he could easily be a hard-ass GM and is multi-dimensional with his gimmick. He could use his authority to push around faces and if that didn't work he could bribe heels to do his bidding. Either way he is a way better answer than another McMahon.

Wordlife

^that all depends on if the fact that JBL retires out as a heel or a face. If he goes out as a face, wtf would the point be if he ended up being a heel GM pushing around faces? I understand it brings controversy and whatnot, but there's always been heel GMs... last face GM I can recall legitimately who got minor-major pops from the crowd was Teddy Long, and he was a shitty GM. I'd say make JBL face GM on SD.

seX-Power

I'm gonna say either JBL after retiring at Wrestlemania, Teddy Long who has been stuck in that shit role for too long and needs to move to a proper brand, or Vickie Guerrero minus the bullshit with her lovers, just as an indifferent heel GM.

CT Styles

I wouldn't like JBL as a General Manager. Someone who I'd like to eventually see as a General Manager is Matt Striker but that's somewhere a while away from now.

Currently.. Possibly William Regal; I didn't mind him as GM but if we're looking realistically, I'd say JBL. As much as I wouldn't like it, it's likely.

HHHforever

Reaction score
They already did the Regal as GM thing so I doubt we're going down that road again, although I did like him as a heel GM.

This is an interesting question and I find myself asking the same thing recently as well. I'll be curious to see when the McMahons come back officially. We saw Steph at the end of the last Raw and I'm guessing she'll be making some sort of an appearance tomorrow.

I don't really know what the lonng term answer is though. I think JBL is a good selection, but I don't know if that's a role he would be interested in.

Funny you bring up Coach, I also though he did a nice job. He's doing very good work on ESPN by the way. I've seen him on SC quite a bit recently and he's done a good job, I've enjoyed his work.

I could possibly see another battle royal/tournament type thing for the new GM like they did when Regal won. It should be interesting, but something definitely needs to be adressed following Mania. I'm thinking a transitional GM of Vince would be likely until they figure out what they want to do. I think we'll learn a lot more after the draft.

Double J

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if they added a new GM on the same night as the draft or the following show.

Am I the only one that didn't mind Adamle as GM? Not sure why but something about him just kinda stood out as an official GM, sorta reminded me of Jim Cornette in his younger days.

Now yeah his announcing sucked, but I was surprised how he did as GM.

Anyway, JBL would be good but at the sametime I have a hard time seeing him as a GM. He's played heel for so long I don't think he could be a face GM, would be more of a tweener if anything. Picking on the good guys and placing the heels in matches after they get on his nerves.

Seriously, just for kicks, I want to see Hacksaw as GM :)

Reaction score
I want a badass manipulator GM, but I cannot envisage who. JBL?

Hey! Maybe that's the "historic announcement"? :)

On a side note, I reckon Stephanie McMahon's return tonight will shake up the two main event matches. Maybe some glossy stip for the Orton vs. HHH match, and settling the dust with the Vickie/Edge/Show angle.

Something like, Stephanie believes Show and Edge will mess up the triple threat by engaging in their own stoush, and thus John Cena becomes irrelevent. She can't have that happening at Wrestlemania. Therefore, next week - Edge vs. The Big Show for the World Heavyweight Championship; the loser is removed from the Wrestlemania match.

Airfixx

^^^LOL @ Hacksaw....

Decent GMs in recent memory: Regal & Adamle

I reckon we'll get Steph as interim GM in the aftermath from WM and maybe for the next couple of weeks pre-WM too. I'm still feeling that Steph will screw HHH & The rest of the Mac's @ WM and IF this happens I can see them playing the 'Raw is in turmoil' card, Steph passing random self-serving rulings, having relative anarchy and Legacy running rampant.

MikeRaw

Man, I wish Regal was still GM. his run as GM was great, too bad it was cut short.

noumenon

Yeah, JBL comes to mind first. We know he can be absolute gold on the mic so I really don't have a doubt in my mind of whether or not he could pull off a great heel GM role on RAW.
Regal's tenure as GM was incredible, however I really don't think we would see a repeat of it.
After Mania I honestly see Steph becoming a permanent fixture on RAW, at least for a little while and getting more actively involved with the Orton/HHH feud. A few months down the road however my money would definately be on JBL to take the spot.

SnackZ

Reaction score
Some good ideas here so far - but I think the E will go old school and have Steph back running Raw w/ HHH getting drafted back to Raw and turning heel as he and his wife run the whole show (which should make all the internet HHH haters very happy, lol). I think this will lead to Shane returning and saying Steph is catering to Hunter and that the show is about all the wrestlers and not HHH and this will lead to a Team Steph vs. Team Shane at Survivor Serious with the winner getting control of Raw.

MikeRaw

^that all depends on if the fact that JBL retires out as a heel or a face. If he goes out as a face, wtf would the point be if he ended up being a heel GM pushing around faces? I understand it brings controversy and whatnot, but there's always been heel GMs... last face GM I can recall legitimately who got minor-major pops from the crowd was Teddy Long, and he was a shitty GM. I'd say make JBL face GM on SD.

Well, JBL is facing Rey at Mania, so I'm sure he'll be retiring heel (if he retires after Mania). JBL is my choice, for sure.

kingovkings

Reaction score
I like what SNACKZ said. Id love that to happen. It wont like. But Hemsley/McMahon running Raw again with Trips as heel would make me happy:) and piss off the HHHaters big time so thats always a bonus.
But i think Steph will be interim GM as from tonight until just after mania or maybe Vince after Mania fro a bit. JBL would make a good GM or even Y2J