The Official 2024 NBA Playoffs Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
What do you consider MLB tiebreaker games before the wildcards when they're needed, Grim?

RDK

All glory to God
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
Favorite Sports Team
eZIPN8K
It's two different sports are y'all really gonna have this semantics arguments lol MLB clearly recognizes wild cards as playoffs, I don't think the NBA has specified if the play in is separate or not
But it actually is clearly defined as a separate tournament lol. It's called the play-in tournament and it is to secure a playoff spot.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
At the same time you could easily say the play in tournament is part of the playoffs though lol like who cares:lol like how are they recording stats for teams and players bc everything is separated between regular season and playoffs...do we now have 3 categories?

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
I hate the new play in shit like it's more complicated then it should be

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
What do you consider MLB tiebreaker games before the wildcards when they're needed, Grim?
Yes, it's a win or go home, therefore, a playoff game.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
See I think the MLB considers them an extension of the regular season officially

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Reactions: Doom

Big Man

Reaction score
The playoffs start on Saturday settle down. These games are to settle the seeding for the last 2 spots.

Swerve

Whose House?!
Reaction score
Gaffney, SC (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
Favorite Wrestler
8zeSJYf
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
RGKCxbB
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
The Hornets shat the bed again. Oh well at least if the Pelicans beat the Clippers we get two first round picks. I just hate missing the playoffs and back to the lottery. :dcry

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I think the Timberwolves have a very solid shot of defeating the Grizzlies. Both teams matched 2-2 in the regular season.

Now as to Karl Anthony-Towns's poor performance against the Clippers, here is my take: Tyronn Lue game-planned his entire squad around minimizing KAT's impact, and before he was fouled out, it was exceedingly successful. Once KAT was gone, though, that strategy backfired because Chris Finch had to modify the script and heavily lean on Patrick Beverly's defense and Edwards & Russell's scoring abilities to succeed.

Minnesota should not have won that game, specifically because Tyronn Lue had the better game plan. Finch was simply better at somehow ad-libbing a victory from the jaws of defeat.

On paper, the Grizzlies and the Timberwolves are very similar teams in terms of talent. I do think Minnesota ends up winning in 7 games to advance to the Western Conference Semifinals for the first time in 18 years. After that, it's anyone's game.

Reactions: Swerve

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6

Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver retiring as Western Alliance executive chairman amid NBA investigation​

ESPN

Phoenix Suns majority owner Robert Sarver will be retiring as executive chairman from Western Alliance Bancorporation in June, ending a two-decade tenure with the nearly $56 billion asset company.

The company's recent announcement of Sarver's impending departure comes amid the NBA's investigation into the Suns and Sarver, which the league launched in early November 2021 after ESPN published a story detailing allegations of racism and misogyny in a sometimes hostile and toxic workplace during Sarver's 17-year tenure as majority owner. Sarver has denied allegations in ESPN's story.

Sarver has held the title of executive chairman at Western Alliance Bancorporation since 2018 and has held a seat on the company's board, which he will also vacate in June, since 2002.

"It has been an honor to serve as executive chairman of Western Alliance Bancorporation," Sarver, who also served as the company's CEO from 2002 to 2018, said in a statement. "I want to offer my sincere appreciation to our employees, whose hard work and dedication have allowed us to achieve so much during my 20 years at the company. With the company well positioned for continued success and growth, the time is right for me to begin a new chapter. I will always cherish and be grateful for the experiences I have had and the relationships I have made during my time at Western Alliance. I have the utmost confidence in the executive team and the oversight of our highly experienced and capable board moving forward."

Western Alliance Bancorporation CEO and President Kenneth Vecchione said in a statement, in part, "Robert's vision and leadership made the remarkable success of Western Alliance possible. Robert was honest, transparent, and led the company with integrity throughout his time as a colleague and as a friend to many of us."

In January, as the trade publication American Banker first reported, Vecchione told investors on an earnings call that independent directors on the company's board had hired an independent outside law firm, Munger, Toller & Olsen, to help conduct their own investigation "to evaluate Robert's continued leadership role at the company," Vecchione said on the call.

"The investigation is being directed and overseen by the independent directors and to be clear, is not the result of any allegations related to the company discovered by the Board or the NBA," Vecchione continued on the call. "In addition, Western Alliance has and will continue to assist the NBA in an ongoing investigation as requested."

On the January call, Ebrahim Poonawala, a Bank of America Securities analyst, asked Vecchione about the timeline to conclude the investigation.

"This is being handled by the independent directors and their counsel," Vecchione replied. "And I'm not really in a position to comment on the scope or duration of the investigation. Sorry."

Western Alliance Bancorporation did not address the NBA's investigation in its announcement, nor did it give a reason for Sarver's retirement.

A spokesperson for Western Alliance Bancorporation declined to comment beyond the statement about the reasons or timing of the announcement.

The Suns declined to comment.

In the announcement, Western Alliance Bancorporation added that Steve Hilton, most recently the director of its board of directors, would also be stepping down from his position in June.

Hilton is a minority Suns owner and, like Sarver, has been part of Western Alliance Bancorporation since 2002.

The company's announcement regarding Sarver came last week, one day after the NBA's board of governors meetings concluded in New York City, which league sources say that Sarver attended.

When asked about the state of the NBA's investigation following the board of governor meetings, NBA commissioner Adam Silver told reporters that it remains ongoing.

"I mean, these types of investigations do take a lot of time," Silver said. "You want to ensure that you gather all the facts, and you also want to ensure that you protect the rights of the accused. And so we want to err on the side of being very complete. So, we're certainly closer to the end than the beginning. But it's hard to put a precise timeline on it right now."

The NBA's investigation has been led by the New York-based Wachtell Lipton law firm.

The top-seeded Suns, who finished the regular season with a franchise-record and NBA-best 64-18 mark, are slated to begin their postseason run this Sunday in Phoenix against either the New Orleans Pelicans or the LA Clippers.

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
The Hawks advances to play in the First Round against the Heat, beating the Cavaliers 107-101.