The most influential men in wrestling history

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Who would you guys say are the most influential men in wrestling history?

Of course you have Vince McMahon who is professional wrestling, he has played an absolutely huge role in wrestling becoming a mainstream industry and having the popularity that it does. At the same time, I do think Eric Bischoff is one of the most influential men in wrestling history. He played such a huge role in the Monday Night Wars, sure he made quite a few mistakes but without him, I personally don't think WCW would have made it to the heights that it did.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Paul Heyman is above Bischoff imo he truly revolutionized what popular wrestling became...

as far as influential wrestlers go Ric Flair and HBK are at the top of the list...Flair was the first ever heel that was so cool people like him and then HBK took that to a whole new level and pretty much created the cool heel

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Paul Heyman is above Bischoff imo he truly revolutionized what popular wrestling became...

as far as influential wrestlers go Ric Flair and HBK are at the top of the list...Flair was the first ever heel that was so cool people like him and then HBK took that to a whole new level and pretty much created the cool heel
I always felt Macho Man was a heel that everyone loved as well in the 80's while he didn't always stay a heel he was a loveable lunatic.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I always felt Macho Man was a heel that everyone loved as well in the 80's while he didn't always stay a heel he was a loveable lunatic.

very good point as well

also Elizabeth showed that hot chicks had a place in wrestling as well

let's not forget Adam Rose...his influence has been immeasurable

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Uh, Hulk Hogan anyone? Can't even begin to mention influential people without talking about the biggest star it's ever seen.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Bruno Sammartino - carried the WWWF title for 7 years and went everywhere with it. He made wrestling cool in the 60's

Hulk Hogan - well duh

Stone Cold Steve Austin - popularized the asshole babyface and was a huge factor in the attitude era

The Rock - great as a wrestler and the first to transition into a super successful Hollywood career

The Undertaker - showed what true loyalty is

John cena - he's been wwe's biggest star for 10 years

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Jimmy Snuka is arguably one of the most influential in the sense that his leap from the cage inspired Sandman, Dreamer, Bully Ray and Mick Foley to become wrestlers. As those men have all been largely influential in their own right, I'd say Snuka is a pretty solid shout.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
After watching the sheik documentary. Iron sheik had a lot of influence as well. The word Jabroni came from him plus he started Hulkamania

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I haven't seen the doc yet but how does losing the belt to Hogan mean HE started Hulkamania? :lol:

You could definitely say he was a part of the big moment, sure, but Hulkamania is Vince/Hogan all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
As well as Hogan, you've got to say Scott Hall and Kevin Nash are hugely influential in wrestling. They are the quintessential tweeners in wrestling history, the nWo played such a huge part in the Monday Night Wars. Those two were the first two major stars to jump to WCW which really set a pattern. The fact that the Kliq sign is still huge just shows how influential they were.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Jimmy Snuka is arguably one of the most influential in the sense that his leap from the cage inspired Sandman, Dreamer, Bully Ray and Mick Foley to become wrestlers. As those men have all been largely influential in their own right, I'd say Snuka is a pretty solid shout.

Using this argument, you could easily chuck Rey Mysterio & Jeff Hardy in there. The amount of Indy guys & luchadors influenced by there styles is neverending.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I haven't seen the doc yet but how does losing the belt to Hogan mean HE started Hulkamania?

You could definitely say he was a part of the big moment, sure, but Hulkamania is Vince/Hogan all the way.

Well i didnt mean in the sense he started Hulkamania he helped to usher in Hulkamania because Backlund wouldnt wrestle Hogan for the belt because he thought he sucked and Verne Gagne offered sheik a 100k to win and take the title to him.

Austin Bates

Reaction score
As well as Hogan, you've got to say Scott Hall and Kevin Nash are hugely influential in wrestling. They are the quintessential tweeners in wrestling history, the nWo played such a huge part in the Monday Night Wars. Those two were the first two major stars to jump to WCW which really set a pattern. The fact that the Kliq sign is still huge just shows how influential they were.

Couldn't any top wrestler from WWE be plugged into Nash and Hall's spot and nWo would still be as big because of Hogan?

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Couldn't any top wrestler from WWE be plugged into Nash and Hall's spot and nWo would still be as big because of Hogan?

Nash and Hall played a huge role in the nWo too, it wasn't just Hogan. Remember that the nWo two sweet hand sign was a Kliq hand sign, without Nash and Hall that wouldn't have been used and that became an iconic gesture.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

I think it's also fair to ask whether they would have been influential if not for Bischoff doing the work behind the scenes? Sure WCW signed Hall and Nash, but it's not like they came up with the concept of the NWO. Hell, Bischoff didn't even really do that, he just lifted it from the NJPW vs. UWF feud.

Not trying to discredit Hall and Nash's contributions, but if you include them as influential SOLELY based on what happened with the NWO, you also have to include Bischoff, Hogan, Kevin Sullivan, Paul Orndorff and basically anyone else who pitched ideas to make the faction successful.

Also, just one other comment in regards to Charlie's post, wouldn't Stone Cold Steve Austin be considered the "quintessential" tweener? Actually, I'd even argue Nash while he was still with WWF as Diesel was more of a tweener than once he entered WCW in 1996.

EDIT: Just saw Charlie's response so here's one more for the road...what is it with you and hand signs dude? :lol: It's cool and all, but that hand sign is hardly something I'd call influential, just something that's stuck around for years. Is Stone Cold giving the middle finger influential? Is John Cena's facewash thing influential? I think not.