The Interconti-tv title?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Christian 2.0

Reaction score
There has been a small effort to make the IC title matter. The new dvd, (which is awesome btw), and the tournament. There are still some glaring defects though:

Even though it was a great match, why have the #1 contender match on a ppv and the title match for free? William Regal can wrestle kids...the end.

If they insist on tv title matches, why not add gimmicks. Have balls and make it a main event on occasion.

I love title matches and changes of tv. If WWE refuses to have the IC title on ppv now then make the most of the matches on tv.

SnackZ

Reaction score
I think I get what you're saying - kinda make it important the way it was back in the day not like its the ECW TV Title??

I agree - with both the WWE and WCW....I mean World Heavyweight Title both on the show it kind of makes the IC title seem less prestigious. Maybe if they actually kept the brands separate then it would make a little more sense but since every PPV has the 2 main titles defended on it and little BS feuds on it, we don't get to see great IC matches too often. Same goes with the US title - very important belt back in WCW but now its lacking in prestige and importance. Maybe we'll get some good things in the future. I'd personally like to see the IC champ and the US champ battle to unify the titles.

Airfixx

There has been a small effort to make the IC title matter. The new dvd, (which is awesome btw), and the tournament. There are still some glaring defects though:

Even though it was a great match, why have the #1 contender match on a ppv and the title match for free? William Regal can wrestle kids...the end.

If they insist on tv title matches, why not add gimmicks. Have balls and make it a main event on occasion.

I love title matches and changes of tv. If WWE refuses to have the IC title on ppv now then make the most of the matches on tv.

I've been saying that exact thing all over this forum for quite some time... If there's no room on the PPVs for the IC (and US?) title then treat it like a TV title (in all but name - So as to retain their kayfaybe importance).

Even if they just have a title shot as the ME of Raw once a month, it'll really add some significance to the mid-card matches we see on weekly TV and the rest of the time the mid-carders can be battling for contention (which would aleviate most of the need for 'Creative' to come up with storylines for the mid-card... Not that a midcard storyline is anything but a rarity in todays WWE.).

Kaedon

Reaction score
I dont know if it should main. Im sure theyd do it if the names were big enough but the WWE/WHC should be the focus of the shows.

MikeRaw

I agree. They need to decide what to do.
If they want to leave it how it is, they need to have it on many more ppv's than it is now. The guys in contention for it (Kofi, Punk, Regal, Burchill, Rey, Morrison, etc) can put on good matches, and there's no reason not to have it on a PPV.

noumenon

^lmao

Since they've gone on their mission to make it more important it seems like they've kind of forgotten about it again.
Sure, we had a little series of matches between Regal and Punk but IMO, it's more than over.
We haven't even seen a new contender arise in the past few months. Why not Kofi, Morrison, Knox, Ziggler...hell even Mysterio. The title is ignored at almost every PPV, AND at TV tapings. As said, WWE really needs to make up their minds on what they're doing with this title. Because honestly half the time I have to sit and think about who is even holding the belt.
There is no reason an IC title match can't main event RAW... if some shitty predictable mixed tag between main eventers can...why not this?

LadyHotrod

I don't think many people even cared about that Punk/Regal match, either.....It just sort of happened and then went away without making much of a dent.

Still, nothing will be worse than that stupid Diva belt was.

Chaingang23

Reaction score
I don't think many people even cared about that Punk/Regal match, either.....It just sort of happened and then went away without making much of a dent.

Agreed.

WarMachine

Reaction score
I remember back when guys like Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Christian, EDGE, Randy Orton, Eddie Guerrero, and RVD all fought for the IC belt back at that time the IC title ment something hell at that time even Triple H held it the title ment so much more just a few years ago and it's sad that it's getting lost in the scramble.

Chuck Taylor's Grenade

Exactly. They could have at least stretched it out a little bit instead of having an ok match one week, an average match the week after where punk wins the title, and a mediocre match the week after that. If they wanted to have Punk get the title in Chicago they should have timed it better to make that match the blowoff match. This had so much potential to be a great feud because Regal and Punk are both stiff bastards and above average on the mic.

Moonlight Drive

Even if it wasn't a long program, I'd prefer to see the IC title get onto PPV every now again then constant mediocre ECW Championship matches.

If they gave Punk and Regal 15/20 minutes in at least one match they could've done something pretty spectacular.

WarMachine

Reaction score
^ Agreed however WWE dosen't care about the IC title and just use it because it has such a legacy.

seX-Power

Did the Punk/Regal 'feud' even have a promo? I don't remember one, the feud itself didn't do a very good job at restoring any prestige to the IC title tbh.

RatedDCA

Reaction score
It's a shame the Intercontinental Champinoship didn't mean like it used to be. Just like the KOTR and the Tag Team Championships. It don't matter a fuck