The End of the Brand Extension?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
With the 6 on 6 tag match finally announced for Wrestlemania could we see an end to the brand extension? It's become more and more irrelevant through the years and we're at a point now it's meaningless.

Get rid of one of the Main Event titles keep the two mid cards and done. You then use some Main event talent to help the mid cards while keeping the ME title the dream for everyone. Sure you'll need to cut people but theirs a lot of dead weight already. After the sprucing more time on the shows for tag and divas.

Should this match and full control of both brands mean no draft/ brand extension?

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
It should... but there is near no chance of it ever ending. Sadly it just won't ever end.

SAL

Reaction score
Right now it exists in name only. Sure, I'd like to get rid of it to end the draft and the boring meaningless "brand vs brand" thing that nobody cares about, but not if it means the main-eventers will take up lots of time on both shows.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
You may as well say it's been ended ever since they did the whole Raw supershow idea really. They try and act every now and again that the brands matter but they really don't. Only thing that they really stay consistent in doing is not having Raw's top stars show up on SD. Point of a brand split is to give more talent more opportunity. No brand split pretty much kills that.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Point of a brand split is to give more talent more opportunity. No brand split pretty much kills that.

It doesnt have to be that way though, look at WWE from '99 to early '02, when they had both shows but no draft. They still allocated a LOT of time to getting undercard feuds over, and lest not forget this is a time when the roster was way more star-packed than it is now.

The bigger question is how inept would you have to be to fuck this up, theres much more scope for feuds and matches. We wont have to see Punk v Ziggler rematches every week on Raw.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I'd like to hear PSYCH again explain how they can't do this because they generate more money from house shows having two separate brands touring.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
The roster now is about twice as big than they were in the 90's and early 2000's. I just think given how dumb the booking and writing teams now can be not knowing how to use guys they would often play it safe too much and have Cena all over both shows for example rather than letting a up and coming possible main eventer get a shot.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Well you have a 'unification' angle to use right off the bat, so theres instantly a chance to put over a new guy.

I really think its a no-lose situation.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I don't its the brand extension thats causing any problems. I blame creative's laziness in regards to the lower-tier titles.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Well you have a 'unification' angle to use right off the bat, so theres instantly a chance to put over a new guy.

I really think its a no-lose situation.
I can agree with that but my point is given how lazy creative will be wanting to just play it safe they'd just probably miss the boat on that which is my fear of the whole thing. Would just make it easier for them to be lazier.

SAL

Reaction score
That's a legitimate concern. The number of Raw recaps they show on Smackdown that have nothing to do with the show is way too high already.

chefboyardee

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
briscoebros
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
nxt
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
its been as dead as the dodo the last 6 months or so.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I'd like to hear PSYCH again explain how they can't do this because they generate more money from house shows having two separate brands touring.

As soon as I saw the thread title this is what I was coming here to post.

WWE make a lot more money these days because of the fact that they can run two seperate house show circuits each week. They are doubling the money they get from house shows because each week rather than running 4 they can run 8. I highly doubt that WWE would want to get rid of that cash cow. You could argue that by combining the roster and by having all the top stars on every show that house show attendances will increase so that will help offset it but I don't think that it would be enough.

If they did combine the rosters then I would want them to have patience. A WWE/World title unfication bout is a huge deal and really should occur at WM29. They would need to resist pulling the trigger for an entire year but I think that the payoff would be worth it. If they did this then I would also prefer it if they unified the IC and US titles, they are at the exact same level so there is no reason to have two of them. Bring in a Crusierweight title if you want another midcard title but it has to be something below the IC title.

Titles could be; WWE, Intercontinental, Crusierweight, Tag Team, Divas. Five titles are more than enough if the rosters are combined.

Aniking

Reaction score
If the WWE cut down to one brand, they're fucked in the head.

The reason why Smackdown is nowhere near as good as Raw is because of this stupid Raw Supershow crap and constantly pushing things that happened on Raw on Smackdown. They need to book both shows the best they possibly can, not just one because it's the fucking "flagship show". I don't care that Raw has been around for longer, that shouldn't mean Smackdown should be hindered by it.

After Wrestlemania, Raw superstars need to STAY on Raw and Smackdown superstars need to STAY on Smackdown.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
If the WWE cut down to one brand, they're fucked in the head.

The reason why Smackdown is nowhere near as good as Raw is because of this stupid Raw Supershow crap and constantly pushing things that happened on Raw on Smackdown. They need to book both shows the best they possibly can, not just one because it's the fucking "flagship show". I don't care that Raw has been around for longer, that shouldn't mean Smackdown should be hindered by it.

After Wrestlemania, Raw superstars need to STAY on Raw and Smackdown superstars need to STAY on Smackdown.

110% agreed with this comment. I rather see more mid-carders on TV.