The Dresden Dose 8/9/2013

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris Dresdon

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
My fellow Smarks, it is once again that time. A big part of that has to do with the fact that I've already trash talked for the eight-man tag on Anarchy, already trash talked for the Championship Scramble, already trash talked for the Last Man Standing match, and there's nothing announced for the next edition of Smackdown for me to trash talk for yet, so right now I'm patiently waiting my turn in each of those scenarios and need to fill some time, and what better way to do that than by giving UWF the check-up it craves?

Since there was no Tuesday Night Raw this week, this edition will be a Smackdown and Anarchy review only. But before we get to that, I'd like to urge all of you to vote in the UWF Monthly Award polls if you haven't already, and rep Chase for stepping up and bringing back the concept. Also, those of you that haven't been on the podcast yet, hit him up and make some audio magic. And lastly, show your support for the return of Saturday Night's Main Event, I personally want to see what Chase can do with that. It'd be a nice bit of nostalgia for us veterans and something refreshing for the new guys who have never seen a show that we don't trash talk for.

Now, without further adieu...I'm not a doctor but I play one on the internet and this is my prescription for all of your wrestling needs, The Dresden Dose!

tdd.jpg

Now, since Smackdown is fresh in everyone's minds because it just went up, I'm going to start with my review of Anarchy. It's also because I think it's better to review the shows in chronological, or historical, order. Admittedly, this week's show got me a little hot under the collar, but more on that later. Let's dive right in to the product that isn't for the faint of heart and what stood out.

ANARCHYBANNER_zpsba0b6c83.png

1. OPENING SEGMENT

It's true that the pattern lately has been Anarchy opening with a big promo much like this, but they've been key to storyline development, so I'm okay with it as long as there's a reason for it. Much like last week built on the mass dissension amongst Russo and several of the members of the Anarchy roster, this week served in storyline development as well. Mick Foley is showing that he's comfortable in his role as the Co-General Manager, the beloved commentary team that made NXT great is now back with the addition of William Regal, the new talent that Anarchy got was officially announced, the match between Punk and Rhino was made official with an additional stipulation, and once Russo came out there were changes made to ensure that, within storyline, Vince and Sting's issues had a way to continue and, outside of storyline, the readers still had a match to read.

2. IRONMAN CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT SEMI-FINALS

It's unfortunate that, after having such a strong debut, Bully Ray was nowhere to be seen this week and as a result, the semi-finals match was disappointing. Despite this, I mention it as something that stood out because now we know who's going to be facing off in the finals and Ziggler made sure to make an appearance to hype the match in a way that only he can.

3. ROLLINS/RUSSO/FOLEY SEGMENT

Another interesting story arc we have developing here. With each week, Rollins seems to fall further and further out of favor with Vince Russo, who has given him the chance to defeat The Rock, successfully preventing him from waltzing in and getting a title shot as well as making him wish he had never shown up on Anarchy. Foley intervening continues the strained dynamic between he and Russo, and adding the stipulation that he did made the International title picture for Summerslam clearer.

4. GAUNTLET MATCH

When I wrote this up, I was worried that people might think it was an ego move. It wasn't. I've been wanting to have Russo make Sting run the gauntlet for weeks, I just needed the right reason to do it, and Reigns no-showing was that reason. I'm proud of how it turned out and a big shout-out to Chase for writing the fifth match, I was suffering from writer's block by the time I got to that one.

5. ROCK, TRISH, UMAGA PROMO AND ROCK VS. ROLLINS

Let me begin by saying that The Rock did not win the match because it makes the storylines look good. Does it further the storyline of Rollins continuing to fall out of Vince's favor. Yes. Does Rock getting the title shot further the "feud" between himself and the Modern Day Double Dragons? Yes. But that's not why he was given the title shot. He was given the title shot because he earned it. What's going on with Rollins, just read the promos and trash talks, is classic Andrew. He wants everything all at once and doesn't want to truly work for it. He leaves every session at two trash talks a piece at the most, and says things like, "I won't be back online til Saturday, so expect my TT then" and then is online on a Thursday or something.

I'm sorry, but that really and truly pisses me off that one, you would make that accusation and two, you would ignore the entire show, a show that we all worked hard on and delivered ON TIME, just to whine because you've lost a couple matches. Chase hit it on the head in his podcast with Rated R Superstar, look at every shortcoming as motivation, use it to push you to prove to everyone WHY you're the holder of that briefcase. Whether you win or you lose depends on the effort you put forth, and thus far you've put forth enough effort to win that briefcase, but not enough to do anything with it, and your attitude and approach certainly isn't justifying you holding it.

Now, I thought the promo was great because well, it's Slim in his element, and it gets you hyped for Summerslam. The People's Elbow onto the briefcase was a sick finish to the match too.

6. FANDANGO & BATE MAN VS. LAX

I thought natlav did a great job with this match from start to finish, especially with all of the post-match stuff that went down, it really does a great job of hyping you up for Summerslam as well as next week's Anarchy. And I'll say this about Bumout, if anyone was wondering why Fandango of all people won the belt, well, I don't think anyone's wondering that now. He's constantly consistent and has beaten both of the other champions since becoming the International Champion.

7. HONORABLE MENTIONS

I was hoping this time around with the Dose to be able to mention certain things and not everything, but that's exactly what I did with this Anarchy review was mention everything, so let's go ahead and mention the other stuff. I'm happy to have Jeff Hardy back in UWF, especially since there's a strong trash talker playing him like there was before. I thought the Fandango commercial was amusing, and the Tyson Kidd promo was top notch.

8. OVERALL THOUGHTS

Another strong edition of Anarchy. Again, my only complaint is I wish the semi-finals match hadn't been completely one-sided, but I know the finals will make up for it.

Now, let's get a little radioactive, shall we?

yd43.jpg

1. OPENING SEGMENT

A lot of stuff going on right here. For starters, the Championship Scramble just became a six-man match, which admittedly makes me irked, mainly because I now have to wait on two people to trash talk before I can go again, and with the likelihood of multi-man matches not having all participants spoken for, it's possible that no one will get to their second trash talk.

I thought the Daniels promo was good, I'm interested in seeing the development of this new character change, and personally I would love a shot at him, but that'll come in time. Admittedly I'm a bit bummed to see that Daniels lost, but at least it was because of his Summerslam opponent. So while it's a cheap finish, it builds hype for Summerslam, so it was effective.

2. THE FAMILIA BEATS DOWN RVD

I was admittedly a bit surprised that things played out the way they did and Ryder not only granted Eddie what he wanted but all three men beat down Van Dam and Aries was nowhere in sight. I'm surprised I was no-showed in the first place, but at least it gives me material.

3. PROMOS

All of the promos in this show were well done. I already mentioned the one Daniels cut. Batista's, Triple H's, 3MB's, Morrison's, McIntyre's, the joint promo with Kendrick and Jericho, MVP's, Reverend D-Von and Jazz and Henry's, and the Familia's, I enjoyed them all.

4. OVERALL THOUGHTS

So I know I look biased because I had a bunch written for Anarchy and not a lot written for Smackdown, but I didn't do it to be biased, there was just more on Anarchy that caught my attention this week, also it's getting late and I have to be at work early in the morning.

Well I hope you guys enjoyed this edition. Admittedly just reviewing the shows and nothing else is kind of dull to me, so I'm going to have to bring back some of the things that made it a must-read before. Anyhoo, let me know what you think/thought in your comments, and I'll see you next edition. Until then, the doctor is out!​

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I'm glad you're liking my Daniels right now. You've always been one of the few people to publicly say they liked my Daniels. I promise not to disappoint. And Daniels would love a crack at ANY of your characters.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
No problem with the helping out buddy always down to write. Honestly ts true as a former someone who won money in the bank I know what it was like to hold it. I wasn't consistent on winning every match, and sometimes I wondered if I actutally derserved it. That is why I want Chriss, and Andrew to kick it up a notch. Slim too me feels like the only one who understands what it means to be Mr.Money in the Bank. So yeah end of little rant over there awesome Dose as always buddy can't wait for the next one.

CliqueClacks

Reaction score
Top notch? I didn't like it at all tbh, but thank you nonetheless. I think this next one is far better.

Reactions: 1 person

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
I missed the Dose. Glad to see a triumph return! Great work as always Dredson.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I coulda sworn I posted here but I guess I just liked it. But duuuuuuuude... the dose is just what the Doc ordered. Now I feel good to go. WOO WOO...