The Demise Of Damien Sandow

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Honestly, what the fuck has happened to this guy? Now I was never a big fan of the guy really but could appreciate that he was a decent enough wrestler and could hold his own on the mic.

He was given the MITB Briefcase so it looked like he was in line for a run with the WHC? but obviously plans changed due to them unifying both titles and he ended up having a great match with Cena where it looked like he was still going to go places even in defeat.

I can't really remembered what he was doing after this but obviously his most recent comedy jobber run is what's fresh in everyone's mind.

Can / will the guy recover from this position he's in and actually become a player once again or do you think he's going to be stuck in this position until release. Just after typing that last sentence, it's a very Drew McIntyre like fall from grace.

Twitchy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
heathslater
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
alsnow
Favorite Wrestler
melina
I was thinking the same thing... When he first appeared as a 'comic' or whatever the hell he was doing, I was so disappointed! I feel like he could have been as successful as Bad News Barrett, because when he had the briefcase, he was causing a stir. Now, hes on a downward spiral...

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Unlike McIntyre, he is spinning shit into gold. That gets you farther than bitching about a spot, or telling the office you can run with the ball if given.

Daniel Bryan was doing that with Kane, look what happened......This comedic goof with anger problems became the face of the company for 5 minutes. Fuck sakes, the Bad News Barrett bitchfest wasn't even that long ago, and he got it over. And Vince loves him now.

He is fulfilling the role given to him, if anyone thinks this is some sort of burial, than you don't know what a burial is. He is on TV everyweek.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
While it does still seem like a fall from grace, I have to agree with Deezy here. TV time is TV time and he's getting it. If he can run with it, then the chances of him having another shot at main eventing is higher than if he just kept the same character jobbing every few weeks.

Weez

Reaction score
I've always seen him as a comedy character tbh. Granted, he's kinda went all Santino levels of bullshit lately. So his Gimmick is an epic beard guy who is smarter than everyone else and has long winded big-word promos on the way. I liked it better the first time when he was called The Genius. (LOLPoffo). Anyone remember how high he rose in the WWF? -_- That gimmick never works. Xpac Heat from the redneck south. Boring.

He's a solid hand but I didn't understand why they put the briefcase on him to begin with. I don't think he has it.

Reactions: The Cork

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Dude survived living with Kenny Bolin, wearing a leotard or a Magneto suit is nothing to this guy.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I don't know the idea with Sandow is right now either. I feel like WWE is trying to go somewhere with this like a gimmick change or a temporary angle but I can't read their minds on this one.

I feel closer to what Deezy's saying because he's still getting weekly exposure on Raw and I'm not worried for him. But I don't see anyone enjoying or asking for more of this either. I'd prefer Sandow to just be Sandow, competing and cutting promos in his character (and yes, an occasional comedy skit) while booked against opponents in mid-card feuds. Apart from his feud with Cody and MITB holder promos, have they even tried that simple approach yet?

Though if this does end up getting Damien more over than ever before like Bad News Barrett, I'll eat my words.

endicotton

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
Damien Sandow is currently OWNING the gimmick he's being given, he's on tv every RAW/SD and Main Event, I hardly see that as a fall from grace guys come onnnnnnnnnnnn

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
All comes down to what's next, if WWE dont eventually pull him out of this comedy jobber role then he'll just be stuck in it and eventually released ala McIntyre, or like Barrett he could go from jobbing to getting a reboot to jobbing with a Title.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
The funny thing is even though I see a lot of people act all upset for Sandow, I don't hear any Sandow chants that could show the office he is over :rolleyes:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I've always seen him as a comedy character tbh. Granted, he's kinda went all Santino levels of bullshit lately. So his Gimmick is an epic beard guy who is smarter than everyone else and has long winded big-word promos on the way. I liked it better the first time when he was called The Genius. (LOLPoffo). Anyone remember how high he rose in the WWF? -_- That gimmick never works. Xpac Heat from the redneck south. Boring.

He's a solid hand but I didn't understand why they put the briefcase on him to begin with. I don't think he has it.

This is the best post Ive seen in ages.

Jobber gimmicks should not be main eventers. Guy is nothing more than a steady hand, same as Ziggler and Drew McIntyre. I dont understand the IWC (yeah I went there) fad for marking for jabronies and booing the legit big stars like Cena and Batista.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
This is the best post Ive seen in ages.

Jobber gimmicks should not be main eventers. Guy is nothing more than a steady hand, same as Ziggler and Drew McIntyre. I dont understand the IWC (yeah I went there) fad for marking for jabronies and booing the legit big stars like Cena and Batista.

If that is true then the mistake WWE made was having him win MITB. That is the only issue I have with him his handly, I am for a slow build.

rawisrey

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Jinder and Drew were on raw every week losing to a bull and look at them now.

Sandow is owning the gimmick he's doing, I'm still unsure what it truly is because at first it seemed like he was disgruntled and being forced to portray these gimmicks but then it just kinda kept being gimmicks without the disgruntled part. As far as his gimmick before hand being a joke, it wasn't just the genius who said I'm smart you're dumb, the added Intellectual Savior always left room for bigger things in my eyes. I saw the intelligence playing into sneaking away with wins, the savior open to have "followers", but he was never put in any program. He beat Clay on Raw after attacking him, he lost to Sheamus on the pre-show, and lost to Cody at Summerslam and that's about it.

But Deezy as far as a burial, it's the lowering of a persons status in the eyes of the fans via losing in matches on a constant basis and participating in degrading storylines. Yes it's great that he's on T.V, it's more than you can say about a lot of other guys, and I don't think he's necessarily being buried for any reason, but being buried has nothing to do with being kept off TV that's just not being used. Bryan was a comedy thing with Kane but they were Tag Champions, Barrett didn't wrestle for months but that just meant he got over with promos and never lost. When has the Losing Streak story ever gotten anyone over. Also how do you cheer him? He's supposed to be heel, he's playing a joke character (literately, he comes out the announcers laugh, joke) I mean if you cheer for him you're cheering this gimmick so you're telling them "Yeah give us more gimmicks".

I enjoy that he's getting weekly exposure, any chance you're given to be on the show is a chance to shine and Sandow seems to be taking advantage of it cause he goes fully into his gimmick for the week and I do enjoy his portrayals ("How dare you interrupt my display of mad skillz") But I did prefer his original Intellectual Savior thing, and as of right now it really is anyones guess where he's going.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
If that is true then the mistake WWE made was having him win MITB. That is the only issue I have with him his handly, I am for a slow build.

Nah he shouldn't be 'built' at all, hes where he should be, enhancement talent.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Stare-What-GIF.gif

But Deezy as far as a burial, it's the lowering of a persons status in the eyes of the fans via losing in matches on a constant basis and participating in degrading storylines. Yes it's great that he's on T.V, it's more than you can say about a lot of other guys, and I don't think he's necessarily being buried for any reason, but being buried has nothing to do with being kept off TV that's just not being used. Bryan was a comedy thing with Kane but they were Tag Champions, Barrett didn't wrestle for months but that just meant he got over with promos and never lost. When has the Losing Streak story ever gotten anyone over. Also how do you cheer him? He's supposed to be heel, he's playing a joke character (literately, he comes out the announcers laugh, joke) I mean if you cheer for him you're cheering this gimmick so you're telling them "Yeah give us more gimmicks".
Wins and losses don't matter in weekly TV. You don't have a rankings system to make anyone pay attention to wins and losses for someone who isn't on a limited schedule or a main eventer.

Playing a goofy fuck will get him over, watch as this guy goes to some smarky city and get a pop like he was a Road Warrior, because for some reason, smarks pretend to care about guys they think the company has no faith in.