The choice to work with people or not

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PaulDB

Reaction score
In present day WWE, do wrestlers have the option to refuse to work with someone. I understand many of them can't refuse to loose, that's been well documented in various sources, but can they say I don't want to wrestle with this person?

Reactions: Vampire Quinn

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
In present day WWE, do wrestlers have the option to refuse to work with someone. I understand many of them can't refuse to loose, that's been well documented in various sources, but can they say I don't want to wrestle with this person?
Unless they are top stars, they usually don’t have the option to refuse. Even with top stars, Vince will put his foot down and make them do certain feuds even if they don’t want to.

Lackin

I'm a F'kn Mark - It's my real name.
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
zFgjY9e
Tbh I've not heard of any refusing to work with anyone for a long time. Modern day WWE and you'd be out the door or losing to R-Truth via slipping on a banana. Only time in recent history of anyone refusing to work was Roman at Mania. Which actually changed his career to become one of the fan favourites.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Tbh I've not heard of any refusing to work with anyone for a long time. Modern day WWE and you'd be out the door or losing to R-Truth via slipping on a banana. Only time in recent history of anyone refusing to work was Roman at Mania. Which actually changed his career to become one of the fan favourites.
What? What you mean Roman refused to work and became a fan favorite because of it?

Reactions: Deadmanforever97

Redboy123@

Reaction score
Riddle and Rollins but then they made up and are now cool. They didn't get in the ring together at survivor series I recall.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
What? What you mean Roman refused to work and became a fan favorite because of it?
Refused to work at mania last year. Inadvertently changed the course of history for him to return at summmerslam as a heel. Granted that was not refusal to work with anyone particular, more that he didn't want to wrestle altogether under the circumstances. Which at the time was a silly thing for him to do and it is now good that he realised that the covid 19 pandemic isn't actually that deadly at all. Never heard of a world class athlete dying because of covid

PaulDB

Reaction score
Unless they are top stars, they usually don’t have the option to refuse. Even with top stars, Vince will put his foot down and make them do certain feuds even if they don’t want to.
I see. So, does this mean most stars are denied the option to work with someone else? I thought wrestling management couldn't force competitors to wrestle opponents they didn't want to.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Refused to work at mania last year. Inadvertently changed the course of history for him to return at summmerslam as a heel. Granted that was not refusal to work with anyone particular, more that he didn't want to wrestle altogether under the circumstances. Which at the time was a silly thing for him to do and it is now good that he realised that the covid 19 pandemic isn't actually that deadly at all. Never heard of a world class athlete dying because of covid
Right, that I knew. But he didn’t refuse to work with Goldberg, rather refused to compete for months because of Covid. Just making sure.

I do agree it worked out any ways, because he came back better than ever.

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
There are some people who have refused to work...

The Rock refused to work with Shawn Michaels because of Shawn being an ass.

Doing things like taking sh*ts in his and others lunchboxes. Also making insults about The Rock mother.

With the rep Shawn has they were most likely dirty insults.

Reactions: PaulDB

Redboy123@

Reaction score
Right, that I knew. But he didn’t refuse to work with Goldberg, rather refused to compete for months because of Covid. Just making sure.

I do agree it worked out any ways, because he came back better than ever.
You asked the question bud

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
You asked the question bud
I asked if he refused to work with someone, which he didn’t, not if he refused to work a PPV or something else, period. Maybe I didn’t make that clear, but that’s what I meant.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I think some input is taken into account. So if a wrestler or wrestlers ask to work with someone, that generally means someone is good and the higher ups will get that, and likewise if it's the other way around. As far as whether you can flat out refuse, it probably depends on tenure, stature and importance.

Reactions: PaulDB

IndyWrestler1

Banned
Reaction score
Brock Lesnar could. John Cena could. Edge probably could. Someone on the level of Kevin Owens? Baron Corbin? They can probably go fuck themselves if they complain about it

PaulDB

Reaction score
I think some input is taken into account. So if a wrestler or wrestlers ask to work with someone, that generally means someone is good and the higher ups will get that, and likewise if it's the other way around. As far as whether you can flat out refuse, it probably depends on tenure, stature and importance.
This brings Bam Bam Bigelow. Back in 96, he sat out the remainder of his contract for a whole ten months. For nearly a year he didn't wrestle anyone. Why did the company allow him to let his contract expire without using him?

Reactions: Vampire Quinn

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
This brings Bam Bam Bigelow. Back in 96, he sat out the remainder of his contract for a whole ten months. For nearly a year he didn't wrestle anyone. Why did the company allow him to let his contract expire without using him?
He didn't sit it out, he was released. He also wasn't inactive for 10 months. He was used regularly throughout 1995, eft in November 1995, and was wrestling in Japan and on the indies as early as February 96.