The “True” Wrestling Fans: Cause for Divide in the Pursuit of Validation

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Great article. It kind of puts into perspective how we fans work in a way.

But I guess in the end we all have to learn to respect each other's opinions of all types of fans.

Oh wait, this is the wrestling community, so I doubt that it will ever happen...

• Haha
Reactions: Legit Boss

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Hart vs Austin rivalry and match from Manka

Like this, it's perfect. But reminds me of a quote you made before.
"Show them the Austin/Rock buildup and just say "This is why I love wrestling, but it'll never get this good again lol"

To Edge4Ever though, there's a lot of stuff we kinda take for granted. We can't rip a bunch of DQ's then not appreciate a PPV with clean finishes.
There's too much that goes into a Raw segment. Is it entertaining, is a match good (subjective), does it build for a PPV match, does it set something else up down the line for a character, does it establish one... etc.
I've been that guy way more times than I can count, and Leo once said I was bending over backwards trying to be positive. It's actually a good way to look at things...
...dare I say, how to be a "true" wrestling fan. ;)

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
The designation, whether granted or self imposed, of "true" or "real" wrestling fan is completely meaningless to anyone other than the person using it. People will completely define in their own terms what it means to be a "true" wrestling fan for one reason only: because it is a subjective measure and that is how subjective measures work.

I honestly don't think this article makes any practical point. It in fact makes the same argument it is arguing against. It is saying that internet fans cannot define what a "true" or "real" wrestling fan is but the pure fact is that they can because it's a subjective measure. But, again, that definition is meaningless to anyone other than the person describing it.

I don't think wrestling having a "fractured" fan base is actually a bad thing. The entire basis of wrestling is conflict. Wrestling needs conflict in order to exist. The wrestlers fighting is conflict. The reasons the wrestlers fight is conflict. Wrestling fans, like any other sports fans, have conflict with each other. We disagree with our friends as we watch the shows. We disagree with fans when we are at the arenas. We DEFINITELY disagree with each other when we talk about wrestling on the internet. The so called "fractured" fan base is one of the things that drives the industry.

Those arguments on YouTube, those arguments on the internet and those very arguments on WWEForums may fuel the divide of a fractured fan base, BUT they drive the lifeblood of this industry. Our disagreements about Roman Reigns make what happens with Roman Reigns more interesting. Those people who HATE John Cena fans as well as those John Cena fans who are pissed and confused as to why he is so hated... those conflicts NEED to exist. Those fans who call each other names and insult other fans and criticize whether they are "real" wrestling fans add fire to a business based completely on conflict. They are necessary for this business to thrive.

If we put aside our conflicts on the internet, including which of us are "true" or "real" fans, then wrestling's presence on the internet, and likely wrestling itself, would be pretty damn boring in my opinion.

Krendall

The Showoff
Reaction score
Anywho, smarks are utter pieces of shit. They ruin the product for virtually everyone.
You realize you kinda proved the OP right with a blanket statement like that.

Anyway, the biggest problem are the people who aggressively oppose whatever's being pushed to the top because they think they can get attention that way. I like to call them hipster nerds.