Terrible Turns

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I was recently watching WCW Nitro and I saw Alex Wright's heel turn in 1997. It really was pretty forgettable and this was before all that stuff he did with The Wall. For whatever reason Wright is teaming with Ice Train with the managerial skills of Teddy Long by their side. I mean when they walked out to the ring together they looked like the furthest thing from a team. It also doesn't help that their opponents Hugh Morrus and Konnan are a makeshift tag team themselves. On the way to the ring Wright and Train fist pump each other like champions to show they are on the same page.

However then we get into the match itself and it's a mess. At one time Morrus is pulling Ice Train over the top rope but he doesn't want to come in so after three awful looking attempts Ice Train flops over the top rope. What does this have to with Alex Wright? Nothing really as he's wasting time showing off his impressive dance skills to Teddy Long and the fans. Teddy is yelling at him to get on the apron. I'm sure it was Long's idea to throw these two together anyways. Why wouldn't it be? Alex Wright decides to FAKE an injury after only being in the match for like 15 seconds. The match continues without him as he walks away from the ring. You also get to see more awesome action between Morrus, Konnan and Ice Train! Actually what happens next is Morrus taking too long to hit a moonsault only for him to come down off the top role to hit a simple elbow drop. So Wright ends this match with himself dancing in the aisle way to show everyone how good of a seller he is.

I probably went into too much detail but I wanted to see what other people's thoughts are on horrible turns that were just badly booked and badly handled by the wrestlers involved. I know TNA likes to turn all their wrestlers like on a 6 month rotation so I'm sure there are tons of excellent examples.

Last edited:

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Like when Anderson joined immortal then lost the belt a week later then became irrelevant even more so than before.

Colin Delaney's heel turn against Tommy Dreamer.

1997 when Ahmed Johnson when he turned heel and joined The Nation, and two weeks later he was kicked out of the nation and turned face again.

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
IDK, I can't really think of any horrible ones because like you said, they're so easily forgettable and irrelevant. Jeff Hardy's month-long heel turn in '03 was pretty bad.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I always thought Owen Hart joining the Nation in 98 was pretty dumb, but some people liked it. Not to mention he wore the most ridiculous attire during that time too.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I always thought Owen Hart joining the Nation in 98 was pretty dumb, but some people liked it. Not to mention he wore the most ridiculous attire during that time too.

The turn itself was stupid and ruined all the momentum he had going for him, but they really didn't know what to do since HHH and DX were getting so over as faces, Owen couldn't be a face anymore while feuding with them. Could have done better than him joining the Nation though.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
The turn itself was stupid and ruined all the momentum he had going for him, but they really didn't know what to do since HHH and DX were getting so over as faces, Owen couldn't be a face anymore while feuding with them. Could have done better than him joining the Nation though.

Owen Hart's career started going downhill when Triple H made a deal with the devil that ultimately cost Owen his life in the end. I really need to write a book on this entire subject.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I actually thought the Blue Blazer gimmick in 99 was pretty hilarious. I enjoyed that a lot more than Nation Owen. It wasn't any different than Hogan doing the Mr. America gimmick that everyone loved, and Owen actually did it better. It just looked bad in hindsight since he died in that ridiculous costume.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
The Miz as face, 2013.
Heel Goldberg, 2000.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
[video=youtube;807xA2OiSok]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=807xA2OiSok[/video]

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Agreed about the Miz. Looked promising initially, but it has fallen flat on it's face and ass.

Randy Orton, face turn 2005/2010 (Latter not as bad as the former, but the guy is an inborn villain)

I remember Shawn Michaels turning heel a few years ago solely to feud with Hogan, which I was not a big fan of.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
That Titus O'Neil promo made me bust up. Seriously. WWE should let this guy talk more. He's so bad that he's actually good. Its a rare situation.

R-Truths turn back to face after his feud with Cena was pretty pointless. Should have stayed heel and crazy. Most of Big Shows/Kane's turns have been pretty pointless too.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
WCW brings back a lot of memories of this stuff.

Hogan's last babyface run when he brought back the yellow and red was pretty pointless, especially since he just went back to the nWo right afterwards.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I was never a fan of turning Angle heel after the InVasion storyline, he had so much momentum and then he lost it all in a month.

Eddie Guerrero in 05, I hated the storyline with Rey and his son, and it definitely looked like nobody wanted to boo Eddie at all. Just a botch all around and it doesn't have nothing to do with him being dead, that is how I felt during this time.