Taking a chance with Mania

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
When did the main event change from being at the end of the card? LMAO, the last match on the card is always presented as the most important, and generally what sells the shows. With the exception of WM24 anyway. I'd check back into reality before claiming my argument's weak if I were you.

And since now it's just about Triple H, I certainly have my doubts, and his matches before he got injured weren't exactly classics. He and Sheamus did some nice things but it was hardly main event material. Whether he's capable of doing it and proving me wrong remains to be seen. In fact, his absence has yielded 0 negative change to the Raw ratings whatsoever. I don't know how him not being a true WM main eventer is asinine, since he continually underdelivers when pushed as the no. 1 guy. His use is in comedy DX mode or feuding with younger guys. There's no evidence (to my knowledge anyway) to show he'd make a significant difference in buys, and i'm not holding my breath on a match to get people talking the next day.

Axis

Reaction score
When did the main event change from being at the end of the card? LMAO, the last match on the card is always presented as the most important, and generally what sells the shows. With the exception of WM24 anyway. I'd check back into reality before claiming my argument's weak if I were you.

And since now it's just about Triple H, I certainly have my doubts, and his matches before he got injured weren't exactly classics. He and Sheamus did some nice things but it was hardly main event material. Whether he's capable of doing it and proving me wrong remains to be seen. In fact, his absence has yielded 0 negative change to the Raw ratings whatsoever. I don't know how him not being a true WM main eventer is asinine, since he continually underdelivers when pushed as the no. 1 guy. His use is in comedy DX mode or feuding with younger guys. There's no evidence (to my knowledge anyway) to show he'd make a significant difference in buys, and i'm not holding my breath on a match to get people talking the next day.

Wrestlemania 24 is your example. Rock vs Hogan was also billed as a main event for Wrestlemania 18. They also advertised this year that with Edge winning the Royal Rumble he would be in the "main event at Wrestlemania," and there were three matches after that. But this point is moot and we're arguing over semantics here, when the rest of your post is the real problem.

You state that Triple H "doesn't have it anymore," presumably talking about big time matches, not in the undercard. In fact, you yourself state that his role should be feuding with younger guys, so I suppose we have to be talking about big time matches. My point is that Triple H had one shitty main event, and so you jump to the conclusion that he doesn't have it anymore? What, that he can't go in the ring? That he can't convey a good story? It's just such a huge jump that it doesn't take into account reality. Triple H has been out of the title scene for like thirteen months, if you count his one-off title match at Survivor Series. Before that, he hadn't had an extended title feud since Wrestlemania 25 in early 2009. Compound that with the fact that he has been completely off screen for like eight or nine months. There can't possibly be any Triple H fatigue at this point.

The complaint through the mid-2000's that Triple H was overexposed were completely legitimate, and it was a good reason to argue against him being in another Wrestlemania main event. But to conclude from one shitty match that he magically can't do it anymore reeks of Irrational Triple H Hate Complex. Again, I'm not at all the biggest fan of the guy, but I'm not going to conclude that Wrestlemania 25 marked some sort of turning point in his career that meant that he couldn't perform anymore. Especially when you look at the fact that he was as solid as he could be in the Chamber the month prior, and actually legitimately good in his program with Jeff Hardy just before to that. So, if he could go then, he magically couldn't a few months later, and a shitty match with Orton proved that? And even when he returned, he got a lot of praise for his work with Legacy that summer. I disliked all of it because fuck DX, but it worked.

Or is it that he proved that he can't go at Wrestlemania, specifically? As if working a 'Mania match is a completely different category from working a wrestling match. Oh, he can put on entertaining matches in May, August, November, and maaaaybe December, but March? Shit no. He can't work a match in March, because one match proves it so.

Or is it that he can't draw? Because, judging by 2010 buyrates, neither can anybody else in the WWE then. Good storytelling sells PPVs, which is probably why this year's TLC was the only one since Wrestlemania to supersede the prior buyrate. A big angle for Triple H to come back and make his way to Wrestlemania to win the world title is compelling storytelling. It's more than just "hey you beat me up backstage let's have a PPV match." If he comes back, wins the title at 'Mania, and then stays in the title scene all year, then maybe he wouldn't be as big of a draw the next year. But, looking at things in context, a Triple H comeback and Wrestlemania main event is good storytelling for over the next few months. So, I don't see how his current position could prove that he "doesn't have it anymore."

I had to cover all my bases, because you weren't explicitly clear in what you mean that he "doesn't have it anymore." Still though, I can't see any logical context in which you could legitimately say that Triple H vs Orton at Wrestlemania 25 in itself proved that he "doesn't have what it takes anymore."

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Yeah, you make a good point when you say he can't draw since nobody else can. (As mentioned in my original post that it truly doesn't matter who main events.) But anyway, I wasn't even attacking Trips specifically, someone listed a bunch of names of who can carry a ME WM match, and I said everyone else besides Cena and 'Taker can't. So yes, I meant just 'Mania originally, but it turned into a big thing about him specifically so bleh. Trips doesn't have it in him to ME a 'Mania and be successful from a match or drawing standpoint. It's not 2000 anymore, in more ways than one. Not only is Trips older and is basically a shell of himself after everything he's been through, but he can't tell the same stories he used to, and those angles aren't happening anymore, at least I don't think so. (NOT a shot at Trips, he'll just be handcuffed due to bad writing/PG/whatever.) Basically, I don't see him making a difference in buyrates or matches, so again, why waste a spot on him when they could put someone younger in?

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
And for the record, your point is true. Saying he doesn't have what it takes to do anything we've been talking about based off of 25 alone isn't really fair, so i'll go ahead and retract on that. My perception of him otherwise could be totally wrong, he could come back, fresh and more well received than ever and enter into a white hot feud to make the 'E a lot of money. I just don't think at this stage the stories he tells will make people care beyond his initial loud pop at that event, which is much different to close out that show than any other in wrestling period.

But I digress, and give up on it for now since you're right at the core of your argument. If he ends up main eventing and tanks again though, I think it would be time for him to take up that office spot full-time.

Beer

Reaction score
It's far too early with Del Rio, however we do need to get a move on with pushing younger stars up the card. Within the next 5 years we'll be seeing many main eventers step down leaving us with very little main event status wrestlers. We need to start getting the younger stars to a point that they will be able to take over from our Main Eventers today. However, I don't think Del Rio is the man for the job just yet. I'm talking Morrison, Punk, Miz, Sheamus, Barrett and Rhodes. In five years you could probably add on Del Rio, Dibiase and Daniel Bryan to that list.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
Right now Del Rio and Bryan >>>> Rhodes. The guy has been doing fuck all as of late. I like him alot but he is no where near the main event scene ever since he hitched up with McIntyre.

...god...

Reaction score
Actually he's being booked about exactly the same as Daniel Bryan. He's on a winning streak and he's probably more over as a heel than Del Rio, but Del Rio is just booked in the main event paired with guys like Rey. Cody comes out and gets fucktons of heat from nothing or with guys like Show.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Del Rio is booked like a guy who is to be taken seriously. Bryan is booked like a sideshow. They focus more on his ladies man persona than anything else, which makes him more a gimmick like Santino than a legit threat. Hell his last match was nothing but a way to distract Jerry lawler so he could get the shit kicked out of him. Can't say that about Del Rio.

CMS

Reaction score
Rhodes gets heat when he bashes on the crowd. Don't know how that will even translate into a feud. People will boo him because he calls Edge greasy? Meh, maybe the crowds will be that brainwashed it will happen

...god...

Reaction score
What... every single heel gets heat because they BASH THE CROWD. It's called using your character to get over. That's how it will translate into his matches and that's how it obviously does.

CMS

Reaction score
I obviously didn't explain myself. Rhodes gets big time heat when he insults the fans, basically getting cheap heat. However, when he cuts a promo on someone, he doesn't get the same amount of heat....by a long shot.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Can't honestly recall Cody cutting promo's on other guys (when did he clash with Edge?)...

Looking forward to seeing how he fares in a proper fued with a guy as high up the card as 'Show. Cody is quality!

CMS

Reaction score
Edge was a random example.

I have seen Rhodes cutting promos on Chris Masters and Big Show. I understood the lack of reaction when with Masters, but not with Show.

Axis

Reaction score
I think Cody Rhodes rules, and that's all the reason in the world needed for him to get a push.

...god...

Reaction score
DASHING Cody Rhodes is the only reason to watch Smackdown.