Takeshi Morishima Overrated?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Godfather

Reaction score
In my opinion Morishima is a pretty good wrestler, but me and my friend were watching Respect Is Earned and his comment to me was "I can't see why he's champ, he doesn't do much in the ring", which was in reference to his match versus BJ Whitmer. I thought he was pretty sluggish in that match, and didn't move around as much BJ, or for someone closer to his size Samoa Joe. The main event was much better in my opinion, but again it was a tag match, and he wasn't in the ring as much as if he was in a singles match. So I pose this question, do any of you feel Takeshi Morishima is overrated?

ncryan10

Reaction score
ive seen like 8 of morishimma matches and trust me hes not overrated and one of those was live at fighting spirit edison new jersey

Montana

I think he is a bit overrated. Dont get me wrong, he puts on very good matches, but he has his 5 moves of doom, much like cena, and the moves arent very good. He is a real hard hitting champ, which is one reason why i think he is given a lot of slack. All in all, there is certainly better wrestlers out there. But he is the dominant heel champ at the moment, (which is good)

Viva La Luke

Reaction score
I never really like Morishima at the start, but he has starte to grow on me. He has got some great agillity for he's size and has put on some great matches this year see Morishima/McGuinness.
But all in yeah he is to an extent overrated.

Soulpower

I find him overrated simply because I heard so much about him, and when I saw him he just looked like a Japanese Terry Gordy. I've gotten used to him and I enjoy his hard-hitting style, but I still he's not as great as advertised. Other than his match with Joe and the ones against Nigel, his outings have felt like prolonged squash matches.

I've heard great things about his match against Aries, but I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment on it.

Cynic Clinic

Reaction score
He can't pop the crowd, which is why he gets this whole overrated thing. I agree that you DO need to, but he has a lot of good qualities that are overlooked like his ring psychology.

Alyssa

Reaction score
The match with BJ was a flop. It was supposed to be quick and Morishima was supposed to dominate BJ, because of BJ's new character direction. (Him losing all the time and getting mad, kinda like the same thing with Jimmy Rave a while back.)

Also, I was live for the 4/28 event in Chicago and Morishima vs. Shingo was amazing and the crowd was really hot for it!

But, he doesn't get much fan reaction, I think, is because he never talks. ROH is the leader in good promos, in my opinion, and that's kinda what makes a wrestler. See Delirious as an example.

Rell

Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly say Morishima is overrated, because none of us expect him to be "great" in the ring. He's a great wrestler for his size. He has a unique style of Wrestling, which is actually very common in Japan. He isn't by any means the most talented wrestler in the world, but IMO Gabe has booked him damn near perfectly. He is portrayed to be an "Unstoppable Monster", can you imagine if a guy like Brent Albright or Claudio Castagnoli defeats him? It would advance their career's on so many levels. Basically my point is, though Morishima isn't the most talented guy around, due to great booking he is a very important part of ROH and I believe his title reign is a good thing in the long run.

Alyssa

Reaction score
He's kinda being booked a little like Joe was. So when someone beats him for the title, it will be like when Aries beat Joe.

The wrestler will have conquered the giant.

Ps. It's going to be Danielson.

I miss his title reign.

Nancy Di Loreto

Reaction score
Morishima is overrated, to a certain extent. Although he looks bland, even for a Japanese wrestler, he is an amazing wrestler for his size and has put on some great matches. Although he has fought in a few squashes, this is being used to put him over more with the fans, which is working, even if it's taking a while...