Tag Team wrestling? WWE says HellNo

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
db_kane_hug.jpg

The WWE tag team division has been on fire ever since the oddball pairing of Kane and Daniel Bryan won the titles at Night of Champions. Before they came along the division had been struggling, they had started adding more teams but no team could really break out and the random pairing of Kingston and Truth whilst entertaining didn't really take the division to great heights. With Team Friendship Team HellNo the tag team titles have suddenly become one of the most important titles on the show and the division is getting more exposure than it has in years. The two are popular champions and have won the crowd over with their backstage segments. It helps that both are big names as well as it adds more legitimacy to the division.

Now that there is a strong team holding the titles the challengers are all coming out of the woodwork:

Los Botchas - Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara have now been teaming together for about a month and WWE seem set on keeping them as a team for at least the short term. Obviously their styles work well together and they are a popular pairing.

Rhodes Scholars - The new pairing of Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow that made their intentions clear on RAW tonight by attacking the tag team champions and by naming their team. This is a very strong pairing and they would have to be the top heel team at the moment.

Prime Time Players - The only other heel team around at the moment and they have had quite a few chances already at the champions but haven't been able to get the job down. Now with all these high profile teams coming in they drop down the pecking order a bit but are still a needed addition to add depth to the division.

Epico & Primo - Have dropped off the radar a bit over the past month with the introduction of these new teams. Work well together as a team and with a bit more exposure could be a good challenger down the line.

The Usos - Stuck on NXT but I think they have plenty of potential, over as a face team and if WWE get more serious about the division then it would be good to bring them back up to Smackdown to work with the other teams.

Hunico & Camacho - Admittedly I am scraping the barrell a bit here but they are a team and the divison does need another heel team to even things up.

That makes seven teams (eight if you include Kingston and Truth although they may split now) and that is plenty to create a solid division. It gives teams that aren't in the title feud other teams to feud with to create multiple feuds in the division. With Team HellNo leading the way WWE can really promote the division again and breath some life into it.

Tag team wrestling is finally becoming relevant again in WWE and it is long overdue.

What do you think about the division? Which teams would you like to see feud? Are there any other teams that you think should be added into the equation?

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I still say it's BS that Team Friendship wasn't the name that got picked. Oh well, that's all I'll refer to them as.

Oh, and you forgot Kidd and Gabriel, they have matching ugly shirts.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
We've had four of those teams for quite some time now and not much has really happened.

I think the issue is really the lack of build for the team as a team. Thats why Team Friendship is working so well they're actually building backstory as to why it formed. Look at the great tag teams of the past the Hardy's were brothers The dudleys had the build from ECW E&C had build from the brood. I could keep going but you can see where I'm going. Thats why you get people complaining that it always feels like two singles guys put together.

Out of your list I'd only say the Prime Time Players and Epico and Primo make sense as a team while the only team that has true backstory is Team Friendship.

PTP and EP have been togther long enough it's finally just being excepted which is honestly how a few teams have done it. Helps that EP are related.

But as I said before most of these teams have been around so I'm not sure how you think anything new is happening. You've just replaced team black guys with team friendship.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I agree that Team Friendship is a much better name, that is the only bad thing from their title reign so far.

Can't believe I forgot about the Cross Atlantic Connection, I will edit them into my post. They are another team that WWE could call on if needed but at the moment they are being used more as singles jobbers. Didn't realise they had matching shirts.

Who do people think will challenge Team Friendship at HIAC?

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
I feel Rhodes Scholars will be taking on Team HellNo at HIAC.

However all this tag team makes me super happy!

I love how you put down Los Botchas! I've taken a notice that McGillicutty and Curtis have been teaming up a bit here and there. I'd also love to see The Ascension get drawn over onto RAW or SD because I think they are a great tag team.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Encore could be a potential build for a Freebirds-esque tag team, and I have personally always been a fan of these types. Could be 12 teams(totalling 25 superstars) in the division, not a bad way to re-evaluate the division. I am also noticing alot fewer Diva's matches.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
HHH had stated in an interview some while back that he's focusing on the Tag and less on the Divas.

It's good if ENCORE became a Freebird-esque team, it rarely happens in Wrestling today and it should.

Having 25 superstars when you think about it just being revolved around the Tag Division is a great move, you have mid-carders finally doing what they can. It allows everyone to get TV time.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
That was why I made the comment, it looks like Trips is following through with what he says, and I am happy as hell about it.

I just hope that we dont see half the division split into singles competitors too soon. I can see Truth & Kingston, & Rey & Cara splitting in the near future, but that would be the time to bring Ascention & The Usos out of NXT permanently. If too many teams do it too fast the division will just fall through like it did when Raw & Smackdown first became seperate brands.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
I dig the Rhodes and Scholars tag team. Wil be great for Sandow to work with someone who's been exposed to the main roster for a while, and the two will gel well..

AF.

Reaction score
Tag matches in WWE generally suck and all follow the same formula so I'm really not too thrilled about the emphasis on the division unless they shake up the formula too.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
This would have been an excellent time for the Dudleyz to return if Bully couldn't strike a deal with TNA. They could have helped get the tag division back to it's former awesomeness. But right now, WWE is doing a decent job at getting tag teams back up.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's worse Air Boom or Hell No in terms of tag team names. I'm happy tag team wrestling is back, they're too many talented guys on the roster to leave off TV while the divas have done absolutely nothing minus a few to deserve four to six minutes of in ring time.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
Love the ENCORE as a freebirds type team idea!! Can see Dibiase entering the tag division with someone like a McGillicuty, Put Ryder and Hawkins back together, bring in the Motor City Machine Guns once Sabin is healthy. They've got three hours to fill on Monday and (even though it has been getting better) There is still a lot of dead time and pointless crap that could be filled with solid tag matches

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I obviously wouldn't call them a team yet, but I did see someone mention McGillicutty and Curtis teaming on and off for a little while now, and I have to say, I've really been enjoying them two. They have some great chemistry together, and I'd like them to get a shot on the main roster soon enough.