Tag Team Division

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Sugarhill

Reaction score
Do you think they are finally going to put some real emphasis back in the Tag Team division?

I was thinking about this the other night while watching Darren Young and Titus. Last week they actually had matching trunks and gear, but unless I wasn't paying attention, I didn't hear a name for the team.

I know they were trying something with AirBoom and the Awesome Truth, but even with them, they were considered individual wrestlers teaming up. I'd rather see actual teams like in the old days and where you can almost predict when the shenanigans would occur in a match. Not to mention, it would add some variety to the show to see real teams.

Right now, it looks like the "teams" they have are just wrestling together to get a match and it's not as much fun.

Reactions: 1 person

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
They have the teams, they just aren't using them and most of them are only appearing on Superstars and NXT. Kofi/Truth could end up being good despite being kinda' thrown together. Swagger/Ziggler could still team, but I'd rather Ziggler go on his own. Primo/Epico, Usos, Titus/Young (Even though I can't stand them), Hawkins and Reks, Kidd could team with Gabriel like they wanted him to before he got hurt. Those are the current teams, they just need to build them up.

Sugarhill

Reaction score
Yeah, I see that they have the "teams," but only one of them actually has a name and a real connection. Do you think they are going to actually go whole hog and keep these pairs together and make some real entertaining feuds with them? I'm thinking that they are since they brought in another manager, of course, I can't remember his name right now.

But, maybe since I don't watch Superstars, I'm not seeing enough of the tag team matches.

I can't get into Dolph. It started with that wimpy ponytail and it's evolved to what looks like a total ripoff of Ric Flair. Maybe if he cuts the pigtail off, I'll give him a chance, but probably not.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Dolph is probably the most underrated guy in all of wrestling at the moment, he can do it all, but yeah, the managers name is Abraham Washington, or "AW" as their referring to him now. He'll at least get Epico and Primo a title match, not sure if they'll get a real push though because tag title shots mean nothing at this point, all the tag matches are so thrown together. Just look at the one this Sunday at the PPV.

Sugarhill

Reaction score
Yeah, see that's where I miss Jim Cornette and Jimmy Hart. They hyped up the tag teams and the teams just went out to be dastardly. The Rock N Roll Express vs. The Midnight Express were something to look forward to. There is no reason why they can't build up Darren and Titus up to be something like the Minnesota Wrecking Crew, especially if they place a focus on the tag team division, so you don't have to worry about them showing up Cena or Orton.

They'd be wrestling with the stars in tag team and no toes would be stepped on.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Dolph is probably the most underrated guy in all of wrestling at the moment, he can do it all, but yeah, the managers name is Abraham Washington, or "AW" as their referring to him now. He'll at least get Epico and Primo a title match, not sure if they'll get a real push though because tag title shots mean nothing at this point, all the tag matches are so thrown together. Just look at the one this Sunday at the PPV.
I'm not just referring to you, but people really need to learn the difference between underrated and underused / underappreciated. Dolph Ziggler is NOT even remotely underrated because they way he is hyped upon amongst the IWC, you'd think he was the second coming of The Rock or Austin. He may be underappreciated by management with his inconsistent booking given his talent, but he's not underrated.

As far as the tag team division coming back, I seriously doubt it at least not while Vince is running things because there were reports a long while back when Trips got his new role that he was interested in Beer Money and some other tag team I think, so maybe when he gets full control.

Isabellas2007

Reaction score
It would be great to see a tag team division! I remember the old days of the Bushwhackers, Natural Disaster, and all the other great teams! The sport has definitely lost its touch when it lost the great teams that wrestled here because the single tag can change the tide of a match.

Aniking

Reaction score
The WWE can't even book most of their titles properly. They can't book feuds outside of the two World Championships or John Cena properly. They can't book future stars properly because they think having a Supershow is a fantastic idea. They have A LOT to sort out before the tag division will become even remotely decent, and what I mean by decent are actual feuds. Two teams facing each other in a few matches over the titles IS NOT a feud.

Here's the current teams the WWE have:

- WWE Tag Team Champions, Kofi Kingston & R-Truth (Awesome Truth)
- Camacho & Hunico
- Curt Hawkins & Tyler Reks
- Darren Young & Titus O'Neil
- Dolph Ziggler & Jack Swagger
- Epico & Primo
- Jey Uso & Jimmy Uso (The Usos)
- Justin Gabriel & Tyson Kidd

When you think about it, that's a pretty disappointing list. Most of those teams have been two singles wrestlers thrown together, either for the hell of it or to give them something to do.

The only legit tag teams in that list are Camacho & Hunico, Epico & Primo and The Usos. Awesome Truth and Swaggler are top singles wrestlers thrown together (although Swaggler are together due to Vickie Guerrero), Hawkins & Reks, Young & O'Neil and Gabriel & Kidd have all been thrown together for the hell of it or to give them all something out of hope.

Frankly, when the time comes for the WWE to rebuild that division and actually give it some meaning, they need actual teams. I'd suggest the obvious choice of elevating teams from FCW, but there's an issue with that. There have been 23 different tag teams to hold the FCW Tag Team Championships, but guess how many of those teams have been seen on WWE television? Just 3 - The New Hart Foundation (DH Smith & Tyson Kidd), The Dudebusters (Caylen Croft & Trent Barreta) and The Usos. Even FCW throws together guys, gives them a reign, then that's that. Not a very good sign for the future of tag team wrestling in the WWE.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I have been hoping for years and years that WWE would finally decide to fix the tag team division and start pushing it again. Every now and then they threaten to start pushing it but then they give up and bury the division again, normally by having DX defeat all the teams.

Looking at Aniking's list they have enough teams for a division if they actually tried to push the teams. Eight teams would make for a fantastic division as there are plenty of options for teams to feud with on both brands and there would be plenty of competition for the champions. It wouldn't take that much for them to get the division going again, give the tag team division twenty minutes on RAW and Smackdown each week and within and couple of months the division will be strong again. Book the champions strong by having them win frequently rather than bury them like they did to Epico and Primo. Hopefully HHH decides to revive the division soon rather than waiting for Vince to die because that will probably never happen.

Sugarhill

Reaction score
The WWE can't even book most of their titles properly. They can't book feuds outside of the two World Championships or John Cena properly. They can't book future stars properly because they think having a Supershow is a fantastic idea. They have A LOT to sort out before the tag division will become even remotely decent, and what I mean by decent are actual feuds. Two teams facing each other in a few matches over the titles IS NOT a feud.

Here's the current teams the WWE have:

- WWE Tag Team Champions, Kofi Kingston & R-Truth (Awesome Truth)
- Camacho & Hunico
- Curt Hawkins & Tyler Reks
- Darren Young & Titus O'Neil
- Dolph Ziggler & Jack Swagger
- Epico & Primo
- Jey Uso & Jimmy Uso (The Usos)
- Justin Gabriel & Tyson Kidd

When you think about it, that's a pretty disappointing list. Most of those teams have been two singles wrestlers thrown together, either for the hell of it or to give them something to do.

The only legit tag teams in that list are Camacho & Hunico, Epico & Primo and The Usos. Awesome Truth and Swaggler are top singles wrestlers thrown together (although Swaggler are together due to Vickie Guerrero), Hawkins & Reks, Young & O'Neil and Gabriel & Kidd have all been thrown together for the hell of it or to give them all something out of hope.

Frankly, when the time comes for the WWE to rebuild that division and actually give it some meaning, they need actual teams. I'd suggest the obvious choice of elevating teams from FCW, but there's an issue with that. There have been 23 different tag teams to hold the FCW Tag Team Championships, but guess how many of those teams have been seen on WWE television? Just 3 - The New Hart Foundation (DH Smith & Tyson Kidd), The Dudebusters (Caylen Croft & Trent Barreta) and The Usos. Even FCW throws together guys, gives them a reign, then that's that. Not a very good sign for the future of tag team wrestling in the WWE.

Thanks for the breakdown of the teams.

That's exactly why they need to rebuild the tag team division because outside of R-Truth and Dolph Ziggler, not one of those wrestlers will make a major impact as a singles wrestler. They just won't.

Jack Swagger is actually how I got back into watching. I had just moved to a new city and it was going to be awhile before I could get a dish, so I was forced to just watch over the air TV. I had Smackdown in the background and he came on to do a promo. He started talking and kept talking and kept talking and kept talking.

I'm sitting there wondering what happened to wrestling on a wrestling show and also how long is this dude going to talk? As far as I can see, he has never really gotten over as a singles wrestler and Dolph will really have to wait his turn because he's not going to supersede John Cena or Randy Orton or even Daniel Bryan at this point.

So, instead of making it obvious that you are trying to find something for them to do, let them do something: rebuild the tag team division! I do believe that those two could rival historic tag teams of the past.

I like Tyler Reks in general, but he's even lower than Dolph on the totem pole. The Usos should be able to trade more off their heritage than they are now, but if there isn't much credence given to the division, then there won't be much credence given to the teams.

Unfortunately, all of the wrestlers of Latin descent either are or walk the line of stereotypes, so I'm torn about how much I want to see them. If they focus more on the wrestling than the chuckles, I'd be cool with them.

And that leaves for me, Darren and Titus. It looks like they want to establish them as a tag team, so do it right. Get them a name and let them take the lead for awhile against the other tag teams. Take the belts off of Kofi and R-Truth unless you are really going to make them a team.

Although, I'd prefer AirBoom, so I can fast forward, and the Awesome Truth, so I can actually watch and enjoy.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Now that RAW will go to three hours each week from late July I have a bit more hope that the tag team division will start to matter more. They need something to fill the extra hour each week and it won't just be WWE title storylines that fills that extra time, it may happen every now and then but not each week. Each division will need to be strong to fill the five hours of television each week and so this could be the boost that the division needed to start getting it back on track.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Something tells me they will bring in an older tag team to help out new tag teams. I would honestly love that. But who?

rawisrey

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
I miss Air Boom...I miss Bourne. I really don't care for Kofi, idk why, I don't dislike him I just stopped caring about whatever he's doing. But with Bourne I got happy and then bye bourne and Truth someone else I don't mind but don't really care about is teaming with him.

Also Justin Gabriel is great, and Tyson Kidd is up there on my list of current favorites, But I still don't see how they tag team. I just don't see any mesh it seems so off to me I don't know why like idk ummm Edge and Benoit they were a tag team for a while but I just never saw how they fit into a tag team mold. But that's just me. honestly anything to get Kidd some exposure I'll be happy with, seeing him in the final four of the Battle Royal put a smile on my face tbh.

Ziggler/Swagger is cursed. Cursed because they let swagger fall so deep between the cracks that they had to lose Ziggler with him and kept them as such. I like Swagger, I don't know why I just do and I like Ziggler but Swagger ever seen he lost the world title it seems they want him to fail. I'll admit he isn't perfect he could stand to be told "work on the leg more throughout the match, add more psychology to the match" but I think he can do pretty good. But they've thrown mascots, random father, Michael Cole, Losing streaks, everything that can possible kill anyones momentum was thrown at Swagger and now he's so far behind that Ziggler is at the same spot as him because of it and Ziggler should of gone so much farther after feuding with punk.

O'Neal/Young....I don't....I just don't care...

Hunico/Camacho, Not gonna lie I'm at the very lowest level of fandom you can be while still saying your a fan. I think one being the power one being that fast, likes to talk, show off little guy. It works out But I mean have they really been in any tag team matches except for the loss to the tag champs? they need to be built up some more in my opinion.

The Usos, not bad and I don't mind them, I'm not a fan but honestly good for them if they go up a level.

Hawkins and Reks, I like them, but more them than their tag team and by that I mean I like Hawkins and Reks but just not to the point where I wish they were tag champs on Friday.

Epic and Primo I don't mind them their good in the ring I just don't take them seriously.

Honestly the problem with the tag team division is that there is no feuds, No reason for anyone to care about any of the tag teams. Edge and Christian came out annoyed everyone and did their heel antics, people cared that the Hardys were going to do their high flying moves to try and beat them. People cared about those damn dudleys. Now If there's a new team formed that team will beat every other team in the span of a month, and become tag champs REALLY and I mean REALLY fast and do nothing until another tag team forms. Air-Boom vs. Awesome Truth got my hopes up so much because it looked like they were gonna feud, not just have one on one matches leading to the tag match actually feud but instead they took the heat of Awesome Truth up to the main event and let Air-Boom do a whole lot of nothing until Primo and epico showed up, then Primo and epico were looking good even with Hunico for like a week until they did a whole lot of nothing until Kofi and truth formed, Kofi and Truth won the titles now guess what? their doing a whole lot of nothing.

They need to stop worrying about getting New tag teams, and start trying to make the ones they have mean something, have the tag teams actually say they want the titles instead of just putting them in title matches. Maybe with A.W they might push home the feud aspect of the tag team division but for now it's just random tag matches and random tag teams with a pair of titles that'll go to whoever looks like the crowd might care about.

Reactions: 1 person

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
The problem with the tag division can be looked at like this:

1998-2000
The Hardy Boyz
The Dudley Boyz
Edge & Christian
New Age Outlaws
Headbangers
APA

2009-2012
Hart Dynasty
David Otunga & Michael McGillicutty
Chris Jericho & anyone
Kofi Kingston & anyone
Those two black guys on NXT

tjScarbi

Reaction score
After watching the Uso/Young & O'Neil match on SmackDown, I can't help but think WWE threw the belts onto 'AirTruth' in order to build up the other teams and generate some decent contenders?