Swagger...champ?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Axis

He could hold the title for a year, undefeated and then transition to say..Smackdown, where he could demand title shots and claim in his promos that he's a "year long champion" not a "transitional title holder". Also, the announcers could put him over by mentioning that whenever he'd be on screen. I understand the caliber isn't quite the same on ECW, but if he occasionally got challenges from Smackdown and Raw's roster, and beat mid carders here and there, it'd help the case.

JBL used the "10 month champion" bit for awhile, remember?

Shit..who cares? I'm sure you'll both shit all over me and tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about, so fuck it.

JBL beat Undertaker, Eddie Guerrero, Booker T, Kurt Angle, and the Big Show. It's hardly fair to compare that to Swagger's list of Matt Hardy, Ricky Ortiz, and Tommy Dreamer.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
He could hold the title for a year, undefeated and then transition to say..Smackdown, where he could demand title shots and claim in his promos that he's a "year long champion" not a "transitional title holder". Also, the announcers could put him over by mentioning that whenever he'd be on screen. I understand the caliber isn't quite the same on ECW, but if he occasionally got challenges from Smackdown and Raw's roster, and beat mid carders here and there, it'd help the case.

JBL used the "10 month champion" bit for awhile, remember?

Shit..who cares? I'm sure you'll both shit all over me and tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about, so fuck it.

I can't say that you have no idea what your talking about, it's your opinion on something that'll happen in the future. I'm not a future teller, if I was, I sure as hell wouldn't be on here. I was just wondering how you'd think that would pan out with him being on ECW. He'd have to beat a a lot more than just just mid-cards though, JBL beat guys like Angle, Taker, Eddie, etc.

noumenon

Relax guys...he was just shooting out ideas. For all we know..(and I hope) this could simply be a trial by fire (headbangs) ::cough:: and we'll see Swagger wished luck in the following months to come.

The Rated R CMStar

While I dont think that claim will get him a title program, it could get him a very important feud, as for example, he cuts a promo saying that, and he gets interrupted by a babyface who also wants a title match, and a feud starts between the two.

Swagger beats him and gets some cred, that could be capitalized on a title match.

BookerWSM

Reaction score
I don't like Swagger either. There's nothing for me to like about him. He can't really act that good. No mic skills. I don't care for his wrestling either. I'm not happy with him as champ. I hope he does not have the title for a long time.

Airfixx

Swagger's best asset is his face... It's just naturally annoying looking (to me anyway)...

Finally saw the ECW title match last night....

Fuck me, they certainly let him squash Matt didn't they! This says to me they have bigger intentions for him than merely seeing if he can sink or swim (They'd have just given him a cheap heel victory otherwise).

The Rated R CMStar

I just have to say this.

Lol, they depush MVP because they were afraid of giving him a big push in such short time and that he could leave the company a la Lashley and Lesnar, and Jack Swagger, who is more likely to leave, is indeed getting the Lesnar/Lashley treatment.

Montana

Wait just a second..... You guys don't like Jack Swagger the heel? Oh wait, then maybe, just maybe he's doing a good job. Swagger was sucessful in OVW/FCW in the little time he was there, and now its onto ECW. ECW didnt really have anyone else to put the belt on, so Swagger made sense. He's got potential, although i think it was a little early. Some wwe fans don't even know who he is.

I also do not think Swagger will go the Lesnar/Lashley route. I think its a good move to put the ECW belt on him, and see what happens. Heaven forbid the wwe push someone new.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
lol yeah.

Because guys like Edge, HHH, Undertaker, Hardy, Big Show and others would tremble at Jack Swagger...the man who spent a year wrestling Finlay and Tommy Dreamer...lol.

JBL beat Undertaker, Eddie Guerrero, Booker T, Kurt Angle, and the Big Show. It's hardly fair to compare that to Swagger's list of Matt Hardy, Ricky Ortiz, and Tommy Dreamer.

I can't say that you have no idea what your talking about, it's your opinion on something that'll happen in the future. I'm not a future teller, if I was, I sure as hell wouldn't be on here. I was just wondering how you'd think that would pan out with him being on ECW. He'd have to beat a a lot more than just just mid-cards though, JBL beat guys like Angle, Taker, Eddie, etc.

You're all forgetting there is precedent for his line of thinking.

How long did Goldberg spend squashing jobbers for? Even when he was Champ he still squashed mid-card guys with the occasional PPV/Nitro match against a top name.

Now, I'm not making comparisons between this guy and Goldberg. The point is, it's all about perception. Even squashing relative jobbers in an effective manner can get you over and make you out to be a huge threat.

Remember your history gentlemen before you dismiss something as ridiculous.

noumenon

He's no Goldberg or Lesnar...that's for damn sure.

The whole thing I was trying to say is that I don't dislike him as in a heel sense. If he were an amazing heel I would probably love him, since I always gravitate towards the heels. I hate him in the every time I see his fuckin face I change the channel sense. He looks like a big ridiculous ape..I dunno....I get angry just thinking about him..lol.

I suppose maybe the guy does have some potential down the line, I'm not denying it. But letting a rookie like that squash Matt out of his ECW title...that's the mistake. It was so casual too, they didn't even do it at a PPV.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
The whole thing I was trying to say is that I don't dislike him as in a heel sense. If he were an amazing heel I would probably love him, since I always gravitate towards the heels. I hate him in the every time I see his fuckin face I change the channel sense. He looks like a big ridiculous ape..I dunno....I get angry just thinking about him..lol.

It's kinda funny. I personally disagree with your assessment of him, but at the same time I feel the exact same way about Randy Orton. So I can see where you're coming from.

I suppose maybe the guy does have some potential down the line, I'm not denying it. But letting a rookie like that squash Matt out of his ECW title...that's the mistake. It was so casual too, they didn't even do it at a PPV.

I only saw the clip on WWE.com, but the end featured Matt hitting the exposed turnbuckle (In front of the ref no less. Still not sure if it was No-DQ or not, or who even removed the turnbuckle pad if otherwise, though common sense dictates Swagger did. ANYWAY) then walking into his gutwrench powerbomb.

Now this, aside from the ending, is Matt hardy's story in the ring as a solo performer. He always gets his ass kicked through out the entire match and then barely ekes it out with an quick Twist of Fate. The only difference here was Swagger managed to catch a lucky break with the turnbuckle.

I guess that's the other thing I don't really understand about any of the dissention regarding the match. Hardy always gets beat up in the ring, the only reason it doesn't look like he's being squashed is because he usually gets the clean win.

noumenon

^Agreed... I know what you're saying. I just think that the hand off could have been done with a little more "class". Here is a title that has been so sorely suffering since CM Punk dropped it. If Swagger and Hardy had been feuding for quite some time...after a series of back and forth matches Hardy had dropped the title..that would have been pretty decent. But I feel like this guy JUST debuted..won a few matches...and won the title.
I feel like this whole thing is simply to get the title off of Matt so he's free to work on Smackdown with this Edge/Christian angle that's upcoming.

Kaedon

Reaction score
I think it was a huge slap in the face of Matt Hardy. A guy who has been more than loyal to the company and put over a one legged freak show gets THIS? And while SOME PEOPLE can wrestle jobbers or lower card wrestlers and earn respect from fans, Swagger isnt one of them.

Wordlife

Swagger Champ = Best thing WWE has done for ECW yet... ever.... since ECW went to Sci-Fi or whatnot...

Swagger has skills, watch and see, he will bring ratings, yes I said that, ratings, to ECW, watch and see.... mark my word

Axis

Swagger Champ = Best thing WWE has done for ECW yet... ever.... since ECW went to Sci-Fi or whatnot...

Swagger has skills, watch and see, he will bring ratings, yes I said that, ratings, to ECW, watch and see.... mark my word

I call bullshit. I don't think anything will ever touch the Big Show title reign. Show vs RVD has thus far been the best angle on ECW, and if the WWE continues to half ass their effort in building up ECW, it will remain as such.