Summer of Punk 2014?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
When were these several times? He didn't leave for a divorce. He didn't leave for an Achilles strain. He barely left with a broken neck. He once worked 78 straight days. He's never just taken time off like punk took time off after mania.

There was the time he asked for a vacation and that literally was a week off
Cena tried to get time off for the elbow. He tried to get time off when his brother was having issues. He was apparently trying to take a little longer off with this recent break for the elbow surgery and was asked back sooner.

Again, I said he's loyal. He'll fight to get back soon because he loves this. He works his ass off to get back as fast as possible. He might not take the breaks everyone else does, on his own accord, because he is committed to the tremendous work he does. All I'm stating is that there have been times when Cena has requested time off and was not given the opportunity. A big deal isn't made about it, however, because of the things you point out... he is accountable for the company always and he goes out and does the company thing at all times. He's the consummate professional. Punk, however, complains that he is beat up and needs a break and suddenly he's looking to retire and it's because he's displeased with everything? How about Punk is just trying to avoid ending up like Hogan, Roberts, Foley, Flair, Undertaker, Eddie or Edge? And while I'm not suggesting any of those guys abuse painkillers... Punk pretty obviously does not, and that could be a real contributor to his demeanor in getting fed up with travelling and performing a ridiculous schedule. Not all guys are wired like Cena, and it is not fair to hold them to the same standard as Cena, especially when there ARE TIMES when Cena has requested a break or expected to be gone and the E kept him around for longer than they should have.

Last edited:

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Okay that's fair

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Whle I agree with everything you stated Flywalker, I just openly wonder why the company or the EVIL Vince McMahon would try cut short the career of the guy carrying their company and say "you gotta work". One would think lessons would've been learned from Austin and his phenomal yet meager 3 years as poster boy and wanting to milk that shit dry as long as possible,

Oh and Psych forgot to mention the fact that he still has 2 herniated discs in his lower back but he learned from Dreamer how to not bump directly on them.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Oh and Psych forgot to mention the fact that he still has 2 herniated discs in his lower back but he learned from Dreamer how to not bump directly on them.
So that would explain why he looks like he's almost partially sat up when taking bumps I assume then. Always looked poor to me the way he took it like that but it makes sense now.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Feel like Punk could be best used as a guy to try and get mid-carders over and up to the main event at this point. Guy can be good on the mic and in the ring, but not a big huge draw or anything, even if he has been one of the top dudes for a while now. So instead of giving him things like The Rock matches, Taker at Mania, Lesnar at Summerslam (which reminds me, fuck all y'all and Punk himself if you/he thinks he doesn't get mad love from management), its time to use him to elevate some new talent maybe? When was the last time he didn't come out of a feud with someone looking like the better man (barring all those "legend" matches)? Dude doesn't need a match with Batista. Give that junk to Sheamus, Reigns, idk, whoever else. Let Punk lose to some guys - he's done enough stuff for it to matter as much as it can with the current product. Feel like he should be samesies as Del Rio. And if he's too grumpy to be down with that, then whatever, not a guy they need to have around anyway.

I'm no Punk fan so its probably no surprise when I say I agree with this. Punk and his IWC mark attitude and his cult like fanbase may think he's been jobbed out for the past 9 years but he's been given alot. Star on ECW right from his debut, Multiple world Title reigns, held the strap for over a year, was given 2 stables to lead, went over Cena clean, Mania match with Taker, got to work matches with Hollywood star Rock and UFC Champion Lesnar 9/10 he wins whatever feud he's in thesedays, chosen to do the sit down promo (JTG could have done that promo and gotten over) yet all he does is complain. Him putting over some up and comers wouldn't be a bad thing, he's not the huge draw people want him to be, but he is still a big established name who can make a guy look good with a win over him.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Whle I agree with everything you stated Flywalker, I just openly wonder why the company or the EVIL Vince McMahon would try cut short the career of the guy carrying their company and say "you gotta work". One would think lessons would've been learned from Austin and his phenomal yet meager 3 years as poster boy and wanting to milk that shit dry as long as possible.
$$$$$

By that same regard, Cena coming back (EVERYONE CAN AGREE ON THIS) early from this recent surgery is all blamed on the E regardless. Yeah, Cena can try to force his way back, but the E can tell him no. Vince wants money, and ratings... and ratings = money... so Vince wants money. Cena is the only guy drawing money. It's no coincidence he always seems to come back right after they release ratings for when he's away and the numbers fall.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Doubles edged sword, Cena doesn't like being away from the ring. It's like the Kobe of wrestling, he admittedly drives himself insane away and wrecks his body to get back. He's that insane 1% at his craft who lives his sport... Fortune and fame follow yes, but he could sit on his ass and still collect the top salary there is, yet it doesn't compute in the head

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Doubles edged sword, Cena doesn't like being away from the ring. It's like the Kobe of wrestling, he admittedly drives himself insane away and wrecks his body to get back. He's that insane 1% at his craft who lives his sport... Fortune and fame follow yes, but he could sit on his ass and still collect the top salary there is, yet it doesn't compute in the head
Agreed, and that's why I said he tries to force his way back. But Vince CAN do the right thing and tell Cena, "I appreciate your determination to get back to what you love, but I need you for the long haul. I don't want you to end up worse than Edge." Granted, Cena's injuries may be less debilitating or severe than most others because he is without a doubt a gifted freak of nature, and that work ethic he has contributes to his ability to rehab the way modern science should be pushing athletes to rehab. My point is though, that Vince is not willing to do business for an extended period of time without Cena, because he's terrified by the fact he doesn't (his own fault, btw) have anyone to fill Cena's sneakers when he's out.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
McMahon told Foley in his peak year 99 that he had his last match after Foley told him he was having difficulty remembering things, at a time when Hunter was still nothing and Austin was out for a year. Cena is the one coming back.

Also not Vince's fault he can't find anyone who can get mainstream buzz like Cena can.....Goes on the b-list performers who bomb on Kimmel and Fallon when given the chance.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
McMahon told Foley in his peak year 99 that he had his last match after Foley told him he was having difficulty remembering things, at a time when Hunter was still nothing and Austin was out for a year. Cena is the one coming back.

Also not Vince's fault he can't find anyone who can get mainstream buzz like Cena can.....Goes on the b-list performers who bomb on Kimmel and Fallon when given the chance.

Its not?

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
That's a silly question....Ofcourse it's not.

He provides the platform, it's up to the performer to breakout.

If there was this mystical recipe he knows on how to make stars, he would be giving that shit out to everyone.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
But you could say that certain creative directions (which of course he still oversees) and the direction of the company, plays apart in certain people not getting over, or not getting over as much as they could. Anyone else have a view on this?

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
You can put anyone in the spotlight, say they are the next big thing, put millions of dollars behind them, it won't make them a star.

Example:

That guy who played John Carter, had 3 major blockbusters, was put on every imaginable medium possible and he didn't get over. I can't even remember his name.

You pick some guy from Austrailia, put him in a suit of armor and give him a hammer and he becomes Thor and a big deal.

What's the diffrence? Nothing, same type of hype. Same amount of publicity budgeted for them, but one guy was a star and the other wasn't.

Much like Cena, some random kid in blue boots and trunks and a buzzcut got over, while some guy named Sean O'Haire was supposed to be this big star in the making.

They don't mass produce stars in any medium. There isn't a formula for making stars. You either get over or you don't.

Not creative, or Vince McMahons fault they put their faith in guys who can't connect with a mainstream audience.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
You can put anyone in the spotlight, say they are the next big thing, put millions of dollars behind them, it won't make them a star.

Example:

That guy who played John Carter, had 3 major blockbusters, was put on every imaginable medium possible and he didn't get over. I can't even remember his name.

You pick some guy from Austrailia, put him in a suit of armor and give him a hammer and he becomes Thor and a big deal.

What's the diffrence? Nothing, same type of hype. Same amount of publicity budgeted for them, but one guy was a star and the other wasn't.

Much like Cena, some random kid in blue boots and trunks and a buzzcut got over, while some guy named Sean O'Haire was supposed to be this big star in the making.

They don't mass produce stars in any medium. There isn't a formula for making stars. You either get over or you don't.

Not creative, or Vince McMahons fault they put their faith in guys who can't connect with a mainstream audience.

Taylor Kitsch, He was only known from Friday Night Lights had a bit part as gambit in Wolverine he has since done Savages and Lone Survivor.

You are correct, your example was not.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I'm going to bitch about Punk ... Let me let you guy in on a secret.

CM Punk bitched, but dat bitching dried the fuck up. It dried up when he made money off facing Brock. It dried up when he went into the Summer of Punk making money off Cena and then signed on to deal with Nash, and Hunter. It dried up when dealing with Rock, especially Rock, he went from a shit talking fucker to hugging on him like a buddy for them paychecks. It would dry the fuck up if he could get Austin, Sting, Goldberg, Michaels, Hogan, or Vince in a ring with him. It was nowhere to be seen when he got one of the biggest checks on the card for the Streak Match with Taker.

Yeah its cool he bitches and fights for the little guy, but let's be real here he shuts the fuck up and doesn't go around in the back making noise
r4mH5hF.gif
and saying give me Dolph, Del rio, Swagger, Christian, and the like when there's money to be made.

In fact when there's not money to be made his work rate greatly decreases. He puts far more effort into battling part timers, making money, and not being sloppy or politically incorrect when he's set to feud with a part time actual SUPERSTAR DRAW. No one here can claim Punk brings it or doesn't half ass with the little fucks and sloppy moves and strikes he gives in his matches with Rollins, Ambrose, Reigns, or Ryback compared to when he's facing a guy that can make him money like Cena, Brock, or Taker which people hype up to inflate his work rate, when truth is they are match of the year because the other guy is fucking great on their own.

Case and point, not a fucking word to be said about Batista out his mouth even with the C star crack at the full timers of this era and Dave's open distaste at punk/Bryan types. Do you know why? He knows he is a top guy and is set to make money off Dave that Punk alone as the lead attraction with a lesser guy can't draw. He wants to be in that fucking line to leech off Dave and work a program with him just as much as he has wanted that big pay day that comes at the expense of the lesser pecking order ever since his deal was coming up years ago

Don't let him blow smoke up your ass with the veiled pipe bombs

Last edited: