Summarize and Rate the Last Movie You Saw

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Bleeder

I recently watched Refn's newer film, Drive, and I decided to watch some of his older films, as he seems to have a large collection of works, and this definitely was more confusing viewing, not only because it was in a different language, but the movie in itself is just less accessible to the layman overall, to the point that I'm not able to make an informed decision as to what rating I can assign to it. I definitely got a Clerks vibe while watching it though, I don't know whether it's due to the working class characters having eventful lives, but I definitely was reminded of Clerks more than once while watching this film....but rest assured, there is nothing funny about this movie, it deals with a dark subject matter and it is definitely not pretty. I'd give it a tentative B....but this opinion might change over multiple viewings.

A+

Well, this doesn't really have much in common with the old one besides the title and the location of the apocalypse....it's silly that they are calling it a remake, they are different, completely...characters, even the ending is different...Synder's decision to make the zombies fast moving and quick has fundamentally changed the mood of the movie all together, I remember reading this was something Romero was dead opposed to, I can understand why, the movie is more like "Synder's" Dawn of the Dead. There's no element of suspense etc, die hard fans of the older ones with a closed mindset will definitely be disappointed.

Ratings for Romero's version were mixed?

The new Dawn was mixed I believe, with some stating moderate praise, and others condemning it, probably die hard fans of Romero, it's not really a fair comparison imo, Romero managed to influence a generation and people will feel the compulsion to reflexively choose him, Snyder has to live up to a legacy that cannot be eclipsed just like that, while modern fans would find the old Dawn antiquated...(doesn't mean it has lost it's charm) Romero was using a shoestring budget, Snyder was not...I'm not saying Snyder's version is superior by any means, but it's a comparison that is not quite justified, nor is it needed....I don't see why this version cannot co-exist with the older one, let's just call this Zack Snyder's "Dawn of the Dead" to avoid confusion.

Bit harsh. Don't they air Jersey Shore? :p And as you've probably heard, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. As I said, I cannot really compare the two in any real way...they are different films. But obviously, Romero's version will be the one on the greatest films list, no arguments about that one. All said and done Snyder did a respectable job imo, I know I might catch a lot of heat for that but it's just how I feel.

Why does it being in a different language make any difference? A good film is a good film. I really like Bleeder and there is a Wild at Heart ref too double bonus!

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The Verdict (1982) 7.5/10
Sidney Lumet legal thriller starring Paul Newman as a washed up lawyer who takes on the case of parents whose daughter is in the coma as a result it would seem of some error by the hosptial treating her. Despite being offered a massive payoff the Newman character is detinemened to win the case no matter how much of a up hill task it may seem. This proves much more than the run of the mill over coming the odds story, but an in-depth look at the seedy workings of the legal professional what adds to the story is that the lead character doesn't always play by the book himself. There are some nice twists too for example his realtionship with a girl he meets in a bar which at first just
seems like a regular affair but turns out to be much more. The acting is good epsically from Newman and James Mason however certain scenes are a little too malodramtic and at times the look of the film failed to capture my eye, but all in a good watch.

The Thin Red Line (1998) 8/10
Will have to return to this at some point as it was on late last night and didn't catch it all, but seemed a very compelling and tragic look at the needless violence of war and the unstable mindset of many men involved in it. There are a number of very good performances including from Woody Harrelson, Nick Nolte and John Cusack. The filming of the battle scenes and flesh backs are more beautiful, yet scary than in about 90% of war movies.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
If it's in English I don't have to follow the subtitles but if it's another language I have to keep following the subtitles and sometimes I miss them..I have to watch it two or three times for the same impact, it's more of an annoyance, to be honest. I hate that feeling of "wait I missed something, I have to rewind.."

AF.

Reaction score
The Campaign (2012)

Lucky for me I didn't have to pay to see this, it wasn't very good. Ferrel was his usual good, but Galifanakis was pretty off in this one. He wasn't really funny like usual. He was trying to play a character who was religious, kind hearted and the movie attempted to change him along the way into a character more like Ferrel but it just didn't work. I was confused by how they were going along with these 2 characters. As Galifanakis gets more evil, Ferrel gets good, but then it all gets swapped again so Ferrel is the bad guy and Gali is the good guy. Like I said earlier, it didn't really work. The movie wasn't really funny. There were a couple chuckle moments, but other than that, the movie was ridiculously slow paced for a comedy movie. I'm kinda glad we didn't see Zach's normal shtick of being a dumb, yet hilarious idiot, but his character in this one didn't really connect with me at all.

5/10

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Cosmopolis (2012) 3/10
It is becoming hard being a David Cronenberg right now this is his second poor movie in a matter of months and surely his worst ever. Casting Patterison as the cold celebrity ducking his responisbility doesn't pay off as he is far too limited and it seems self-aware, it is a slightly too twichy performances, but the film has greater problems than that. On paper it looked a good idea, but it is far too wordy, drawn out and hardly engages visually. Also the communtary on the gloomy finaically climate is unconvincing. The hightlights are when Samantha Morton and Paul Giammtti are on screen.

Pete

Reaction score
Dark Knight Rises 4.5/5 (8.5/10) - VERY MILD SPOILERS
Christopher Nolan perfectly wraps up his perfect Bat-Trilogy with what may well be the best movie of the three - and, by association, the best Batman film to date. One gets the feeling that Rises will be VERY hard to beat as Movie of the Year - even in a year that has already given us Brave and Avengers Assemble.

In terms of its place within the Nolan trilogy, Dark Knight Rises is the action third of the equation. Where Begins was all about character development and The Dark Knight perfectly balanced both elements, this one has more focus on set-pieces and moves at a much quicker pace. Despite still leaving some space for character development (especially of the new characters), this third installment assumes the viewer is already familiar with the characters and their quirks, and sets about telling its story right from the off. The biggest surprise is that it does not come off any worse for it.

In fact, aside from a minor continuity error towards the end (the equivalent of a wrestler no-selling an injured body part), everything about this third installment is spot-on, from the performances (ALL of them) to the way Nolan handles multiple villains and a large cast while still maintaining a cohesive, easy to follow and logical story (take notes, Spider-Man 3!). Most important, this is a movie that works even WITHOUT its titular character on-screen - and it is a testament to Nolan's film-making abilities that he can craft a Batman movie with about 15 minutes of costumed Batman and get away with it. In effect, more than a superhero romp, this is a story about a city coming together under duress - an angle which may irk more youthful viewers, but will resonate with more mature, intellectual audiences. There is still plenty of whizz-bang-pow action (with two major setpieces, and the introduction of two new vehicles which, for a moment, make Rises look like a toy-driven moviemercial straight from the 1980s) but most of the movie's plot is driven forward by ancillary, non-costumed characters, in particular Joseph Gordon-Levitt's rookie policeman (and later Detective). Of course, whenever Batman's on screen, the cool factor rises about 200%; but the fact that the large chunks in between keep the viewer riveted is this movie's greatest strenght.

Performance-wise, the cast here is absolutely stellar. Catwoman has her dignity restored with a powerhouse performance by Anne Hathaway (this movie's Heath Ledger, who one hopes will meet with a less tragic end), but the real surprise here is Gordon-Levitt, an actor who was previously associated with goofy comedy, but who really gets to flex his acting chops on this one. Elsewhere, Christian Bale is fittingly sullen and sombre, and Michael Caine will no doubt make grown men cry with his heart-wrenching turn as Alfred. Marion Cotillard, as the vaguely ethnic, vaguely accented (but with a perfectly Anglo-Saxon name) Miranda Tate, is pleasantly layered (making the impeccable twist at the end that much better), while Tom Hardy, as Bane, has little to do apart from looking menacing and sounding like Darth Vader. Every other performance is also very strong (even from the child actors!), making this one of the finest ensemble casts in recent memory.

But while this is a very, very strong movie, it, of course, is not perfect. Aside from the irksome detail mentioned above, one must still note how ridiculous Bale's Batman voice sounds - even if, this time, the human perspective of the movie sheds some light into it. One gets the feeling that, if there was to be a costumed vigilante trying to hide his Joe-Schmoe identity, that would be exactly the type of over-the-top voice he would go for. However, this is ruined by the fact that Bruce Wayne is not a Joe Schmoe, and has above-average intellect and intelligence - meaning he could certainly have picked a much better voice.

However, none of these (very minor) nitpicks detract from what is one of the best superhero movies - scratch that, one of the best MOVIES - in recent decades. Where Avengers Assemble was a big, loud geekgasm, this is the equivalent of a romantic night with a steady girlfriend: less exciting, less showy, somewhat quieter, but also much deeper and more involved - and, in consequence, much more satisfying. If not for the (unfortunately still prevalent) comic-book/silly/cheesy/dorky stigma, this would be appreciated alongside sinilar gems such as The King's Speech. As it is, it will remain an amazing movie damned to being worshipped only by a certain (albeit large) niche. At least until it swoops the Oscars, the same way a 'geek movie' about little people with rings did over a decade ago...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nacho Libre 2/5 (4/10)
After an auspicious debut with the charmingly goofy Napoleon Dynamite, director Jared Hess fails to live up to his promise with this follow-up - mostly as a result of a totally misguided approach. All the pieces were in place for an interesting movie - potentially strong characters with believable motivations, a charmingly goofy story and a subdued Jack Black, which is always the best kind of Jack Black - but somehow Hess completely fumbled the execution of the puzzle. Rather than explore his character's nuances and quirks - as he did on Napoleon - he chooses to derive his 'humour' from entirely predictable (and not at all funny) sources. Look, they all speak with Spanish accents! And Nacho is fat, but he wants to be a wrestler! And wrestling is fake! Isn't it hilarious?!

Well, no, Mr. Hess, it isn't. Everyone knows wrestling is "fake", and everyone also knows plenty of fat men make it big in the business - one need look no further than the Big Show, Andre The Giant or Big Van Vader for proof. And ethnic accents, in and of themselves, are not funny. What's worse, the tone of the movie is wildly inconsistent, one moment going for Napoleon-esque humour, the next revelling in sub-Eddie Murphy fart jokes and pratfalls, and missing both targets. The treatment of the characters is equally wavering, with Hess apparently not able to decide whether Nacho and Esqueleto should be portrayed as out-and-out comedy jobbers (hint: that WOULD have worked) or honest shmucks who are simply not very good (hint: that would ALSO have worked, provided they were shown to get better, which never happens). Instead, he settles for having them get beat up by midgets and parade around in form-fitting 1970s style pants (leading to sights which cannot be unseen) before pulling a happy ending out of that cavity he seems, at times, so obsessed with. The uniting thread throughout is the absence of laughs, making this just another dull, forgettable gross-out comedy. Hess's style is evident throughout the movie, as is the potential to make something much better, but somehow it never gels. A shame.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Machine Gun Preacher 1.5/5 (3/10)
Exceedingly poor attempt at an 'inspirational' biopic, which goes out of its way to attempt to portray a revoltingly unsympathetic man as a good person, and fails miserably. Sure, the real Sam Childers built an orphanage for children in Uganda, and has been fighting child-enlisting militias there for years; however, just from seeing this movie, one does not get the sense that he has, in any way, changed. Oh, to be sure, now his tantrums are directed at small business owners and government officials (rather than his long-suffering wife), but that does not make them any less childish and unlikeable. Sam still shuts out people who do not deserve his acrimony for the pettiest of reasons - something human beings are taught not to do at around the age of seven. To make matters worse, the movie is lathered in Bible-thumping Christian ideology, going as far as to imply that Childers would not have "changed" if not for the POWER OF JESUS! (Which may have been true, but is hammered over audience's heads in disturbingly cultish fashion here.) Some of the scenes with the African children do click, and the cinematography is superb, but unless you are in the mood for less than subtle Christian propaganda with an incredibly unlikeable protagonist, you should skip this one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hidalgo 3.5/5 (7.5/10)
Refreshing throwback to the Golden Age of cinema, which reminds the viewer of what "The Movies" used to be all about. Basically Indiana Jones meets Lawrence of Arabia by way of Australia and an Errol Flynn epic, Hidalgo purports to tell the true story of Frank T. Hopkins, a long-distance rider who managed to outlast hundreds of locals in an endurance race across the desert sands of Arabia. However, it is clear to anyone who has even seen a movie that gigantic narrative liberties were taken, making this more of an escapist epic than an accurate biopic.

As noted, the entire feel of the movie is that of an epic from the 1940s, complete with cheesy sets, dastardly villains, exotic locations, poshly-accented ladies, the Sheik's rebellious daughter and, of course, a square-jawed, larger-than-life hero (played with abandon by Viggo Mortensen, in a role which might have been Errol Flynn's). The result is a rollicking cinematic romp the likes of which have not been seen since Harrison Ford dodged a giant rock, over twenty years ago. There is not much by way of character development here, nor should there be - this is an entirely escapist experience. Hidalgo does not aim to make its audience dwell on the metaphysical complexities of life; instead, it offers them a chance to forget their worries while watching a rugged, pure-hearted hero perform heroic deeds - just like those epics in the 1940s would. And in that aspect, it succeeds, making for a perfect two hours of fast-paced, light-hearted fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Little Shop of Horrors 3.5/5 (7.5/10)
This 1986 remake of the 1960 Roger Corman movie (and of the stage musical) thrives on the fact that it is never anything but a knowingly cheesy B-movie spoof (right down to an incredibly, purposefully wooden cameo by Christopher Guest). Mixing Burtonesque, artificially Technicolor sets with low-budget effects and catchy Alan Menken doo-wop numbers, director Frank Oz (he of Yoda and Muppets fame) crafts a breezy, pleasant, and oftentimes hilarious experience (Steve Martin steals the show as the cinematic mixture of Honky Tonk Man and Isaac Yankem, DDS, while Bill Murray makes for a worthy substitute to Jack Nicholson as a masochistic patient). Even normally annoying actors such as Martin or Rick Moranis are kept in check here, making for a breezy, entertaining viewing experience, which seldom drags and may well provide a few laughs. See it for the cult factor, or with friends over a few beers.

Last edited:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The Hunter (2012) 7.5/10
Intriuging drama with Williem Defoe as a hired Hunter sent out to the Australian jungle to hunt down a rare breed his cover is as a scentist doing research, however he upsets the locals along the way and things get complicated further when he becomes attached to the family he is staying with. The photograghy is powerful, the tension slowly built up, the story is a nice mix of gentle comedy, brooding thriller and fish out of water drama. The ending is deeply effecting.

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (Valerie a Tyden Divu) (1970) 7/10
An odd Czech cult film from 1970 most of which is spent in dream mould as a teenage girl going through a cricial stage of adolescence is stuck in a strange dream world where she encounters a number of creepy characters as well as people who may or may not be family members, but of course with it being a dream many of them may not be real. Bits of this felt very dated, bits felt wonderfully inventive and stunning, the lead actress was great, it doesn't hold together as a story but then surely that is part of the point.

The Haunting (1963) 8/10
Considered one of the great old style horror movies. The set up and jokes are very good, the characters interesting and nicely played by a cast hamming it up. The tease moments which come to nothing (to plant the seed in the audiences mind) are maybe some of the best I have seen, as things move along it the plot seems a bit drawn out and maybe you think this isn't the great horror film it is cracked up to be, but it is one I will be returning to.

Pete

Reaction score
I just watched the worst movie of all time. Unfortunately, I'm too sleepy to write a review that does it justice. But stay tuned, because it's going to be a good one.

I should have watched Mission Impossible instead...

AF.

Reaction score
Decided to watch The Dark Knight again as I am going to watch Rises again tomorrow.

What more can be said about this masterpiece? At the time, it was one of the greatest movies I've ever seen and still lives up to that moniker today. A thrill from the moment you turn it on to the very last scene, this is one of the most brilliantly paced movies I've ever seen. The second best movie in the trilogy, topped by Rises although that could change after I rewatch it tomorrow. Joker is fantastic. The way he manipulates and pulls off some of the most lethal and chilling murders carry this movie. Although I would have liked things to be further investigated into detail (it is said that Joker gets his crew from Arkham Asylum, this would have been great to see rather than told, how Batman rigs the sonar device onto the telephones, backstory to the Joker other than the two different stories he tells people about his scars and so on). Why they didn't blame Dent's kills on Joker is also a thing I thought could have been reworked. Other than a few minor issues about the movie, this is one of the best films ever made for many reasons. My favourite scene in particular is when Joker rigs the two boats to explode and the inmates or the civilians must choose whether they blow the other boat up and save themselves. It's one of the only moment of the film that rewards Batman's work as it shows Gotham is a humane place despite Joker's views of Gotham.

9.5/10

AF.

Reaction score
Rewatched The Dark Knight Rises and it is still a 10/10 movie. Tops every movie in the trilogy and probably any movie ever made tbh.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Stonehedge Apocalypse.

I expected a pretty horrible movie here. It turned out to be much better and actually flowed rather well for a random, yet interesting plot by a straight to DVD kind of company. The acting felt legit which is usually a huge flaw in these kind of movies. Overall I was just surprised that more people other than me would probably enjoy this. Still not a total classic by any means.

7/10

Pete

Reaction score
The Adventures of Chris Fable 0/5 (0/10)
Deceptively marketing itself as an honest low-budget alternative to Harry Potter and Percy Watson, AoCF is nothing more and nothing less than badly acted, horribly paced, amateurishly shot, laughably put-together Christian propaganda. And not even subtle Christian propaganda, a la Narnia; no, this is the type of movie where the two female leads are called Faith and Hope, and where every other sentence reminds us to "keep following what the book tells you", because "it is a good one". No prizes for guessing what book this is...

But even without the sickeningly unsubtle Christian brainwashing (erm, I mean message), Chris Fable would still be a painful viewing experience. How bad is it, you ask? It is worse than the worst movie you can think of. It is worse than Norbit. It is worse than Eraserhead. It makes Batman and Robin look like The Godfather. It out-sucks anything The Asylum ever put out. Heck, it is worse than Plan 9 From Outer Space - and, as movie buffs will certainly know, that is, indeed, saying something.

The overall look and feel of this pathetic excuse for a feature film is that of a glorified high-school play. Imagine someone took that slightly embarassing taping your Mum made, added some crummy special effects on AfterEffects, then posted it on YouTube for everyone to have a laugh over. Look! There's Mr. Davies the Science teacher in a goofy costume! And Coach Ryan doing a goofy accent! And ha-ha, it's Shawn's little brother in a park ranger costume! Sounds funny, right? Well, yes...until you realize that this is not your high school play, and that someone is actually marketing it as a serious family fantasy film.

The whole thing looks like it was directed by a sixteen-year-old with only the vaguest idea of how to make a movie (you make sure the camera's in focus and, uh, you point it at things, right?). Elements like pacing, narrative cohesion and character development are entirely non-existant, and one doubts the director even knows what "subtlety" and "nuances" mean. Characters are introduced, then literally dropped one scene later, never to resurface (I guess, like good Christians, they wanted to include everybody...) Villains have "BAD GUY" written on their forehead. And not a word from anybody but the protagonist sounds even remotely like something a real person would say in normal conversation - even within a fantasy universe. The 'high-school play' analogy is further helped along by 'actors' who look like they may actually be high-school teachers putting on sub-carnival-kiddy-show performances, each and every one hamming it up for all they are worth for extra cringe points. And the least said about the (not so) 'special' effects, the better - just wait until you see 'Electracity', or the lead villain's 'destroyer robot' (otherwise known as a sub-1950's "metal' suit, with a cardboard box for a head, which shoots bad AfterEffects flames). Somewhere, Chris Bores is using this as evidence to sustain that he is a legitimate film-maker.

All of this would of course be fine, if this movie was declaredly aimed at eight-year-olds, or if it was played for laughs, as a straight out spoof. The problem is, eight-year-olds will be bored to tears with a story where half the time is literally spent watching a teenager walk around some fields, and the whole thing is played with cringeworthy, morose seriousness. As a result, the movie ends up appealing to absolutely no-one, other than Christians - and, as Sunday School Musical abundantly proved, Christians will watch anything (last Christian joke, Scouts' honour!)

What's even more frustrating is that Chris Fable could have been so much more. Based on a 17th century text, and here and there hinting at something broader and more interesting (Chris does not know what a book is, indicating some sort of apocalyptic future), the film does have a reasonably likeable and believable lead, and could, with a little work, be made into an unassuming, watchable family movie. Unfortunately, the ineptitude of all involved ensures that this is never anything but a laughing stock for serious film fans, and an embarassment for anyone associated with it (including the poor leading kid, which can only dream of an acting career after this). Unless this turns out to actually be an accidentally released Church camp film project, it firmly deserves the title of worst movie of all time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(NOTE: Not actually the last movie I saw, but I had to give this its due review.)

(NOTE #2: Apologies to any Christian readers, but the lack of subtlety here really pissed me off, especially when there are people PRAISING THIS for its 'Christian message'. Fuck off.)

Last edited:

AF.

Reaction score
^Bit of an overstatement (the second half).

My opinion. Already called it my favourite movie ever so it's not an overstatement to me.

Killswitch

Reaction score
Toy Story 3 - A very touching and fitting end to these characters we've followed over the years. Manages to stay fresh and clever and though it seems a tad more geared strictly towards the younger set than previous entries, still enjoyable for just about anyone. 3.5/5