Straightedge Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Is the straightedge lifestyle for you?

• Total voters

TAHowardRocks

Reaction score
Straightedge is a subculture of hardcore punk whose adherents refrain from alcohol,tobacco,and other recreational drugs. For some,this extends to not engaging in promiscuous sex,following a vegetarian or vegan diet,and not using caffeine or prescription drugs. For others,this lifestyle also extends to not having tattoos or piercings. Since everyone defines living a straightedge lifestyle differently all you need to do in order to live a straightedge lifestyle is to avoid smoking,drinking alcoholic beverages,and doing drugs. I don't live a straightedge lifestyle but I don't have a problem with anyone who does. What is your opinion regarding this lifestyle?

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Pretty much just a choice as to whether you want to avoid the smoking, drinking and stuff or not. I mean I myself... I stay clear of that stuff.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I got them there evil perscription drugs and drink a can of pop or two a day not to mention the big juicey porterhouse I'm about to eat. If I go to a bar people are drinking I may have a few I don't get hammered and when I say a few I mean maybe 3 every two hours. But I wouldn't label myself straightedge. I don't do drugs but I wouldn't label myself in some kind of category against it. It's your body do what you want with it or to it.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I don't do alcohol, drugs or tobacco so yeah I'm straightedge.

I don't like people who brag about it though.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I don't like people who brag about it though.

Yeh.

My main thing is that I don't think you can live life without doing some of that stuff, like what are you doing when everyone else is getting pissed up with their mates?

Same with being vegan and all the other hipster traits.

To each their own though.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
My answer: No.

Everyone is different and it's their own choice but I have no problem with having a couple drinks with friends or whilst doing something. Wouldn't go crazy alcoholic problems though. Wouldn't do drugs and wouldn't smoke either.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
It doesn't matter the slightest.

You still die anyways.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
My main thing is that I don't think you can live life without doing some of that stuff, like what are you doing when everyone else is getting pissed up with their mates?
That's one reason why I hate telling having to explain why I don't do any of that stuff, because hearing that sort of response just does my fucking head in. Why do I need to be drinking alcohol, being loud and obnoxious, throwing up and making a titt of myself to be having a good time. If that's what people need to do in order to have a good time then so be it, i'm just glad i'm not of them.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
That's one reason why I hate telling having to explain why I don't do any of that stuff, because hearing that sort of response just does my fucking head in. Why do I need to be drinking alcohol, being loud and obnoxious, throwing up and making a titt of myself to be having a good time. If that's what people need to do in order to have a good time then so be it, i'm just glad i'm not of them.

THIS!

I rarely drink, for this exact reason. The thing is, I'd rather not drink, and remember the night, if it's a really special occasion, rather than drink and not remember it at all. Getting drunk, can be fun, but unless you're a boring cranky ass bastard, you can have just as much fun when your sober, and laugh at your mates who are making fools of themselves. Not only that, but I'd love to be the one getting respect from my mates for helping them out when they've had one too many, or driving them all home as the designated driver, over being the drunken cock that causes a fight between your group of mates and another group, or ends up abbandoned cos they wont come home.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Yeh.

Same with being vegan and all the other hipster traits.

To each their own though.

It isn't that hard for me... but I guess it would depend on your friends. I mean if the people you associate with enjoy getting pissed up then it will be extremely difficult but since mine don't it makes it a lot easier to not even think about doing it ya know.

But the vegan and all that other stuff... that ain't happenin for me.

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
I'v never had a drink or smoke in my entire life but I don't label myself as Straightedge. It's to my understanding that Straightedge at it's core is more than just refraining from those things. I feel in order to label yourself as such, you need to be involved in the punk sub culture. I think CM Punk's straightedge gospel character made people believe they can be straightedge as well at the drop of a hat when really, once you break edge there is no going back or if you've ever done any of the sort then you can't claim edge. I may be wrong but that's always been my understanding of it.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I read up about when I first found out about straightedge and it seems to be different wherever you look. Some believe you have to be involved in that music culture like you said, some believe you have to follow everything including the caffeine, no sex etc and some just believe at the core that straightedge is not doing drugs, alcohol and drugs.

As far as claiming straightedge goes, I also understood it as you could have done any of the core stuff in your past, but have kicked it and claimed edge and to not do it again.

For what it's worth, i've smoked one or two cigarettes back in school and tried several drinks back then aswell. Didn't like em.

Either way I couldn't give a shit about the name, what people think you have to do or whatever. All I know is I don't do those things out of personal choice, not to be some sort of hipster or whatever.

Last edited:

Andy

Reaction score
@TheCork: Most people who are doing those things are using their creativity to come up with fun and exciting things to do. We live on Earth, populated by 7 billion people. There's always something to do. lol.

@Captain: You can claim/break and claim again if you so please.

I read up about when I first found out about straightedge and it seems to be different wherever you look. Some believe you have to be involved in that music culture like you said, some believe you have to follow everything including the caffeine, no sex etc and some just believe at the core that straightedge is not doing drugs, alcohol and drugs.

As far as claiming straightedge goes, I also understood it as you could have done any of the core stuff in your past, but have kicked it and claimed edge and to not do it again.

For what it's worth, i've smoked one or two cigarettes back in school and tried several drinks back then aswell. Didn't like em.

Either way I couldn't give a shit about the name, what people think you have to do or whatever. All I know is I don't do those things out of personal choice, not to be some sort of hipster or whatever.

The first thing you mentioned is Hardline, the upgrade and uber-strict version of derivation of sXe. Those guys are anal and crazy. Anyway, you're right about the rest of the stuff.

Most of the time I hate labels, but sometimes it's fun to make yourself look different amongst your peers. And yeah, I'm sXe, but I didn't claim it because I saw CM Punk being straight edge. I'm actually involved in the punk scene, haha.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I am another that doesn't drink, doesn't smoke and doesn't do drugs. I don't label myself as straightedge though because I don't think that it really needs a name especially one that makes it sound like I have signed up to a cult. None of those things appeal to me at all so I simply don't use those products not because of any outside influences.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I drink, but don't do drugs or smoke, they have never appealed to me.