Stone Cold vs The Rock at WrestleMania X-Seven was 17 years ago, your thoughts looking back now ?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

jminter2698

The Artiste
Reaction score
I remember watching that match today in 2001 on pay per view, with the Limp Bizkit music in the music videos before the match, Steve Austin's desire to defeat The Rock at any cost and he didn't waste time doing so. Immediately punching Rock, hitting him with the TV monitors, ring bells and chairs which left The People's Champion a bloody mess. Of course Rocky made Austin bleed and they both put Sharpshooter submissions on each other and did their own finishing moves, with Rock using a Stunner and Austin with his own Rock Bottom etc. I just didn't like the ending when Steve shook hands with Vince McMahon after he won the WWF Championship using his help to pin The Great One, after being against him for years. Even Austin himself doesn't like it nowadays and wishes he could change it with the Stunner on Vince but oh well, it is what it is.

Reactions: Nikki Nitro

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I remember it being a high impact match...but...Vince being involved
& the heel turn kind of ruined it for me.

I know Austin wanted to do something different & I respect him for
that...but teaming up with Vince...it just felt so...wrong...and not in
a cool creative way...in a "This is a huge mistake" kind of way.

Granted I don't give Austin much thought these days because he
seems to have a nasty habit of BEATING UP WOMEN.

Everyone here is aware of that right?

Just checking...

Wrasslemaniac

The Showoff
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
At the time i just couldn't get my head around why Austin would "team up" with Vince and hated the ending at the time. I wasn't watching Raw/Smackdown every week so i was probably missing parts of the build and story but overall I just didn't like it.

Looking back i now understand the idea was that Austin vs Rock was about a struggle between the 2 biggest faces on the card and who is really on top. Austin was that desperate to be the guy on the top he enlisted Vince's help to get his influence to ensure he would be the guy on top. Whatever it takes and all that but it's not that obvious on screen and it seems to leave the fans in the stadium confused and as we came to see it was just one big mistake BUT it still goes down as a "moment" and that's what Vince likes so works from creating a moment people still talk about

"remember that time stone cold turned heel and aligned with vince?"

Reactions: Grievous 3D