Stojy watches the Monday Night War

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stojy

Reaction score
1696586404951.png

I’ve always wanted to go back and watch the Monday Night Wars in chronological order. I’ve admittedly watched all of WWF/E stuff before throughout the time period, but most of my knowledge regarding WCW is on reading/research and not watching. The plan is to watch each episode of Raw and Nitro each week, leave some comments (probably won’t be overly detailed in terms of review) and then basically just select which show I think was better, keeping a running tally. If I ever make it to the end of the war, we’ll basically just review and see which show I’ve selected more times.

I will also watch PPV’s and leave some comments on them for the sake of continuity, whilst using some form of a star system for match ratings. I will probably also try to maintain some lists regarding PPV of the year, wrestler of the year (based on match ratings) and best matches of the year.

I’ve already watched the first few shows so will tidy up my thoughts on them and post relatively quickly. For anybody coming along for the ride, I hope you enjoy.

Stojy

Reaction score
WCW Monday Nitro
September 4th, 1995

The first ever episode of Nitro. One of the most historic episodes of a wrestling TV show in history. This is admittedly one episode of Nitro that I have actually seen before. Firstly, I think the Mall of America thing is maybe a little cheesy in general, but I dug the look for the first episode. Think it really worked and helped further show just how different Nitro was/is.

Match One
Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Liger

I honestly have mixed feelings about this one. It was still pretty good for a seven-minute match, but the other thing is they arguably couldn’t have picked a better match to kick off the first episode of Nitro. They are unopposed, there is no Raw this week, and this immediately puts over Nitro as the show with better in ring action due to the style Pillman/Liger wrestle. Whilst the match was still passable, Pillman is a bit off here and the commentators try and cover by blaming his leg injury which occurred over 12 months ago. Liger is amazing here though, nailing everything perfectly. The biggest highlight of Pillman being off is probably the botches when trying Flying Headscissors. Still, a really fun, action-packed opening match, and it ends with Liger going for a German Suplex but Pillman reversing into a Prawn Hold for the win. Solid. **3/4

After the match they shake hands because they are good guys. Yay.

Sting cuts a pre-taped promo saying that nobody gets in Ric Flair’s face like the Stinger, and nobody does his move, the Scorpion Deathlock, like yours truly. Eh, cheesy surfer Sting promo here.

Next up is another pre tape where Eric Bischoff interviews Hulk Hogan inside Pastamania. Hogan is signing autographs because he’s still so popular and his act isn’t stale… Hogan basically just talks up Pastamania, before mentioning Big Bubba and the title match tonight. Promo was clearly to hype Pastamania and not tonight’s main event.

Flair and Sting are out for their main event match when WCW fires the first big shot in the Monday Night War. Unopposed with no competition, WWF’s star Lex Luger shockingly shows up and shocks the world. Even if you don’t think Lex was a good wrestler (I don’t), he had plenty of name value and you can’t deny this wasn’t a HUGE deal. Sting looks shocked and before the match can be started, Doug Dillinger takes Luger to the back.

Match Two
Sting vs. Ric Flair

Can’t disagree with these two being on the first ever Nitro considering how famous their feud is. It’s a pretty by the numbers affair from these two as they go through their list of typical spots, hitting all the expected stuff. Plenty of Sting no selling and Flair stalling as per usual as well. Due to his current feud with Flair, Arn Anderson makes his way out halfway through to watch the match from ringside. After avoiding a Stinger Splash, Flair works on the leg before locking in the Figure Four. Flair tries to reach out to Arn for assistance, but Arn isn’t interested. Instead, Flair holds onto the ropes, and won’t relinquish the hold, causing the ref to call a DQ. Good stuff from these two as per usual. ***

After the match, Anderson gets into the ring and surprisingly pulls Flair off of Sting. Flair pretends to beg off before swinging at Arn, but Arn fires back and the two brawl to the outside. After a few moments they are split up and Flair heads up the aisle.

Commentators are discussing the show when they are interrupted by Scott Norton. Norton throws a contact at Bischoff and says that he wants a fight, and he wants some competition. It looks like he and Mongo are about to get it on, when Norton challenged Mongo to throw a punch, but Randy Savage intervenes. Savage tells Norton that if he’s looking to make a reputation in WCW, he should fight the Macho Man and he should do it right now. Randy rolls into the ring but Norton is stopped by security ending a really great angle.

A hype video airs for the debut of Sabu. Let’s go, Sabu!!!

Michael Wallstreet promo time. It’s time for him to just trash the WWF here apparently, as he says the New Generation is the Few Generation… Good one. He also says the IRS (wink wink) will be watching him. He came to WCW because it’s where the big boys play, and WCW will know that Michael Wallstreet is a real player. Arguably the only thumbs down segment on this entire show.

Match Three
WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Hulk Hogan (c) w/Jimmy Hart vs. Big Bubba Rogers

This one is basically just a throw away Hogan main event to have him prove that he is the top guy on their first episode of Nitro. This match is also just filler before the aftermath, and honestly Big Bubba could have been replaced by virtually anybody in this spot. With that being said, Bubba probably got more offense in then I would have expected him to, but Bubba is a good big man so at least the stuff he does is good. After the Bubba Spike and a near fall, Hogan hulks up, and we all know the story from there. Punches, Big Boot, Leg Drop and it’s all over. Wouldn’t recommend watching or anything, but for what my expectations were, this wasn’t half bad. **

After the match, The Dungeon of Doom makes their first appearance on Nitro. Hogan holds his own despite being ridiculously outnumbered because he’s Hogan, but then Luger makes an appearance to help fight them off. After clearing the ring, they accidentally back into each other and then go face to face. Both look ready to throw hands until Sting and Randy Savage get into the ring to deescalate the situation. Hogan tells Luger to go back to where he come from as we head to the final break.

When we return, Mean Gene is in the ring and Hogan tells Lex that this is his backyard. Luger says people say Hogan is #1 wrestler in the world and that means he’s the only World Heavyweight Champion. Lex wants that belt. He’s been down the same roads as Hogan, he’s beaten the same people and he’s tired of playing with kids. He’s here to play with the big boys and get his shot. Hogan says that he can understand Luger’s determination fresh off what he went through “over there”, but this is Hogan’s backyard now. He tells Luger to stick his stinky, sweaty palm out so they can shake hands and he’ll give Luger his title shot next week on Nitro. Big pop as the two shake hands and then begin shoving each other to build that tension. Sting and Savage hold their friends back from coming to blows as the show finishes.

What a first show. A historical episode, but also a very good episode. Well booked by WCW. Sure, from an in-ring perspective, maybe things could have been a little better, but that’s being picky. Not sure there has been a better first edition of any show in pro wrestling. Exciting stuff with some big moments littered throughout.

The Verdict

Considering this episode of Nitro was unopposed, it’s probably unfair to say that they won the battle this week, but that’s exactly what I’m doing. Show was far to good to not get any credit.

Raw
0​
Nitro
1​

Stojy

Reaction score
WWF Monday Night Raw
September 11th, 1995

Before the opening match, on commentary it’s announced that Bam Bam Bigelow and The British Bulldog will face off at In Your House 3.

Match One
Razor Ramon vs. The British Bulldog w/Jim Cornette

During the entrances, we see replays of Bulldog attacking Diesel, and he still had the long hair during the replays, but now tonight he has his short hair. Fun fact, somewhere in this three-week period, Bulldog cut off his hair lol. Anyway, thought this was pretty solid work from these two. Razor ends up hitting the Razor’s Edge but can’t get the pin because the referee had previously been knocked out. Dean Douglas runs out and attacks Razor, only for the 123 Kid to try and intervene. Douglas ends up disposing of Kid and leaving. All of the distractions allow for Bulldog to nail Ramon with the Powerslam. As he goes for the pin, Kid looks for a Splash from the top rope onto Bulldog, but he moves and Kid lands on Ramon. The referee then DQ’s Ramon for this which makes basically no sense whatsoever. **1/4

After the match, Bulldog beats up Kid. I guess they wanted to protect Razor but put over Bulldog as the next big heel.

After commercials, Razor and 123 Kid are in the ring, but standing between them is interviewer extraordinaire, Vince McMahon. In a long-winded way, McMahon claims that Kid made Razor lose, but Kid says Ramon did the same thing to him on Superstars and nobody accused Razor of costing him a match. Kid says Razor still treats him like a kid and he wants to be taken seriously. Nobody believed in him when he beat Ramon the first time so maybe he has to do it again to get Razor to respect him. Even though they are friends, Kid challenges Razor to a match next week and he accepts. I actually like this angle, think with the opening match and this aftermath, it’s a pretty solid start to the show.

Match Two
The Smoking Gunns vs. Rad Radford and The Brooklyn Brawler

Pretty much a squash match and not a very good one because The Gunns are meh. They win though because they are apparently the hot team on the scene. ½*

Another somewhat historic moment here, as we get the first ever pre-taped promo from Goldust. I know he wasn’t for everybody but until they messed him up by probably mid 96 or so, I was a huge fan of the Goldust character originally. To be fair, I like Rhodes in general so there’s that. “Kill the brains, kill the ghoul”. Goldust kicks things off with a Night of the Living Dead quote. He mentions the ghouls known as The Undertaker’s creatures of the night, but gold sheds no darkness, only light. He says he’ll send that black cloud out of the WWF, never to be heard from again, courtesy of Goldust. This segment holds up, Goldust is awesome.

Match Three
Isaac Yankem D.D.S vs. Scott Taylor

Both of these guys would go on to leave their own respective impacts on the company here, as we have the future Kane against the future Scotty 2 Hotty. They both suck here though, especially Kane or Yankem. It’s a squash, and another bad one because Yankem looks like he can barely wrestle. ½*

Match Four
WWF Intercontinental Championship Match
Shawn Michaels (c) vs. Sid w/Ted DiBiase

Eh, I guess this was solidish but compared to what they’d do in the future together, it felt like this underdelivered. During Sid’s heat period, Shawn just didn’t seem completely with it, and this is before he disintegrated into a waste of space circa some time in 2003. I don’t want to sit here and recap the entire match and point out all these examples, but he just seemed a little off with some of his usual big bumps. Also, despite the giant in Sid constantly working on his back, Shawn no sells it for basically the entire match which is a pet peeve of mine. The ending comes about with Michaels making his comeback and then landing three Superkicks, one to the gut, one to the chest and the final one to the chin. Realistically, these kicks looked terribly soft and not at all like a valid finisher. Still okay, but plenty of room for improvement. **1/4

Shawn does his little strip tease shit afterwards, pulling down his pants and flashing some of his ass. Ugh. How is this guy likeable?

Dox Hendrix interviews Michaels and WWF Champion Diesel in the back about their winners take all match against WWF Tag Team Champions Owen Hart and Yokozuna at In Your House 3. Michaels says he’s writing all the wrongs in his life and at the pay per view, they will make history. Diesel says they aren’t just the dudes with attitude, they’ll be the chaps with all the straps.

A solid show. Further established a new top heel in Bulldog and completed the blow off for Michaels/Sid.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
This is gonna be a fun read

Reactions: Stojy

Stojy

Reaction score
WCW Monday Nitro
September 11th, 1995

It’s week two of Nitro time and we’ve got a pretty stacked card tonight in terms of name value. Hogan/Luger for the title, Savage/Norton and the debut of Sabu. Sounds like fun to me.

We get a replay of the confrontation between Luger/Hogan to hype tonight’s main event. On commentary, Eric Bischoff then announces that Vader has gone AWOL and hasn’t filed the right documentation, so Vader will not be in War Games. For those who don’t know, Vader is also out of WCW at this point. This also begins the angle of Hogan’s team being one-man down heading into Fall Brawl this Sunday.

Also, a quick word on the first real Nitro set after last week’s Mall of America opening. It’s great. Wouldn’t be out of place today, showing probably how ahead of its time it was.

Before the opening match begins, it’s discussed how Alex Wright defeated DDP on WCW Saturday Night to earn this match with Sabu. I wonder where Alex Wright will be in two years and where DDP will be.

Match One
Sabu vs. Alex Wright

I actually thought they did a pretty good job with this considering. We all know Sabu is at his best when he’s jumping around performing a bunch of extreme spots which destroy his body. WCW requires Sabu to tone that style down, he can’t just be all ECW Sabu. With that being said, this is a pretty fun four minutes. They give Wright a fair bit of offense, making these two look almost even, as he dominates after Sabu takes a nasty guardrail bump when he misses the Air Sabu. Still a few sloppy moments in here but I think that’s the beauty of Sabu, and eventually he picks up the win with an awkward looking Victory Roll type move from the top rope. A fun start. **1/2

After the match, Sabu keeps attacking Alex and eventually sends him outside of the ring. He sets up a table, which is an ugly looking table and Sabu comes off the top with a flip. It’s a rough spot with Wright kind of sitting on the edge of table, meaning Sabu nearly takes his head off. Wright looks to barely sell the move at first which was hilarious, but then seems to figure it out. Anyway, referee reverses the decision and Alex Wright is declared the winner. I can deal with Sabu just destroying people after the match being his ‘thing’ in WCW.

Now we get Mean Gene interviewing Flair inside of the ring. Flair says he and Arn used to rule the world, but then he mocks Arn for staying at the hotel with his wife and kid whilst Flair partied last night. Flair holds up the four fingers and says this was the symbol of excellence when Lex Luger appears. Flair holds the ropes open for Luger and talks him up, talking about how Hogan has driven him crazy. Lex signals for Flair to calm down but Flair says the total package takes control tonight. Luger says some things never change and Flair is to much and just leaves. Flair talks a bit more about Hogan and that’s the end of the segment. I’m all for a Flair promo but Luger’s random appearance, to just say that one statement and leave just came across as strange and awkward as opposed to interesting.

So during the entrances for the next match, we get an epic bit of commentary from Bischoff, which will kind of becoming the norm for Eric. “By the way, in case you’re tempted to grab the remote and check out the competition, don’t bother. It’s three weeks old. Shawn Michaels beats the big guy with a Superkick that couldn’t beat a green belt in a local YMCA. Stay right here, it’s live”. Can’t begin to tell you how awesome I think this is. Shots fired, fun stuff. Mongo’s line about Raw being named after uncooked eggs… Not so much.

Also, Michael Wallstreet is now VK Wallstreet because referring to WWF and Vinnie Mac is fun.

Match Two
Sting vs. VK Wallstreet

A decent four minutes I guess. At this point, Rotunda isn’t exactly tearing the house down, whereas maybe earlier in his career, he was slightly above average in the ring. He’s not the new hot hand like say Luger and others eventually will be. He’s a WWF guy they got for name value, but they know his value immediately, so he puts over Sting here cleanly. Pretty standard Sting match, going through the motions for the most part and a Stinger Splash, followed by a Crossbody are enough to end this one. *3/4

I guess it’s kind of cool in a way that with the VK gimmick, they have Vincent Kennedy being embarrassed by the face of WCW in Sting.

Match Three
Randy Savage vs. Scott Norton

I have frustrations with the booking of this match which I will get to, but this is a really good 5-6 minutes. Norton looked deadly here which is great because he ruled for a big, strong 90’s power wrestler. I don’t think he ever quite performs in WCW like he did in Japan but he’s still a great brick wall for Savage here, who as far as I’m concerned, was still in the back end of his prime at this point. Norton’s offense is great and Savage sells and performs his fiery comebacks tremendously. Really good stuff. Savage builds momentum and looks to be close to finishing things off when The Dungeon of Doom appear. The Shark looks to enter the ring and Savage dodges a charging Norton, and he crashes into Shark. Somehow, The Shark finishes entering the ring, staggers forward and falls across the legs of the fallen Norton. With Norton trapped, Savage goes up, drops the elbow and gets the win. Savage looks good, it continues The Dungeon of Doom feud, and even in defeat, you’d argue Norton gets plenty competing so well with Savage. My issue is with the interference stuff. Alex Wright got a reversed decision earlier tonight, Arn Anderson took Flair off the ropes last week and it caused a DQ. The officiating is so strict but then suddenly it’s okay for The Shark to be trapping Norton, even if accidentally and the referee just counts anyway. Surely this should be a No Contest or something. Maybe it’s just because I love Norton and the loss hurts a little, but inconsistencies here kind of annoy me. Judging the match on it’s own though, a really solid affair. **3/4

After the match, the rest of The Dungeon of Doom make their way-out Savage smartly leaves the ring. Norton shoves Shark and there are some words exchanged and some tense looks given between Norton and The Dungeon of Doom. This would be so cool if it was a way for Dungeon to attack Norton and then Norton comes back as the fourth man at War Games… But it won’t be.

Match Four
WCW World Heavyweight Championship Match
Hulk Hogan (c) w/Jimmy Hart vs. Lex Luger

These guys did better than I expected if I’m honest. No, it wasn’t match of the century like they billed it on commentary, but they did okay for the five minutes or, so they were given. To be honest, the short time period to work with probably helped them. There’s an awesome moment where after a tie up, Hogan gets a Drop Toe Hold, and then floats over into an STF. It’s sloppy as hell but man, never thought I’d see Hogan do that, so that was awesome. Another cool moment where after Hogan lands a Suplex, Luger no sells it, gets in Hogan’s face and does a flex. Kind of cool to see Hogan get Hogan’d by Luger. Match does it’s job of establishing Luger as a top guy in WCW, with multiple exchanges where he comes across as stronger or just as strong as Hogan. The WWF bashing continues on commentary as Bischoff says Luger looks winded because he isn’t used to the calibre of athlete like Hogan and other WCW wrestlers. It’s a different level to guys like Diesel, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. Hogan being on a different level in ring wise to Hart and Michaels is hilarious. Luger eventually gets Hogan up in the Torture Rack, but when the ref checks, Hogan’s arm doesn’t drop the third time. Stupidly, Luger thinks it has and he drops Hogan and starts celebrating. When the referee tells Luger the match is still on, Luger goes for the pin and Hogan starts to HULK UP~! Hogan does his bit, landing the Leg Drop, but then The Dungeon Of Doom attacks for the DQ finish. Better than I expected. **1/4

The Dungeon Of Doom attack Hogan afterwards whilst Luger stays out of it. Sting and Savage make the save and despite being outnumbered, the faces clear the ring. Once Luger is back to his feet, Bischoff mentions Luger wasn’t touched by the heels and Hogan shoves him. Luger shoves him back and there’s more arguing as a commercial break comes.

Back from the break, and Mean Gene is in the ring with all four guys. Mean Gene brings up the point at Hogan’s War Games team is a man short. Hogan says War Games is one week away, but The Dungeon didn’t touch Luger, and he wants to know which side is he on, brother. Sting tries to calm things down, saying that Vader is out, and Luger could be his replacement. Savage shuts this down, saying he’d rather go in outnumbered and know what he’s facing then get stabbed in the back. Sting stands up for Luger and votes for him to be in War Games, but then Savage asks why Luger and Jimmy Hart weren’t attacked by Dungeon Of Doom. Jimmy sticks up for himself and says he ran to the back to get help for Hogan. Hogan grabs the mic and says Sting votes yes, Savage votes no, but at War Games we will find out what everybody is made of, and he asks Luger to step in. Sting warns Luger not to make a fool of him and Luger says tonight was unfair and not what he’s about, but he’s happy to step in at War Games under one condition… He wants a title shot after War Games. Hogan and Luger shake on it as Jimmy Hart celebrates, but Savage says Luger clearly has an ulterior motive and leaves angry. There’s still tension and anger in the ring as the show ends. Fun ending to get Luger in the team for this Sunday.

Another good and very interesting show. Not at the same level as last week, but still good.

The Verdict

There wasn’t to much of a difference in terms of in ring action this week, with Savage/Norton being the best, but both shows putting on some solid action. The difference is storyline progression and interesting angles getting airtime. WWF had the Razor/Kid stuff which is okay, but the Flair/Anderson and Luger angle’s are just so much more interesting and entertaining at this point. Another win for Nitro this week.

Raw0
Nitro2

Stojy

Reaction score
WCW Fall Brawl
September 17th, 1995
Asheville Civic Centre
Asheville, North Carolina

Match One
Number One Contendership for US Title
Brian Pillman vs. Johnny B Badd

Okay, so the first thing that shocks me about this one is the length of time. These two were given 30 minutes, which Pillman could pull off with the right opponent, but Badd has no license going 30 minutes with anybody. With that being said, this had the potential to be really bad, but you can argue that Pillman put on one of the best performances of his career. Even if potentially at the halfway mark he looked a little tired, he was great. This would have been Badd’s best match in WCW if the length of the match was cut in half, but because they needed to fill 30 minutes, there’s a lot of dead space where it feels like nothing is happening. Also, I’m a big fan of wrestlers who can change their style mid match based on the crowd reaction. I think of The Rock as a guy who was very good at this. Fans have turned on him on quite a few big occasions, and in each one, he just flicks the switch and starts working heel. It felt like Pillman did that here when the crowd was clearly favouring Badd (lol why), so that gets a thumbs up from me. To add to the spectacle, Badd gets some accidental blood, with a cut around his orbital bone. When they turned it up towards the end of the first twenty minutes, it got really exciting, with Pillman getting a Backslide but time runs out for the three count can be made. The referee then apparently makes the decision that because this is for a title shot, there must be a winner, so we are going to sudden death. The overtime does have that big match feel, with Badd unleashing all of his arsenal. Pillman tries to but starts failing with a lot of his high-risk stuff. The ending comes about when they go with a Double Crossbody spot, and luck goes Badd’s way as he lands on top and gets the pin. Probably a little generous with the match rating here because whilst there was a lot of nothing, I still enjoyed the effort and performance from Pillman. Solid opening, but yes, still to long. **3/4

Mean Gene now interviews Ric Flair in the back. Flair holds up the four fingers and says this is the symbol of excellence. He and Arn were together for fifteen years, they bonded, lived together, sweated together, bled together and at times, cried together. Flair said they were best friends and he never asked Arn for anything he wouldn’t give back. Tonight, in Horseman country, they don’t walk side by side as masters of War Games, but from opposite ends of the building. Flair says people in life don’t get a chance to stand next to greatness, but tonight, Arn would face it. Mean Gene then asks Flair if he hates Arn. Flair says the problem is he loves him. He loves him so much that he has to show him there’s only one king of the hill and that’s The Nature Boy. Flair then throws up the four fingers again. Good stuff.

Cobra comes out first and Pittman initially doesn’t make his entrance. Instead, another soldier guy comes out and has a message to give Cobra, but Cobra interrupts and begins berating the youngster. As this is happening, Pittman comes down from the rafters dressed in full camo gear and face paint. He looks ridiculous as he army crawls through one ring and into the other, takes off the bullet strap and starts choking Cobra. I actually don’t know if this is bad or hilariously good.

Match Two
Sgt. Craig Pittman vs. Cobra

Pittman tosses away the thing he was choking Cobra with and just beats the crap out of him. Cobra shoves him away and lands a Lariat. Cobra tries a high risk move but Pittman sidesteps and drops him with a Facebuster. Pittman locks in his Arm Bar or Code Red and this ones over in about a minute. Again, not sure if I thought this was fun or just awful. Happy it only went a minute so maybe leaning more towards the former. Pittman wins and hopefully this is over with now. ¾*

On commentary, Tony Schiavone and The Brain talk about Paul Orndorff recently losing a match to Randy Savage, before showing footage of Orndorff throwing a tantrum in his dressing room. Gary Spivey shows up and gets him to believe in himself again in a weird psychic type of segment. Just awful stuff honestly. This was terrible.

Match Three
WCW World Television Championship Match
The Renegade (c) w/Jimmy Hart vs. Diamond Dallas Page w/The Diamond Doll and Maxx Muscle

Considering this is Renegade and 95 DDP, I wasn’t expecting much but this wasn’t terrible. Not good or anything but decent enough, and better than I expected. A pretty typical 90’s affair with a bit of back and forth and a bit of control from the heel, but DDP really had a good performance here. This was a big moment for him on PPV, and he clearly tried his ass off. He has some incredible stooging and over selling of Renegade’s putrid offense which makes his bearable. I thought they set up somewhat of a false finish nicely as after DDP collided with Muscle on the apron, and Renegade got to the top, it looked like it was over. Instead, Renegade sees Muscle moving towards Jimmy Hart on the outside and leaps onto him instead. When Renegade gets back in the ring, Muscle holds onto his leg and DDP gets the Diamond Cutter for the win. I’d much rather DDP as champ then Renegade so I’m all for this. Better than I expected but still a lot to be desired. **

Diamond Doll doesn’t seem happy with the way DDP won the title, which makes sense because they’ve got the whole DDP mistreating her angle going on. I will say having not watched a lot of WCW before, I didn’t realise how fine Kimberly is/was so good on her.

Match Four
WCW World Tag Team Championship Match
Bunkhouse Buck and Dick Slater (c) w/Col. Parker vs. Harlem Heat w/Sister Sherri

I thought the action between these two teams was really good actually. They tried hard and I like both teams, but much like the opener, I think the length hurt the match. They could have had a nice 10–12-minute match but I think this one going 17 minutes had a negative impact by the end of it. Nothing really overly exciting as the first 12 minutes just happens, and initially there’s no control segment until Buck cheap shots Booker’s knee. Booker plays face in peril well but due to Harlem Heat not really being faces, the crowd isn’t great which takes away from the match. As Stevie gets the hot tag, we see that Parker and Sherri are making googly eyes at each other. Sherri crawls into the ring and Parker leaps over the ropes for some reason, at least it was amusing. Col. Parker the cruiserweight, lets go. Anyway, they start making out which apparently distracts the referee because he’s a perv. Booker and Buck brawl to the outside and Slater prepares to use the loaded boot on Stevie, but The Nasty Boys come down and hit Slater with his own boot to get revenge for something that’s happened before I started watching. Or it happened not on Nitro. Anyway, that’s enough for Harlem Heat to get the pin and regain the tag titles. **1/4

After the match, Parker and Sherri keep kissing and it’s clear neither team is happy about their managers getting it on. Harlem Heat’s celebration is ruined as they talk to Sherri, but she claims it was all a ploy to help them win. The former champs are mad at Col. Parker who is forced to walk up the ramp looking distressed. Mean Gene catches up with them on the ramp and Buck is mad, but Parker tells him he’ll get them another shot because he’s the greatest promoter in the world. After sending them to the back, Parker tells Gene he’s torn between being upset at losing the titles but being in love with Sherri.

A pretty awesome video package airs to hype Flair/Anderson which is next.

Mean Gene interviews Arn Anderson in the back. Double A says he always calls a spade a spade and he’s either loved with a passion or hated with a passion. Arn talks about everybody having a family member that you sometimes needed to grab and shake because words don’t work anymore. His stomach is in knots and his heart is pounding in his chest. He’d be lying if he said he wasn’t nervous because he has to trade fists with somebody, he loves more than god himself. Flair’s been a brother to him when he didn’t have one. Arn says unfortunately they have to trade fists because when he wakes up and looks in the mirror, he needs to answer to himself. All a man can ever do is stand up to his word, right or wrong. Arn gives his words that he’ll give Flair all he’s got. Win, lose or draw, Arn will respect himself in the morning and Flair will respect him to… I thought the Flair promo before was good, but this was tremendous from Double A. Great promo.

In another nice touch, to show how big of a deal this match is to the other wrestlers, we see Brian Pillman, the American Males, Col. Parker, Alex Wright, Eddie Guerrero (fuck yeah), The Nasty Boys and Big Bubba in the stands to watch the match.

Match Five
Arn Anderson vs. Ric Flair

I’ll try not to mark out too much for this one, but right from the get-go, the psychology set here is awesome. This is such a big deal for Arn, being the less successful of the two, whereas Flair is a little more arrogant. Arn offers his hand for a handshake, showing respect, but Flair slicks his hand through his hair and lets off a WOOOOO. Kind of makes it feel like Arn is treating this differently, whereas Flair is treating it like just another match. After a tie up and some brief work, Arn gets Flair back though, by taking Flair down amateur style and rubbing Flair’s face in the mat. As they get up, Flairs in shock and Arn lets out a little WOOO of his own. Awesome. Anderson’s facial expressions throughout are just fantastic as well. Arn is on top in the early stages, with Flair trying to get to the knee, but Arn is able to constantly thwart him. Flair begins getting frustrated that he isn’t able to have his way with Arn, which is maybe the way he expected things to go. Arn works on the arm and Flair’s usual tricks don’t work but then he pulls out something new. After the typical Flair corner bump and walk on the apron, as Arn charges at him, Flair drops down and low bridges Arn to the outside. Awesome move by Flair, and potentially one Anderson didn’t expect so wasn’t ready for. Flair then comes off with a Double Ax Handle sledge from the top rope to the floor which is pretty rare. Flair’s selling of the arm throughout is good enough, and then when Flair finally is able to work on the leg, Arn’s selling is amazing. As a heel who is usually one doing the damage, I feel like Arn doesn’t get a lot of opportunities to show his limb selling, but it was amazing here. Eventually, Flair gets the Figure Four on and screams that Arn has nothing, even spitting in his face. Arn manages to turn it and the fans pop like crazy, but Flair makes the ropes. Flair tries the hold again, but Anderson gets an Inside Cradle for an epic near fall. Anderson’s leg then crumbles, and Flair hesitates, until Brian Pillman comes from nowhere and yells at Flair to finish him. Flair is annoyed at Pillman, and you can hear him tell him to fuck off, and then Flair goes to turn away, but Pillman hits him in the back of the head. This is the opening for Arn to land the DDT and holy shit, Arn actually wins. I don’t think this is a perfect match, but I absolutely loved it anyway. Could have been better with a legitimate finish, but still top-notch stuff from two of the best. ****

The crowd reaction afterwards is very loud, but it’s also very split because people in North Carolina are always going to love Flair. A bunch of the other wrestlers who were watching the match chase Pillman to the back, as commentators wonder if this was Arn and Pillman’s plan all along. Which is interesting in itself, because it’s definitely something you could see Flair concocting.

War Games hype video package and then Mean Gene explains the rules.

Match Six
War Games
If Hogan’s team wins, he gets five minutes in the cage with Kevin Sullivan
Hulk Hogan, Sting, Randy Savage and Lex Luger w/Jimmy Hart vs. Meng, Kamala, The Shark and The Zodiac w/Kevin Sullivan

I will start by saying from what I have seen, this is pretty easily the worst War Games match in history. And it’s probably not overly surprising considering it’s built around Hogan and The Dungeon of Doom, which despite having it’s moments, was a pretty mediocre stable in terms of in ring action. Sting/Shark start things off, and there’s some good brawling between the two, and Sting even busts out a cool diving Lariat between the two rings. Sting slams Shark once and hurts his back and then playing on that, when he tries it again, Shark lands on top of Sting because he didn’t have the strength left. Good back work from Shark for a while, and the crowd is into it. Sting gets the Scorpion Death Lock, but then Zodiac comes in to interrupt. It’s actually clear that Sting tries really hard to make this match okay throughout. The face team in general is better than expected, as Savage tries hard and keeps the pace quick as well. Luger is a few levels below but still solid here, and Hogan is awful but luckily, he only works a few minutes of the match. The issue for me here is that they probably chose the worst two men to work the entire match for The Dungeon of Doom. Shark and Zodiac were both well and truly passed it by this point. There’s just a bunch of generic offense/cage stuff with nothing really interesting happening until Zodiac ducks and Luger accidentally Clothesline Savage. Randy gets up and they start fist fighting, which further plays on the point made on Nitro where Savage doesn’t trust Luger. Sting tries to stop the fight but then the buzzer goes off and Meng comes in and just takes them all down because he’s awesome. Meng’s throwing karate offense all over the place and it's the most enjoyable thing in the entire match. Hogan comes in with power because apparently, he’s a cheating coward now and he blinds all the heels with the powder. Hogan’s in and the faces basically dominate from here. In an awkward moment, Hogan just walks into the second ring and Zodiac follows. No real flow to the move, it just clearly happens to set up the finish but looked really strange. Anyway, Hogan throws Zodiac into the cage a bunch of times, before applying a shitty Camel Clutch to get the submission win. Worst War Games match. **

Kevin Sullivan tries to hurry away after the match because he wants no part of Hogan, but Doug Dillinger and other members of security force him back. Sting ends up grabbing him and throwing him back into the cage with Hogan. Hogan beats on Sullivan for a few minutes but it’s not exciting at all. Dull and boring stuff. Could have been better with some blood from Sullivan here but it wasn’t to be. After the beating, The Giant makes his way down, and throws the referee away, before getting into the cage and showing athleticism to leap over the top rope multiple times. The Giant no sells Hogan’s punch and chokes him down to his knees, before snapping his neck. Brutal ending, and a terrific ending angle for the PPV, with The Giant looking unstoppable, exactly as he should. The babyfaces run back out but Giant and Sullivan leave. On commentary, they act like Hogan may never wrestle again, and the hilarious thing is the fans were basically cheering the entire time. Anyway like I said, a good finishing angle.

For how good Nitro has been in the first two weeks, PPV was a bit disappointing. Outside of Flair/Anderson and maybe Pillman/Badd, everything else felt below average. The positive is booking wise it still feels like a lot of stuff here is heading in the right direction. Harlem Heat got the tag titles back, DDP is a much better TV champ then Renegade, and The Giant looks unstoppable here. Below average PPV, but I guess is still has left me somehow excited to see what happens on future Nitros.

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
VQVzDYO
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
I watched the Flair vs Anderson match recently, didn't know the story going in, and couldn't quite figure out who was the babyface and who was the heel. I own the WWE-produced War Games DVD but haven't watched the 93-95 editions in quite some time. I think all three were not great if I recall. You have what is on paper the greatest War Games team vs the worst. Replace Savage with Flair and you've got my picks for the Mt. Rushmore of WCW.

Reactions: Death By Looch

Stojy

Reaction score
I watched the Flair vs Anderson match recently, didn't know the story going in, and couldn't quite figure out who was the babyface and who was the heel. I own the WWE-produced War Games DVD but haven't watched the 93-95 editions in quite some time. I think all three were not great if I recall. You have what is on paper the greatest War Games team vs the worst. Replace Savage with Flair and you've got my picks for the Mt. Rushmore of WCW.
I can honestly get not knowing who was face/heel if you watched the match out of context. Always hard when Flair basically always has his fair share of fans by this point no matter what he's doing.

To further elaborate on my comments surrounding this being the worst War Games match. I stand by it, but by no means am I advocating for '93 War Games. I still think it was better than this one but not good, however I did enjoy '94 War Games. Not an all timer or anything but would comfortably give it ***.

Luger in your Mt. Rushmore is an interesting take. I can't get him in for name value (think he's a level below the top, top names of this era), and certainly can't get him in based on in ring work, but to each their own. I'd more likely have Savage back in alongside Flair as opposed to Luger. I'd probably even put Nash instead of Luger.

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
VQVzDYO
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
I can honestly get not knowing who was face/heel if you watched the match out of context. Always hard when Flair basically always has his fair share of fans by this point no matter what he's doing.

To further elaborate on my comments surrounding this being the worst War Games match. I stand by it, but by no means am I advocating for '93 War Games. I still think it was better than this one but not good, however I did enjoy '94 War Games. Not an all timer or anything but would comfortably give it ***.

Luger in your Mt. Rushmore is an interesting take. I can't get him in for name value (think he's a level below the top, top names of this era), and certainly can't get him in based on in ring work, but to each their own. I'd more likely have Savage back in alongside Flair as opposed to Luger. I'd probably even put Nash instead of Luger.
Yeah, Savage is a far better wrestler than Luger, I just think Luger is one of those "Mr. WCW" guys. He may have been gone from the company for a few years but still he was one of those guys who just seemed to represent the company.

Reactions: RDT and Stojy

Stojy

Reaction score
Ah okay, that makes more sense as in Luger is just a talent who resonates with WCW through and through. Funnily enough, in direct contrast, when I think Luger, I think the LEX EXPRESS~! although this could be because I’ve always been a WWF/WWE guy. When I think Mt. Rushmore, I think best of the best, and I just couldn’t justify him on my list.

WWF Monday Night Raw
September 18th, 1995
Canton, Ohio

Match One
123 Kid vs. Razor Ramon

I really enjoyed this for what it was. These two tend to work well together and this was no different. The only thing that worked against them here is that it was probably a little rushed. They could have done better with a little more time. Kid attacks Ramon before the bell rings which is a nice way to further put over his slightly more edgy attitude. Ramon eventually takes over with some basic offense that he performs nicely, and Kid bumps around like a crazy person which really helps make the match. Top rope Fallaway Slam, Chokeslam, some really cool stuff that Kid just takes like a champion. Kid does well when he’s on offense too, although admittedly I wasn’t a big fan of the sleeper hold he held through the commercial break. When we return from commercial, King mentions the hold has been on for 2 minutes and if so, boy oh boy that’s a LONG time for a Sleeper. Feel like it would have been to long and the match would have lost some momentum for the live audience. Anyway, towards the end, both wrestlers bounce off the ropes and have a head clash, which results in a ref bump as well. With Kid and the referee out of the ring, The Franchise, lol just kidding, Dean Douglas runs out and lands a pretty awkward looking Splash across the back of Ramon from the top rope. Dean Douglas quickly runs away, and Kid and the referee recover, and Kid gets the pin. I honestly think the match itself was solid and from a booking perspective it achieved everything it needed to. Douglas gets some heat on Razor, Kid gets some further credibility and due to the dusty finish, Ramon doesn’t lose anything. **3/4

Straight after the match, we get a Dean Douglas report card, and now he’s no longer in his suit, and he’s topless with a wrestling robe over the top. Okay. That’s weird. Not sure why they’d make it look like Douglas went for a wardrobe change. Anyway, Kid gets a D for dumb because he thinks he beat Razor when it was Douglas who really beat Razor. Razor gets an E because he’s trying to elevate by facing Douglas. What? He gives himself a grade of A and his explanation just confused me so I’ll leave it out, and finally, they will get an N at In Your House this Sunday because it’s a no brainer that Douglas will beat Razor. Eh some of the grade stuff was a reach, but this was still what it was. Take out the nails on the chalk board corny bullshit, and I actually probably don’t mind the ‘Dean’ gimmick to be honest.

Match Two
Bob Holly and Savio Vega vs. Kama and Tatanka w/Ted DiBiase

Vega and Holly are such a terrible pairing. Even during the entrance, they just look off. Holly with his long hair is smiling to hard, which just doesn’t suit him at all, and Vega tries to move his hips, but his dancing is awful. And this is coming from somebody with two left feet. As for the match itself, when I look at the four names involved, I expect a bad match if I’m honest. Somehow, this was worse than what my expectations going in were. Everybody is just sloppy. Barely anything is hit right or smoothly, and even Holly, who arguably can be solid on a really good day, is no good here. In the end, Holly comes off the top and Kama catches him and nails a Powerslam to get the win. Kama barely gets this right, kind of collapsing as he catches Holly, so the Powerslam almost becomes a weird catch and roll type thing. Yeah, not good. ½*

In the back, Razor Ramon cuts a promo on Dean Douglas. Razor says that Douglas has his attention and that if he wants to take him to school, the classroom will be his house and he’s going to carve Douglas up. I think the heat building tonight for this match has actually been really good.

Match Three
Brian Walsh vs. Jean Pierre Lafitte

PCO. Yay. Anybody who read my ECW BTB back at a now closed forum knows I like PCO. The pirate character is pretty terrible if we’re honest, although for some reason I dig that he’s feuding with Bret Hart because he stole his glasses and his jacket. Plus, surely their match will be good when they wrestle at IN Your House. Anyway, not a lot to say about this one. A complete squash and after Le Cannonball, PCO gets the win. **

We get a pre tape from WWF President Gorilla Monsoon and he talks about the main event of In Your House which will see WWF Champion Diesel team with WWF Intercontinental Champion Shawn Michaels to face tag champs Owen Hart and Yokozuna. All titles are on the line, and Monsoon makes it clear that whether the match ends by DQ, count out or pinfall or submission, the winners will win the belts and titles will change hands at In Your House. I like the concept.

Match Four
WWF Tag Team Championship Match
Owen Hart and Yokozuna (c) w/Mr. Fuji and Jim Cornette vs. Men On A Mission

This ones hard to watch not so much because of the quality, after all there was a crappier tag match earlier on the show. The issue with this one is that it’s two heel teams against each other and there isn’t really a team that has any sort of relatability to get the crowd behind them. So we get a relatively dead crowd because they have no idea who to actually make noise for. The most exciting thing that happens in the early stages is right at the beginning when Mabel and Yokozuna have a stare down. That’s the main attraction here really. Which obviously means Mo does most the work for his team. And despite his good Owen Hart is, not even he can carry Mo to a good match. I guess the moments where Yoko got in and beat the hell out of Mo were fun, but otherwise this just wasn’t fun. In the end, Mo and Owen are the legal men, so Yoko knocks Mabel to the floor and then drops a Leg Drop across the neck of Mo. That’s enough for Owen to get the pin as Yoko stops Mabel from being able to break up the count. Another not good match here. *1/2

After the match, Vince McMahon gets in the ring and interviews the tag champs and Jim Cornette. Cornette talks about how all the titles are on the line for the first time ever. Cornette thinks that Shawn and Diesel won’t be able to coexist, like last time they teamed up, meaning they will try and protect their own titles instead of working as a team. Good promo from Cornette, smart to add the idea that there could be dissension between Diesel and Shawn heading into the pay per view. It adds intrigue.

I actually thought this was solid. Ramon/Kid was solid, and whilst there was some terrible wrestling, I thought the booking was on point here. Some good hype for the PPV main event and Douglas/Ramon. Solid.

Stojy

Reaction score
WCW Monday Nitro
September 18th, 1995
Johnson City, Tennessee

Opening commentary to open the show and then “FELLAS GET GRANDMA OUT OF THE BATHROOM BECAUSE IF YOU’RE NOT WATCHING THIS, YOU GOT A BUM STEER”. Okay, thanks Mongo.

Also calling out that Vader is still in the opening credits even though he’s been fired for a little while now. Good job, WCW.

As the opening commentary spiel continued, an ambulance sound is heard so Eric Bischoff throws it back to Mean Gene. An ambulance arrives, which is the way Hogan left Fall Brawl, but Kevin Sullivan and The Giant step out of this one. The Giant mocks Hogan for having to leave in an ambulance and talks about how good last night felt. He put his hands around Hogan’s neck and Hogan melted like putty. Sullivan talks about how The Giant is the one true immortal. Gene claims that The Giants father would be disappointed, but he says his father would be right beside him, helping destroy Hulkamania. Also there’s a part here where The Giant holds up his fingers and holy shit, this mans fingers are fucking huge. Anyway, this was a nice way to start the show, playing on the big time ending to last night’s pay per view.

The American Males come out to face The Bluebloods, but The Bluebloods are attacked in the aisle by new tag champs, Harlem Heat. After beating up Bobby Eaton, they head to the ring, looking pretty angry considering they are the champs. Thankfully, Booker T, not Stevie Ray gets the mic and states that The Bluebloods shouldn’t have been here in the first place. He asks why people are fighting for the right to face other teams that aren’t the champions. Harlem Heat are top of the food chain, so if these punks (American Males) want to fight anybody, they can fight Booker and Stevie, and they will take them out. He says they’ll give them a title shot and turn up the heat on Monday Nitro. I like this angle.

Match One
WCW Tag Team Championship Match
Harlem Heat (c) w/Sister Sherri vs. American Males

From a booking standpoint, I don’t necessarily agree with this. As a young, relatively generic face team, American Males are in no position to have a title shot, considering they only made their debut on TV as a team a few days earlier. With that being said, the idea of this title match being unplanned from a kayfabe perspective, is an awesome way of further putting over the unpredictability of live Nitro. This is what it is for five minutes. I guess it’s decent, not awful but certainly not good either. Harlem Heat definitely looks like the stronger team throughout, as they should, and when Booker hits a Scissors Kick, Bischoff starts talking about K1 Kickboxing on commentary lol. In the end, Stevie gets rid of Riggs and Booker tries to get Sherri to use her shoe on Bagwell, but Col. Parker comes out and Sherri purposely falls off the apron and into his arms. The two begin making out as Parker carries Sherri to the back. This distracts Booker and he takes to long setting up a Pumphandle Slam, allowing Bagwell to reverse and crash on top of Booker for the shock upset. I’m torn on the booking of this one. A shock title change one night after new champs is again, a great way to put over the fact that WCW are willing to put anything on Nitro. I dig it. However, American Males truly have no right and aren’t the quality of a team that should be anywhere near the tag straps. Anyway, not the worst but not good either. **

After the break, Mean Gene brings Ric Flair out to the ring for an interview and Pillman/Flair is also announced for tonight’s main event. Flair says that Arn Anderson broke the code. It was okay to feud amongst themselves, but now he’s brought an outsider into it, and he has broken the code. He has betrayed the symbol of excellence. They were going to settle it within the family, but Arn had a bad idea. Tonight, Flair’s going to chop Pillman so hard he’s going to think he’s a Cincinnati Bengal again and Boomer Esiason will feel it all the way in Long Island. Then after that, right here, he’ll find Double A and kick his ass. Another good promo from Flair but this abrupt turn to have Flair face and Arn heel doesn’t really resonate with me. Doesn’t make sense with how the Fall Brawl match was built either so that’s a little disappointing.

Paul Orndorff is in full Mr. Wonderful mode now and he has some EPIC theme music. Go check it out.

Match Two
Paul Orndorff vs. Johnny B Badd

Both these guys are awful at this point. Badd can get carried to a good match with the right opponent, but Orndorff at this point is well and truly passed it. Not sure how he seems to be getting himself a push at this point. I’m going to be a little more brutal here, this sucked. They go back and forth for six and a half minutes and on an episode that has Flair/Pillman on it, this monstrosity is the longest match of the night. Awful decision making there. Anyway, the ending comes about when Badd went for a Sunset Flip, and Orndorff almost falls, but instead he maintains his balance, folded Badd’s legs and sat down to get the pin. They botch the pin a bit to as Badd’s shoulders are clearly up as the referee counts the three. Also, from a booking perspective, Badd just went through a thirty-minute match with Pillman on PPV to earn the right to a US Title shot. Why then job him out to Orndorff of all people the next night? Shoddy booking, and an even worse match. ½*

After the match, when they are showing the replay, Mongo seems really interested in the pinfall and the way it happened, asking Heenan if he can do it to him lol. Fucking Mongo.

We now get a clip from in between takes at Baywatch where Randy Savage is bench pressing when Sullivan attacks him and starts by pushing the bar onto the chest of Randy. Sullivan then throws sand in Randy’s face until some randoms, and Ric Flair intervene and pull Sullivan away. Flair keeps calling Sullivan devil during this as well, which I thought was a nice way to put over the devious nature of Sullivan’s character. Especially when it’s somebody like Flair, who has a fair tolerance for dodgy actions as the dirtiest player in the game. We then transition to an in-ring interview where Mean Gene has Randy Savage with him. Savage says that he refused Flair’s help because they must have their own issues going on, but he says he will destroy Sullivan. Savage says the only way to kill a snake is to cut off its head. Okerlund then asks about what happened at Fall Brawl between Savage and Luger (Luger accidentally hit Savage during War Games). Savage wishes Hogan recovery from his injury but then says he is a horrible judge of character because last night in War Games, Luger cheap shotted him and there’s no way around it. Gene says he spoke to some of the wrestlers watching the match last night and it seemed unintentional. Savage wonders if it was Sting, Luger and Jimmy Hart saying that, and he says the three of them will be joining The Dungeon of Doom. This leads to Luger himself coming out and confronting Savage. Luger says Savage his paranoid, he did his bit for the team last night and they won. Luger says at least he is up front with his personal agenda, he wants the World Title, but he’s not hiding it from Hogan. Luger asks Savage if he wants to be champion and if he’s to scared to tell Hogan. Savage says Luger makes a good point, of course he wants to be champion, and he’s got no problem telling Hogan or anybody else (Then why was it such a big deal when Luger said it). Savage then says as far as personal agendas go, they can settle theirs right now and he wants the bell to be rung. Mean Gene loses his shit, trying to keep the piece, as Savage slaps Luger and the two almost comes to blows. Another nice piece here with Randy continuing to accuse Lex. Enjoying this angle for the most part, but Luger definitely poked holes in Savage’s logic tonight, and it did make Savage come across as just paranoid because he had no real answers. Interested to see where this goes next.

We see another clip from before Fall Brawl, when The Giant runs over Hogan’s motorcycle with a monster truck.

Match Three
Ric Flair vs. Brian Pillman

This was good because it’s these two, but they really needed more time to shine. Makes me even more annoyed that Orndorff/Badd got as long as it did. They’re really stiff with the chops, to the point where Flair’s chest is all messed up by the end of this. You can see the blood forming underneath the skin. Honestly, Pillman doesn’t really get a lot here, and it feels more like an extended Flair squash if anything. After a brawl on the outside, Flair takes over and basically runs through his standard offense from there without any resistance. Pillman had a solid match at Fall Brawl, and then helped Arn win to become a part of a really hot angle to build some momentum. Crazy they’d just kill it like this the next night. Figure Four gets locked in and Pillman doesn’t even fight in the hold, basically submitting right away. Disappointing in terms of booking and it needed more time to be good, but these two are never going to put on a bad show. **1/2

After the match, Flair gets a mic and calls out Arn Anderson. When Arn doesn’t appear, Flair dares him to show up next week because Flair’s coming for his ass. We already had some promo time from Flair, so makes sense to keep this short and concise. Also gives us the hook for next week as we now expect a Flair/Anderson confrontation of sorts to take place. Smart way to end the show.

A solid episode, I guess. Nice advancement in terms of Savage/Luger stuff and the tag title switch was a shocking start. Flair as a face feels a bit cold though, and I was disappointed at how dirty they did Pillman, and none of the wrestling was really any good unfortunately.

The Verdict

In terms of angle advancement, Nitro still has the edge, as it truly feels like the only thing WWF has going on that’s getting showcased on Raw is the Kid/Ramon/Douglas stuff. With that being said, Kid/Ramon was better than anything else that was put on by both companies this week, and that alone was enough to give Raw its first victory.

Raw1
Nitro2

RDT

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
What really hurt RAW in these first few weeks is that the 9/11 and 9/18 shows were both taped on 8/28, before Nitro even debuted. It was very smart of WCW to begin Nitro when they did because of this and because they were unopposed on 9/4.

The WWF then gets stuck in this 4 RAWs a shot taping cycle, and you'll see some pretty rough "fourth shows" soon.

Stojy

Reaction score
What really hurt RAW in these first few weeks is that the 9/11 and 9/18 shows were both taped on 8/28, before Nitro even debuted. It was very smart of WCW to begin Nitro when they did because of this and because they were unopposed on 9/4.

The WWF then gets stuck in this 4 RAWs a shot taping cycle, and you'll see some pretty rough "fourth shows" soon.
Nitro definitely had the perfect storm starting when they did and being unopposed. It's why the Luger appearance and the need for that big surprise to lure people in was even more important. That first episode of Nitro in particular has to be the most well booked debut show of any kind for any wrestling company.

Didn't realize they were doing four Raws like that, that's insane. Wonder if there's anywhere which will tell me which shows were the 'fourth' show for context if I find something that's really sucky to sit through.

Update - I've just finished watching In Your House and have some dot points that I need to flesh out a little more but feeling way too tired to do it right now. It'll come sometime during the week hopefully.

RDT

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Nitro definitely had the perfect storm starting when they did and being unopposed. It's why the Luger appearance and the need for that big surprise to lure people in was even more important. That first episode of Nitro in particular has to be the most well booked debut show of any kind for any wrestling company.

Didn't realize they were doing four Raws like that, that's insane. Wonder if there's anywhere which will tell me which shows were the 'fourth' show for context if I find something that's really sucky to sit through.

Update - I've just finished watching In Your House and have some dot points that I need to flesh out a little more but feeling way too tired to do it right now. It'll come sometime during the week hopefully.
Cagematch can tell you the taping cycles.

Stojy

Reaction score
WWF In Your House 3
September 24th, 1995
Saginaw, Michigan

Match One
Savio Vega vs. Waylon Mercy

Waylon Mercy was an awesome character for WWF circa 1995. The whole acting like a good guy with the creepy edge to him was played really well, a shame it didn’t last long. This one was pretty slow and boring if I’m honest. It felt like maybe Waylon could have good a decent match out of the right opponent, but Vega just isn’t it. Savio put on a pretty ordinary performance here which made this match hard to watch. Felt like they used to many Sleeper Holds as well, definitely not the pace of a match you want to open the show. There’s a spot here with Vega hits a German Suplex, and it just may be the worst one I’ve ever seen. Literally just looked like two guys rolling over backwards. In the end, Savio beats Mercy (ugh) with a Spinning Heel Kick, and I guess at least that kind of looked okay. That’s really positive for Savio. Not a good start to the show. *1/4

In the backstage area, Dok Hendrix announces that Owen Hart has not arrived at the building tonight. President Gorilla Monsoon says that Jim Cornette will not get one over on him, and the main event will happen tonight with or without Owen. Obviously Cornette loses his mind at this. No Owen makes me sad.

Match Two
Henry Godwinn vs. Sid w/Ted DiBiase

This was a match for sure… Not a lot to say about this one really. Sid is one of the greatest ‘aura’ guys of all time in my opinion, but he barely looked interested here. If I compare this to some of the performances and energy, he’d bring in 96-97, the difference is crazy. Just some semi acceptable low end power wrestling here. I will give them credit for having a hint of psychology involved here. Sid Powerbombed Godwinn on the concrete floor a few weeks back, so he’s got an injured back. Sid worked on the back for a little while so thumbs up for that. Otherwise, not good but at least a slight step up from the opener. In the end, DiBiase trips up Henry and it allows Sid to put him down with the Powerbomb. Two misses to start the show. *1/2

After the match, Sid and DiBiase can’t agree over who gets to slop Godwinn, they both want to do it. Before they can, Bam Bam Bigelow runs out and attacks Sid, but then Kama runs out to attack Bigelow. The numbers advantage is strong, and Sid and Kama get on top of Bigelow, but they completely forget about Godwinn. Henry comes from behind, snatches the bucket from DiBiase and DiBiase gets slopped. Fun little moment here but I have no interest in seeing a Godwinn/Corporation feud continue.

In the back, Dox Hendrix is once again standing by with Gorilla Monsoon and Jim Cornette. Monsoon gives Cornette two options. If Owen doesn’t show up, Yokozuna can defend the tag titles on his own. Cornette isn’t a fan of that idea. Option two is that Cornette can find a replacement for the night.

Match Three
The British Bulldog vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

I actually really enjoyed this. Thought it was a nice solid match between these two. Even though he slowly slipped further down the card as the year went on, Bigelow had a really good 1995 in the WWF and this was a prime example of it here. As for Bulldog, this is a fresh heel turn, he’s in the middle of a push and he delivers here. Initially Bulldog’s power gets put over, as he’s able to kind of bully Bam around, but he’s unable to sustain and eventually starts working on the knee. Bigelow sells the knee throughout the whole match which isn’t something that happens very often around this time, so that’s a big thumbs up from me. I’m a sucker for limb selling, and a hater when it’s not there. A few rest holds thrown in, but it felt like some really effective match pacing instead of blatant time wasting which is good. A nice finishing run as well, fairly entertaining and Bulldog catches Bigelow out of the corner with a Powerslam to get the win. **3/4

Before the next match, Bob Backlund makes his way out to educate the plebians and he even throws in the word exacerbate because he’s awesome. Anyway, he basically just does the in-ring intro for Dean Douglas, but I love the idea of Backlund/Douglas, two men of knowledge having some sort of relationship.

Match Four
Razor Ramon vs. Dean Douglas w/Bob Backlund

After hearing some pretty negative things about this match previously, I don’t think it was bad as I thought it would be. It wasn’t good by any means, and maybe it could have been better if it wasn’t so long. Another one of these matches where it just feels like these two, in this environment, don’t have any business going fifteen minutes against each other. Ramon works the arm of Douglas in the early stages, before just randomly dropping it, and Douglas doesn’t sell it anyway. At least once Douglas gets in control, he puts in some solid work focusing on the back of Razor. Part of the problem here was that Ramon’s selling wasn’t all that great either, in fact the word non existent comes to mind. Eventually Razor hits the Razor’s Edge, but Backlund grabs the referee to stop him from counting the three. 123 Kid then runs down and slides into the ring and counts the three and Ramon thinks it’s over, not realising that Kid wasn’t the referee. Once he gets up and sees it’s Kid, Ramon is annoyed and throws him out of the ring which is fair enough in my opinion. Before Razor can refocus, Douglas comes from behind with a botched Roll Up to get the win. Yeah, not as bad as I expected it to be based on word of mouth but still not good. **1/4

After the match, Razor pulls Kid into the ring and slaps him, and Kid slaps him back. It looks like the two friends/former friends are going to come to blows but they get separated. Since starting to watch, I’ve enjoyed the Razor/Kid stuff. Probably the most elaborate angle WWF has been running with.

In the back, Diesel and Shawn Michaels cut a promo. They talk about Owen Hart not being here tonight and how it’s annoying but when the main event is over, two dudes with attitude will become two chaps with four straps. Nothing really new from the promo cut on Raw the other week.

Match Five
Bret Hart vs. Jean Pierre Lafitte

So from what I remember, this is the second match in their series and this one is better than the first. Feud has been built pretty simply with Bret pissed off because Pierre the pirate keeps stealing his stuff. To put over his fire and anger, Hart starts with a Tope Suicida and a lot of brawling heavy/angry offense. It eventually settles into more of a standard match because it’s impossible to keep that intensity for an entire match, but it was great psychology in the early going. Pierre’s control segment is on point as well, and there’s a few things during Bret’s comeback and the ending that I really liked. Point one is that PCO keeps trying to cut Bret’s momentum with big high risk moves, feeling like he needs that one impactful move to finish things off. For example, PCO tries a Flipping Senton to the floor and Bret moves, and PCO lands flat on his back on the floor. This was an epic bump. Point two is that we never got a wrestler just getting to run through their five moves of doom, as every time Bret looked to be in control, PCO would find a way to counter. Just a really fun match, can’t compliment these two enough on this. In the end, PCO misses a high risk move again, this time Le Cannonball, and Bret uniquely locks the Sharpshooter from the mat making PCO tap. Really good stuff from these two. ***1/2

In the back, Dok Hendrix is once again with Jim Cornette and Gorilla Monsoon where it’s announced that The British Bulldog will be the man replacing Owen Hart tonight.

Match Six
Triple Header
All Titles On The Line
The British Bulldog and Yokozuna (c) w/Mr. Fuji and Jim Cornette vs. Shawn Michaels (c) and Diesel (c)

I really enjoyed this one as well. Two matches in a row. Yay. It wasn’t perfect with the ending in particular sticking out like a sore thumb, but I’ll get to that. I try and give my match ratings a little bit on circumstance and this one probably gets a slightly high rating because I really didn’t expect much from it before I watched it. I’m not even entirely sure why but I just didn’t. In a lot of tag matches, you can kind of big the good pairings and bad pairings when different combinations are in the ring, but it didn’t feel like that here. All pairings really delivered, with Bulldog having a standout performance again. It shows this new push had him really motivated. Being the smaller man of the team, Michaels was the man to get isolated for most of the contest and he was great as face in peril. Diesel’s hot tag is full of fire as well and he has some really crisp exchanges with Bulldog. It actually looks like Bulldog is about to get the win, when Shawn interrupts him pinning Diesel with an Elbow from the top rope. Before Diesel can pin Bulldog, Owen Hart appears because apparently, he was here all along. SWERVE~! Owen leaps off the top but Diesel punches him in the gut and hits the Jackknife. Diesel pins Owen, who wasn’t even a competitor in the match, and the referee sees it and just blatantly ignores and counts the three anyway. Two Dudes with Attitude are now the champs, but this ending was illogical and definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. Could have been to the level of the previous match if not for the shoddy booking. Still somewhat of a hidden gem here though. A good match despite it’s faulty finish. ***

Three good matches and three not so good matches, with one in particular being awful. A middling show here really, with a lot of the feuds/angles clearly set to continue after this.