Sting vs Hogan from Starrcade 1997, is theee definition of "letdown"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rell

Reaction score
Not sure how many of you actually remember this, but it was a disaster. WCW hyped this match for months. The speculation was overwhelming, it was supposed to be the fight of the century, instead, it turned out to be a dud, with one of the most pitiful finishes I've ever seen. We've all heard the conspiracy theories (Hulk Hogan paid Nick Patrick to sabotage the match, because he was booked to lose) and I wouldn't put it past Hogan. Whatever the case was, the match was pitiful, and pretty much overshadowed Bret Harts debut.

Come to think about it, this entire event was a letdown. Nash vs The Giant was pushed as "Giant vs Giant" and was almost as hyped as the main event, disappointingly, the match didn't happen.

Does anyone agree? Is there a moment more disappointing than this?

Soulpower

This was dissapointing because this was a match that if done right could have saved WCW. Instead, they decided to go with a "screwjob" because it was more important to take a shot at the WWF than to actually make the fans happy.

The only other match that I could say was just as dissapointing was the Goldberg-Hogan match. Mostly because it was a match we all wanted to see and it took place on just another episode of Nitro and it was treated like just another title match.

I would say that Hogan vs Piper and Hogan vs Warrior have to rank up there. People weren't expecting a lot from either of those matches, and somehow WCW proved everyone wrong by delivering two god-awful matches.

KenFan4life

Reaction score
Man...

Like back in 06 when i started getting back into wrestling, i was on wwe.com trying to catch up with things, by reading like history of the royal rumble and seeing all the stats and then I'd read History of Wrestlemanias and such, and like i went by the ones i missed out on(03-06) and such, i noticed on WM XX they had like, Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar with Stone Cold Steve Austin as special guest ref and I was like "NO-Fucking-Way that I missed out on THAT!"....
and ya know, so like I'm thinking to myself
"I gotta get my hands on that!"

so at wal mart , about a week later
I buy tha Mania-Anthology Volume 4(manias 2000-to-2004) and such, so like

I skip the other ones, and I watch Wrestlemania 20
and i sit through most of all the matches...and I'm looking forward to this huge-f'n Match up....all excited and such,
First I've gotta flip tha disc....which kind've took me outt've the mood a bit and such,

anyways

the match....well, damn!
someone could've told me that it sucked!

cause man, i was sitting there, like "Wtf?....c'mon dudes! fight!."
and well geez

I felt ripped-off and such...

Bigfella

Reaction score
^^^

What does that have to do with Hulk Hogan or Sting or even WCW??

Airfixx

^^^Big-Match let downs, perhaps?

LOL @ the Brock/Goldberg story.... Dude, the 'warnings' are out there... Seriously, do a 'terms' search on this site.

I personaly thought it was hilarious... A big man like Brock close to tears cos the 'nasty' fans turned on him!

Re; Hogan/Sting... Yup, a right mess of an ending. I've never watched much WCW, but can anyone suggest a WCW ME from the Monday Night Wars years that didn't suck?

Seriously, all you hear is this one sucked, that one sukced... Even Bischoff says that their ME's consistently failed to deliver the goods... Surely with the roster they had they pulled off a decent ME once in a while?

Final Verdict

Reaction score
As a big Hogan fan the Starcade entrances honestly outshined the match. I think those may have been the two back to back best main event entrances for a major ppv. Then the match after that was awful. You have Hogan in his late 40's at the time carrying the match because Sting shows up after a year off out of shape and all screwed up from his drug problems put on probably his worst match ever. Then they felt they needed to come up with a way to involve Bret Hart in the match and to use some screwjob ending to do it.

Chuck Taylor's Grenade

Seriously, all you hear is this one sucked, that one sukced... Even Bischoff says that their ME's consistently failed to deliver the goods... Surely with the roster they had they pulled off a decent ME once in a while?

They could have except their main event was usually Hogan vs. Luger, Nash vs. Sting, Savage vs. Sting, Sting vs. Hogan, Sting vs. Hall, Hogan vs. Giant, Giant vs. Nash, Luger vs. Savage, Luger vs. Hall, Luger vs. Nash, Sting and Luger vs. Hall and Nash, Hogan and Savage vs. Sting and Luger, Hogan vs. Piper, Piper vs. Savage, Piper vs. Hall, Piper vs. Nash.

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
The match should've gone Sting no-sells everything, stinger splash, stinger splash, death drop goes to lock in the Deathlock, nWo runs out, he fights them off, Hogan trys to cheat, gets death locked again and taps out like a baby in about two seconds.

The way WCW built that match, they made sting the savior of WCW and in the match they made him look like a chump. Instead of trying a screw job finish they should've just had Sting kick out of the legdrop.

Oh well, the built up was still great. We'll always have that I guess.