Steve Austin Says AEW Is Good For WWE

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Buffy

The Vampire Slayer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
bretthart
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
While NXT recently migrated away from Wednesday nights, All Elite Wrestling has still provided consistent competition to WWE. AEW is still a ways away from rivaling Vince McMahon’s ratings, but their impact on the professional wrestling industry cannot be understated.

Speaking with Wrestling Inc. Managing Editor Nick Hausman on the Wrestling Inc. Daily, WWE Hall of Famer ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin says he doesn’t see the two promotions as direct rivals, but rather in competition simply because they produce wrestling.

“Man, I love it,” Austin said. “I think it’s competition by proxy just because they’re wrestling, WWE’s wrestling, but I don’t think they’re directly trying to compete. But in essence, they are and I love it because it gives more people within any of this jobs. It gives more people a chance to work. And it makes WWE, you know, forces them to push the envelope rather than just sit back and push out content. Competition makes everybody better.”

As a pillar of the Attitude Era during the heights of the Monday Night Wars, Austin knows a thing or two about competing with a rival promotion. While the Texas Rattlesnake’s team obviously wanted to get the weekly ratings W’s, Austin says he saw the competition as means of encouragement.

“The product is better because you’re forced,” Austin said. “‘What are these cats doing over here? This friggin’ stuff, we gotta up it a little bit!’ There’s checks and balances. I remember when we put WCW out of business, I remember going up to Vince and saying, ‘Was it our mission to put them out of business?’ They kicked our a– for two years, you know, but I didn’t know that was the mission! We just wanted to win the ratings war. Of course, he ends up buying them for pennies on the dollar, that’s the genius of Vince McMahon. But to answer your question, yes, AEW is a good thing. It’s a good thing for everybody, including WWE.”

Austin admitted to Hausman that he does not recall McMahon’s exact reasoning for buying WCW, but he does remember the WWE Chairman referencing his rivals’ lack of “foresight” as to why they perished.

“Oh, I don’t know what kind of answer he gave me, it was so long ago,” Austin said. “It was like when I used to ask him about putting all these guys out of business and he goes, ‘Steve, I didn’t put everybody out of business. They simply didn’t have the foresight or the vision-’ and he goes on and on and on. Vince is the master of the Jedi mind tricks. Vince is a super interesting guy, you should talk to him one of these days. I have so much respect and love for that guy, it’s unbelievable.”

While the old rivals don’t keep in as consistent contact as they used to, Austin mentioned he does reach out to Vince every now and then.

“He don’t even take my phone calls but let me tell you, back when I was working on top, when I called Vince, that phone didn’t ring a half time before he picked it up,” Austin said. “Now I’ll send him a text message and I’ll get an answer back in a couple of days.”
Source: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/04/steve-austin-says-aew-is-good-for-wwe/

Reactions: Doom

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Hmm kinda like that bit about Austin being upset to find out Vince's mission was to put WCW out of business lol I'm picturing it like some war movie with a guy yelling at his general though :lol

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I think AEW is good for wrestling in general just because its another alterative. It could be good for WWE long term in the way Austin discribes but I think to do that they need to find a way to appeal outside of their niche audience. My worry for them is that they might have already peaked and might struggle to get any bigger.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
None of these places are "upping the game" tho...it's a race to the bottom.

And Turner put WCW out of business....WWE just bought the lot.

Buffy

The Vampire Slayer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
bretthart
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
Both AEW and WWE are actually good for each other. You get alternatives. You get different kind of class of wrestlers, different type of wrestling stories and most importantly, storytelling. People are caught up in WWE vs AEW. That never take the time to actually think this is for the greater good on both parties. We the wrestling fans are supposed to be watching for the fun and to gain interest. So far this whole thing has did that for me. Gardner interest. Hopefully we get a collab of them working together so we all can get more fun stuff on our wrestling TV screens.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Both AEW and WWE are actually good for each other. You get alternatives. You get different kind of class of wrestlers, different type of wrestling stories and most importantly, storytelling. People are caught up in WWE vs AEW. That never take the time to actually think this is for the greater good on both parties. We the wrestling fans are supposed to be watching for the fun and to gain interest. So far this whole thing has did that for me. Gardner interest. Hopefully we get a collab of them working together so we all can get more fun stuff on our wrestling TV screens.

True, but its WWE that's been stale for years.

I disagree with Dezzy that its a race to the bottom. Reality is Indy promotions are never going to seriously compete with WWE. They don't need to. All they to do is thrive in their own right and give fans a alterantive.

Reactions: Buffy

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I mean it's good for the talent in the WWE to use AEW as leverage when contracts are coming up etc and eventually for the AEW talent too. Outside of that, I really don't think Vince bats an eyelid over AEW unless they start to hit mid 1 mil numbers when they finally become unopposed in a week or twos time whenever it is.