Sony back in the game

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Nation

In what is probably the most successful console re-launch in history, over half a million PS3 "slims" were sold last week worldwide according to our preliminary data - this represents over a 400% increase week on week (and a number of retailers in the US had already started selling the new model PS3 last week).

In Europe, some regions saw as much as a tenfold increase in PS3 sales (admittedly, sales had been low the previous week as consumers anticipated the new model launch) - around 250,000 units were sold in "other regions" (Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia etc) according to our preliminary data. In Japan, reports have already been independently confirmed from Famitsu magazine of over 150,000 units sold - twice as much as the previous best week for PS3. Sales in Americas also saw a large increase, over 125,000 units according to preliminary data (although this could be higher as more info comes in).

PS3 software also saw significant increases - many PS3 versions of multi-platform titles comfortably outselling their 360 counterparts this week. The big question will be how long can this bump be sustained for - we expect a fair dropoff next week but PS3 should remain ahead of 360 and Wii for most of September if not longer than that.

Stay tuned for more data as it comes in... and please note that this data is still preliminary at this stage. We can say with a fair amount of certainty that between 500,000 and 600,000 units were sold but will not know the exact figure until all of the finalised data is in. UK sales also went up 1000%.

So Nintendo going to drop that price anytime soon? These are the kinds of numbers that will bring the PS3's total sales up to the 360's. Over half a million when the PS3 is behind the 360 a few million is crazy. Not to mention the PS3 came out a year later and was the most expensive console for years. Some people are saying sales will go down but they won't. Not when we are so close to the holiday season. Then there a bunch of games that will increase the PS3's sales. Microsoft has already dropped their price and while they got an increase their sales haven't touched the PS3's this week. It's a great to see Sony back in the game. Not only back in the game but with the holidays and games coming they will probably catch up.

This Guy

I'm actually suprised. If you think about it, there have been 2 major price drops on the PS3 since it launched, and there have been at least 2 (that I can think of) on the 360. Yet the Wii is actually (at least in Canada) $10 more then what it was when it launched. I realize that overall it is the top selling system still, but even a $50 price drop I would have thought might have happened by now.

PS3 slims are definally selling very well (btw, Sony sent out a memo to retailers and new signs to replace the original ones we got months ago that we are not suposed to call this new system the slim. Its suposed to be called the 120 Gig model *dumb*) Its a great price point you figure for Blu-Ray player alone, though its not really any better then the existing models, but the price is right.

Oh and just so you know Nation, you were making fun of the 360 price drop just after the PS3 one, saying it was desperation. You might want to know that both Sony & Microsoft had made us aware of the price drops 4 months earlier and had even sent signs already for the stores to used to be kept aside until the price drop officially was announced. Microsoft had there's set up prior to Sony, so Microsoft didn't actually copy Sony. Sony actually moved theres up quicker in response to the Microsoft one. However its clear that both companies were aware of eachother's plans to do this and both just were trying to beat eachother to the punch. Sony managed to do so by making a last minute change...its also why the Street Date of September 1st got dropped and memo's were sent to sell them asap.

Nation

I've seen rumors of the PS3 slim far before the 360 elite price cut rumors. I guess Microsoft might be better at keeping a secret. But considering how many more people found out about the PS3 slim before the elite drop not keeping a secret was probably the best thing to do.

This Guy

I love Sony's scense of humor about how all there secrets get out. Those two commercials you posted, the one I haven't seen yet on TV, but I didn't find it that good. The other one about denying the price drop I see often and is a great commercial.

Nation

Yes it's pretty funny. Hopefully they will make another montage commercial that features exclusive PS3 games. The old ladies and gentlement commercial was well done. Now two years later they have a lot more exclusives out. They should show case Infamous, Uncharted 2, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, God of War 3 and LittleBigPlanet. Then show a a few big name blu ray movies. Really drive the blu ray format into the consumers minds. Of course cool PS3 effects would also be nice.

This Guy

the one exclusive I've been looking forward to is Mod Nation Racer, course that could be the Mario Kart fan in me speaking, but I still think it will do very well if Sony gets fully behind it for the launch like they did Little Big Planet

Quintastic One

Reaction score
And of course lets not forget the newly released Batman: Arkham Asylum. Which has broken the world record for "highest acclaimed comic book game of all time" above Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. I'm almost ALMOST tempted to pay 60 bucks for it. But I think with the known limited replay value, I might be safer renting it.

This Guy

Batman is still selling amazingly well even with the game being back up to the $70 price tag in Canada. Now the first 3 days in Canada it was only $40 and worth every dollar. I admit I already beat it and traded it in, because of as you said limited replay value, but you know what for me I would have paid $70 for it as well.

Nation

Yeah it's pretty good. They probably should have showed Killzone 2 and Infamous though. It's a good way to boost their sales. The Uncharted 2 commercial is also pretty good. I love the humor in the playstation commericals now. Not to long ago Sony had some weird commercials.

cdgfx84

Reaction score
I don't really care for the slim models I think the fat ps3's look alot better. I am switching to the PS3 mainly because of free online no matter how good 360 online service may be I am not going to pay for cable internet then pay another monthly fee just to play games online.

This Guy

Wooo, Sony has 30 comercials for the PS3 now, and they are all freaking funny. They showed them to us all at our conference. They were pretty funny. I wish I could remember them all. Saw the uncharted one. Oh there was one where a kid complains about his grandma watching movies all the time when he wants to play games. Pretty funny.