So I need help picking an EPL Team...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Halfbreed

Reaction score
I've been a football fan for several years now, thanks in part to my former Jamaican roommate during college who worshiped the game. My very first game, aside from the 1999 Women's World Cup Final was the Arsenal/Barcelona Champion's League final from 2006. My friend and I had a nasty falling out a year or so later, but I retained my interest in the game despite America's God-awful turn in Germany in 2006 and the flat performance against Ghana in 2010.

Here's the skivvy: during that time, I've never really chosen "my team" from the pack. I tend to float between games here or there whenever they're on television, but I never managed to find that one team that really made me stop and go "Wow, I need to follow these guys!" My big thing is trying to avoid the MLS if I can—I know that the competition is improving each year thanks to the growing fandom in the sport here, but the EPL is so far and above anything American soccer can offer.

(Because the men's national side are so rarely relevant, I do follow the Women's Team to the detriment of the respect my other football fan-friends hold for me. I have to root for something U.S.-related that doesn't suck.)

I need to pick a favorite team, preferably from the Premier League since I would prefer not to have to watch broadcasts in French, German or Spanish. Plus I also figure with the season about ready to go, now's a perfect time to get into it. I have no real vested knowledge in EPL traditions, which is intentional to kind of grow organically into English football if at all possible. To anyone who has a rooting interest in the EPL, I'm turning the floor over to you to convince me which team I should root for. Most convincing argument (serious or humorous) wins, basically. The only caveats are as follows:

1. No Team In Danger of Relegation
Because my viewing options are limited overseas in America, I need a team that has a chance of getting on one of the local broadcast networks that play games (FOX, FOX Soccer, ESPN, FSN).

2. No Manchester United
This is the homer choice, going to the most successful team. I can't stand the idea of being a bandwagon jumper, and the Red Sox fan in me compels me to go against this pick. The only reason I left Manchester City as an option is because of their relative history of irrelevance.

3. No Arsenal
If not for the falling out I had with my friend, I'd probably be an Arsenal fan today. Just too many painful memories.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
2. No Manchester United
This is the homer choice, going to the most successful team. I can't stand the idea of being a bandwagon jumper, and the Red Sox fan in me compels me to go against this pick. The only reason I left Manchester City as an option is because of their relative history of irrelevance.

:mad2:

Well if you HAVE to support someone else, within your criteria I'd look into Everton and Tottenham Hotspur. Two decent teams who won't be going down any time soon. Next season might be a frustrating one for Spurs fans though, Evertonians on the other are quite used to tepid starts before finishing strong.

Everton are the better run club, long term manager and have a lack of debt. However, working within their means virtually prevents them form ever cracking the top 4. Spurs spend more freely but go through more managers in the process. They almost cracked the top 4 last year but choked at the last minute.

Other teams to look at are Newcastle United, Aston Villa, Sunderland, Fulham & Stoke. I'll go into more detail on any of this lot on request.

Halfbreed

Reaction score
:mad2:

Well if you HAVE to support someone else, within your criteria I'd look into Everton and Tottenham Hotspur. Two decent teams who won't be going down any time soon. Next season might be a frustrating one for Spurs fans though, Evertonians on the other are quite used to tepid starts before finishing strong.

Everton are the better run club, long term manager and have a lack of debt. However, working within their means virtually prevents them form ever cracking the top 4. Spurs spend more freely but go through more managers in the process. They almost cracked the top 4 last year but choked at the last minute.

Other teams to look at are Newcastle United, Aston Villa, Sunderland, Fulham & Stoke. I'll go into more detail on any of this lot on request.

My big problem with choosing Manchester United (and I do believe it to be a problem) is that it's way too easy for diehard fans to dismiss. The second they see an American coming on board with Man U, they think "this homer is just picking the most famous EPL squad". I'd rather not make a statement by choosing a team like, say, Ipswich Town who hasn't been back to the Premier League for ten years. But I also don't want to be dismissed simply because Manchester United is so easily recognizable.

It's not that I dismiss Manchester United outright, either. Ruud van Nistelrooy was one of my favorite international players during my first years watching, so there's a definite connection to United there (still miss him playing). And rooting for Ferdinand, Rooney and de Gea for the next several years would be incredible, don't get me wrong.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I personally support Aston Villa and I find it much more enjoyable than supporting the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U etc. If I were you, I'd look towards someone like Fulham or Sunderland. They are the sort of team that if they have a good year they could be battling for Europa League qualification. They're both good passing teams also.

Halfbreed

Reaction score
I personally support Aston Villa and I find it much more enjoyable than supporting the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U etc. If I were you, I'd look towards someone like Fulham or Sunderland. They are the sort of team that if they have a good year they could be battling for Europa League qualification. They're both good passing teams also.

For a time, I considered choosing Birmingham City due to my devotion to Emile Heskey and the Blues in FIFA 2006, but I elected not to go that route on account of Birmingham not having a very good track record for success. I considered both Everton and Fullham, but I'm still trying to figure it out.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Don't go for someone who expects success because then you will be disappointed if they don't achieve that expectation. Go for someone like Fulham so if they do well than you will be delighted.