Smarkism - Rock's Return Energizes The Wrestling World

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Smarkism: Rock's Return Energizes The Wrestling World

Capture-7-1.jpg

It's hard to explain how one night can capture the imagination of so many wrestling fans in so many ways. It's hard to comprehend how one event can spark the imagination of millions (and millions) of fans, whilst setting the Road to Wrestlemania on fire. Last night, though, showed us exactly how wrestling can still do all of those things.

After seven long, long years, The Rock finally came home to WWE. When his famous music erupted from the PA system, the arena exploded. The Rock stepped out onto the stage and the energy of the wrestling world surged like it hasn't done in years. The Rock stood, absorbed the atmosphere in the arena, and then began striding down to the ring. To me, at least, wrestling felt "right" again.

7-1.jpg

I was 9 years old when I first watched wrestling. The first wrestler I ever watched was The Rock. Every one of my favourite WWF moments featured The Rock. Every match I ever remember caring about as a 10 year old kid featured The Rock. Wrestlemania 17, which in my opinion is the greatest PPV of all time, was headlined by none other than The Rock (in fact, that made Austin's heel turn all the more crushing for that same 10 year old!).

My point is, I was 'spoilt' being brought up watching The Rock in WWF. After seven long years of Cena, Batista and Orton, I had grown a little cynical of WWE and the direction the company has been heading. Now though, I feel better about the product. I know, The Rock's return is unlikely to extend beyond Wrestlemania, but I feel that it's a significant sign that WWE were willing to give The Rock a license to say 'Fuck PG' (not literally). It's a sign that they haven't lost touch with all reaches of their fanbase.

I wasn't alone in reacting like a true fanboy. Wrestlers and wrestling fans alike took to social media to proclaim how much they loved Rock's return promo. How could anybody not love it? Nobody can cut a promo like The Rock, and he proved that last night. It took him mere moments inside the squared circle to feel right at home again. He announced his return and immediately sounded like The Rock we all know, and love, when he mentioned that the one man Vince wanted to electrify the world at Wrestlemania was none other than... Justin Bieber. Then there was everything that followed. The jokes, the raw emotion, the fan reaction. It was all perfect. Seeing The Rock rip Michael Cole after so many years was beyond awesome too. Perhaps the most significant thing about Rock's promo, though, was his mocking of Cena. Cena has been untouchable in WWE for years (mainly because he's been their top guy since 2005), no babyface has had the license to cut a promo on Cena and openly mock him. The Rock did though. He mocked John Cena and the way John Cena market him. It was refreshing in so many different ways, since WWE has lacked that 'edge' for a long time.

4-1.jpg

Perhaps it's a sign of changing times; WWE probably recognize the need to diversify their product and rather than adding another (lame) gimmick PPV, they may be finally taking action in the right way. By allowing such a popular figure to mock Cena, what are WWE telling us? That they want to add a little of the 'surprise factor' to their product? That they may be laying the foundations for a Cena heel turn? Or nothing at all?

Whatever happens with Cena, Rock's return will live forever in the memory of wrestling fans. Everybody watching the show was sheerly immersed in everything Rock had to say. He cut a once-in-a-lifetime promo, which should never be forgotten. It should be studied and played over and over again. People should never forget February 14th 2011. I think it meant a lot to The Rock too. The emotion was clear for all to see. Every wrestling fan will have wanted The Rock back and we finally got what we wanted last night. That was summed up in the cheering he recieved all night. The crowd erupted upon hearing his music. They cheered everything he said. It was obvious just how much wrestling fans still love The Rock. That was never in doubt, but the fact that this one night has been so well recieved by so many, confirms that there's very few men in the business more popular than The Rock. Who is?

WWE needed a big name for Wrestlemania. After a disappointing year in tough economic conditions, they probably knew that the numbers would be underwhelming unless they got somebody who could prop their sales up. They certainly delivered. Now, Wrestlemania has a massive amount of interest at such an early stage. It's quite incredible how one night really can make all the difference.

As a wrestling fan, I've not felt the same way about wrestling since I was a kid watching guys like The Rock every week. Last night, for 20 minutes, I became a 9 year old kid again. I listened more intently than I had in years. Hell, I was touched by the night because it reminded me that wrestling extends beyond what we've been watching recently. Wrestling is still that great spectacle which can capture our imagination and utterly consume us. It's the reason why we're all on wrestling sites, it's the reason why we still watch guys like Cena and still buy the PPVs. For 20 minutes, I was that same 9 year old that sat in front of the TV every Friday night, watching WWF and cheering because The Rock won. I was that same 10 year old who almost cried when Austin turned heel at Wrestlemania 17.

I apologize if this column comes off as a little too opinion based, but I won't apologize for being such a fanboy. After seven years, I feel I've got a right to be!

Now, we move towards Wrestlemania and Rock's big night. I encourage you all to buy the PPV, rather than watching a stream, and repay WWE's willingness to make this happen. I know I will be.

Last edited:

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Great column here dod. It really does speak what everyone else is thinking. I don't think there is one person that didn't want this return. And for sure, I will be buying mania, I have for the past two years, and this year I'm hyped even more!

Killz

Reaction score
Yeah Dod this was a really nice read and summed up the occasion perfectly, kudos on that man.

As for the return itself and what you touched on, they DID need a big name. Mania ALWAYS delivers but for a few years now it has left me feeling disappointed in terms of hype. Let's be fair, it's always epic and maybe I'm just getting more cynical year on year, but with the rumoured returns of current WWE superstars everyone wants to see (Taker/Hunter/Y2J?), adding the Rock to that list has just skyrocketed interest in WrestleMania. Say what you will, when it counts that old man Vince still delivers.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It was a great moment seeing The Rock return and be given the freedom to cut a twenty minute promo on just about anything he wanted. It showed that he is still the best talker in the business and that he was a freak of a talent when in WWE, definitely a one in a generation wrestler. It is also a bit sad because it made every single other wrestler on the roster look second rate. No-one can get that reaction and no-one can cut promos anywhere near as good as that. I am sure that if The Rock decided to wrestle at WM, he won't but this is just a hypothetical, his match would be the best match WWE has seen for years. The way he interacts with the crowd is incredible and that is what is missing in wrestling today. I hope that he is a regular on RAW until Wrestlemania since it will make RAW a must watch show again.