Skyefire's WWE DVD review featuring NOPE matches

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
VQVzDYO
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
As a DVD fan, and with WWE no longer releasing DVDs I thought I would dive into my extensive collection for this rather unique review column. My DVD collection is HUUUUUUGE. Best guess is around 100 titles or so, I really haven't counted in quite some time. This column will be a bit different than most. It won't be a blow-by-blow, match-by-match review. I'll give you the highlights of the matches as well as historical facts about the storyline, what was going on in wrestling at the time, or whatever other unique tidbits I might add. I might skip a few matches, either because they're dull or because they're so well known that they've been reviewed many times over. I won't necessarily give a numerical rating to the match but rather give my general thoughts on the match. I won't be reviewing the documentaries but may use them to provide some insight on each match. At the end of each DVD I will give my overall thoughts on the DVD, what matches I might remove, as well as what matches I might add to the collection. And then at the end I will give you a hint as to which DVD is coming next (feel free to guess). I welcome your thoughts and opinions.

Now, to answer the question on everyone's mind, "Skyefire, what is a 'NOPE' match?" 'NOPE' is a term I came up with, interestingly enough after I decided to do this column. NOPE stands for Not On PEacock. As the name suggests, these matches are not on Peacock (or other WWE Network platform) to the best of my knowledge. I'm not familiar with every "Best of WWE" collection, plus I'm not entirely certain which Coliseum Home Video releases are on Peacock, so there might be a match listed as a NOPE Match that is not and there might be a match that isn't listed as a NOPE Match but is, but for the most part these are not available on Peacock.

Tomorrow (well I guess later today seeing as how it's now after midnight here), I will post my first review. Read as Ric Flair battles Dusty Rhodes, Bob Backlund faces Pat Patterson, and Triple H takes on Mankind. This one's going to be a Bloodbath.

Greedy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
RGKCxbB
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
This sounds cool! I'm here for it.

Reactions: Death By Looch

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
VQVzDYO
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
1714409355208.png

This was the first DVD I ever bought. I didn't even really have a DVD player at the time, just a computer that could play DVDs. I was very intrigued by the idea of bloody matches as well as seeing some classic matches from the 70's and 80's. This starts with a documentary with highlights from a bunch of cage matches, some of which a shown in their entirety as bonus matches. Some of the matches on the documentay include Bruno Sammartino vs Larry Zbyszko, Hulk Hogan vs Paul Orndorff, Steve Austin vs Mr. McMahon and (for some reason) Bret Hart vs Isaac Yankem. Let's now dive into some of the 11 full nmatches featured on this DVD.

NOPE Match
WWF Championship, Bob Backlund (c) vs Pat Patterson, Madison Square Garden September 24, 1979

Joined in progress within the first minute Patterson makes a run for the door and is attempting to crawl his way out while Backlund holds on to his foot. Patterson's upper body (down to his chest) are outside of the door and Vince McMahon on commentary shouts "He's halfway out, he's half a champion". Nevermind that your feet have to touch the floor to win. A couple more inches and he's "three-quarters of a champion." Patterson at one point chokes Backlund to which Vince reminds everyone that there are no holds barred and no referee in the ring. Patterson attempts to escape over the top of the cage, gets his upper body above the top of the cage and again is "three-quarters out". Backlund meets him at the top of the cage. The footage flashes forward in the match to where Backlund is busted open. At this point the two men are beating the hell out of each other rather than trying to escape. Back in the 70's and 80's all it took was getting rammed into the cage walls to get busted open. After a while the two men begin brawling near the door as Backlund falls backward through the open door to win the match and retain his title. This DVD shows about 13 minutes of the match that is listed at being over 16 minutes. This was a solid classic cage match.

NOPE Match
WWWF Championship, Bruno Sammartino (c) vs Ivan Koloff, Madison Square Garden December 15, 1975

This was the very first steel cage match every held at Madison Square Garden. Four years earlier Koloff nearly sparked a riot at MSG when he beat Bruno for the WWWF Championship. Koloff would later lose the belt to Pedro Morales who lost to Stan Stasiak who lost the belt back to Sammartino. These two fought to a no-contest Bruno is slugging away at Koloff and rams him into the cage wall as well as the steel turnbuckle multiple times in the first minute. Most of the first five minutes of this match are Bruno ramming Koloff into the cage. After about five minutes Koloff finally bleeds, but not much at first. There really wasn't a whole lot to this match and it's a rather anti-climatic finish as Bruno repeatedly rams Koloff's head into the turnbuckle on the opposite side of the ring from the door, then casually walks away and through the door to win.

WWF I-C Championship, Don Muraco (c) vs Jimmy Snuka, Madison Square Garden October 17, 1983
Everyone knows the story of this. Jimmy Snuka leaps off of the top of the cage onto Muraco. Mick Foley had hitchhiked to MSG to see this match and was inspired to be a wrestler from this match. What's not as commonly known is that Snuka had previously attempted a dive from the top a year earlier in a match against WWF Champion Bob Backlund. Snuka was a heel at the time and Backlund moved out of the way in that match and escaped the cage to win. In this match, the match had already ended as Muraco escaped from the cage by falling backwards after a Snuka leaping headbutt. Snuka was mad, grabbed Muraco pulled him back into the ring, delivered a suplex, and took a leap of faith. The crowd is red hot from the start of the match. Before entering the ring, Snuka checks out the cage, tugs on it a bit while looking up at what he is about to do. Superfly is busted open early. Snuka has multiple opportunities to esacpe during this match but does not take advantage. At one point Snuka is on the top rope in the corner but instead of going out, he carefully makes his way back to the ring mat to go after Muraco. The match itself is fun, but nothing special, it's just Snuka's post match leap that makes this match so iconic.

NWA United States Championship, Steel Cage/"I Quit" Match: Tully Blanchard (c) vs Magnum TA, Starrcade '85
This match is an all time classic. One of my personal favorites. I'm not going to go into the match in detail, but if you've never seen it, go watch it now. Well, finish reading my reviews first, THEN go watch this match. I dare say the only reason this match isn't in the same conversation as the likes of Bret Hart vs Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13 is two reasons, one the production values weren't as good and you didn't get the money shot like you did with Austin's bloody face and two the fact that neither one of these men went on to become big stars like Bret and Austin. And that;s kind of a crime. Magnum of course was earmarked to be the next big thing in the NWA and was supposed to challenge Flair for the title at Starrcade '86 until he got seriously injured in a car wreck ending his wrestling career. Not sure what happened with Tully, though. Tully had potential. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I see a lot of Bret Hart in him. I dare say he could have been a singles star, instead forming a tag team with Arn Anderson in the second half of the 80's and becoming one of the greatest tag teams ever. He was fired from WWF for failing a drug test and never resurfaced in a major company. This match stands the test of time for cage matches, so go watch it. If you don't want to watch the entire 1985 Starrcade (this match is about two-thirds of the way through the show) it's also available on Best of WWE: The Extreme and it's the first match on Best of WWE: Best of the United States Championship.

NWA World Heavyweight Championship, Steel Cage Match: Ric Flair (c) vs Dusty Rhodes, Great American Bash '86
Dusty Rhodes finishes his story. Starrcade '84: Flair beats Dusty when the match is stopped (while Dusty is in control) because Dusty is bleeding. Starrcade '85: Dusty pins Flair, but the decision is overturned because Dusty is disqualified. Now, the final showdown. But these two have a much greater history than just those matches. Flair's first title win in 1981 came at the expense of Dusty, Dusty (as the Midnight Rider) beat Flair for the title in early 1983 but was stripped after being forced to unmask because he wasn't allowed to challenge Flair for the title. Flair controls a good portion of this match using the cage to bust Dusty open before turning it into a wrestling match. Dusty manages a comeback and rubs Flair's head against the cage like a cabbage turning into bloody coleslaw as JR would say. Both men attack each others legs. In NWA, unlike WWF, steel cage matches were determined by pinfall or submission, not escaping the cage. At one point, though, it appears as though Flair is trying to escape over the top of the cage, but is pulled back by Dusty. Dusty wins this match with, of all things, a small package pin. The ring announcer sounds almost as excited as Samantha Irvin did announcing Cody as champion. Dusty Rhodes is finally champion...at least for two weeks before he would lose the belt back to Flair. That was the big difference between Flair as NWA Champion in the 80's and Hulk Hogan as WWF Champion. Hogan kept the belt for four years, while Flair lost the belt on several occasions only to win it back. Of course Flair was the heel and fans wanted to see the heel get beat.

WWF Championship, Steel Cage Match: Bret Hart (c) vs Owen Hart, Summerslam '94
Back to the WWF, it's now the 90's, the traditional chainlink fence has been replaced with blue steel bars. Bleeding is no longer a thing in cage matches. But that doesn't mean they can't still be great matches. Two classic wrestlers who individually rarely had a bad match and together never had a bad match. This is the epic rematch from WrestleMania X where Owen pulled off a somewhat shocking upset pinning his brother, only now Owen is the King of Harts. If I'm correct this was the first event of any kind (wrestling or otherwise) held at Chicago's United Center. WWF would run several more events at the United Center through the rest of 94 and 95 before returning back to the Rosemont Horizon for Chicago area events. Stu, Helen, and a whole shitload of Harts are in the crowd for this match. I saw the attendence for this event listed at 23,000 with 19,500 paid. I'm guessing the other 3,500 are the Hart family. Seriously, how man Hart siblings are there? There's Bret, Owen, Diana, Bruce, Keith, Alvin, Simon, Theodore, Huey, Dewey, Louie, Larry, Curly, Moe, Sleepy, Sneezy, Happy, Doc. Back to WWF rules of escaping the cage to win and there are a lot of attempts in this match as for the most part these two are content to win the match rather than beating the hell out of each other. At one point Bret is trying to make his way out but Owen pulls him back in causing Bret to crotch himself on the top rope. Anvil approves of that. Owen tries to escape but Bret grabs two fistfuls of hair to bring him back in. Once again we get a Vince McMahon "he's three-quarters out" when Bret has his upper body outside the cage. Another highlight of this match is when Bret, standing on the top rope, superplexes Owen, who's sitting on top of the cage, down to the ring mat. The finish comes with both men on the side of the cage, on the outside fighting with Owen getting tripped and stuck hanging upside down from the cage while Bret drops down to win. But the action doesn't end there as Anvil attacks Bret, dragging him back into the ring and locking the cage door behind him. He and Owen take turns on Bret while holding off other family members. Eventually Davey Boy makes his way into the ring chasing Owen and Anvil out. Bret's the winner but doesn't look like it. This match wasn't the technical masterpiece like their previous match, wasn't a brutal match like some of the previous matches on this DVD, but it was still enjoyable. A lot of excitement and drama. I mean, if you have a sibling, whether it's a brother, sister, or otherwise, haven't you ever wanted to get them into a steel cage and beat the snot out of them? Fans in the arena were on their feet and no doubt aftet the match were like "Oh my god, that was so much fun, what an exciting match, what an exciting event this was...wait, there's still another match? Undertaker vs Undertaker is going on last? Screw that, I'm beating the traffic out of here."

Mankind vs Hunter Hearst-Helmsley, Summerslam '97
People often talk about Mick Foley helping make Triple H a star during their 2000 feud, well this is possibly a better star making feud. Helmsey started off 1997 dropping the I-C title to Rocky Maivia and then feuding with Goldust. Now, he's feuding with a guy who's beaten The Undertaker and took then WWF Champion Shawn Michaels to the limit. Helmsey beat Mankind to win the King of the Ring, they fought to a no-deicsion in a brawl at Canadian Stampede, a month and a half after this match they would face off in a Falls Count Anywhere Match where Cactus Jack made his WWF debut. Helmsley gets a lot of good shots in on Mankind during this match. One of the highlights being a suplex from the top of the cage much like Bret vs Owen. The cage is meant to keep Chyna from interfering. Needless to say it does not. She is able to get some shots in on Mankind through the bars as well as climbing the cage to deliver a low blow to Mankind to set up the aformentioned suplex. She even prevents Mankind from escaping the cage by slamming the door on his head. But Chyna takes it as well. She climbs the side of the cage to throw a chair into the ring to help Helmsley, but it backfires as Mankind slams Hunter onto the chair followed by a catapault sending Helmsley into the side of the cage hitting Chyna knocking her down. Shortly thereafter Mankind climbs the cage and is moments away from winning. Now, as I'm watching this now for the first time in a while, I'm thinking Mankind is going to make it out but the since the referee is down (thanks to Chyna), he's not going to see it, but wait. Mankind stops his climb. He removes his mask. He's climbing back up. He's on top of the cage. Mankind delivers the Cactus Jack elbow from the top of the cage onto Helmsley. Mankind goes back out over the cage, this time to a victory. Mankind may have been the winner of the match, but Hunter Hearst-Helmsey won quite a bit as well. After winning Mankind is laying on the floor out of it when Dude Love's music hits and he starts tapping his toe and gets up and begins his Dude Love strut.

NOPE Match
I-C Championship/Steel Cage Match: Shawn Michaels (c) vs Marty Jannetty

From 1997 we go back in time to sometime in 1993. On the DVD instert it lists the date for this match as simply "1993". On screen, it's listed as "Coliseum Home Video". Doing a little research I tracked this down to August 17, 1993 in White Plains, NY taped for Bloopers, Bleeps, and Bodyslams. This comes two months after the two exchanged the title. Gorilla Monsoon and I think Johnny Polo (aka Raven) are on commentary with another future ECW legend, Bill Alfonso as referee. Fonzie for some reason gets in the ring and starts to count a pinfall even though there are no pinfalls in this match. Diesel blocks Marty from escaping. At one point Johnny Polo starts taking about The Doors and later the movie "Over the Top" and just about anything other than the action in this match. Of course, this wouldn't be a Shawn Michaels match in the 90's without his ass showing at some point. At one point both men are sitting on top of the cage exchanging blows. Marty delivers a slam on Shawn from the top of the cage, nowhere near as impressive as the suplexes in the two previous matches. Gorilla mentions that it's "15 feet in the air", well maybe all the way to the groud but not the ring mat. The finish comes when Marty attempts to climb over the top and is stopped by Diesel. Diesel doens't really even got a shot in on Marty but it slows him down and allows Shawn to escape out the door. This was not a bad match, but it was just basic. Nothing really special.

Other complete matches on this DVD include WWF Champion Bob Backlund vs Stan Hansen from 1981, Rock & Roll Express vs Arn & Ole Anderson for the NWA World Tag Team Championships at Starrcade '86, and Edge vs Kurt Angle on Smackdown in 2002. One of those matches I will review on another DVD in the future. Overall, this is a good blast from the past. I perfer the "Greatest Cage Matches" DVD, but there are plenty of good matches here. I would remove the Shawn Michaels vs Diesel and perhaps Backlund vs Hansen. I would add Andre the Giant vs Big John Studd from 1983, and Hulk Hogan vs Ric Flair from Halloween Havoc as neither of those matches are featured on either Cage Match DVD or the documentary portion of this DVD.

Next up a controversial superstar. In the kayfabe era he was one of the most hated men in the business, now he's one of the most beloved. It's one thing to have matches that are not on Peacock, but how many people can say they've had a match removed from Peacock.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
I'm guessing a Piper DVD next and it has the Bad News Brown blackface moment (which I need to watch for my own thread because that match was weak)

Reactions: Skyefire

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
VQVzDYO
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
1714967067748.png

So, no big surprise "Rowdy" Roddy Piper is next.
Disc one features a documentary, some Piper stories, and a handfull of matches from his pre-WWF days. Disc 2 features matches from his WWF run and one from his WCW run. And disc 3 is loaded with two dozen Piper's Pit segments, of which I will review a few. So let's get started by traveling to the Pacific Northwest.

NOPE Match
Roddy Piper & Mike Popovich vs Buddy Rose & Rip Oliver from Portland Wrestling

Footage of this match is grainy and joined in progress as Piper receives a tag. Piper delivers a barrage of jabs to the Playboy, whips him into the turnbuckle and runs towards him, only to be met with a knee followed by a pinfall with Oliver holding onto Rose to help with the pin. That's it. Just 32 seconds into the footage and about 20 seconds after Piper got the tag, the match is over. Rose has a post-match interview in which he says next week he's going to win the Tag Team Championships from Piper. He also challenges anyone to remove his mask from his face which leads Piper to attacking him and removing his mask. Really kinda pointless to have this on this DVD.

NOPE Match
Pacific Northwest Heavyweight Championship, Roddy Piper (c) vs Buddy Rose
More grainy footage. Someone (I'm guessing promoter Don Owen), says he's had enough of the "Loser Leaves Town" matches because he keeps losing talent. This match is apparently NOT a Loser Leaves Town Match, as someone comes and tells the commentator, apparently that match is next week, but it IS for the championship. Loser Leaves Town matches were common in the territorial days to explain a wrestler leaving the territory for a while to go to another territory. As grainy as the video is, the audio isn't' much better as the crowd's cheering nearly drowns out the commentary. The crowd goes wild when Piper delivers a thumb to the throat of Rose to turn the tide of the match. Piper delivers is trademark jabs to Rose before applying the sleeper and Piper wins the first fall by submission. Piper gets busted open by being thrown into the ring post to start the second fall. Piper still manages some offense. Piper gets a backwards roll-up on Rose to win the second fall and the match only to be blindsided after the match by Rose with a chair. Piper gets hold of the chair himself and uses it on Rose. Total time of the match was somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-8 minutes. Not a terrible match, it was great to see some of Piper's roots in the wrestling business, and I'm sure it was fun if you were watching it live, but especially with the poor video quality, this match is skippable.

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship, Roddy Piper (c) vs Jack Brisco, Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling, July 10, 1982
The Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship is on the line "Right here on television." That is something to say as title matches on TV were rare back then. Also on the line is $10,000. This match was taped at a TV studio in Charlotte, NC. Brisco uses his classic mat wrestling skills to his advantage in this match. Piper on the other hand wants to brawl and cheat. Brisco, ever the gardener attempts to grow some cauliflower on Piper's head with a tight headlock. These two do a lot while the headlock is applied including bouncing off the ropes and pinfall attempts. Brisco has the headlock applied for several minutes, but it's not boring. Piper manages to climb the ropes and fall back on Brisco forcing the hold to be broken. Piper takes control with some punches but attempts some classic wrestling of his own with a front face lock. Piper attempts to pin Brisco with while having his own feet on the ropes but the referee sees it and breaks up the pin. Piper gets the sleeper on Brisco. Much like with the headlock these two do a lot with the sleeper applied. Apparently Piper is now bleeding from the forehead, not sure when that happened as it's not acknowledged by the commentators. After a few moves, Brisco applies the sleeper to Piper. Piper rakes the eyes and grabs the hair to break the hold. Piper pulls a roll of coins, kinda looks like pennies (what a cheapskate) and punches Brisco with the roll in his fist and gets the pin on Brisco. Piper delivers a short, but fun, post match promo claiming he simply beat Brisco with his fist. This match doesn't have all of the flashy moves you see today, but it is still a good match. The use what are often times "rest holds" to add to the match. A fun, classic-style match.

Dog Collar Match, Roddy Piper vs Greg Valentine, Starrcade '83
This HAS to be the greatest match of Piper's career. This was very first Starrcade. The night of "A Flair For The Gold". Valentine is introduced as "The man with the bionic elbow". Valentine had recently won the NWA United States Championship from Piper. The title is not on the line in this match. The two men are connected to each other by a chain connected to dog collars around each other's neck. The two men start off with a pseudo-tug-of-war with the chain. These two men pull the chain across each other's faces at different times. There is a lot of creative use of the chain. Valentine is the first to shed the crimson in this match. Valentine wraps the chain around his fist and rammed it into the side of Piper's head. According to Piper in the documentary portion of this DVD, this blow legitimately busted his eardrum permanently costing him 50% of the hearing in his ear. Piper is bleeding now, but not across the forehead, but rather the ear. Piper is stumbling around. It's Valentine who applies a sleeper hold on Piper in this match, but Piper uses a right hand, covered in chain, to break the hold. Piper pins Valentine by wrapping the chain around Valentine's legs to prevent him from kicking out. Valentine would attack Piper after the match, wrapping the chain around Piper's throat. This match is a classic bloodbath full of brutality. Also in the documentary portion of the DVD, Mick Foley mentions finding out about this match through magazines and says he "couldn't believe that people would resort to that kind of brutality" and the idea that people would do that to each other was "exciting" to him. That's saying a lot when you consider who it's coming from. The two men would go on the have a few more Dog Collar Matches on the house show circuit over the next month. Within two months of this match, both men would be in the WWF.

Roddy Piper vs Paul Orndorff, Saturday Night's Main Event October 5, 1985
I'm going to skip the main event of WrestleMania I as that match has been reviewed numerous times and I'm sure most people are familiar with it and move on to the October edition of Saturday Night's Main Event. After Paul Orndorff took the pin at WrestleMania I, Piper and Bob Orton turned on him sparking a heated rivalry which leads to this match. Piper is lead to the ring by a live bagpipe performance. The match starts off hot and heavy as they go at each other. Bobby Heenan is at ringside with a briefcase full of cash. He's got a $50,000 bounty on Orndorff. The match spills out to the outside briefly. Once they get back in the ring Orndorff delivers a suplex and Jesse Ventura is right on the money when he says that's the first wrestling move we've seen in this match. Soon the match goes back to the outside and doesn't get back in as the two are counted out. That doesn't stop things though as they continue to brawl crawling underneath the platform holding the commentator's table. Piper eventually makes it into his dressing room and locks the door. Not a whole lot to this match. A decent brawl, but it's not great.

I'm also going to skip WrestleMania 2 Boxing Match as that been reviewed and talked about plenty of times, but I will add this little tidbit that other than a couple of house show matches in Kuwait shortly after WrestleMania this would be the match Piper would work as a heel until his 2003 run feuding with Hulk Hogan.

Roddy Piper vs Bob Orton, Saturday Night's Main Event November 29, 1986
One feature I enjoy about this DVD is some of the pre-match interviews with Piper. Before we get to the Piper interview we have a pre-recorded interview by Jesse Ventura (and his bad toupee) with Orton and Jimmy Hart at a restaurant. Next there's a short music video package about the past friendship between Piper and Orton. Now, we get Mean Gene and the Rowdy One. This is a classic Piper promo. Piper compares Don Muraco (who's now on Orton's side) to Fat Albert and talks about the time he got Orton a date. Don Muraco is at ringside along with Jimmy Hart but Muraco is sent to the back not long after the start of the match after attempting to interfere. Rewatching this I was expecting it to be very similar to the Piper vs Orndorff match, but this is far more of a wrestling match than an out-of-control brawl. In classic (if not somewhat predictable) fashion, Jimmy Hart gets up on the ring apron and holds on to Piper so that Orton can get a free shot. But of course, Piper breaks free, and Orton is about to hit his own manager. But Orton stops himself from hitting Hart, but Piper knocks Orton into Hart before rolling him up for the pin. I actually think I prefer the Orndorff match to this.

Hair vs Hair Match, Roddy Piper vs Adrian Adonis, WrestleMania III
This was advertised as Piper's retirement match, but of course as we all know he would have multiple runs in both WWF and WCW in the years to come. It would be Piper's last live TV appearance for WWF until the Piper's Pit at WrestleMania V. Piper's kilt belt plays a role in the early part of this match as both men use it on their opponent. Several minutes in Adonis applies a sleeper to Piper and the two men still manage to do some moves while the hold is applied. About a minute into the sleeper, Adonis has Piper out of it as the referee begins to check Piper's arm to see if he's out. After the arm drops twice, Adonis releases the hold and celebrates his victory, not realizing that as the referee checked Piper a third time Piper kept his arm up. Adonis and Hart are celebrating while Brutus Beefcake, who earlier in the night had a falling out with his now former manager Jimmy Hart comes in and wakes Piper up. Piper goes after Jimmy Hart and Adonis tries to hit Piper but misses and Piper applies the sleeper and Adonis is out. Roddy Piper is your winner. Now it's haircut time. Brutus is the one who does most of the haircutting earning his new nickname and gimmick "The Barber". Adonis isn't shaved clean but rather left with a bad hairdo. Piper brings in a mirror and a still half out of it Adonis sees himself in the mirror and attempts to punch the mirror. The match isn't much other than the finish. It's really what happens after the match that makes this match special. Plus, it's Piper's last match (at least for a while).

WWF Championship, Hulk Hogan (c) vs Roddy Piper, The War to Settle the Score
For some reason we jump backwards in time to 1985 and the huge live MTV special. The Rock and Wrestling Connection is alive and well. While the show itself is not featured on Peacock, I do believe this match is on there as part of the Rowdy Roddy Piper Coliseum Home Video, though I would have to double check that. Piper comes to the ring first played to the ring by the New York Emerald Society. Bob Orton is in Piper's corner and has his arm in a sling after breaking it during a match earlier in the night against Jimmy Snuka. Piper has an electric guitar with he smashes in the ring saying "this is what I think of Rock & Roll." Bob Costas is the guest ring announcer for this match. Hulk is accompanied to the ring by Captain Lou Albano, Cyndi Lauper, and David Wolff. The match starts off hot and heavy. At one point Piper jumps on Hogan's back applying a sleeper to bring Hogan down to the mat, and commentators Gorilla Monsoon and Gene Okerlund insist is a chokehold. Orton sill manages to get involved but Hogan makes him pay. With Orton out of commission, Paul Orndorff comes to ringside. When Piper delivers a short punch to Hogan, Hogan falls knocking the referee down. With no referee that allows Orndorff to get involved. Cyndi Lauper won't stand for this as she gets up on the ring apron. The two heels slowly start approach her only to have Mr. T come in from the crowd to come to her aid. Piper blindsides (or "Pearl Harbor's") Piper but Hogan comes to T's aid. It's now two-on-two until WWF officials and NYPD get in the ring to break the action up. Once again it's the hijinks that make this match fun. This was a setup for WrestleMania I coming less than two months afterwards.

NOPE Match
Steel Cage Match, Roddy Piper vs Rick Rude, Madison Square Garden December 28, 1989

So, apparently, this is the first steel cage match in WWF where pinfalls count in addition to escaping the cage. This feud goes back to summer when Piper had some The fighting starts before Piper can remove his kilt and when he does he uses the belt to whip Rude. And much like Shawn Michaels, this wouldn't be a Rick Rude match without his ass showing at some point. Rude gets busted open from being thrown into the side of the cage. Rude hits the Rude Awakening on Piper and tries to crawl to the door but isn't quite sure where it is, but he's got Bobby Heenan at ringside to guide him. Soon both men are climbing the cage and begin fighting on top of the cage, begin climbing down and coordinate on dropping down at the same time. This time, though it's decided that the match must continue and both men must get back in the ring. First, there's a brief brawl on the outside with a chair involved. Rude channels is inner Superfly by leaping off the top of the cage dropping a knee on Piper's head. But, Snuka never did it with half his ass exposed. Rude then hits a piledriver on Rude and scales the cage to attempt another superfly leap, but Piper shakes the cage causing Rude to be crotched. Piper attempts to escape through the door only to have the Weasel, I mean Brain, slam the door on his head. Soon back to square one with both men down in the ring. Heenan hands a pain of brass knuckles to Rude, but Piper prevents the punch causing Rude to drop the knucks. Piper then picks up the knucks, nails Rude, puts the knucks in his tights (the implication being that it's illegal to use a foreign object in this match even though there are no DQs), and walks out the door for victory. While this isn't Piper's first match back from retirement, it's still great to see that he hasn't lost a step and can put on as good of a match as he could in his heyday.

Now, we move on to the match you've all been waiting for...

NOPE Match
Roddy Piper vs Bad News Brown, WrestleMania VI

The match that has been removed from Peacock. We start with the pre-match interview with Gene Okerlund. "They call him the Hot Rod." Piper is turned with his left side facing the camera and responds with "Yeah, you can say I'm the Hot Rod, but some folks call me the Hot Scot" as he turns to reveal the right side of his body is painted black and he does the John Travolta 'Staying Alive' dance apparently thinking that's a Michael Jackson move. He then says "You know I guess I'm a little bit of both. You could say I'm a little two-faced" as he turns and faces the camera. He then goes to verbally attack Bad News Brown's face one part at a time. As Piper walks off Okerlund concludes with "Well, Bad News Brown, it looks like you're going to have to deal with a SPLIT personality." Bad News is already in the ring as Piper makes his way down. Bad News seems less than pleased with Piper's appearance. As Piper takes off his shirt and kilt he once again does the 'Staying Alive' dance. Once they get going it's an all-out brawl. Every time they get into the ropes referee Danny Davis attempts to separate them, poor schmuck. The match manages to settle down into some sort of order. After Bad News rakes Piper in the eye the referee checks on Piper allowing Bad News to remove the top turnbuckle pad. Bad News goes to whip Piper into said turnbuckle, only to have Piper reverse it. Piper then takes a Michael Jackson-esq sequined glove and begins nailing Bad News with it. Bad News falls to the outside where Piper joins him. Bad news attempts to punch Piper only to miss and hit the ring post. Piper grabs a chair and goes after Brown. Both men get counted out but that doesn't stop them as they fight their way all of the way up the aisle. Of course we all know how this match has been removed because of Piper painting half of his body black. I gather from Brown's reaction at the start of the match that he did not know Piper was going to do that. Controversy aside, this match was fun to watch. Not a classic by any means, though. An interesting bit of trivia, while the match was going on Andre the Giant and Arnold Skaaland dumped out the paint remover and replaced it with water, so the paint wouldn't come off. The next day WWF had a show in the U.S. and Piper had to go through US Customs with his body painted half black. Though part of me has to wonder, was it truly half of his body? Did he skip the parts that we can't see?

I-C Championship, Roddy Piper (c) vs Bret Hart, WrestleMania VIII
Piper's first ever title reign in the WWF came at Royal Rumble when he beat The Mountie for the I-C Title. Now, it's Piper vs former champion Bret "Hitman" Hart. Gene Okerlund conducts a side-by-side interview with both men before the match where Piper talks about knowing Hart when he was a child and adds a few insults in classic Piper fashion, but Hart wants nothing of it. Hart is all business in this interview as things get heated. Mean Gene has to keep the two apart. This match starts off as a scientific wrestling match. At one point Bret Hart appears to have hurt his shoulder, but it's simply a ruse to lure Piper in and catch him in a small package. Piper kicks out of the pinfall attempt and then delivers a nasty slap to the face of Hart. That's when this all breaks down. After a brief scuffle outside of the ring they make their way back inside. Hart appears to be checking his boot when Piper delivers a stiff uppercut. Hart is now busted open. This match becomes a brawl. Piper delivers a series of jabs, soon both men are exchanging blows. During all of this, though, Hart uses his wrestling skill to take it to Piper. Piper blocks an attempt at the Sharpshooter. Piper shoves Hart into the referee knocking him down. Piper grabs the ring bell and appears he's going to use it on Hart. He winds up, but starts looking to the crowd as if they are telling him not to and he throws the bell down. Piper applies the sleeper to Hart, but Hart climbs the turnbuckle shoving both men backwards. Hart is now on top of Piper with the sleeper still applied as the referee counts three. We have a new champion. Piper shakes Hart's hand after the match and hands him the belt. For me, this is Piper's best WWF match. Great wrestling, great brawling, and great storytelling. Interesting bit of trivia, obviously blood was not allowed in WWF at this point, but Piper and Hart arranged the blade job on their own without the approval of WWF officials. When they got back to the back the officials thought Hart had been busted open legitimately and there was no punishment for the two. Just a couple of matches later on the card Ric Flair and Randy Savage would also do a blade job and both got fined for it.

Next for some reason we go back to Piper winning the I-C title from The Mountie at Royal Rumble. Other than the fact that Piper wins his first championship in the WWF, this match is skippable.

Hollywood Backlot Brawl, Roddy Piper vs Goldust, WrestleMania XII
After WrestleMania VIII, Piper essentially retired from full-time competition. He would return to face Jerry Lawler at King of the Ring 1994, then come back in 1996 as the interim President of the WWF stepping in for Gorilla Monsoon who had been taken out by Vader. Piper would raise the ire of the bizarre Goldust. That leads to the Hollywood Backlot Brawl. The "match" starts in a supposed Hollywood Backlot. Goldust drives up in a gold Cadillac and Piper goes after him with a baseball bat. Calling Brisco Brothers Body Shop, you've got another customer. There appears to be a small catering table outside for some reason which they use. There's also a metal trash can. Piper turns a fire hose of Goldust. Goldust deivers a low blow to Piper followed by throwing him into a dumpster. Goldust gets back in his car and drives at Piper hitting him. Goldust then drives off. Piper gets in his car, a white SUV. Next we get footage of the OJ Simpsons police chase, as Piper is driving the same type of car. They end up at the arena. Marlena helps Goldust get away from Piper. They make their way down toward the ring. In the ring Goldust appears to be setting Piper up for a piledriver and suggestively grabs Piper's ass. There's no referee for this match. After some more brawling, Goldust is again using his unique brand of mind games on Hot Rod. Goldust goes to the top rope, but Piper knocks him down. Goldust grabs Piper and kisses him on the lips. Piper grabs Goldust by the balls, followed by a knee to the crotch. Then Piper begins undressing Goldust. I think most people know what happens from here. If not, well then count your blessings. Imagine you're not a big wrestling fan but tune into WrestleMania and see this. What a disaster of a "match".

Hollywood Hulk Hogan vs Roddy Piper, Starrcade '96
Piper has now made his way to WCW and is fighting his arc-rival Hulk Hogan in the main event of Starrcade. This match is not for the WCW Championship, though. After a short brawl to start the match, Piper gently pulls the referee aside as if to suggest he stay out of the action and let them go. However, this match is not a flat out brawl as you might want. It actually starts off with quite a slow pace followed by some actual wrestling. The crowd is dead for most of this match. A lot of weak looking shots. They brawl on the outside which seeing the fans clamoring to get on camera is the most excitement we get from the crowd. Hogan applies an abdominal stretch to Piper which looks weak. Ten minutes in and they both seem winded. Piper delivers a suplex to Hogan which is the most devastating move so far. Shortly after Hogan goes for his dreaded leg drop but Piper moves out of the way. The Giant comes down to the ring and goes to chokeslam Piper. A fan jumps in the ring and is taken out by Hogan. The Giant holds Piper up for an unusually long time. Hogan seems as though he wants the help the Giant slam Piper, but Piper kicks Hogan away and begins biting The Giant. Piper applies to sleeper to Hogan which knocks him out. Piper is the winner by submission. The crowd does seem to pop but not as much as you might expect. Celebratory fireworks go off above the ring. Piper wins the non-title match. How many people can say they twice beat champions at a major PPV like Starrcade without winning the titles. Piper did it against Greg Valentine and now against Hogan. After the match The Outsiders get in the ring. Piper fights off both Hall and Nash before leaving the ring. That match is the sleeper of the DVD. As in you're going to be sleeping through it.

That wraps up the match portion of this DVD. I enjoyed a lot of these matches especially the Greg Valentine Dog Collar Match and the Bret Hart match. WrestleMania I is also a quite enjoyable match. I think this DVD could do without the Iron Sheik match as well as the Hollywood Backlot Brawl and the Hollywood Hogan match. I'm disappointed that this DVD completely left Ric Flair off of it, so I would add the 1991 Survivor Series with Team Piper vs Team Flair and probably a WCW Piper vs Flair match to this. Those two were really good rivals and I think their rivalries deserved some time on this DVD.

Reactions: Chris

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
VQVzDYO
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Now on to Piper's Pit

Championship Wrestling January 24, 1984
Robert DeBord is here to announce that Victory Magazine will now be called the WWF Magazine and that Roddy Piper will now author an article called "Piper's Pit". Apparently DeBord has been hosting a talk segment though he looks very uncomfortable in front of the camera. Piper, who has just recently arrived in the WWF comes out saying he's going to ask the hard questions that DeBord doesn't have the guts to.

Guest: Andre the Giant, Championship Wrestling March 6, 1984
Next up is Andre the Giant. "Big body, tiny, weenie brain". Piper asks Andre about Big John Studd slamming him, which Andre denies. Piper says HE could slam Andre which leads and the grabbing Piper by the shirt and tossing him aside. Piper ends by saying "You do not throw rocks at someone who has a machine gun."

Guest: Frankie Williams, Championship Wrestling March 27, 1984
"Just when they think they've got the answers, I change the question." That's the only thing worth mentioning.

The DVD jumps around the order of the segments, taking them out of chronological order, but I'm going to right now bundle three together not in the order that they appear on the DVD. These are three that would never happen today. Jimmy Snuka, Mt. T, and Haiti Kid

Guest: Jimmy Snuka, Tuesday Night Titans June 26, 1984
The Jimmy Snuka coconut incident. Piper gives Snuka the microphone and says he wants Snuka to feel at home so he starts brining out fruit. First a pineapple, then bananas, then finally the coconuts. One coconut. Two coconut. Three coconuts. "I didn't get you a tree so you can climb up and down like a monkey." Piper than wallops Snuka across the head with a coconut, throwing him into the Piper's Pit set. Piper then whips Snuka with his kilt belt taunting him to get up. Snuka finally gets up and Piper escapes as officials hold Snuka back.

Guest: Mr. T, Madison Square Garden March 17, 1985
Two weeks before WrestleMania I, Piper gets an introduction from Howard Finkel as this Pit is taking place in the ring. Piper is accompanied by Cowboy Bob Orton. Piper has to insult the New York crowd first. After hyping up Mr. T as his guest he instead brings out Paul Orndorff. Orndorff makes some sort of reference to an out house as an attack on Mr. T. Piper taunting Mr. T to come out he says "If you're finished powdering your nose with the dark color". Mr. T comes out, but to Piper's dismay, he's not alone as he has Hulk Hogan and Jimmy Snuka with him. Piper "cleans off" a director's chair for T and says "I know you're not used to cleanliness." Piper soon draws the ire of T and both men have to be held back with Piper saying they're going to save the fight for WrestleMania. Piper and crew exit the ring but Piper grabs a drink from the announcer's table and throws it at T before exiting. During that whole segment they never once say the words "WrestleMania" they just refer to it as March 31.

"Guest": Haiti Kid, Tuesday Night Titans March 7, 1986
Piper and Bob Orton drag a victorious Haiti Kid to the Pit. This was during Piper's feud with Mr. T. Haiti Kid is a fan of Mr. T, and Piper decides to cut Haiti Kid's hair to give him a Mr. T hairstyle. Mid-haircut Piper grabs some tape and tapes Kid's mouth shut while Orton holds him down.

The order of these on the DVD go Kid, Andre (next), Snuka, then T.

Guests: Jesse Ventura, Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Wrestling Challenge February 7, 1987
Piper and Jesse Ventura are already on the Pit as Piper brings WWF Champion Hulk Hogan out, and Jesse introduces Andre the Giant. To the surprise of everyone, Andre comes out accompanied by Bobby Heenan. Andre is out to challenge Hogan at WrestleMania. Andre's historic heel turn. Hogan doesn't seem to want to face Andre but Andre rips Hogan's shirt and cross necklace off scratching his chest in the process causing Hogan to bleed. An emotional moment in wrestling history.

Back to the order that these appear on DVD. The next three are nothing special by Piper's Pit standards. One with Salvatore Bellomo who is appearing on behalf of an injured Junkyard Dog. Piper and Bob Orton go and insult JYD until he comes out with his head bandaged to chase off Piper. A brief Pit that seems as though is not in front of an audience that's simply Piper and Orndorff talking about WrestleMania for only about a minute or so, then we go on to Bruno Sammartino, as the two exchange words Piper basically calls Bruno washed up, the two end up having a fight. Now we jump forward to babyface Piper.

Guest: Jimmy Hart, Superstars October 18, 1986
Jimmy Hart is the guest who comes out with presents for Piper. He has a crutch, since Piper's career is supposedly over, a lei from Magnificent Muraco, a pair of panties from Mr. Fuji to wear under his kilt, a pink cowboy hat from Bob Orton, and a rope also from Orton for Piper to hang himself with. Piper says he has a present for Jimmy, tells him to have a seat and close his eyes. Piper proceeds to tie Hart up with the rope, then brings out some mouthwash to clean Hart's out with. He gives Hart back the lei since that's the only "lei" Jimmy's going to get ;). Piper also gives him back the panties since he's going to need them momentarily. Piper then pours the mouthwash in Hart's mouth then gives him Orton's hat to spit into. Hart refused to spit so Piper slaps him on the back forcing him to spit all of the mouthwash into the cowboy hat which Piper then proceeds to place on Hart's head.

Guest: Bobby Heenan, Superstars November 8, 1986
What could be better than Piper and Jimmy Hart? How about Piper and Bobby Heenan. Heenan rips the mic out of Piper's hand and introduces "King" Harley Race. Race pokes Piper in the chest. Piper claims that Race crowned himself King. Race continues to poke Piper. Piper says that he owes Race an apology and claims he has jewels for Race as a present. Race takes off his crown, and Piper places a toilet seat around Race's neck.

Next we get a couple of Pits with Hulk Hogan, one from late '86 with the two seemingly putting aside their past differences, the other from March '87 with Hogan hyping his match with Andre at WrestleMania.

Superstars March 28, 1987
It's WrestleMania weekend and Piper gives an emotional final Piper's Pit which acts as a retirement speech. He talks a lot about being a wrestler and talks about his kids and gives a thank you to the WWF and the fans and concludes with "daddy's coming home." While as we know this was not the last ever Piper's Pit, it would be the last to take place on the Piper's Pit set.

Scheduled Guest: Morton Downey, Jr., WrestleMania V
"I looooooove you." It's supposed to be Piper's Pit with guest Morton Downey, Jr. Only it's Brother Love who comes out wearing a kilt. He interviews "Brother Rodney Piper" which is just Brother Love doing Piper impressions. "Brother Rodney" claims that the Brother Love Show is his favorite show. Then we get an odd segue where Brother Love finishes his "interview" and Morton Downey Jr. comes out. Brother Love tells Downey that he loooooooves him, but that doesn't mean that he likes him. Another awkward segue as Howard Finkel introduces the real Rowdy Roddy Piper. This is Piper's first WWF TV appearance in two years. Piper asks Brother Love a question then immediately pulls the microphone away. It's kinda a predecessor to The Rocks "It doesn't matter..." Piper comments on Brother Love's red face. Piper comments that Brother Love's gold jewelry is fake. It's during this that Morton Downey begins flicking cigarettes in Piper's direction. Piper then goes and interviews Downey who begins blowing the cigarette smoke in Piper's face. Piper asks Downey why he calls himself Morton Downey Jr., to which Downey replies with "That's the name your mama wanted to call me..." Piper asks about what happened to the warts Downey had previously had on his face, Downey says he gave them to a homeless warthog to which Piper replies with "I didn't know your girlfriend was homeless." Downey continues blowing cigarette smoke in Piper's face. This eventually leads to my personal favorite Piper's Pit moment. Piper brings out a fire extinguisher from underneath one of the stools and sprays Downey with it. As someone who hates cigarette smoke, I greatly enjoy this and have referenced this scene numerous times saying I should do that to smokers.

Guest: Mr. McMahon, Smackdown April 10, 2003
14 years later, the Pit returns. Piper had recently returned to WWE at WrestleMania XIX to help Mr. McMahon defeat Hulk Hogan. This segment begins with Mr. McMahon bragging about getting rid of Hulk Hogan for good. Piper gets a good pop from the crowd. McMahon then says that HE is Piper's guest. Piper says that no one made him except him. McMahon goes on to talk at length about Piper's weight and says he wants Piper to kiss his ass. Piper then references Vince's past creations such as the WBF and XFL and that the only job Vince has been able to hold is the one his dad gave him. Vince says they have one thing in common is their dislike for Hulk Hogan. Piper goes on a heel rant against Hogan. But Piper hates McMahon as well. McMahon calls Piper a "son of a ***", to which Piper basically says it takes one to know one. McMahon's music hits and he starts to walk off but Piper stops him. Piper mentions that McMahon did something Piper never did and get pinned 1-2-3 by Hogan. Then Rikishi's music hits and he comes out with coconuts in hand. Rikishi gives the Superfly "I love you" hand gesture. But as Rikishi confronts Piper, Sean O'Haire comes up from behind and attacks Rikishi. Piper wallops Rikishi across the head with a coconut.

Guest: Sean O'Haire, Smackdown April 17, 2003
Fans are still popping for Piper despite him being a heel. Piper talks about what he did the previous week and brings out Sean O'Haire. O'Haire is sucking up to, I mean praising, Piper when all of a sudden Jimmy Snuka comes out. "Brudda there is a problem here". Piper sends O'Haire away and seems to be ready to fight Snuka himself. Pier goes to attack Snuka, but Snuka fights back. Sean O'Haire returns and attacks Snuka, only for Rikishi to come to Snuka's rescue. Rikishi then confronts Piper only for O'Haire to get up and kick Rikishi in the back of the head.

Guest: Mr. America, Smackdown May 15, 2003
Piper is accompanied by Sean O'Haire. Piper's guest is the mysterious masked man, Mr. America. Oh, what was WWE thinking. Mr. America comes out to "Real American". America says he understands why Piper hates Hulk Hogan. Hogan...I mean Mr. America...says that ever since he was a little "America-maniac" he watched Hogan kick Piper's ass. Piper references the "biggest idiot with a flag" in the crowd, who is Zach Gowen who's waving an American flag. Mr. America says his 24 inch Patriots are going to run wild. Piper sends Sean O'Haire after the "fan" while Piper attacks Mr. America. A brawl ensues in the ring between Piper, O'Haire, and Mr. America. Piper attempts to remove Mr. America's mask when the "fan" gets in the ring and attacks him. Piper unknowingly pulls off the "fan's" artificial leg. The actual fans are quite shocked and silenced by this and begin chanting "asshole".

Guest: Stone Cold Steve Austin, WrestleMania 21
Skipping over the one with Eddie Guerrero & Tajiri and jumping ahead to 2005. Piper had just been inducted into the Hall of Fame. Piper's guest is none other than Stone Cold Steve Austin. Piper greets Austin with "So, you're the rebel, huh? Welcome to Piper's Pit" followed by a slap across the face. Austin replies with "Thanks for having me you son of a bitch" and a slap across the face. Piper seems annoyed with the "what" chants. The two go back and forth as to who is the bigger rebel. They are interrupted by Carlito. Carlito says that neither Austin or Piper are cool and everyone wants to see him. He wants Piper and Austin to leave. Piper grabs Carlito's apple, chews it up and spits on him. Carlito then attacks Piper while Austin watches seemingly in delight. But, Austin then grabs Carlito and stops a mudhole in him. That's soon followed by a Stone Cold Stunner. Austin and Piper celebrate with some cold ones followed by a Stunner to the Hot Rod.

Guest: Shawn Michaels, Raw, October 3, 2005
The next one up is Shawn Michaels who had recently begun his ill-fated heel run after turning on Hulk Hogan, but this is just HBK cutting a promo on Hogan. The only highlight, of sorts, is Sweet Chin Music on Piper, so I'm just going to move on to October 2005 at Raw Homecoming and Mick Foley. He's switching things up as the guest he's introducing the host. Piper says he's a fan of Mick's. Piper says he's got nothing on Foley as far as craziness. Piper asks Foley when he's coming back to WWE. Foley says he needs a really good reason so Piper gets the fans started on a "Foley" chant. Out comes Randy Orton, along with his dad, and former Piper cohort, Cowboy Bob Orton. Randy being the last opponent of Foley and his dad is with him as part of their feud with The Undertaker. Orton says he can do and get away with whatever he wants, such as appeaaring on Raw. Orton claims that his dad carried Piper. Orton shoves Piper only to have Piper attack him. The two fight while Cowboy and Mick pull them apart. Cowboy Bob sucker punches Foley while Randy hits an RKO on Piper followed by one for Foley.

Guest: Great Khali, Smackdown June 2, 2006
Why not conclude this throwback of talk show segments with a guy who can't talk worth a damn, the Great Khali. Piper tells Khali that The Undertaker is the toughest man to ever come through WWE. Daivari hypes up Khali. Khali grabs Piper by the throat and Daivari insist he release him and says that if he wanted to Khali could snap Piper's neck. Piper slaps Daivari only the get attacked by Khali and his dreaded chop. I think that was more painful for me than it was for Piper.

Though controversial, I personally enjoyed the Pits with Jimmy Snuka and Mr. T. They really demonstrate how far Piper would go for heat. For my money Piper is the greatest heel of all time. There are a few very random ones that could be removed. I think the Salvatore Bellomo/JYD one could go along with Paul Orndorff. Though I've never seen these, Pit segments that sound like they could be fun are ones with Captain Lou Albano and Cyndi Lauper from May 1984 and January 1985 with Heenan, Studd, and Bundy with locks of Andre's hair. Also, there are some non-Pit segments that could be included and would be fun to see.

Next we move on from a wrestler who was controversial on TV to a wrestler who was controversial outside the ring. This Hall of Famer tells his story while competing in matches against soon-to-be Hall of Famers such as Perry Jackson, Brian Costello, Bob Bradley, and even Hunter Hearst-Helmsley.

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
VQVzDYO
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
It's the great collection, no the mega collection, no the ULTIMATE COLLECTION!
giphy.gif

Ultimate Warrior was the reason I became a wrestling fan. He was my favorite wrestler growing up. I want to start off by saying I enjoy the format of this DVD. Interlocking the matches, promos, and the stories. The primary interview with Warrior is taped in the lead-up to WrestleMania XXX, the weekend where he would be inducted into the Hall of Fame, appear on Raw, and then pass away.

Warrior starts off talking about studying to be a chiropractor then getting into body building before getting into wrestling and training with Red Bastien before going to Memphis and then Mid-South Wrestling.

NOPE Match
Blade Runners vs Perry Jackson & Shawn O'Riley, Mid-South Wrestling April 11, 1986

Blade Runners entrance music is very ominous. Blade Runners are brought to the ring by "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert. This match is one-fall with a 10-minute time limit. I don't think it's going to go 10 minutes. Blade Runners start clubbing their opponents. Warrior whips Jackson off the ropes then picks him up and drops him. He then picks him up again and does the same. Tags in Sting gets the tag and delivers a running splash and gets the pin. That's it. From the time the bell rang, once there was only one Blade Runner in the ring, the match goes 40 seconds.

Dingo Warrior vs Chris Adams, World Class Championship Wrestling, August 1986
Nothing really special about this match. The bell rings but before the match can begin, everyone's favorite pallbearer, Percival Pringle III grabs a microphone and calls out Adams, who is the World Class Heavyweight Champion having recently defeated Rick Rude for the title, saying he's not a real champion and challenges him to a rematch. This match is pretty dull. Warrior, even by his standards, is not very good in this match, and Adams, while better than Warrior, is not top quality himself. The match ends with Warrior picking Adams up and dropping him throat-first across the top rope followed by an elbow drop (which doesn't look like a finishing move but at least looks more devastating than Hulk Hogan's leg drop). There's a pinfall attempt which it kinda looks like Adams kicked out, but maybe not in time and there's some confusion by the commentator but the referee calls for the bell. It even looked like Warrior was positioning himself for a kickout by Adams. Warrior immediately gets up and attempts another elbow drop but Adams moves out of the way and out of the ring seemingly disgusted with the outcome, makes me wonder if that was the planned outcome.

NOPE Matches
Ultimate Warrior vs Barry Horowitz
Ultimate Warrior vs Steve Lombardi

I'm going to put these two together. The Horowitz match features Bobby Heenan claims that Warrior is a "poor-man's Rick Rude" and has had to spend all of his time working on his body and can't read or write. Both matches features picture-in-picture promos from Warrior talking about bringing the power of the Warriors to the WWF. Those were the only parts of these squash match worth mentioning.

Ultimate Warrior vs Harley Race, Prime Time Wrestling, March 21, 1988
Warrior finally has some competition in the form of a former NWA World Champion, though WWF didn't make it feel like a big deal. "The King" Harley Race uses the same music later used by King Haku and famously Jerry "The King" Lawler. There's nothing special about this match. The commentators are busy hyping WrestleMania IV all throughout this match. The two are mis-matched with Race being a classic 70's style hard hitter and Warrior being a wild, out of control style. The highlights are Race taking a Ric Flair-esqe 360 backwards tumble over the top rope and later the two men colliding head-to-head with Warrior going down and Race moments later going down head first into Warrior's nether regions. Warrior wins reversing suplex into a rollup.

Weasel Suit Match: Ultimate Warrior vs Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, Los Angeles July 15, 1988
The Brain puts on the trunks for a match against Warrior. These two would put this match on several times at the major arenas in the summer of '88. They can be found fighting at Madison Square Garden on the Greatest Wrestling Stars of the 80's DVD. With as many wrestlers who went to Hollywood, it's a bit of a surprise that Bobby Heenan didn't. He could have been a top-list comedian and comedic actor and this match shows his comedic acting skills. The early moments of the match see Warrior, in the ring, grabbing both of Heenan's arms while Heenan is outside the ring and ramming him into the pole. Heenan then starts running away from Warrior, but at one point Warrior squats down and hides from Heenan only to jump out and catch him by surprise. In the ring, Warrior goes to town on The Brain. Heenan pulls a foreign object out of his tights and jabs it into Warrior's throat to take control of the match. Warrior starts to fight back. Warrior whips Heenan toward the corner and Heenan flips head over heels into the corner. Warrior puts a sleeper on Heenan and Bobby is out. Now, there's a reason Warrior did a sleeper instead of his normal finish that's so that Heenan would be out of it as he puts the weasel suit on. Gorilla Monsoon, Superstar Graham, and Sean Mooney on commentary start joking about what they would have put in the suit. Everything from fire ants to crazy glue. Once the weasel suit is fully on, Warrior slaps Heenan awake and exits the ring. Heenan slowly comes to. He puts is hand on his face only to realize he has a paw. Then he starts chasing his own tail falling over repeatedly while trying to get out as the crowd chants "weasel". Not a great match, but not it was fun.

I-C Championship, Honky Tonk Man (c) (w/Jimmy Hart) vs Ultimate Warrior, Summerslam '88
Another squash match, this time on PPV. This match is featured on Best of Madison Square Garden, 30 Years of Summerslam, and History of the I-C Championship DVDs. I suspect mostly because it's so short they can easily squeeze it into a DVD. This match goes: punch, punch, punch, bodyslam, running shoulder block, (weak) clothesline, then Honky positions himself properly on the mat for Warrior to deliver his splash to win the title. This match is shorter than the Blade Runners squash match, and Honky lasts less time against Warrior and gets less offense than Bobby Heenan did. Still it's kinda fun to watch, though I won't be watching it, or reviewing it on any other DVDs.

I-C Championship, Ultimate Warrior (c) vs Honky Tonk Man (w/Jimmy Hart)
A rematch from Summerslam, Honky manages to last longer than he did at Summerslam at least. After starting fast, Warrior goes outside and grabs Jimmy Hart, picking him up and carrying him to the back. There are a lot of empty seats in the Spectrum. There are less than 6,000 fans in attendance for this show headlined by Randy Savage vs Haku and Jake Roberts vs Andre the Giant. Jimmy Hart returns and gives Warrior a shot with the megaphone. Honky starts choking Warrior with something as the cameras cut to the crowd so they don't show the choking. Later Warrior removes one of his tassels and begins choking Honky. Jimmy Hart gets in the ring and empties out a bag of powder into his hand, but Warrior knocks Jimmy's hand sending the powder into Hart's own face. Warrior then picks Hart up and throws him on top of Honky followed by a pin. While Jimmy Hart is no Bobby Heenan (but who is) he's still the highlight of this match. I am curious as to whether carrying Jimmy Hart to the back was planned or not.

Next Warrior talks about how he gets into his character and becomes his character. And now he's going to face someone else who became their character, the Macho Man Randy Savage.

NOPE Match
WWF Championship vs I-C Championship: Randy Savage vs Ultimate Warrior

A year before the epic title vs title showdown at WrestleMania VI, Warrior has a title vs title match with newly heel-turned WWF Champion Randy Savage. This was just one week after Savage turned on Hulk Hogan on The Main Event. After entering the ring, Savage gets a glimpse of two fans holding a heart-shaped sign that says "Hogan Loves Elizabeth". Warrior catches Savage off guard and Savage has to retreat to the outside where he stars jaw-jacking with some fans. Savage goes to the top rope for a cross-body splash, Warrior catches him but can't quite keep his feet as he falls carrying Savage. The fight goes to the outside as Savage delivers his double ax-handle from the top rope onto The Warrior who is outside the ring. Savage tosses Warrior back into the ring and then snaps Warrior's neck across the top rope while leaping to the outside. A while later, Rick Rude comes to ringside and begins posing in an attempt to distract Warrior. Savage makes a pinfall attempt but Warrior kicks out. Savage put a sleeper on Warrior. Warrior starts to get energized like he's going to break free but Savage pulls Warrior down by the hair. Savage breaks the sleeper just to deliver some blows to Warrior and reapply the sleeper. Warrior gets up and breaks the hold. The two men run the ropes and clothesline each other, but Savage comes out the better on that. Savage hits his patented double axhandle to Warrior and goes for a pin, but Warrior throws Savage off of him. Warrior reverses a suplex into a suplex of his own. Rick Rude then comes out and starts posing in an attempt to distract Warrior. It takes a several minutes before Warrior notices Rude. Meanwhile, Warrior goes for his splash but Savage gets his knees up. Rude gets right up in Warrior's face but still Warrior doesn't notice him. Once Warrior finally notices Rude he goes to the outside and begins chasing him as Rude backpedals. Warrior has his lifted choke on Rude on the outside as Savage hits his double axhandle to Warrior once again causing Warrior to get counted out. Rude gets in the ring and he and Savage shake hands. Warrior then gets back in the ring and takes both men out. Warrior clotheslines Rude followed by his press slam. Savage wins, but does not win the I-C title. Best match so far by a long shot. These two were simply on fire. These two would go on to have several more matches with each other in the coming months each time ending with Rick Rude coming out, distracting Warrior leading Warrior to get counted out.

I-C Championship, Rick Rude (c) (w/Bobby Heenan) vs Ultimate Warrior, Summerslam '89
These two had a pose down at Royal Rumble followed by a title match at WrestleMania in which Rude won the title after Heenan held Warrior's foot down. Rude deluvers several punches to Warrior with no effect. Warrior picks Rude uo and dumps him on the outside of the ring. Warrior follows him outside. Warrior throws Rude into the timekeeper's table. He then grabs the belt and hits Rude with it. On commentary, Jesse Ventura says that should be a DQ, while Tony Sciavone (during his short stint in the WWF) says that it's on the outside, to which Jesse replies with "are you telling me you can shoot somebody as long as it's outside the ring?" Warrior suplexes Rude on the outside, throws him back in the ring, and then tosses him back out. After a few moves in the ring, they're back in the ring and Warrior delivers an double axhandle from the top turnbuckle. Warrior goes for the pin but Rude kicks out. Warrior goes back to the top turnbuckle but Rude knocks him down crotching him. Rude does everything he can to keep Warrior down, but Warrior won't stay down. Rude applies a sleeper but Warrior drops down ramming his head into Rude's chin. After a criss-cross the two men collide knocking both men, and the referee, down. The referee is still down as Warrior delivers several clotheslines followed by a powerslam. He goes for a pin but the referee is still down. Warrior hits a piledriver. The referee slowly gets up the count but Rude gets his foot on the ropes. Rude picks Warrior up for something in between a piledriver and a powerbomb. Rude goes for a pin, Warrior kicks out, but with less force. Rowdy Roddy Piper comes to the ring as Piper and Rude have been feuding. Rude starts posing to taunt Piper, so Piper flashes his backside at Rude. Warrior delivers a belly-to-back suplex to Rude. Warrior hits his signature press slam and splash followed by the 1-2-3. This was certainly an exciting match especially near the end. Not as good as the Savage or Hogan matches but it still had a lot of good storytelling.

NOPE Matches
Ultimate Warrior vs Bob Bradley, Superstars 9/16/89
Ultimate Warrior vs Brian Costello, Superstars 12/23/89

These are significant because both times when Warrior pins his opponent he does so with one knee on his opponent. With Bradley he wrestles half the match with the belt on, before taking it off and dropping it on Bradley. Then after the match stuffing Bradley underneath the ring. With Costello he carries him halfway up the aisle after the match before depositing him on the floor.

Next up is a forgettable Brother Love show with Warrior, Andre the Giant, and Bobby Heenan

I-C Championship, Ultimate Warrior vs Andre the "Ultimate" Giant, Madison Square Garden October 28, 1989
Before Warrior even comes to the ring, Bobby Heenan is ejected from ringside. Warrior runs to the ring. The match goes clothes line, clothesline, Warrior runs around the ring, clothesline, Andre is down, splash, 1-2-3. Warrior's music never stops from the time he comes to the ring to the time he leaves. I looked it up and, from what I found, this was the only time after WrestleMania III that Andre was pinned in the WWF, and the only time he lost at Madison Square Garden.

I-C Championship, Ultimate Warrior vs Andre the "Ultimate" Giant, Saturday Night's Main Event November 25, 1989
Poor Mean Gene has the task of interviewing Warrior about the match when Warrior talks about fear. There's nothing really special to report on this match. While Andre is trapped in the ropes and the referee tries to free him, Heenan gets in the ring attacks Warrior with the belt. Warrior picks Heenan up and throws him onto Andre. Andre is DQ'ed for outside interference. Most Warrior matches it's his opponent making him look good. This time it's Warrior making his opponent look good. Warrior does a good job of selling Andre's moves. This is very forgettable.

This disc starts with the buildup to WrestleMania VI. We start with the "Crash the plane" promo. This promo is one (if not THE) most bizarre promos of Warrior's career (that's saying a lot). It's not available on Peacock (unless it's on a special program), so I decided to place a link to YouTube below. Check it out.

NOPE Match
I-C Championship, Ultimate Warrior (c) vs Mr. Perfect, Madison Square Garden March 19, 1990

Just two weeks before WrestleMania Warrior puts his title on the line against one of the greatest in-ring technicians of all time. Mr. Perfect is undefeated going into this match. Perfect's manager, The Genius is not at ringside for this match. The match starts off with a criss-cross ending with Warrior delivering a blow to the gut. After that, Perfect kinda backs off away from Warrior. At one point Warrior grabs Perfect by the hair and tosses him down on the mat and Perfect slides into home plate--er the ring post--crotch first. Warrior tries his splash only to have Perfect get his knees up. Perfect soon tosses Warrior between the ropes to the outside. Warrior comes back and does a sunset flip from the outside of the ropes in but does not get a pin. Moment's later, Perfect delivers a perfect standing drop kick. It really is a thing of beauty. Perfect has a reverse double chinlock (basically a Camel Cluth without the opponent's arms across the legs) on Warrior and it really looks weak. Warrior starts to get out by gathering energy and getting himself going. Perfect tries a few blows, but to no avail. Warrior gets a few clotheslines on Perfect followed by a flying shoulder block. Warrior then hits his gorilla press followed by a splash and pins Mr. (no longer) Perfect. WHY???? This booking makes no sense. The undefeated Mr. Perfect suffers his first loss at a Madison Square Garden show right before WrestleMania? I'm not sure why The Genius wasn't there but I think the best course of action would have been some sort of DQ/countout. Perfect would go on to lose again to Brutus Beefcake at WrestleMania. What did he do to piss of Vince? He would follow that up by winning the vacant I-C title, though the Perfect one would not win single PPV match in 1990 or 91. This is Warrior's second encounter with a technical savant, though this match isn't as good as the Randy Savage match. Perhaps because Perfect was seen as a mid-carder and Warrior was a main eventer whereas in the Savage match Savage was the main eventer and Warrior was a mid-carder on the rise the booking of the two matches saw Savage looking a lot better than Perfect did.

Next Warrior talks about WrestleMania VI. He talks about how there were carts to take the wrestlers to the ring but when Warrior was informed of this he told the assistants that he was running to the ring. To which, the assistants go and tell Vince, Vince angrily tracks down Warrior, Warrior tells him that he's running to the ring and Vince tells the assistants he's running to the ring.

Next we get both Hogan and Warrior's pre-match interviews. Okerlund interviews Hogan in the interview area and Hogan asks Warrior if he wants to live forever and says Warrior needs to breathe his last breath and that he and the Hulkamaniacs can save him and turn the darkness that he lives in into light and that they can save the little Warriors by telling them to take their vitamins and say their prayers and he hopes Warrior is a good loser. Next we go to Sean Mooney in the locker room with Warrior who shoves poor Sean Mooney away and does the interview all by himself. Warrior asks Hogan if Hogan wants to live forever and that the Hulkamaniacs can live forever through him. Warrior says the darkness is nothing to fear and is about accepting the challenges at the risk of losing everything. Warrior says he's not there to destroy Hulkamania but rather bring the Warriors and the Hulkamaniacs together as one and the colors of the Hulkamaniacs are coming through the pores of his skin. Honestly, for once Warrior's promo is no stranger than his opponent's.

We then move onto a video package of some of the events leading up to WrestleMania including Royal Rumble, SNME when they teamed together against Perfect & Genius and Warrior accidentally clotheslined Hogan, The Main Event when Warrior faced Earthquake and Hogan saved Warrior from Quake, and TV when Warrior saved Hogan from Earthquake (though that was a little to late since Quake had already splashed Hogan) and Warrior looks like he's going to clothesline Hogan but stops. That brings us to the match itself.

Title vs Title, Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior, WrestleMania VI
Now we're on to the biggest WrestleMania match since Hogan vs Andre. Normally I wouldn't post a review a match like this that has been shown and reviewed so many times, but it was Warrior's title win that made me a wrestling fan. No, I didn't watch it live. I never watched a wrestling PPV live until the WWE Network came along and even then it was a few years. But, I remember seeing Warrior on the cover of WWF Magazine holding the belts and I started watching wrestling on TV and became a fan of Warrior and the rest is history. I'll only talk about my favorite spots of this match. They lock up in a Greco-Roman knuckle lock. At first it's even until Warrior forces Hogan to the ground. The referee asks Hogan if he wanst to give up, but Hogan fights his way back up and Hogan starts to take control forcing Warrior to his knees. Warrior starts to come back. Hogan breaks the hold and takes Warrior down. Then we do a criss-cross ending with Hogan scooping and slamming Warrior. Then the go back at it again with the criss-cross this time Warrior slams Hogan. Warrior clotheslines Hogan to the floor and Hogan appears to have injured his knee and is limping. Warrior goes outside and targets Hogan's knee. Warrior tosses Hogan back in the ring. Later Hogan applies a front face lock to Warrior and Gorilla Monsoon says "What a punishing hold this is" to which Jesse Ventura responds with "Absolutely, ask Richard Belzer." Nothing much significant for a while until a double clothesline takes both men down. You can call this a few moments of rest for two guys who aren't used to going 20 minutes, but I call this fucking storytelling. As a kid I found it significant that Warrior lost all of his face paint and paint on his chest during this match. Warrior gets up first and takes control. Warrior puts a bear hug on Hogan wearing him down. Hogan's arm drops twice, but not a third time as he comes back. They do another crisscross this time ending with Earl Hebner taking the blow. Warrior goes for his flying shoulder tackle but Hogan side-steps him taking him down. Hogan goes for the pin counts 1-2-3 but there's no referee. Warrior picks Hogan up and delivers a suplex and counts 1-2-3 himself but still no referee. The referee comes to and soon Warrior does his finishing combination but Hogan kicks out! That's never happened before. Hogan hits the boot and goes for the leg drop but Warrior moves out of the way. Warrior hits the splash and NEWWWWWWWW World Champion, The Ultimate Warrior. Hogan goes outside the ring grabs the WWF title belt and personally hands the belt to Warrior raising his hand. The two men hug. Fireworks explode as Warrior stands in the ring and raises both belts. Sure this match wasn't a technical masterpiece. In fact, it was kinda slow at times. But the drama was off the charts. The crowd reaction was 10/10 for the whole match. If you're not aware, much like how Mick Foley was in the crowd for Superfly's leap, future WWE superstar Edge was in attendance for this match.

WWF Championship, Ultimate Warrior (c) vs Ted DiBiase, WWF/New Japan Wrestling Summit (April 13, 1990 at Tokyo Dome)
More than 53,000 fans are in attendance as WWF travels to Japan for this epic encounter that can be seen on the 1990 World Tour home video with Vince McMahon and Jesse Ventura on commentary available on Peacock. DiBiase attacks Warrior from behind as Warrior is posing before the match. Virgil was not at ringside and it was suggested by Vince McMahon that he was barred from ringside from the wrestling commission. Warrior goes for a flying shoulder tackle but DiBiase side-steps him and drives him down to the mat. DiBiase maintains control with a suplex. Warrior comes back with a series of clotheslines followed by his big splash and a pin. Warrior wins after about 6 minutes. Not much to this match. Hardly an epic encounter. Not really deserving of a WWF title match on a huge card such as this. The card also featured Bret Hart vs Tiger Mask II, Mr. Perfect & Rick Martel vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Haku, Andre the Giant & Giant Baba vs Demolition (in Andre's last ever WWF match), and the main event of Hulk Hogan vs Stan Hansen (who as substituting for Terry Gordy).

WWF Championship, Ultimate Warrior (c) vs Rick Rude (with manager Bobby Heenan), Saturday Night's Main Event July 28, 1990
Prematch promo from Warrior talking about being at the top of the food chain and being the ultimate animal. Rude with a sneak attack on Warrior to start the match, but Warrior turns it around quickly ramming Rude's head into the turnbuckle repeatedly. Rude does a great job at selling Warrior's moves. After knocking Rude to the outside, Warrior grabs Rude's and Heenan's heads and rams them together. Warrior goes for his finishing splash, but Rude moves out of the way and Warrior hits the mat before rolling to the floor. Rude grabs the WWF Championship belt and nails Warrior with it while Heenan distracts the referee. Rude goes to the top rope, leaps for an unknown move, but Warrior nails him in the midsection. Warrior's control doesn't last long as Rude takes back control. Rude attempts a bodyslam but Warrior blocks it. Rude manages to get a sleeper on Warrior and Warrior starts walking around with Rude on his back. Warrior slowly starts to go down. Instead of lifting Warrior's arm to check his consciousness, the referee lifts Warrior's leg. It only drops twice before Warrior comes to and breaks the hold. Rude hits a Rude Awakening on Warrior and goes for a pin, but only gets two. Warrior comes back around with a series of clotheslines, shoulder tackle, splash, and one, two...no, wait, Bobby Heenan breaks up the count. Warrior chases after Heenan, Rude chases after Warrior, Warrior lifts Rude up and carries him towards the ring, but Heenan attacks. Warrior gets Heenan in the ring and makes The Brain pay. Warrior tosses Heenan over the top rope and out as the bell rings and Warrior's music hits. Warrior apparently wins by DQ. This was a decent match. I think it was worthy of headlining a Saturday Night's Main Event.

WWF Championship, Ultimate Warrior (c) vs Ted DiBiase (with Virgil), Saturday Night's...er THE Main Event, November 23, 1990
If you don't know the story of this event, this was supposed to be a 90 minutes Saturday Night's Main Event Show, but shortly after the show was taped in late October, NBC cancelled the show and replaced it with a 60 minute Main Event show. The match that was cut from the broadcast for time was Hart Foundation vs Rockers in which The Rockers won the Tag Team Championships in a Best 2 of 3 Falls Match, however the top rope broke during the first fall and had to be repaired between falls. For whatever reason, the WWF decided not to go along with the title change and returned the belts to The Hart Foundation. That match can be seen on the Shawn Michaels: Heartbreak and Triumph DVD. This was the feature match of the show. They start with a collar-and-elbow tie-up with Warrior shoving DiBiase away. A couple of minutes in DiBiase knocks Warrior to the outside. Upon getting back in the ring, DiBiase has control. DiBiase dropw Warrior with a suplex, goes for a pin, but only gets two. On the outside now, DiBiase rams Warrior into the steps before throwing him back in. DiBiase hits a few punches to the head of Warrior, but Warrior shrugs them off and reverses a suplex. The two men criss-cross and both knock each other down. They get up, Warrior starts hitting his finishing moves, but then Virgil gets in the ring and attacks Warrior causing a DQ. Warrior lifts Virgil in the air for a press-slam but Randy Savage gets in the ring and nails Warrior in the mid-section with his scepter. Savage continues his attack on Warrior and steals the belt. Sherri begins kicking Warrior while he's down. Savage goes off the top rope and hits Warrior with a double ax handle. Another decent match. If I were to grade these on a 5-star scale, I'd put both of these last two matches at two and a half stars.

WWF Championship, Ultimate Warrior (c) vs Sgt. Slaughter (with General Adnan), Huntsville, AL, January 7, 1991
From WWF SuperTape 4, is this big championship match. Just a few weeks before their showdown at Royal Rumble. This match follows much the same format as the previous two, but with a little more action outside the ring to the advantage of Warrior's opponent. Sarge rams Warrior's head into the timekeeper's table before they get back in the ring. Slaughter takes a few head-first rams into the turnbuckle during this match. Eight years earlier that would have resulted in bloodshed, but not in 1991. Later Slaughter gets the Camel Clutch on Warrior, but Warrior's feet are underneath the ropes. The referee calls for a break, and Slaughter thinks he's won the championship, but the referee says 'no'. Warrior comes back hits the clotheslines, shoulder tackle, splash, and Warrior wins. On it's surface it's another mid match but after the last two, this just feels dull and repetitive.

NOPE Match
Steel Cage Match, Ultimate Warrior vs Randy Savage, Madison Square Garden January 21, 1991

Savage had just cost Warrior the WWF Championship against Sgt. Slaughter at Royal Rumble. Savage attacks Warrior outside the ring as Warrior makes his entrance. The two men finally enter the cage for the official start to the match. Warrior continues to dominate the match inside the cage. Sensational Sherri keeps having a fit trying to get in the cage. A double clothesline takes both men down. Savage crawls to Warrior and goes for a pin. Now, while pinfalls are allowed in this match, the referee is on the outside and has to get in the ring to count the pin. Warrior kicks out after two. Savage rams Warrior's head into the cage. Savage goes to the top rope and hits his big elbow. Savage goes for the pin, but Warrior lifts Savage off of him. Savage continues his beatdown, but Warrior is powering up. Warrior hits the clotheslines followed by the big splash, but Savage gets his knees up. Savage attempts to escape of the top of the cage. He's down to the bottom rung when Warrior reaches through the bars and grabs his hair (one of the advantages to the steel bar cage). Sherri gets in the ring and goes after Warrior. Sherri starts choking Warrior with her blouse causing Warrior to let go of Savage allowing Savage to reach the floor to win the match. Now, it's Warrior and Sherri in the ring as WWF pushes the limits of it's PG rating with Warrior disrobing Sherri. Savage gets back in and attacks Warrior. Savage goes to the top of the cage for a double ax handle but Warrior catches him with a blow to the gut. Warrior continues to attack Savage as referees try to stop him. The Nasty Boys get in the ring and try to hold Warrior back but he fights them off. Sherri, now dressed again, enters hits Warrior with the scepter but Warrior grabs Sherri again. Warrior picks Sherri up and drops her with his press slam. Warrior then stand with one foot on Sherri posing. While not as good of a match as the last Savage-Warrior match and certainly not as good as their upcoming WrestleMania encounter, but adding the cage as an element made it enjoyable as well as adding Sherri's involvement.

NOPE Segment
Brother Love Show with guest The Ultimate Warrior, Superstars March 2, 1991

"I looooooove yooooou. My guest this week has been WWF Champion. Ny guest this week has been a great competitor. I guess you can say 'has been' describes my guest this week...You might even call him an Ultimate has been." Brother Love's going to regret everything he just said. Warrior talks about how he's going to end Savage's career. Warrior then says he's going to start ending careers right now and starts tearing apart the Brother Love Show set and podium. Warrior chases Brother Love to ringside, tossing him in the ring. Warrior delivers a right hand to Blubber Love (as Roddy Piper calls him). That's followed by some short-arm clotheslines, a flying shoulder tackle, and two splashes. And thus, Brother Love's career was over. That was fun to watch.

Career Ending Match, Ultimate Warrior vs Randy Savage, WrestleMania VII
Now, much like WrestleMania VI, this match has been covered numerous times already, but this match has personal value for me. WrestleMania VII was the first WrestleMania since I became a wrestling fan, and Warrior was my guy. Now, this event was originally supposed to be held at the Coliseum and it was even announced as such during WrestleMania VI, but according to WWE, they received threats due to the Sgt. Slaughter American turncoat angle, and had to move indoors. In reality, they couldn't sell enough tickets for the large outdoor venue. Before either man's entrance can begin, Bobby Heenan points out that Miss Elizabeth is in attendance for this match. Heenan says she's here to see Savage lose and rub it in. Warrior comes to the ring walking, and not running, and wearing a colorful coat with tassels on it. Bobby Heenan asks if that is THE Ultimate Warrior. It was around that time that there was a popular rumor going around every playground in the country that the Ultimate Warrior had died and that Kerry Von Erich was portraying the character, now. Warrior has airbrushed kneepads with his and Savage's faces on them and airbrushed trunks that on the back has a picture of the WWF Championship belt and the words "Means much more than this". This match is much more of a wrestling match than the Hogan match. Savage goes to the top for a double ax handle, but Warrior catches him. But instead of slamming Savage, him simply puts him down on his feet and slaps him across the face. Savage exits the ring to take a break and starts rearranging furniture. Savage tries to blindside Warrior in the ring but Warrior catches on to it. After Warrior whips Savage into the corner and runs after hi, Savage moves out of the way and Warrior tumbles to the outside. While on the outside, Sensational Sherri attacks Warrior. In the ring Savage wears down Warrior with a sleeper hold, but Warrior comes back. A double clothesline knocks both men down as Sherri tries to get her man back in the match. Warrior gets Savage in a small package, but Sherri has the referee distracted. Warrior begins arguing with the referee as Savage hits him from behind knocking Warrior into the referee. Sherri jumps up on the top rope with her shoe removed. Savage holds Warrior in place for Sherri to hit him with her shoe, but Warrior moves out of the way and she hits Savage. A short while later Warrior is down as Savage goes to the top rope and hits his patented elbow, not once, not twice, not even three times, but five times before going for a pin, but Warrior kicks out. Savage can't believe it. Warrior begins his big comeback hitting all of his signature moves but Savage kicks out of the pinfall attemt. Warrior begins looking up to the sky, then looking at his hands as if he's asking the gods what to do. Warrior begins to walk away and steps outside the ropes onto the ring apron. The referee tells him that if he's counted out he loses and encourages Warrior to get back in before Savage knocks him off the apron. Savage places Warrior's throat across the guard rail and goes to the top rope for a double ax handle, much like he did to Ricky Steamboat more than four years earlier. Warrior moves out of the way and Savage hits the guard rail himself. Back in the ring Warrior hits multiple flying shoulder tackles to Savage and each time Savage rolls to the outside. Finally after one of the shoulder tackles, Warrior pins Savage by standing over him and placing his boot on Savage's body to win the match. After the match Sherri gets in the ring and begins attacking Macho Man that drives Miss Elizabeth from her seat and after Sherri. Savage and Elizabeth are reunited in the center of the ring. Fans are crying as Randy hoists Elizabeth onto his shoulders. This match has far better wrestling than the Hogan match, as of course Randy Savage is a far better wrestler than Hogan. So the burning question is, which match do I prefer? That is a very difficult question. I think I'm going with the Hulk Hogan match because of all of the excitement over the match and the split crowd.

NOPE Segment
The Funeral Parlor with guest The Ultimate Warrior, Superstars April 13, 1991

Other than The Undertaker, Warrior was the very first guest on the Funeral Parlor. Paul Bearer has a special casket with the Warrior's logo graphics on it. Bearer claims Warrior is scared to face Undertaker. Warrior grabs Paul Bearer by the collar as The Undertaker comes out from a coffin on the set and attacks Warrior. Undertaker hits Warrior with the urn repeatedly. Undertaker then picks Warrior up and places him in the casket. As Undertaker attempts to close the lid, Warrior attempts to fight back, but Undertaker manages to close the lid and lock Warrior in. Tony Garea, Dave Hebner, Blackjack Lanza and other officials come out and attempt to open the casket, but to no avail. They use a crowbar, a chisel, and even a drill. It takes several minutes but the finally get the casket open and Warrior appears unconscious. The officials perform CPR on Warrior. Eventually Warrior comes back around. I don't remember watching this segment as a kid, but to see your hero like that. That's got to be scary for a kid. What a way to get The Undertaker over.

Ultimate Warrior vs Undertaker, Toronto, June 2, 1991
This match was taped for Rampage '91 home video. Usually it's the Warrior purposely no-selling his opponent's moves for effect, but this time it's Warrior's opponent who is unphased but Warrior's attacks. And that was a common part of The Undertaker's gimmick in his early years. Undertaker places his hand right over Warrior's nose and mouth smothering him as Paul Bearer encourages him. There's not a lot going on at this point in the match. Later Warrior is down as Undertaker goes for an elbow drop and misses. Though it has little to no effect on him. Warrior comes back and hits all of his big moves, but Undertaker counters. Undertaker then hits the Tombstone on Warrior. Undertaker goes for a pin, but Warrior kicks out. Undertaker grabs the urn and hits Warrior with it. Undertaker is DQ'ed. Undertaker continues to beat down Warrior then rolls him into a body bag. Warrior comes around and fights back. This match is dull. A lot of it follows typical Undertaker style for his early matches. What many people may not realize is that after WrestleMania VII Undertaker went into quite a losing streak. His only wins over the summer came against jobbers. That would end at a house show in September when the WWF ran the King of the Ring tournament and Undertaker beat Road Warrior Animal in the first round before fighting to a double DQ against Sid Justice in the second.

Next Warrior talks about how he took time off from WWF and got busy "doing other stuff" outside the wrestling business. He makes no mention of why he left. He says that his return was the "loudest pop" he's ever heard. This segment also has highlights from the post-WrestleMania press conference where Warrior, in a very un-Warrior-like way talks about how he "took some time off" after being on the road so much.

NOPE Segment
Gene Okerlund interviews Ultimate Warrior and Randy Savage, Superstars July 25, 1992

Warrior says how he sees Savage as ONE of the best, but not THE best. Savage says he's better than the best. Warrior and Savage look like they're about to come to blows on the interview podium, when Ric Flair and Mr. Perfect get in the ring. Flair says he's been beating guys with pain on their faces his whole career. Flair says he could beat Savage right there. Mr. Perfect then calls Savage the Macho chicken. Savage runs to the ring and goes after Flair, but Perfect is there to attack Savage. The double team is on until Warrior comes to Savage's aid. Warrior then sees the WWF title belt on the ring mat and slowly picks it up and stares at it. Warrior goes to hand the belt to Savage but Savage snatches it away. The two are once again about the come to blows but officials keep them apart. This would lead to an angle where Flair and Perfect tried to get into the heads of both Warrior and Savage by telling each one that the other had made a deal with them. Then at Summerslam was the big "which one sold out, Savage or Warrior?" Neither man came out with Flair and Perfect, but Flair and Perfect would interfere in the match causing Savage to get counted out.

Warrior then talks about changing his diet to get his shit back together. Warrior talks about what Randy Savage taught him about changing up his look. He then talks about the lead up to Survivor Series and says how he "left again". That's followed by an Ultimate Maniacs promo in which Savage says they're "Riding on the edge of a lightning bolt."

WWF Tag Team Championships, Money Inc. (c) vs Ultimate Maniacs, Saturday Night's Main Event, November 14, 1992
The Ultimate Maniacs. An attempt by the WWF to put together a super team the likes of the Mega Powers. Here they are in their first, and only televised match. They hit the ring fast and the fight is on. The Maniacs work on DiBiase next. Warrior hits a suplex on DiBiase followed by a flying shoulder tackle attempt which DiBiase side-steps allowing the tag to IRS. IRS has a sleeper on Warrior and the broadcast goes to a split-screen with Ric Flair, Razor Ramon, and Mr. Perfect in the locker room watching the match. Soon DiBiase puts the Million $ Dream on Warrior until Savage comes to his partner's aid. After a brawl breaks out in the ring with the challengers in control the champs decide to take a walk. The big tag title match ends in a countout of course. WWF had no plans to put the belts on Warrior & Savage nor did they want them to take a loss. Maniacs chase Money Inc. to the entrance way where Flair & Razor attack. It's now a 4-on-2 attack. This match was nothing special other than the fact that it was Warrior's last televised match until 1996. It was also the last Saturday Night's Main Event until 2006. Also on this card saw Davey Boy Smith drop the I-C title to Shawn Michaels in Smith's last TV match until 1994.

Warrior then talks about setting other goals for himself including running his own gym. And then how Vince McMahon invited him back.

Ultimate Warrior vs Hunter Hearst-Helmsley, WrestleMania XII
This match was not only the return of The Ultimate Warrior but also the debut of Sable as Hunter's valet for the night. Lawler says that Warrior is now 400 pounds and has had his head shaved. The match itself goes a whole minute and a half and ends with Warrior pinning Helmsley by putting his knee on his chest.

Vince McMahon interviews Ultimate Warrior, Raw, April 8, 1996
Warrior talks about the voices of the Warriors spoke to him telling him to return. Warrior's opponent for In Your House, Goldust along with Marlena make their way to the ring. He says "You little Warrior can come in my house (long emphasis on 'come') but nobody will be there. But perhaps we can play some games. Like a superhero game. Maybe you can be Superman. I can climb on your back and we can take off and you can fly away with me in the sunset." Warrior responds with "Whatever you're into I don't give a shit." Warrior then attacks Goldust.

Ultimate Warrior vs Jerry Lawler, King of the Ring '96
Jerry Lawler heads to the ring first and cuts a promo about being king before insulting the Milwaukee Brewers and then the fans. Lawler's entrance takes 5 minutes. The match itself takes 4 minutes. Lawler dominates early using his scepter, using wrist tape, and another foreign object on Warrior. Lawler hits a piledriver on Warrior, which actually brings the Warrior back. Warrior then hits the clotheslines, flying shoulder tackle, splash and the match is over.

Nitro, August 17, 1998
Hollywood Hogan, Eric Bischoff, and The Disciple come to the ring and talk about the upcoming War Games. Hogan says that there's no one he can't beat the get his belt back. The lights flicker then go dark before Warrior appears and makes his way to the ring. Hogan looks shocked, and even afraid. Hogan offers Warrior an NWO shirt, but Warrior will have nothing of it. Warrior talks about how Hogan has never beaten him. Warrior says he defeated the un-defeatable in the form of Hogan. Warrior looks to Disciple and says "he must be your barber." He then threatens Bischoff if Bischoff gets involved in his business. Warrior says he's the one who has the power to destroy Hogan. He says he's not here to beat Hogan up because beating him means nothing because everyone's beaten him. Warrior then says he's going to start a revolution next week. Same Warrior time, same Warrior place, same Warrior channel. Warrior then disappears into a plume of smoke.

Warrior then talks about how Eric Bischoff used Turner's money to have him lose to Hogan.

Nitro, October 26, 1998
Warrior cuts a promo, only the microphone can only be heard in the arena and not on TV. Warrior says he beat the hell out of Hogan and the bullsh*t pinfall means nothing. Hogan comes out to confront Warrior. Horace hits the ring and is attacked by Warrior. The Giant comes in next and Warrior knocks him out of the ring. Hogan then comes from behind and attacks Warrior but Warrior fights him off.

So, before I wrap up this DVD I want to add some thoughts on Warrior's WCW run. The biggest problem, and I don't recall hearing a reason for this, is why did Warrior leave WCW after the Hogan match? His promo on Nitro seemed as though they were setting up for another match. A rubber match between the two, possibly at Starrcade. So why drop it? Why did Warrior leave right away? This really seems like another attempt by WCW to recreate a popular WWF feud and Hogan using his power to get his way. I've heard a lot of criticism about AEW being a lot of former WWE wrestlers. Well not only was WCW in the late 90's a lot of former WWF wrestlers, it was a lot of the same feuds. Now with the Randy Savage feud, Savage could still go. He was still on top of his game as an A+ performer. Plus, Savage didn't exclusively feud with Hogan, we was a regular in WCW for several years. With Roddy Piper there was at least the big difference of Piper now being the babyface and seeking revenge against the now heel Hogan for beating him a decade earlier. But, the Warrior return made no sense. Why would Warrior confront Hogan? Because Hogan was running his mouth? Warrior had nothing else to prove. If this feud had continued to a rubber match, then maybe it would be worthwhile. If Warrior had contributed to WCW in some other way feuding with someone else, then it could have made his run worthwhile. But just the couple of matches were pointless.

This concludes The Ultimate Warrior Ultimate Collection. Warrior telling his story on this DVD was about as sensical as many of his promos. He completely skipped over why he left WWF in 1991, again in 92, and again in 96. Now, we've heard the reports. He held Vince up for more money, he supposedly failed a drug test (there are conflicting reports on that), then no-showed several scheduled appearances. I would have liked to have heard things from Warrior himself as to what went on. Tell his side of the story. As far as removing matches/segments from this DVD, I would remove a couple of squash matches. I understand wanting to show off Warrior's dominance, but it just gets to be too much. I would also remove the Jerry Lawler match as well as the Money Inc. match. Matches that should be included in this collection, first and foremost is Summerslam '92 against Randy Savage. I know it would have been the fourth match between the two on this DVD, but it's a really good match. And this may be and odd choice but I would include the 1989 Survivor Series with Warrior teaming with Jim Neidhart and The Rockers against Andre, Haku, Arn Anderson, and Bobby Heenan. It's not a great match but it's enjoyable and I think could work. Warrior is one of those wrestlers whose reputation has soured with age. Some people still love him, some not. He was not a great wrestler, but he could tell a good story. His promos didn't make sense but they were part of his unique character. He was truly one of a kind and no one could ever copy him.

Warrior was pretty PG, at least on camera. Even Roddy Piper was TV-14 at his peak. But, now, why don't we push things a little further? Why not push things to the Extreme? How about a Stretcher Match, a Barbed Wire Match, a Weapons Match, an "I Quit" Match, multiple death matches of different varieties, and a whole lot of blood on this TV-MA rated DVD.

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley