Shelton Benjobber

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

seX-Power

1) It hyped SS team match. BTW, I dont think he came out looking weak from that lose. They wrestled for 15 minutes and he dominated for mostly all the match.

I assume you mean the Matt Hardy match. Yes, he looked strong in the match but still, he lost, and all the domination can't change what impression the casual fan gets at the end of the match, and that is that Matt must be better and that Shelton lost, he must suck.

2) You see the ECW belt as equal to the US title as an IWC member. To the casual fan, and as the WWE expect them to portray it, it is the top belt of a brand and almost a World Belt (technically you can still use the Royal Rumble to challenge for the ECW championship), so yeah, Hardy is above him.

I actually don't see the ECW belt equal to the US title and I consider it a World title belt. I also acknowledged that Hardy was above him. I just questioned why he would need to face people higher than him and lose every time. I understand him losing but not having him in the match in the first place. It makes the champion look weak that way, even if he loses to people better than him.

He lost to MATT HARDY and R-Truth.

There was also a Shelton/MVP v Funaki/Truth match where the heels lost. He didn't get pinned, but that's not what the casual fans remember.

The Rated R CMStar

I assume you mean the Matt Hardy match. Yes, he looked strong in the match but still, he lost, and all the domination can't change what impression the casual fan gets at the end of the match, and that is that Matt must be better and that Shelton lost, he must suck

It does. It is not the same MVP getting squashed by Khali than Shelton dominating and losing by one out of nowhere TOF.

just questioned why he would need to face people higher than him and lose every time. I understand him losing but not having him in the match in the first place

Ok, tell me something. You don't want him losing to people higher than him, hell, you don't want him even competiting with them. You say he needs to face people on the same level. He's paired with Helms and they have Helms a win so that Shelton has something to do for about a month, and you whine about that, because if you expect Shelton vs Helms on PPV, and no, not because Helms beat Benjamin clean and nothing will come out of it, but simply because that feud is not PPV material. But anyways, moving on, tell me then who should face Shelton, and oh, how will you build a feud around him since:

1) You dont want him to lose.
2) You expect every feud to end on a PPV, or then it means nothing.

There was also a Shelton/MVP v Funaki/Truth match where the heels lost. He didn't get pinned, but that's not what the casual fans remember.

You do know that the only difference between you and a casual fan is that you read little rumors and spoilers in a website right? It's not like the casual fan is mentally Blue

seX-Power

It does. It is not the same MVP getting squashed by Khali than Shelton dominating and losing by one out of nowhere TOF.

When people think abck on matches like these, they remember the outcome.

Ok, tell me something. You don't want him losing to people higher than him, hell, you don't want him even competiting with them. You say he needs to face people on the same level. He's paired with Helms and they have Helms a win so that Shelton has something to do for about a month, and you whine about that, because if you expect Shelton vs Helms on PPV, and no, not because Helms beat Benjamin clean and nothing will come out of it, but simply because that feud is not PPV material. But anyways, moving on, tell me then who should face Shelton, and oh, how will you build a feud around him since:

I don't expect a PPV match to come out of it, there can't be one for every feud. What I am expecting is actually a solid feud, with interactions, making things personal, talking to eachother in the ring, and building it through various matches on Smackdown. What I don't want is a pre taped heel promo by Shelton, followed by a tag match and then the champion retaining and ending the fued next week. That means nothing to me, and it would make Shelton's loss worthless. I don't mind who Shelton faces, I don't even have a problem with Helms. All I want id for him to have a proper feud with whoever he is facing.

1) You dont want him to lose.

No, I don't want the champion to lose as it makes the belt and champ look weak. I also want him to lose the belt and give it to somebody that can carry a good feud that the WWE aren't afraid to give time or put on a PPV. There were basically two ideas that I threw out to slove this and one was booking stronger, which you disagree with as Shelton isn't very good at gaining heat so can't make very good fueds. (I agree with you here) The other option was to give the belt to somebody that can make good fueds and put the belt on a PPV match, and look better.

2) You expect every feud to end on a PPV, or then it means nothing.

No, I expect every feud to actually mean something, not to have a random selection about matches and maybe a 'highly emotional' stare down or a pre taped promo. I believe I've gone on enough about this and made my points clear.

The Rated R CMStar

1) You CAN'T make every feud personal. It wouldn't make sense to do so, and feuds dont need that to be succesful.

And then, the feud between R-Truth and Shelton was booked to be interesting. It failed because Shelton couldn't cut a damn promo and he got no reactions. And no, it wasnt only matches and matches. Truth beat Shelton on week 1, on week 2 they had a promo (pretaped) in which Shelton bashed Killing. Shelton got distracted by R-Truth and lost to Santino Marella. Then a tag match (a week that included mic work from R-Truth), then, they had their meeting at CS, another tag match, and then finallty their title match. I am not putting in there the confrontations they had in the ring with Shelton walking disgusted at R-Truth(that's an angle. people don't always need to talk to push a feud).

What I don't want is a pre taped heel promo by Shelton, followed by a tag match and then the champion retaining and ending the fued next week. That means nothing to me, and it would make Shelton's loss worthless

Pretaped is all Shelton can do. And even those promos are painful to hear. As proved before, Shelton's feud are more than a couple of matches, and even if they were, he got something to do for that amount of weeks, and got one more title defense, so his lost wasn't worthless.

No, I expect every feud to actually mean something, not to have a random selection about matches and maybe a 'highly emotional' stare down or a pre taped promo. I believe I've gone on enough about this and made my points clear.

And it means something, but you just decide to keep your narrow mind about what a feud should be. You just blatantly said that if a feud doesn't get emotional, it means nothing. That if a feud doesnt have mic work and confrontations, it mean nothing.

And no, you havent made your points clean. What you say makes no sense. On one thead you say you want Shelton to lose the belt, but on this one you say he needs to be booked stronger, only to then say on both that he shouldnt be beating top talent.

seX-Power

My points-

I want the US Champ, whoever it may be, to be booked stronger.

If Shelton cant make a good feud, which we have different ideas about, then I guess we need a new champ that be booked to have a good feud and look good at it.

The Rated R CMStar

Not on this thread they weren't.

The incentive to make this thread came watching this week's Smackdown when the United States Champion Shelton Benjamin lost to Hurricane Helms by a clean pinfall. And let's face it, he has been buried like this throughout his entire reign. And this can't go on forever, something needs to be done. After all the pointless losses and feuds gone nowhere he just looks like a crap champion. He did basically nothing after beating Matt Hardy and looked like a transitional champion from the beginning. Then he was involved in the scramble and lost to the main eventers he was working with at the time. Then came the pointless feud with R-Truth where he lost cleanly like, three times, and in the end nothing came of it. That feud, imo, was the ime for him to lose his title. Now he just got beaten clean by a guy who just returned last week, and he'll have to defend his title against him next week. Shelton really needs to be booked better imo, and I think he needs to get rid of the title. As much as I like the guy, I think that it will now be too hard to make him return to a dominant champion and the best option now would be having him lose the title. He is also making the championship look shit in the process

From there I read that Shelton being jobbed to people higher on the card is bad, and that it is made worse by the fact that he happens to be the US Champ, but the main point was that Sheltomn was being jobbed when he deserved better.

And I am not the only one that understood that from your post, as the posts you have received are concerning on how Shelton has to changed, on how he needs to be pushed, what needs to be done about him, NOT about the US belt.

Benjamin will always be a good option for multi person matches or as a credible midcard belt contender, but not as a champion. He isn't that good of a personality to put a belt on, and it looks like he failed again this time. I wouldn't blame it on him having no competition, it's just him being boring when he's not jumping off of a ladder. He doesn't really get heat either, it's more of just a "boo" instead of "I hate you" type of heat.

I say, repackage Shelton completely. Start from scratch, turn him babyface, give him an actual gimmick instead of him being obsessed with gold. Then give him a solid push and let him develop actual mic skills. He can turn into a good mid carder, something Smackdown! needs.

As far as him jobbing, I agree. Shelton is going nowhere, which is why I thought what I said above is a good idea

Oh, and since when we are it:

I liked his Momma gimmick but not a lot of others seem to agree on that one. Hey, it gave him heat, a few good feuds and a good mid card belt run. If only he had something like that happen to him again

Lol, please tell me a good feud he had in that gimmick.

seX-Power

From there I read that Shelton being jobbed to people higher on the card is bad, and that it is made worse by the fact that he happens to be the US Champ, but the main point was that Sheltomn was being jobbed when he deserved better.

And I am not the only one that understood that from your post, as the posts you have received are concerning on how Shelton has to changed, on how he needs to be pushed, what needs to be done about him, NOT about the US belt.

I implied that jobbing Shelton to everyone was bad, and that it was made owrse by him being champ. And yes, Shelton being jobbed is the main point but unless he was the champ, I wouldn't have made this thread, sorry if that was unclear. And yes, I was asking how Shelton needed to be changes, and whether he needed to drop the belt or not, which was my iopinion on what needed to happen in the situation.

Lol, please tell me a good feud he had in that gimmick.

I enjoyed the RVD one, but that may have been after the gimmick. Either way the gimmick got him in the position for that feud. Also, the Ric Flair one was alright, I enjoyed it from what I remember.

Can we drop this now? I think we get what the other person is saying and neither of us are getting anywhere. I got other things to do, anywayz, so let's just stop now.

The Rated R CMStar

I enjoyed the RVD one, but that may have been after the gimmick. Either way the gimmick got him in the position for that feud. Also, the Ric Flair one was alright, I enjoyed it from what I remember

Losing MITB got him in position for that feud.

I implied that jobbing Shelton to everyone was bad, and that it was made owrse by him being champ.

I want the US Champ, whoever it may be, to be booked stronger.

If Shelton cant make a good feud, which we have different ideas about, then I guess we need a new champ that be booked to have a good feud and look good at it.

Yeah, you ask for exactly the same on both posts.

seX-Power

Losing MITB got him in position for that feud.

But his gimmick got him the IC title, and that was what made the fued interesting, the double stip match at Backlash. And Shelton was in a slump before the gimmick, who knows if he would even be good enough to be in MITB without it.

Yeah, you ask for exactly the same on both posts.

So, it's not like they contradict each other, what are you getting at?

The Rated R CMStar

But his gimmick got him the IC title, and that was what made the fued interesting, the double stip match at Backlash. And Shelton was in a slump before the gimmick, who knows if he would even be good enough to be in MITB without it.

So decide yourself on what made the feud interesting, a gimmick that when the match arrived was no longer existing, or the stipulation.

So, it's not like they contradict each other, what are you getting at?

I thought I was the idiot, but hey, at least I understand sarcasm.

seX-Power

So decide yourself on what made the feud interesting, a gimmick that when the match arrived was no longer existing, or the stipulation.

The gimmick put him in that position in the card and gave him the title, which set up an interesting stipulation. What are you trying to prove by bringing this up anyway? Seriously.

I thought I was the idiot, but hey, at least I understand sarcasm.

I understand sarcasm, and I also understand where it is completely unnecessary.

TrayBlaylock

Reaction score
Until Benjamin can talk on the microphone, he won't get anywhere. Not to mention he has barely charisma. Wrestling skills doesn't get you far in this entertainment. I said it. Entertainment. You need to be entertaining character wise or you will fail. Bret Hart is the only man that comes to mind that had terrible charisma and terrible mic skills that made it big time.

C4

Shelton Benjamin has a solid future ahead of him, WWE just needs to give him that long awaited push and invest in his character :rolleyes:

If not then maybe make him look somewhat better on television to boost his popularity! And by the way, he should remain heel with his current gimmick, nothing is wrong with that.

Switchy

Reaction score
What is there that WWE can really do which can give Shelton success? WWE has given him numorous chances on all three brands as face and as heel but he hasn't really shown his talent since back in his first IC title run. Now, I admit Shelton was doing well for himself on ECW and I think if he was never drafted, WWE could have made something out of Shelton on ECW and he could have possibly been ECW champ but then he moved to SD and I thought WWE was gonna make him into something after he won the US title but then he got boring quickly for me and him jobbing week in-week out hasn't made things any better.

Now after all these years of missed oppurutinties has made me jump to the conclusion that Shelton isn't ever going to get very far as a singles competitor and WWE might as well reform WGTT with Charlie Haas and bring up someone from developmental to take Shelton's place and build him into the star Shelton could never be.