• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Shane Carwin retires from MMA

The Great Cochrane

fightline.com said:
Shane Carwin, a former interim UFC heavyweight champion, has announced his retirement. The 38-year-old finishes his MMA career with a record of 12-2.

"Officially retired 2day," Carwin posted on Twitter. "Thank you to my family, friends and fans! GOD BLESS!!!"

Carwin last fought in 2011, falling to Junior dos Santos via decision. Prior to that, he suffered his first pro defeat vs. Brock Lesnar in a unification match for the belt.

The former NCAA Div. II All-American wrestler was inducted into the wrestling hall of fame in 2011. He was scheduled to face Roy Nelson after a coaching stint on The Ultimate Fighter, but suffered a knee injury.

Back in 2011, Carwin underwent back surgery. He also had neck surgery in late 2010.

I have to admit that I saw this coming. Considering he was scheduled to fight Roy Nelson twice and had to pull out both times, it is a good move on his part. Plus all the back operations and considering how old he was, I couldn't see him holding up much longer.

I am a little disappointed that we didn't get to see him fight Cain Velasquez, that would have been a good fight.