Selling WWE?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Vince McMahon hasn’t been particularly open to the idea of selling WWE WWE -2.16% —but on an earnings call Thursday, McMahon sounded as if he’s had a change of heart.

“We’re open to anything,” the CEO said, reiterating a sentiment the company first expressed in August. But only under one condition: WWE’s potential buyer would have to let WWE “control its destiny,” the New York Post reports. The call also covered the WWE’s third quarter operating profits, which were up by 4.7%, reaching $24.5 billion. WWE’s revenue fell slightly.

In August, Fortune reported that McMahon sold 1.55 million shares of the company’s total Class A and Class B shares, leaving the CEO with a majority ownership and about 47% of total shares. At that point WWE’s chief strategy and financial officer, George Barrios, said that while the company wasn’t actively searching for a buyer, as appears to be the case now, “we’re always open to listening” and “to anything that we thought could help us.”

source
-----------------------------------------------------

You think it is possible that Vince would sell the WWE? If so, who do you think would buy it?

Closed

The Game
Banned
Reaction score
TNA going to buy WWE

But yeah, I doubt he would ever sell. It seems like a family business at this point.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
He'd probably sell parts of it. But he will never sell his majority votes. So he'd still remain in power.

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
Completely handing the company over? I can't see Vince doing that. Maybe letting someone buy a small percentage yes but realistically speaking who would buy WWE? Disney?

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Completely handing the company over? I can't see Vince doing that. Maybe letting someone buy a small percentage yes but realistically speaking who would buy WWE? Disney?

Some sort of media company, movie company or television network or something like Netflix.

Price would have to be somewhere north of a billion dollars likely 1.2 billion+.

If I had that sort of money though I would not buy wrestling for returns of a few million per year. I think last year they made $25 million profit so the returns do not justify the cost.

You would have to make Wrestling a lot more popular (around twice as popular) to justify that if not 3 times as popular to match say the Attitude Era. It would not be impossible but I think WWEE is at least trying to get ratings and income up so short of a buyout where they can dump PG and have someone rich prop it up its not really viable.

WWE have also painted themselves into a corner, they literally can't afford to dump that 3rd hour of RAW or the PG format due to sponsorship even though it might eventually kill them (wrestling is on a downward trend).

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
Some sort of media company, movie company or television network or something like Netflix.

Price would have to be somewhere north of a billion dollars likely 1.2 billion+.

If I had that sort of money though I would not buy wrestling for returns of a few million per year. I think last year they made $25 million profit so the returns do not justify the cost.

You would have to make Wrestling a lot more popular (around twice as popular) to justify that if not 3 times as popular to match say the Attitude Era. It would not be impossible but I think WWEE is at least trying to get ratings and income up so short of a buyout where they can dump PG and have someone rich prop it up its not really viable.

WWE have also painted themselves into a corner, they literally can't afford to dump that 3rd hour of RAW or the PG format due to sponsorship even though it might eventually kill them (wrestling is on a downward trend).

Exactly wrestling is a very niche market and a WWE purchase in the long run wouldn't be very profitable.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
He'd likely sell some stock, or some assets, but I doubt he'll sell the company. It's cost him too much money, time and heartache and along with all the time he has spent as owner, it would be very unlikely he'd get rid of it. I know I wouldn't, if I were him.

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
He'd likely sell some stock, or some assets, but I doubt he'll sell the company. It's cost him too much money, time and heartache and along with all the time he has spent as owner, it would be very unlikely he'd get rid of it. I know I wouldn't, if I were him.

He is 71 now.

Selling it would perhaps save the WWE. For example when VInce dies by law Stephanie and Shane would get half each of whatever Vince owns and Linda would also get a slice as well. That means no one would have a majority ownership and if things got nasty a hostile;e takeover could happen. Even without that happening you could have paralysis if say Shane wanted to run things but Steph+Triple H had a different opinion. Things can go wrong basically. Steph and Tripe H probably could not afford to buy out Shanes Share either but Shane being brought back could indicate that VInce is not overly happy with the way things were going under Stephs and Triple Hs directions.

Its hard to know where kayfabe ends or begins in that scenario. Vince is the big kahuna once he dies who knows what could happen. Everyone assumes Triple HH and Steph take over but Shane could screw them if things got nasty or if he thought his share was getting smaller with declining ratings and profit.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Why do people think Vince wants to drop the PG rating? That's the type of shit he loves.

Vince loves the Hulkamania type stuff

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Why do people think Vince wants to drop the PG rating? That's the type of shit he loves.

Vince loves the Hulkamania type stuff

He hates government and state oversight even more. They went PG because of Benoit and the last thing Vince wants is a trial where he can go t jail and/or undermine him as he gets away with a lot when he self regulates.

I think Kentucky regulated Wrestling. WWE has not had a major event there since 2005 or 6. The reason they regulated it was because of independent promoters doing extreme wrestling.

Its funny how they do things about how they were cartoony and became great with the attitude era but now they are mostly back there. Alexa Bliss/Harley Quinn is literally a cartoon character brought to life.

Foley wrecked himself and even at the time having Trish bark like a dog was to far. TV 14 or whatever the rating is with occasional blood (like 1996) and stronger language used might be the right medium IDK.

Even now though blood is bad there have been lawsuits over thing like hep C due to blading. Even combat Zone Wresltling has toned thigs down, go and look up some 5-10 year old extreme wrestling events on youtube and its got people being sliced open going into light tubes.

Stopspot

Reaction score
He hates government and state oversight even more. They went PG because of Benoit and the last thing Vince wants is a trial where he can go t jail and/or undermine him as he gets away with a lot when he self regulates.

I think Kentucky regulated Wrestling. WWE has not had a major event there since 2005 or 6. The reason they regulated it was because of independent promoters doing extreme wrestling.

Its funny how they do things about how they were cartoony and became great with the attitude era but now they are mostly back there. Alexa Bliss/Harley Quinn is literally a cartoon character brought to life.

Foley wrecked himself and even at the time having Trish bark like a dog was to far. TV 14 or whatever the rating is with occasional blood (like 1996) and stronger language used might be the right medium IDK.

Even now though blood is bad there have been lawsuits over thing like hep C due to blading. Even combat Zone Wresltling has toned thigs down, go and look up some 5-10 year old extreme wrestling events on youtube and its got people being sliced open going into light tubes.
"great" and the attitude era does not go hand in hand tho. People need to stop associating the attitude era with being the apex of wrestling and thinking it is a fool proof formula for success. Because what worked then does not work now.

If Vince has the choice between cartoony wrestling and attitude era wrestling. He will pick cartoony stuff 10 times out of 10. It's safe (which he loves), draws sponsors (which he loves), generates steady money with little to no dips (which he loves. WWE makes more and more money every year with little to no sign of stopping).

The only reason he went attitude era to beginwith was because he had his back to the wall and it was do or die. As soon as he was king of the hill again, he went back to his comfort zone.

If fans want the attitude era, or anything resembling it back. They need to start supporting and funneling money into another American wrestling company. Promoters or sponsors can funnel as much money into a competitor as they want, but without fan support Vince will not react.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
He is 71 now.
For example when VInce dies by law Stephanie and Shane would get half each of whatever Vince owns and Linda would also get a slice as well. .

Not really. I am sure a man of McMahon's wealth has a will and his shares in the company would go to whomever he willed them to. There is no American law that would automatically split them between his children and wife. If McMahon doesn't have a will, which I find HIGHLY unlikely, 100% of his shares would go to Linda if she is still alive. If Linda is not and McMahon doesn't have a will, only then would it actually be split between kids.

It's a moot point, however, because he likely has a will.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score

That may have played a role in his decision to go PG, but I wouldn't say it was THE reason. I agree with Stopspot. Vince McMahon prefers the PG stuff. He also likes the silly characters like Papa Shango and Duke the Dumpster Droese. There were likely many things that were a catalyst for the return to PG, but they were just reasons for Vince to go back to the sort of product that he prefers.