• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Samoa Joe failed as Champion

EnterTamed

Reaction score
truthfully, i think tna is in need of a little jeff jarrett back on tv, i always saw joe beating jarrett for the title, even when angle came in, maybe becuase jarrett is a better heel than angle, sorry to all the angle marks but its just true, i really hope he returns next month at kotm and wins just to give a fresh fued for joe. and tna has lost a bit in the ratings but so has every other wrestling show too if you check the past month.

chessarmy

wow, someone complaining about Samoa Joe's title reign, when one year ago you (and I) were all complaining about how Joe didn't win. Seriously, how exactly is Joe's title reign a failure? The ratings are still the same 1.0-1.2 range like they always are, and the quality of iMPACT! and the PPVs has risen tremendously. If you dont like Joe's title reign then you probably are one of those fans that are never satisfied, no matter what happens. Anyway, I guess its your opinion but I just dont see how Joe's reign is a failure at all, you all know if he lost at Lockdown their would be a fucking riot on the IWC, but even if he wins you have to complain as well? Samoa Joe is a star that TNA helped make one of the most over guys in the company, he is one of the best wrestlers in the world, and he is the TNA World Champion, what else do you want?

PeepShow

The ratings are still the same 1.0-1.2 range like they always are

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but just to let you know, the ratings have fallen each week since he's been champ. This week actually got the lowest iMPACT rating in over 6 months. Got a 0.9 rating :/

Hometown Kid

I don't know if we can say he's failed as champ quite yet considering it's only been a month...I mean it's not like after all this waiting they can just take it off him in such a short period of time I will say 2 things though...
1.I agree 100% with the guy who said he shouldn't be wearing suits...it just doesn't fit his character at all...is that Samoa Joe or Montel Vontavious Porter out there!?
2.IMO the real AJ Styles needs to come back turn face & they could book AJ winning at BFG in like a battle between the 2 most talented & over guys on the roster (AJ has a lot more charisma than Joe but TNA is giving Joe the exact same *starts off calm then intense!* promo for months now...)

Christian

Reaction score
The commercial for the past 3 impacts have been like "SAMOA JOE... KURT ANGLE.. SCOTT STEINER... WHO WILL SACRIFICE THE MOST?" its stupid. nobody wants to see that shit

The Rated R CMStar

To me it is not Samoa Joe himself, it is the situation he was put in.

Last year, he was jobbed week in and week out to Kurt Angle. The year after it, the same. And this year, the big victory of Samoa Joe comes in his 1002th match against Angle, in a lousy MMA like match and one in which it was obvious he was winning, as his career was on the line.

Then, Joe wins it in a very anticlimatic way, and TNA, instead of bringing a good opponent for Samoa Joe, I don't know, Booker T, Sting, back Jeff Jarret, AJ Styles, elevate Robert Roode once and for all, no, they give us Kurt Angle again and...Scott Steiner.

Steiner and title matches just don't go. He failed with HHH, damn HHH, the drawing machine HHH, why would it be any different with an unexperienced champion like Samoa Joe?

Besides, ratings are not low because of Joe, they are low because of the pathetic Sacrifice PPV they are hyping.

Rell

Reaction score
wow, someone complaining about Samoa Joe's title reign, when one year ago you (and I) were all complaining about how Joe didn't win.

Thats exactly the point, A YEAR AGO. Samoa Joe had momentum, and everyone including myself, wanted Joe as champion. This title reign is almost Two years too late. His momentum is done, people arent buying it anymore.

Seriously, how exactly is Joe's title reign a failure? The ratings are still the same 1.0-1.2 range like they always are

TNA's ratings have fallen every single week, since Sloppy Joe has been champ, haven't you heard? They went from an even 1.0 to a steady 1.0, and the last edition of iMPACT received a final rating of 0.9, one of the worst ratings in a very long time. Joe happens to be champ during all of this, coincidence?

you all know if he lost at Lockdown their would be a fucking riot on the IWC, but even if he wins you have to complain as well?

For one, the match at Lockdown should have never taken place, because again, JOE SHOULD HAVE BEEN CHAMP A LONG TIME AGO. Secondly, if TNA is marketing towards the IWC (Internet Wrestling Community) they need to rethink their strategy ASAP.

This isn't the first time sadly, TNA failed Kaz miserably. He came off two great matches with Christian and Angle, had all the momentum in the world, and looked like the next breakout superstar. He went on to feud with...Goldust :smh

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

Rated TSS said:
the belt should be on Kurt angle right now. his gimmick was the best in TNA history and his antics with wife karen earned him the TNA championship and main event spot. the samoan submission machine is definately not as good a champion as Kurt Angle used to be. his reign so far has been unimpressive. yet another bad move by TNA. and with the freak added to the main event gives more boredum. i enjoyed turning on the computer to watch TNA, {its not in england til saturday} and watching kurt prance around. now its boring with joe as champ. he gets all the TV Time and sounds like an idiot half the time
Really? He main evented the first Pay Per View he wrestled on for TNA. Was Karen there? No. Did he have that gimmick? No. So I don't know what show you were watching.

Everybody was begging for Joe to be Champ, yet you call it a bad move? Explain. The booking that gave him it was bad. But giving Joe the belt was not a bad move?

Watching Kurt prance around? That's just weird.

As far as your Angle for Xhamp call, if you actually read the OTHER POSTS in the thread, he is injured, and will possibly be taking time off after Sacrifice. That tells me he isn't about to get the title back.

Reaction score
As others have said, the timing for this was terrible. It really isn't Joe's fault entirely, if at all. But anyway, I've always stood by the opinion that SJ will always be a better fit in ROH...always. I really just don't like the way TNA has used him in the past year and a half.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
They did a slow build for him to becoming champ, but it was way too slow. They should have made him champ when he was hot killing X Division guys. Then they could have the Joe/Angle feud with Joe being the champ and Angle the challenger. I also would've liked to see something like a double countout or time limit to be used, showing that both couldn't beat the other. I also put the blame on TNA for having Angle win every belt a couple of months ago, it made Angle look way too unstoppable and a loss seem unreal.

Mike1989

Reaction score
He hasn't failed as a champion. I mean so far sure his promos are not up there with the great mic workers. Admitted the last title defence wasn't amazing and so far the run hasn't been the best. But the guy is having his first title run and I think we all can admit that Joe is an amazing wrestler but he has always had that...well how can I put it. A lack of being "electric" on the mic.

Basically what I mean is The Rock, Steve Austin hell Booker in his prime, Sting in his prime all had that ability to get the crowd going and wanting to watch their matches. Ric Flair is another name. Hell I'd go as far as saying people like DDP, people like Warrior, Hogan, Savage etc. Now of course there aren't as many of those around now but Joe for me is a very good wrestler, better than most, but his problem is for me he just doesn't have that sports entertainment factor that the greats had.

Take Kennedy that guy can get the crowd going against him easily and I believe as a champ he'd do very well. I think its a similar situation with CM Punk, people wanted him as champ, but when he got the belt and held it for a while people were wondering what's next? His promos are the same its all about competition, straight edge. No one really wants to hear that, they want a buyable storyline eg Batista/Shawn Michaels, Cena/Edge etc. And that's Joe's problem, he's very much like CM Punk. Amazing wrestler but when it comes down to the electric or sports entertainment, creating a great potential feud whatever you want to call it. He just lacks it.

Admitted I want him as the champ. But by that same notion I really think they need to get him or help him become the kind a guy who speaks and everyone listens. AS right about now I personally don't think Samoa Joe is that man. Instead he's another CM Punk, great ring wise...but lacks the mic ability to make the entertainment side work.

Poorly explained but I know what i mean lol