Ryback Needs The MITB

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Let me start off by saying that while typing that thread title, I couldn't believe how badly the WWE has fucked this guy over.

When he burst onto the scene as a face I was slightly intrigued by him for a few weeks when he was squashing jobbers and displaying some pretty brutal looking power moves and the double finisher, but it quickly grew old and I lost all interest in the guy. .

Come late September and the Hell In A Cell buildup, with Cena forced out of the main event against CM Punk due to injury, he was sky rocketed to main event status. Bare in the mind, that this was only around a month after his first real feud, Jinder Mahal of all people. As we all know, he lost the match due to rogue referee Brad Maddox and in turn snapped his 38 match winning streak. I think everyone at the time was in unison that it was far too early for him to be WWE Champion, so in the end up it was well booked to protect him in defeat. Next PPV saw a similar outcome, he was cost the WWE championship by the debuting Shield who powerbombed through the announcers table. This led to a six man TLC match teaming with Team Hell No against The Shield at the TLC PPV where he was again on the losing end but without being involved in the fall. He ends the year with a PPV record of 3-3 with his wins coming against esteemed talents such as Camacho, Hawkins & Rex and two local jobbers.

New year, new start and a chance in the Royal Rumble. He enters #30 and it comes down to him and John Cena but once again comes up short and continues his PPV losing streak which is now at 4. His feud with The Shield picks back up and he teams with with John Cena and Sheamus to face them at the Elimination Chamber and while he once again loses the match, this time he actually takes the fall. A feud with Mark Henry begins as WrestleMania season ramps up and it seems like the perfect opportunity to give him a PPV win on the biggest stage of all where he will get to display his strength which they put over in the buildup to this match, by what we all assumed would be a Shellshock to Mark Henry to give him the 1,2,3. In probably the biggest swerve of the night, he loses a dull match that was topped off with a pretty awful finish. New year, same sorry story. He slumps to 6 consecutive PPV losses.

WWE turns him heel by attacking John Cena to presumably breathe some life into his flailing character. He stops pandering to the crowd, drops all the tacky food references, alters his look slightly to make him look like a badass and actually starts to cut some pretty good heel promos which gets me interested in him again. He gets the upperhand on Cena on numerous occassions leading into the PPV. He looks a credible threat in the LMS match but the match is ruled a No Contest however Ryback rises to his feet while Cena leaves on a stretcher. I wasn't overly pissed by this result though as I genuinely thought he would take the title on the next PPV in a rematch with Cena however that obviously wasn't the case as he decisively lost a 3 stages of hell match. As it stands, this leaves his PPV record as a measely 3-7-1 and while win-loss records might not matter to some people I honestly think it matters a whole heap to this guy.

It's blatantly obvious that the WWE sees him as a top guy as they're putting a whole load of stock in him as far as television goes, but when it comes to the PPV's they just seem so hesitant on giving him that final push to actually make him a legitimate main event talent. It just feels as though that everytime he's on PPV, the guy opposite him is always in a bigger angle so they must go over such as Punk needing to retain to face Rock at the Rumble, Cena winning the Rumble to set up the Rock rematch, Shield constantly winning to build them as a threat etc.

Now that he has failed to beat Cena on two consecutive PPV's, I just can't see where he goes from here other than winning the MITB as I just don't see anyone on the roster for him to feud with. I mean the only logical feud I can think of at the minute is with Kofi when he returns from injury but that's probably not till MITB.
Have him cash in at SummerSlam and I reckon he'll get some good heel heat, will give him that elusive PPV victory and victory over Cena and can also talk about how all the conspiracies against him are over that he referenced in a promo not so long ago.

It just baffles me what they are doing with him because the guy is a bonafide main eventer and they won't throw him a damn bone, whereas they will move the damn earth for pieces of trash like Del Rio. I think if they don't pull the trigger on Ryback pretty soon and give him the title, they could ruin him beyond repair and lets be honest here, it's not like the WWE don't have a history of totally ruining guys.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Glad this thread got made cause I was thinking about this the day after Payback. This was the worry I was talking about months ago when I said they were pushing him into the main event picture too fast. He was in a no win situation in that Punk feud because it was either he would have got the belt too early or they didn't strike while he was hot if he didn't win. They had the right idea with his feud with Punk and it would have done wonders if they made it a long term thing and had Punk put him over down the line but of course it didn't go down like that. Turning him heel when they did also has hurt because of what happened with him basically being fed to Cena which is detrimental to him at this stage of his career. Still think he would have been tons better off being a WHC contender path and eventually got that title. If he does win mitb that is exactly what they should do because he needs some rebuilding before he hops in that WWE title picture again. All of that build up they did with him and how over he got as a face pretty much got wasted because they totally botched the situation not thinking long term.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Ryback with the MITB contract would be terrifying for any champion. Well, it would have before Ryback was turned into an incompetent pussy. That massive drop in momentum since mid-2012, as you've outlined, is what's troubling for Ryback at the moment as he will have no credibility against Cena anytime soon.

The thought of this animal looming over the champion, just sizing him up and waiting until he's hungry enough to strike and tear them apart should be scary and awesome, he shouldn't need to be an opportunist like every other briefcase holder. But he's lost so much of that "threat" factor after months and months of losing that now if he wins the briefcase, I guarantee he'll end up looking like a guy who NEEDS the cash-in to beat Cena, or maybe any champion.

BDC

Reaction score
Gotta agree. I was majorly disappointed when he lost to Cena at the Rumble. But he's young, right? But a guy can only play patsy so long before he looks like a punching bag. It's his time...give him MORE!!!

Weez

Reaction score
The guy is bland, limited and boring to watch, listen to or talk about. He doesn't need to be anywhere near the title chase. I'm glad he's losing. Outside of possibly being some cocky guy's muscle (-Big E +Ryback for example), I'd be more happy with his Skippy Shetfield gimmick from NXT lol True Story.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The guy is bland, limited and boring to watch, listen to or talk about. He doesn't need to be anywhere near the title chase. I'm glad he's losing. Outside of possibly being some cocky guy's muscle (-Big E +Ryback for example), I'd be more happy with his Skippy Shetfield gimmick from NXT lol True Story.

I am not the biggest fan either but clearly WWE were doing something good with him and it was working up to a point, but because it all happened so fast they backed them selves into a corner where they either had to put the belt on him or let him flander. Due to the lack of credible name stars I am suprised Ryback has not got the belt yet.

Interesting thread Dale, MITB could be a good way to rebuild Ryback, the issue is that maybe his style is the sort who would have to dominate the match which in the process could make the other guys look weak. Also not sure he has the personality to carry it off, not to mention there are others who need it more. Still I would be open to it.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I posted in the WWE Championship match thread for Payback that Ryback had to win there. He hasn't won a PPV match since MITB PPV on July 15th last year when he defeated Curt Hawkins and Tyler Reks in a handicap match. So he has literally gone a year losing every single match, aside from the one no contest which is basically a loss since he didn't win the title.

It is mind boggling that they would book a run like that for a guy that they are trying to turn into a new star. He needed a few wins throughout that run to show that he actually belonged at that level but with zero wins it has shown the fans that he isn't good enough at that level. WWE desperately need new stars for the future and they had a guy that, out of nowhere, became quite popular and had the crowd behind him. He was protected well early on but this year the booking of him has been a shambles.

What I find interesting is that WWE turned him heel even though he was so over as a face. WWE did the same thing to CM Punk when it was really neccessary. Face vs. Face matches work perfectly fine and so even though he was about to face Cena he should have remained a face. It is like they don't want anyone else to become a huge face in the company.

Back on track I do agree that if he doesn't win at MITB WWE are missing a trick yet again. He needs a big win to get his run back on track and winning one of the MITB matches will be a good start. It should be easy to book him with the briefcase and make him a threat again. To be honest I would have him win the match and then that night cash in and win the title, like Kane did a few years back. He simply needs to run through the champion after the match. Don't bother about fake cash-ins and all that jazz, it won't work with a guy the size of Ryback who shouldn't run from any challenge. Win MITB and cash it in that night and take the title, but it won't happen.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
He needs a big win, any big win to erase the fact he's lost all his PPV matches over the past year.

Its crazy that he went from undefeated streak, whispers of a Goldberg streak to now being unable to get a single meaningful win.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Ryback is a huge, intimidating looking guy, having him wait until a guy is downed to capitalise on it just seems strange to me even though he's a heel.

Dunno, I just don't think they should go down that route. Stop putting him against other main eventers and let him get his monster aura back first.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I wouldn't give him either MITB briefcase. Although, I would love to see a face Ziggler vs. a heel Ryback for the WHC.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I'm not big on the guy, but if they turn him back face and give him the briefcase, that would just be fun to watch.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Ryback is a huge, intimidating looking guy, having him wait until a guy is downed to capitalise on it just seems strange to me even though he's a heel.

Dunno, I just don't think they should go down that route. Stop putting him against other main eventers and let him get his monster aura back first.
But they don't have to do it in the typical pussy way like they did with Ziggler this year for example. I'd have him cash in at SummerSlam after Cena has faced whoever he's facing, but letting Cena recover and do his standard post match celebrations, that way it kind of negates what you were fearing. I'd also make sure he didn't tease a cash in either, that shit is so played out now.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
But they don't have to do it in the typical pussy way like they did with Ziggler this year for example. I'd have him cash in at SummerSlam after Cena has faced whoever he's facing, but letting Cena recover and do his standard post match celebrations, that way it kind of negates what you were fearing. I'd also make sure he didn't tease a cash in either, that shit is so played out now.

That's not too bad. It lets Ryback go over Cena clean because Cena's still in enough shape to put up a decent fight. Ryback gets to look strong while leaving room for whether Ryback can really beat Cena, then you have him go over Cena in one more title match in a non-pussy way to show he's found his mojo again. This could get him back on track nicely.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Could even have him cash in on a guy during a promo, the champ (whoever it is, a heel for this scenario would be best) would be unprepared for the match still, but not hurt.

Max Titan

Reaction score
I agree if Ryback cashes in on cena it has to be similar to this situation and I would seriously mark out:
[video=youtube_share;cbboBhcqeFU]http://youtu.be/cbboBhcqeFU[/video]