Rookie of the year?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
With the calendar year closing on us soon WWE recently released an article declaring the Shield the rookies of the year. And that is interesting since we've had a year with a lot of debuts. Apart from the Shield we've had Langston, Fandango, the Wyatts as well as the repackaged Axel. I guess Cesaro can count as well for those wanting to be nitpicky.

Do you agree with that? I do but I can also admit that it is easier to rank them as number one since they are a group. I'm not sure either of the three would have had the same level of breakthrough had they debuted individually as singles wrestlers. And to Langston's credit he is the first and only man to win both a developmental and main roster title in the same calender year, Rollins walked into 2013 as the NXT champ but lost it to Langston in January I believe. But still, the Shield has without the doubt had the biggest impact.

Do you agree with the Shield being rookies of the year?

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
In kayfabe it makes sense, for sure. Fandango was doing good at first but then it fell off a cliff. Axel, same. Cesaro and Langston are doing well in the midcard, and the Wyatts had the potential to be much better. The Shield was one of the main focuses on the show until a little while after WM, so I suppose they did have the most impact. I'm fine with that.

THG?

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
2013 has been a GREAT year for The Usos. But yeah, Shield have been constantly booked, so them IMO.

Nano

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Website
www.pheed.com
Reigns has done a great job while being in the Shield, but when the Shield split up, he's a potential WWE or WH Champion. I'm not saying the Shield splits up and then Roman just challenges Cena for the WHC, no, but probably feuding for a midcard title and then getting a top title opportunity.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
The Shield easily had more of an impact than any other new comer(s), but Rookie Of The Year implies one individual and no one in the group really pulled their weight more than the other two unless we count kayfabe reasoning (which we kinda have to, I guess.) In a kayfabe sense, Reigns was booked stronger than the other two in that he took a pinfall/submission loss only long after the other two did, plus he was the dominant sole survivor in their Survivor Series match. And out of all the matches that The Shield won as a team throughout the year, Reigns was the man to score the pinfall victory for them most of the time, most notably when he pinned John Cena (on Raw) cleanly with the spear and when he speared Ryback at Elimination Chamber (OK, Rollins was the one who pinned Ryback here, but it was the direct result of Reigns' spear just seconds before... this was back when Ryback had not yet taken a clean pinfall loss and still had something of an aura as a monster.)

So, in a way, you can almost kinda give the award to Reigns IMO.

catlady

The People's Champion
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I'm with Danny. Big E.