Roman Reigns: "CM Punk wasn't as good or over as John Cena, he didn't move the needle like The Rock."

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crash

Reaction score
I am not a big CM Punk fan at all and I think saying he wasn't a big draw or he wasn't "over" is ridiculous.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
I am not a big CM Punk fan at all and I think saying he wasn't a big draw or he wasn't "over" is ridiculous.
Exactly, love or hate the guy, he was on level with cena, rock, and stone cold, no question

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
AEW was already becoming my favorite promotion week by week, but Punk's return cemented it as really that last great promotion for the fans.

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
I'd bet Jim Cornette is happy as a mofo right now seeing CM Punk with AEW.

I remember in one of his podcasts where he said he wanted CM Punk to team with AEW.

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Irwin R. Schyster

The Showoff
Reaction score
It’s going to be interesting to see the evolution once Bryan comes along and if the other rumors show up at some point. Punk is a huge boost to the promotion. Just hoping they have “room” for everyone.

phelath

Reaction score
Considering that at Cena’s peak, he beat him in sales and ratings, yeah I’d say he was that monumental. Punk just couldn’t maintain that main event pressure and keep a cool head. Had he been able to do that, he could have potentially completely take that torch from Cena.

Roman is just saying what makes the company sound better, too. Company doesn’t like punk, well of course reigns hates him. Reigns will do whatever it takes to make himself more valid and relevant.
Why does Roman hate him? I know punk talked about him on that podcast, but it sounded like he was bashing WWE creative not Roman in my opinion.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Punk not only out sold cena at one point, but despite being thrown into a heel spot, when he was a natural face at the time, and sometimes given stupid storylines, he still drew just as many or more rating as cena did.

Plus, he set the tone and was monumental in a different way. Meaning, the rock and cena of course were both megastars and popular, but I feel like punk set a tone where he not only became popular and megastar, but he was the guy who wasn’t muscular and big, average, and didn’t really seem larger than life, but once you gave him the mic and let him do his thing, he could capture anyones attention with his brutal honesty and ability to make things seem genuine and sincere. You couple that with his great wresting ability, yeah, I’d say he was as big as the rock and cena, again, in a different way. He just wasn’t given the exact same push as those 2 because he didn’t fit the mold of what Vince liked: meat heads.

Punk was given the spotlight, don’t get me wrong, but it did seem undervalued when compared to cena or rock. It def shouldn’t have been this way all the time.

Last edited:

Marty McFourth

Indy Wrestling Connoisseur
Reaction score
Punk not only out sold cena at one point, but despite being thrown into a heel spot, when he was a natural face at the time, and sometimes given stupid storylines, he still drew just as many or more rating as cena did.

Plus, he set the tone and was monumental in a different way. Meaning, the rock and cena of course were both megastars and popular, but I feel like punk set a tone where he not only became popular and megastar, but he was the guy who wasn’t muscular and big, average, and didn’t really seem larger than life, but once you gave him the mic and let him do his thing, he could capture anyones attention with his brutal honesty and ability to make things seem genuine and sincere. You couple that with his great wresting ability, yeah, I’d say he was as big as the rock and cena, again, in a different way. He just wasn’t given the exact same push as those 2 because he didn’t fit the mold of what Vince liked: meat heads.

Punk was given the spotlight, don’t get me wrong, but it did seem undervalued when compared to cena or rock. It def shouldn’t have been this way all the time.
You know Punk was undervalued when Cena main evented over him against Big Johnny at Over The Limit. That just said it all to me.

I like Cena for the record, but yeah, 2012 you could clearly see it.

Quietly him and Bryan were putting on classics, and that stuff was at the end of the show getting the most promotion. Crazy.

Reactions: edge4ever