Roman Reigns: "CM Punk wasn't as good or over as John Cena, he didn't move the needle like The Rock."

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp

This is making the rounds on social media. What are your thoughts?

I think it's a bit silly to say. Ratings under the Punk-era were literally god-like if you compare it to the meager ratings they get now. Not to mention, Punk's pipebomb promo gave the industry a massive revitalization with a lot of renewed fan interest. I don't think he was/is a Rock-level draw but neither are 99.9% of all top guys WWE has had. Punk was over and certainly has his role to play.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Considering that at Cena’s peak, he beat him in sales and ratings, yeah I’d say he was that monumental. Punk just couldn’t maintain that main event pressure and keep a cool head. Had he been able to do that, he could have potentially completely take that torch from Cena.

Roman is just saying what makes the company sound better, too. Company doesn’t like punk, well of course reigns hates him. Reigns will do whatever it takes to make himself more valid and relevant.

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Roman Reigns opinion on who is good or bad is worthless. He's an average wrestler with lousy charisma. Him telling people CM Punk is not better than Cena will do nothing but make CM Punk more popular.

Roman Reigns is a cancer on wrestling. I am sorry to those of you who like him, but like I mentioned in another thread: A person wondered how bad wrestling could get to make me not watch it any more. Roman Reigns was the answer.

Honestly, it is not just Roman. Vince is an ass and he keeps putting out shitty product.

Look at it this way, I have NO doubt that CM Punk will show up tomorrow on AEW. I have no reason to believe that Tony Khan would be the type of person to hint at this and sell out the United Center to troll Chicago wrestling fans.

Vince McMahon WOULD do this. And that is why the WWE is sucking right now. Because Vince is delivering the product he wants, not the one the fans are looking for. He has every right to do that, but we have every right to give him the middle finger.

That is why AEW is better than WWE and that is why AEW is a competitor, because they give fans what they want. They don't fuck with them like Vince.

There was a Raw in Chicago after Punk was fired. I don't recall who, HHH, Steph or Vince were in the ring and Punk's music began playing. But it was all a joke. That is the kinda stupid shit Vince does. You don't troll your fans. they are your meal ticket.

So Roman Reigns can show it up his ass.

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
There is alot of irony in what roman had to say, given how he was handled. To say hes wrong is a gigantic understatement, and when CM Punk shows up on AEW tonight, that pop will be just as loud as anything from the attitude era, mick foley winning the world title loud.

Roman Reigns is a cancer on wrestling.
I think if there is a cancer on wrestling then its Vince Mcmahon, roman may be an idiot, and a jerk, but Vince is far worse, vince is an out of touch old man whose bad booking and terrible decision making has led the company to this point, from releasing countless superstars for "budget cuts" to scripting their promos, dumbing down their in ring work, making his own roster feel like they are walking on egg shells. As bad as roman is, Vince in my opinion is far worse.

Vince is, has been, and always will be the issue, the only thing roman did that was his own fault was being a jerk to fans, but his booking, being pushed and forced to the top, those are all vinces decisions, nothing in WWE happens without vince saying so. So as far as that goes, i blame vince 100%

Last edited:

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
Truly Reigns isn't qualified to say who is over who.

Seeing it took years for him to become an established & marketable main eventer in the company.

While wrestling in his WM matches fans were chanting for other Wrestlers....

And he's talking about who can't get over who???

Roman should just stay in his zone after what it took to get him to the top.

Last edited:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Truly Reigns isn't classified to say who is over who.

Seeing it took years for him to become an established & marketable main eventer in the company.

While wrestling in his WM matches fans were chanting for other Wrestlers....

And he's talking about who can't get over who???

Roman should just stay in his zone after what it took to get him to the top.

I need to bring back the "winner" emoticon just for this post

Reactions: Deadmanforever97

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
It's a shame, if Roman just didn't mention the Punk example here a lot of what he's saying here would be pretty agreeable.

Irwin R. Schyster

The Showoff
Reaction score
Roman is complete and utter trash, it’s hilarious that something like this came out of his mouth when he’s just a boring, untalented wrestler who is constantly shoved down our throats night after night, year after year. I guess he probably feels a bit stupid after Friday.

Reactions: Deadmanforever97

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
Roman Reigns saying "Punk is not over" in any way is one of the most ignorant and uneducated things I've ever heard. Especially coming from Roman Reigns.

CM Punk when he debuted in AEW had people crying tears of joy.

There are people who looked at CM Punk as this era's Stone Cold when he was in WWE.

Roman Reigns is just plain irrelevant when it comes to discussing a wrestler's status

Reactions: Irwin R. Schyster

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
Punk is basically a reverse Roman. Punk was popular and over, but had the company against him. At the same time ratings were horrible during his championship reign. Granted WWE ratings have been going down steadily since 2001. And took a giant nose dive after going 3 hours. I do agree with Roman to an extent. But I'm not sure he can really compare himself yet to Cena, Rock, Austin or Hogan

• Haha
Reactions: Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Disagree with me all you want. If you are content watching the same lame ass boring Roman Reigns bullshit that has been killing WWE for years, I don't care.

I'll be watching ACTUAL professional wrestling and enjoying every minute of it.

The only way Punk is a reverse Roman is that Punk had to actually work for a living, while Roman had everything handed to him on a silver platter.

The stupidest thing about Roman fans is that they think we have to put up with him "or else."

I'll be happy watching WRESTLING. That's something Roman doesn't know how to do

Last edited:

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
Disagree with me all you want. If you are content watching the same lame ass boring Roman Reigns bullshit that has been killing WWE for years, I don't care.

The only way Punk is a reverse Roman is that Punk had to actually work for a living, while Roman had everything handed to him on a silver platter.

The stupidest thing about Roman fans is that they think we have to put up with him "or else."

The thing that bothers me is how Roman Reigns can be a critic but he doesn't like criticism himself.

It pathetic being a The Only Face of WWE that took 5 years to be cheered and taken seriously.

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
I just realised something kinda funny. When seth rollins was "the face" of WWE, he decided to open up his mouth and make himself look like a complete idiot and say a ton of really dumb shit. Fast forward to today, and now that roman is "the face" of WWE, hes now making the same exact mistake, running his mouth and saying a bunch of dumb shit and making himself look like a complete idiot.

Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb

I also think I clicked dislike and removed it. I'm sure you meant no ill will, but I might've read a comment about cancer to wrestling and that pissed me off, not because I'm a big Roman fan. But because it's an awful disease and I hate that term. I meant reverse Roman only in the sense that Roman has the full company backing no matter how many times he might have messed up. Roman probably owes his career to Punk to an Originally the Shield was Punk's group. I don't work for Nielsen I have no clue how ratings work. I just remember reading the reports and seeing Raw getting garbage ratings with Punk as champion back around that time

Last edited: