ROH TV Deal Announcement

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PeepShow

Gerweck said:
ROH's "Huge Announcement"
So I received a press release from Ring of Honor booker Gabe Sapolsky this morning promising a "huge announcement" this Sunday on the company's official web site.

Unlike several wrestling promotions over the years, ROH isn't known for for failing to deliver on promises, so I would guess - and this is mostly speculation - that the announcement will involve the TV deal ROH has been working toward for several years now. I talked to ROH owner Cary Silkin a few weeks back, and he seemed optimistic that a deal would be reached sometime soon.

If that is the announcement, that's a tremendous bit of good news not only for ROH, but for wrestling fans. I know there are loads of wrestling fans that have long heard all the buzz about Ring of Honor, but have never been able to bring themselves to spend money to buy a DVD or a pay per view of a product they have never seen before. I was one of them before buying my first DVD in 2006, and I was instantly hooked.

ROH is to be commended for surviving - and even growing - with such an unorthodox business model, but I think it became rather clear over the last year that a television deal was an absolute must if the promotion wanted to continue its expansion.

Of course, the devil is in the details. A TV deal could mean a Thursday night slot on NBC right after The Office (I somehow doubt it) or it could mean a 2 a.m. Sunday night slot on some obscure cable channel that reaches only a small percentage of homes. Hopefully, it's somewhere in between, and the company gets good support from whatever channel picks them up. Ideally, that would include improving ROH's substandard production quality to give the product a more major league look.

Then again, I could be completely wrong, and the "huge announcement" could be something far less monumental. Maybe Goldberg is turning heel again.

Wow if this happens :y:

Discuss

HHHforever

Reaction score
Hmm that'd be very interesting. I would definitely like to watch some ROH because everyone speaks so highly of it, but I'm not going to go out and buy DVD's or anything if I've never really seen it and don't know what kind of feuds or whatever is going on. I hope this is on a channel that I get, I'd definitely be interested to watch it a couple times. I wonder how their ratings would stack up against TNA.

Montana

I dont think that a tv deal is in the works, just yet. Maybe towards the end of this year, but seems a little early. They have been in talks with Vs. and Showtime.

I would think the announcement would have something to do with the hammerstein show + reaching a deal with TNA.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
Would be great if it happened!

With this talent exchange deal ROH and TNA seem to be working on, I could see a TV deal for ROH evolving into sort of a joint venture between the two companies, with plenty of storylines crossing promotions and almost turning the two shows into "brands." How great would that be?

This Guy

Um, I don't think it could be NBC. NBC is part of that conglomarate that owns NBC, USA and Sci-Fi. Pretty sure the WWE's deal with them is for all there networks/cable channels to carry WWE only.

Montana

I think he was joking about that, my money would be on VS if they do, BUT i can't see it being the big announcement today.

the dark knight

well, idc which chanel they get cuz i dont live in the states :D. ill download the shows....

good news. only problem is, more time to waste on wrestling :( i only watch raw now...

KroniK 4-2-0

Reaction score
I'm betting the huge announcement is like the guy said....Goldberg is turning heel again.

I cant wait, Goldberg as a heel is great!

Anyway, I can care less if they get a TV Deal.....TNA > ROH

Montana

I found out it was a 33% off sale! Rip-off.

odd choice of wording for a sale.

But anyways, yeah. First time ROH kinda let me down, BUT they did apoligize on the site. The small rumor they posted, had the snowball effect.

chessarmy

^ Wait, it WAS just a sale? How in the fuck is that a "Major Anouncement"!? Talk about over hyping something, damn!

Weebo

Reaction score
Wait, Goldberg is in TNA. I thought he was announcing for EliteXC

KroniK 4-2-0

Reaction score
LOL! Wow, fo a company people say will deliver witha major announcement, talk about a BIG failure, lol. that's classic, that's funny. aww, poor ROH.

Ahh well, move on to better things now.