ROH TV After HDNet - What Next?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
The last show filmed by ROH for HDNet will air on April 4th, 2011. After that where can ROH go with regards to a television deal. They have such a good product and roster that they should be on a national television deal so that more can be exposed to their product. I have heard many rumours the latest one that EPSN will pick them up but I doubt that will happen. They do seem quite confident that they will be back on television later this year.

What options are there for ROH and do you think they will get another deal?

Purple PuNk

Reaction score
I do not know if ESPN will pick them up, but I can see the brand going to something like late late night TNT, Versus, and maybe even like FUSE or MtV.

Either way I hope they get on a channel people can actually watch...

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
With TNA going tits up, pissing off shareholders and their own channel, then perhaps Spike TV might be an option.

To my knowledge, RoH was extremely well watched on HDNET, so I don't see it struggling on a mainstream channel aslong as it gets some advertising going.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Looking at Versus ROH would be a good fit with them. It is a big enough channel and the focus is on sports so ROH would fit in with the other programming. If they can't get ESPN which would admittedly be a long shot then Versus would be a good option. As long as they can get on a channel which many fans can access it would be great for them.

Seak

Reaction score
ROH on HDNet is an amazing wrestling program. Despite losing guys like Bryan Danielson, Nigel McGuinness, Austin Aries, and Kevin Steen they manage to keep bringing in young guys with a hell of a lot of talent. Their fast paced matches that they're well known for would easily work on Versus, and ESPN being the long shot would work well since they pride themselves as more of a sports based company than an entertainment company like WWE or TNA.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Wouldn't want it on versus, I don't get that channel.

Would rather have it on SpikeTV, fuck TNA. That place isn't even funny anymore.

Seak

Reaction score
Wouldn't want it on versus, I don't get that channel.

Would rather have it on SpikeTV, fuck TNA. That place isn't even funny anymore.

That would probably be best for Spike actually. ROH would probably end up bringing in better ratings than TNA and the company wouldn't be thought of as a joke.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Here's the thing Seak...

Ring of Honor won't be considered Sports-Entertainment, so will Spike still want to have Ring of Honor as their Flagship "Wrestling" Show?

Seak

Reaction score
Here's the thing Seak...

Ring of Honor won't be considered Sports-Entertainment, so will Spike still want to have Ring of Honor as their Flagship "Wrestling" Show?

Spike picked up TNA because it was an "alternative" to WWE and their "sports entertainment" style. So to me it would make sense for Spike to drop TNA since it's not what they advertised themselves as and picked up and actual alternative that doesn't follow the same ideology as WWE.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
TNA was picked up by Spike because WWE left the network, wrestling pops a good rating for Spike and has since they had ECW on TNN, they are loyal to the genre, since it brings in the demo they are trying to go for. TNA is dying, it's time to bring a different show, a better show.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Indeed it's true...

Wrestling does bring good ratings, not so much in Britain, well not anymore; but lookin' at it, Ring of Honor is by the far the best product on the market for wrestling with Spike around; as long as RoH get's it face out there on the networks and shows their wrestling and less of the chic-chat bullshit and save all the promos for the Podcasts/ Youtube (like they do at the moment) and have massive RoH taping shows, then why not?

It will compete with MMA much better, actual wrestling vs MMA.. Is better than Sports-Entertainment vs MMA... Depending whatever you consider MMA a style of sports-entertainment.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I would much rather watch ROH on Spike than TNA, I would much rather get more familiar with the brand as well. Since I didn't have HDNet, since it's not available for my satelite provider. And I have a terrible, terrible, terrible internet connection I can't stream.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Does anyone think Spike would have ROH and TNA on their books at the same time? Would there be a clause in TNA's contract that Spike can't sign another wrestling company to a TV deal?

I can't see Spike dropping TNA so unless they give both companies deals I can't see it happening. It would be good having ROH and then UFC right after it or vice versa.

Seak

Reaction score
Does anyone think Spike would have ROH and TNA on their books at the same time? Would there be a clause in TNA's contract that Spike can't sign another wrestling company to a TV deal?

I can't see Spike dropping TNA so unless they give both companies deals I can't see it happening. It would be good having ROH and then UFC right after it or vice versa.

I don't see that happening. Unless TNA and ROH had some kind of talent exchange relationship or some shit I doubt Spike would pick up a rival promotion. It would have been like WWE and WCW on the same network.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Thing is ROH I do not if they have the flash to be on a big national network TV station. Yeah good wrestling is great I am not going to lie, but to be able to look good you need to have certain aspects that make you stand out besides good wrestling. Like I said in EOR's column watch the rise and fall of ECW, and see how much problems ECW had with TNN when it came with what the network wanted them to do, the thing is ROH can not provide on just youtube and podcast videos for casual fans to watch there product,they won't have time or nor care to look that stuff up. So Spike would be not be a good option for them. ESPN would seem to work the best if they pick them up, maybe HDNet will renew there deal with them later in the year after they see how there ratings are holding up.