Rock/Hogan drew more for Wrestlemania 18 than Rock/Austin drew for Wrestlemania 17

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

RLStern

Refuter of Revisionist History
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
Wrestlemania 17 was a bigger PPV and drew more than Wrestlemania 18.

However Rock vs Hogan drew more for the Wrestlemania 18 Rock/Austin drew for Wrestlemania 17, thus Rock/Hogan was a bigger drawing match.

Let’s analyze the numbers:

Wrestlemania 17 had 1,040,000 total buys.

Wrestlemania 18 had 860,000 total buys.

Wrestlemania 17 was not a one headline show, you had the following matches also headlining and getting mainstream media attention:

Chyna vs Ivory(Chyna one of the top 3 draws at the time, entering Womens title division)

TLC 2(following the much hyped and covered first Triangle Ladder Match and firsts TLC match the previous year.)

The match that got the most mainstream coverage and hype, a featured on Bob Costas, Mcmahon vs McMahon.

And the story that got the most coverage, even more than Rock/Austin... the purchase of WCW.

These were all Wrestlemania level headlines, none of these were regular PPV situations.

All of these things contributed to at least 250,000-200,000 buys, especially the controversial McMahon vs McMahon match and WCW purchase.

Whereas for Wrestlemania 18, Rock vs Hogan was the only draw, it was the only headline. Those 860,000 buys are credited to solely Rock/Hogan, nothing else on that show was a headline or draw.

Whereas Purchase of WCW, McMahon vs McMahon, Chyna, and TLC 2 contributed Hugely to the Wrestlemania 17 butyrate.

To further this the WWF drew similar ratings on the roads to Wrestlemania, despite 18 being a one match show compared to Wrestlemania 17 which was a super show that had 5 headlining events(WCW, Rock/Austin, ChynaMcMahon/McMahon, TLC 2)

Road to Wrestlemania 17:

Raw February 26, 2001 - 5.1
RAW March 5, 2001 - 4.5
Raw March 12, 2001 - 4.9
Raw March 19, 2001 - 4.6
Raw March 26, 2001 - 4.7

Road to Wrestlemania 18:

Raw February 18, 2002 - 4.7
Raw February 25, 2002 - 4.7
Raw March 4, 2002 - 4.5
Raw March 11, 2002 - 4.5

The Road to Wrestlemania 17 also drew less than Wrestlemania 15, where Wrestlemania 15 was also a one match show of Rock vs Austin, where Rock/Austin was the sole drawing factor of Wrestlemania 15 just like Rock/Hogan was the sole drawing factor of Wrestlemania 18.

Yet despite that Wrestlemania 18(860,000) outdrew Wrestlemania 15.(800,000 buys).

So to recap, Wrestlemania 17 did 1,040,000 buys and outdrew Wrestlemania 18 which did 860,000 buys, drawing only 180,000 less buys.

Despite this, Wrestlemania 17’s 1,040,000 wasn’t all from Rock/Austin, as the purchase of WCW, McMahon vs McMahon, Chyna and TLC 2 were huge contributing factors to that 1,040,000, drawing at least 250,000-200,000 buys at minimum, with the purchase and hype of WCW being the most mainstream factor, which had way more hype than even Rock/Austin.

Wrestlemania 18 however had only one drawing match, Rock vs Hogan, that match is solely responsible for the 860,000 buys, therefore drawing more for the Wrestlemania 18 PPV than Rock/Austin did for the Wrestlemania 17 PPV.

Even if we go back to the biggest Rock/Austin match(as it was solely responsible to WM 15 buys and had bigger TV ratings than 17) at Wrestlemania 15, Rock/Hogan still outdraws it.

In conclusion from the very numbers themselves, while Wrestlemania 17 was the greatest ppv of all time, and the highest drawing ppv of all time, Rock/Hogan was a bigger draw of a match than both Rock/Austin matches and did more buys for Wrestlemania 18 than Rock/Austin did for Wrestlemania 17.

These numbers and stats are irrefutable, if you’re going to argue that Rock/Austin was the sole drawing factor and that the other major headlines didn’t at least contribute 200,000 buys(which is generous these were breaking mainstream news, more than Rock/Austin) then you’re dishonest.

Wrestlemania 17 was truly a once in a lifetime event, the only true supercard where they had more than one major headline.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
WrestleMania XXVIII had a buy rate of 1,300,000 which is the highest buy rate record (USA number only).
The event also had two major headlines in the Rock vs. Cena and CM Punk vs. Jericho, and some would argue that Undertaker vs. Triple H was also just as big. It is therefore irrefutable - that in 2012, John Cena and the Rock combined were the biggest draws in the history of professional wrestling in north america.

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
The event also had two major headlines in the Rock vs. Cena and CM Punk vs. Jericho, and some would argue that Undertaker vs. Triple H was also just as big. It is therefore irrefutable - that in 2012, John Cena and the Rock combined were the biggest draws in the history of professional wrestling in north america.

CM Punk vs Jericho and Taker vs HHH weren’t major headlines.

WCW purchase, McMahon storyline, Chyna, and TLC 2 were major headlines and it’s nowhere close.

This attempt failed.

Wrestlemania 28 buyrate is solely contributed to Rock/Cena.

Wrestlemania 17 had multiple major headlines.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
In your opinion. You have no proof to indicate Rock vs. Cena was the only draw. There is irrefutable proof - that during this peak of Punk's tenure the city of Chicago was massively invested in his character and the city alone contributed massively to buy rates. And that is the bottom line.

Reactions: Vegeta

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
In your opinion. You have no proof to indicate Rock vs. Cena was the only draw. There is irrefutable proof - that during this peak of Punk's tenure the city of Chicago was massively invested in his character and the city alone contributed massively to buy rates. And that is the bottom line.

It doesn’t matter if CM Punk got pops in Chicago, he didn’t draw. He didn’t draw huge for his Summer of Punk, he drew the lowest ratings since 1997 at the time.

He had zero effect on the Wrestlemania 28 butyrate, end of story.

You may like Punk, but he wasn’t a draw and didn’t contribute to the Wrestlemania 28 butyrate.

Anymore false claims that go against the numbers and facts, then it’s clear you’re trolling.

Last edited:

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
You have no facts to prove that CM Punk wasn't a draw. Dwayne Johnson posting a tweet - proves nothing. CM Punk saying something - also proves nothing. They are both voicing opinions.

You keep talking about numbers and facts. But when you are presented with them - you just dismiss them. Also I'm not sure what the Summer of Punk - has got to do with Wrestlemania 28. That got nothing to do with what we talking about - a terrible attempt at a deflection. To even believe he had zero effect on WM 28 - just proves how delusional and bias you are and that nothing you say can be taken seriously.

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
You have no facts to prove that CM Punk wasn't a draw.

Your posts were already refuted, so Again:

Summer of Punk didn’t draw, MITB got 30,000 extras buys while Summerslam got 50,000 less buys.

Raw started dipping in ratings under Punk, to where they reached at the time record lows for the first time since 1997.

These are concrete facts. You liking Punk is your prerogative, but factually Punk was not a draw who only gained 30,000 buys from the previous years MITB.

He had zero effect on the Wrestlemania 28 butyrate which was headlined by Rock vs Cena. Punk didn’t headline the ppv, he didn’t draw ratings, PPV buys and his story with Jericho was never discussed in mainstream outlets. It didn’t contribute to the Wrestlemania 28 buy rate, whether you’re a fan of Punk or not.

Now stop derailing the thread with these troll off topic responses before I report you. This thread is about Wrestlemania 17 and 18, Rock/Hogan and Rock/Austin.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
1) Whoever said I like Punk? I certainly was never a fan of Punk.

2)Comparing buys for SummerSlam and Money In The Bank - is like comparing Steak to Bacon and Ham Slices. Wrestlemania can not be compared to these two events - but also you never mentioned SummerSlam once in your OP - so its another piece of irrelevant information.

3) RAW is based on buy rates - but TV rating. So good use of sharing more pointless information.

4) You have zero % proof that Punk wasn't a draw - all you have is telling me the Rock and Cena was a headline. This is not being disputed. They were just not the only headline.

And lastly in the original post you said this.

Wrestlemania 17 was truly a once in a lifetime event, the only true supercard where they had more than one major headline.

I have proven numerous times now - that this is a false statement. But calling me a troll and threatening to report me, because you don't agree with what I am saying. Just proves one thing - that you don't like that fact that what I am saying is factually correct.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
1612360191200.png

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
Comparing buys for SummerSlam and Money In The Bank

No one compared Summerslam to Money in the bank that’s a lie, I compared Punk’s MITB to the previous years MITB and Punk’s Summerslam to the previous years Summerslam.

He had zero effect on the buys, in fact they decreased, TV ratings also decreased, he wasn’t a draw, he didn’t contribute shit to the Wrestlemania 28 butyrate you’re dismissed.

I have proven numerous times now - that this is a false statement. But calling me a troll and threatening to report me, because you don't agree with what I am saying. Just proves one thing - that you don't like that fact that what I am saying is factually correct.

No you haven’t proven a thing except the you’re derailing and trolling.

Wrestlemania 17 wasn’t only Rock/Austin, WCW purchase was bigger news, then you had McMahon storyline, Chyna and TLC 2 as mega headlines.

Wrestlemania 18 only had Rock/Hogan as major headline, yet only drew 180,000 less despite stuff like the McMahon storyline which drew nationwide headlines on Bob Costas, Chyna who was doing major mainstream press for her book, TLC 2 being heavily hyped and the nationwide headline of WWF Purchasing WCW.

You either didn’t watch or you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about, these are the facts.

The fact that you claim you claim Punk contributed to the Wrestlemania 28 butyrate strips away any and all credibility.

You offer zero facts, you are trolling and derailing the thread.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
If you want to accuse me of trolling and derailing - despite the fact that I am making not only good points, but also factual points. And you're responses are just deflections from the facts. If you don't like people posting on discussions - or you don't like when people don't agree with or call you out for misinformation. Then I would suggest you write your post into google docs and only share them with people that you know will 100% agree with anything you are saying.

But saying that Wrestlemania 17 was the only true supercard to have more than one headline match is a lie.

And for the record - imo Wrestlemania 17 and 18 were both much better than Wrestlemania 28. But facts don't care about feelings.

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
If you want to accuse me of trolling and derailing

Which you are doing, you’re completely going off topic to discuss CM Punk and Wrestlemania 28 which have nothing to do with Rock/Hogan, Rock/Austin, Wrestlemania’s 17 & 18.

After this was pointed out you continued to do it on purpose, thus trolling.

You kept claiming Punk contributed to Wrestlemania 28 which is absurd and trollish, as CM Punk wasn’t a draw.

If you want to talk about how CM Punk wasn’t a draw we can make a thread topic about that, this thread however is about Rock/Hogan at Wrestlemania 18 and Rock/Austin at Wrestlemania 17

Stop Breaking the site rules and stay on thread topic.

saying that Wrestlemania 17 was the only true supercard to have more than one headline match is a lie.

There’s not another major WWE show with 5 major headlines.

Not guys like CM Punk who wasn’t a major headliner whatsoever, but actual Rock/Austin, Rock/Hogan, Chyna, McMahon/Mcmahons.

Last edited:

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
Your final point in your op is this:

If that is your final point - then I am disagreeing with it. And have successfully proven it isn't true. Nothing I've said could be considered as trolling. If you hadn't posted this final point - I would have just liked your post and moved on.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
RL, I’m trying to ignore you and act like you aren’t here, but I need to step in.

Them saying WrestleMania 28 was a Super Card, is valid to the discussion at hand. Since you said 17 is the only one. Therefore her presenting another card that had some big matches, is on topic.

Now carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
Them saying WrestleMania 28 was a Super Card, is valid to the discussion at hand. Since you said 17 is the only one. Therefore her presenting another card that had some big matches, is on topic.

Wrestlemania 28 was not a supercard, CM Punk was not a draw, nor was Taker/HHH ever a major drawing match.

None of those were draws or getting mainstream media attention like WCW Purchase, McMahon storyline, Chyna, TLC 2

Wrestlemania 28 was therefore not a supercard but a one match show, much like Wrestlemania 18.

That was refuted, therefore continuing to bring up Wrestlemania 28 as a supercard when it’s not and turning it into a CM Punk debate, is off topic, derailing and trolling

Continuing to claim Wrestlemania 28 as a supercard when it is objectively not, just like Wrestlemania 18 wasn’t a supercard, is trolling, while discussing CM Punk’s drawing ability is not the topic of the thread.

Your post is dismissed.

Last edited: